- Text Size +

 

 

Jessamyn Adams followed her supervisor around the store as she carefully jot down notes of what she needs to remember for her new job. She is currently under training to be a personal shopper for the celebrities and her supervisor is one of the veterans in personal celebrity shopping, Olive Goodyear.

“Always take note what are their favorite stuff found inside their fridge. Don’t buy something that is not found either in the fridge or in the stockroom otherwise, they will freak out. Celebrities can be sometimes annoying when they complain on such simple things. But you may suggest as long as you can justify it. Know what their needs are. Are they on a diet? Do they love sweets? Also know what the latest in the market is so that they won’t feel left behind. Also know what are the latest do’s and don’ts so that you can also protect the interests of your employers. Understood?”

Jessa nodded. “And if they like to change furniture, I should scour the whole America to get the finest yet affordable and the creative professional to do the job.”

“Exactly, Jessa. Take note of that. Heather Brown is very fickle-minded when it comes to her furniture. It was just like dressing up for a night out. Good luck on her.” Olive winked at her. They continued walking towards the poultry section.

“Heather said she’s allergic to chicken.” Jessa told Olive.

“Really?” They diverted away. “What did you say your last job was?”

“I’m a struggling entertainer here in LA but I don’t think that I could catch up with the competition. But before that, I’m a massage therapist. I studied that in school and decided then to start a spa business. But I still haven’t got enough capital to start with that so I struggled to go for other jobs with high salary but was unlucky. Maybe this job can help me push through with the business that I had in mind.”

“Well, that’s interesting. I hope you can somehow start that business sooner than you could imagine.”

“Thanks, Olive.” She wished it would happen soon. She wants to be her own boss and not to attend to someone’s orders just to get a high salary. They turned right towards the sweets section. Heather loves chocolates and so does she.



~~~



“Daddy, will you tell me more about Mommy?”

Nick silently groaned when his daughter requested that. He didn't want to go on with his lies but his mother insisted. It frustrates him more since that would also mean that IF he ever finds a woman he really likes someday, his daughter might not understand. His daughter would wonder who they are and why are they there when she already had a ‘mommy.’ But that’s only a big ‘if’ because he doesn’t have any plans on getting involved with someone in the near future.

“Y-your mom is a nice woman. She can be freaky sometimes but she’s fine.” He imagined the woman he was with inside the taxi.

“Freaky?” The child looked up to him.

“Yeah, like she’s laughing at one time then silent on the other. Hold on,” He pushed the grocery cart towards the chocolates section of the grocery. His eyes widened when he saw the particular woman he and his daughter are just talking about. He quickly turned on the other way to avoid his daughter from seeing that woman. His heart beats faster. Oh, no. Why is there such a small world between them?

“Daddy, I want some chocolates.”

“Later, baby. You will need to help me with something we can cook tonight.” Nick planted a kiss on his daughter’s head.

“Daddy, do you think Mommy can make special pasta just like yours?”

“I think she’ll do better,” Nick replied, eager to get away from that area as much as he could. He turned around just in time to see the woman came out again from a section of some items. Damn, he wished things weren’t as complicated as it already is. His daughter will be hurt from this craziness he is doing to her. Maybe one of these days, he’ll tell the truth to her. He had to.



~~~



Nick sighed tiredly as he went out of his car and went towards the toy store he saw at the boulevard. He just got through a long period of surgery with a patient at the hospital and he wants to go home now. He is excited to see his daughter who called this morning just to report that her teacher gave her five stars for her artwork. As a resident surgeon in a hospital in LA, he tried to balance his time between his job and his daughter. Daphne is the only girl in his life, no matter how many women have tried to catch his attention for all these years. He felt that he can’t have a relationship now. He is more contented on being just a father and not some woman’s man. He already found his purpose in life and that is as a father.

As soon as he got inside the exclusive toy store, there were already a number of female greetings that come his way. Maybe he hasn’t lost his charm yet but he’s more focused on being a father now. Their simple flirtations would never mean anything to him.

“Is there anything that you want, Sir?” a woman bravely approached him in a friendly manner.

“I think I’d like to look around first before I call anyone of you for assistance,” Nick replied as he arranged his eyeglasses on top of his nose. He saw the section marked as ‘Dolls’ and went towards it. It amazed him to find several Barbie dolls. The interest grew in him ever since his daughter started collecting the particular dolls a year ago. When Daphne celebrated her fourth birthday, he organized a Barbie-theme party for her. He even made a research on that just to give the best for his darling daughter. He indicated in the invitations that the celebrant would greatly appreciate a Barbie doll as a gift. And now, Daphne already seemed to have every version of the Barbie doll that is possible. As Nick walked between the shelves, he can even recognize some of the dolls that his daughter already has. Daphne’s collection was already considered a treasure, a lifetime investment in case she would need money someday. But that would be the day since Nick intends to save every penny that he had for a life of abundance for his daughter.

Nick is now at the part where the stuffed dolls are. He thinks that they are cute and Daphne would surely look charming while hugging a pretty stuffed doll in her arms. He smiled at the thought. He started to browse on something beautiful and unique. He gets all consumed with it that he didn’t notice a woman on the same section and he accidentally stepped on her foot.

“Ouch!”

“Oh, sorry,” Nick turned and paused. His heart beats faster. It’s the woman!

“You, again?” The woman pushed him away but not hard enough.

“Hey! Now, you’re being violent.”

“That’s because I don’t like you.” The woman retorted. She looked around. “Why are you here anyway?” She looked at him from head to feet.

“Excuse me but I’m not following you.” Nick replied and turned back to look at the stuffed dolls. “I just need to find something for my baby.” He noticed that the woman started browsing too. “And you?”

“I’m looking something special to give to someone too.”

They went silent for a while, minding their own business on what doll to get. Nick is starting to get frustrated because all the dolls seemed very pretty for him and he couldn’t decide on just one. He grabbed the three best dolls he can get and turned to the woman, who happened to be watching him. “Which among these do you think my baby would like?”

“What kind of baby, as in your girlfriend or as in your daughter?” The woman raised an eyebrow.

“My four-year-old daughter.” Nick replied. He didn’t know if it was disappointment that he saw in her eyes. “So?”

“They’re too colorful for my own taste. I’d go for simpler but prettier, like this one.” The woman takes one stuffed doll on a shelf. A little rag doll of a girl that has ponytails and it’s wearing a red flowery sundress. “She can be a best friend to your baby.”

Nick stared at it and realized that this woman is right. But he won’t let her know that. He grabbed it from her. “Okay, I’ll take all of these.” He started to walk away. “Thanks.”

“That’s too much for a four-year-old,” the woman commented. “Four dolls?”

“It’s alright. You should’ve seen her Barbie doll collection.” Nick answered and then continued to walk away.