- Text Size +

 

 

Nick entered the ICU wearing a protective lab gown. Only one person is allowed inside. And although Laura and Jessa wanted to see Daphne, they do not have a choice but to follow the doctor. Nick will only be inside for a while. He saw his daughter glancing around the place. She had bruises on her face and arms and it hurt him to see her like that. Tears welled up as he walked towards her. “Baby…”

“Daddy,” the soft little voice responded.

“Ssshh, things are going to be fine soon.” Nick kissed her on the forehead. “Tell me anything that hurts, baby.” His voice cracked as he says that.

“My body hurts, Daddy, like I’ve been bounced like a ball. And I want to sleep,” Daphne blinked many times and yawned.

Nick carefully smoother her blonde hair. His poor baby, he thought sadly. “You may take all the rest that you want. I’ll just be here.” He said quietly.

“Sing for me, Daddy,” Daphne said. A tear fell from her eyes. Nick soothingly wiped it away. “My favorite,” she added. He smiled to her.

“Anything for you, baby.” He kissed her forehead once again. “Things will be fine soon…” He started to sing as Daphne looks at him.


You and I must make a pact
We must bring salvation back
Where there is love, I'll be there

I'll reach out my hand to you,
I'll have faith in all you do
Just call my name and I'll be there


Nick knew that things will be fine soon. It will be a matter of patience to get through this hard ordeal with his daughter. Jessa is back and he will never let her go again. He will start a new life with her, building a family together with his daughter.


I'll be there to comfort you,
Build my world of dreams around you
I'm so glad that I found you
I'll be there with a love that's strong
I'll be your strength, I'll keep holding on

Let me fill your heart with joy and laughter
Togetherness, well that's all I'm after
Whenever you need me, I'll be there
I'll be there to protect you
With an unselfish love I respect you
Just call my name and I'll be there


He watched as Daphne’s eyes slowly close. She’s turning to sleep. He traced her face with his fingers. “Daddy’s always here, baby…”

“I love you, Daddy,” Daphne whispered, her eyes closed.

“I love you, too.”



~~~



“Do you love my son?” Laura asked Jessa when they were left outside while Nick came in to see Daphne. She stood in front of the younger woman. She finally met a woman that Nick deserves. She’s a good woman. She is quiet and meek when things are well and in order. But she can also be feisty and aggressive when things turn out bad and might hurt others. She’s also caring and compassionate. She has a big heart for everyone that surrounds her. Most of all, she is the only one who can accept Nick for the person that he is and not the wealthy doctor that everyone want to take advantage of.

“Yes, Laura.” Jessa replied.

“Are you going to love Daphne, too?”

Her future daughter-in-law smiled. “That shouldn’t be asked, Laura. It’s understood how much I love your granddaughter, enough to leave my life behind for a period of time then just to be her ‘mother’. You know how much I cared so much for Daphne. I see her as a daughter and when Nick and I get married, I will treat her as my own, my firstborn baby who’s given so much joy to us.”

Laura felt the tears as soon as her granddaughter was mentioned. She still worries about Daphne. “I only cared for the welfare and happiness of my son and his daughter, Jessa. I never meant for anything or to intervene when you’re already a family. I’ve already told you how Nick had been through so much: his devastation for his father’s death, the hurt feelings from Tania’s irresponsibility and his dilemma on the career path that he had to take despite the family business that was left for him. Daphne is his bundle of joy and everyday, he gathers strength to go and move on because of Daphne. But then, he also needed someone like you, who will remind him that he’s still a person, a father and a son whose family also needs him. He seemed to forget about that sometimes until you came along.” She took Jessa’s hands and held it tight. “You’ve made him realize the importance of having a family more than anything else. You’ve given him happiness and hope for another chance in love.”

“That’s sweet,” Jessa pulled her for a hug.

Laura embraced her as she wiped her tears. “Oh my, I don’t want the paparazzi catching me looking like this, tear-stricken,” she joked.

Jessa smiled as she stares at her. Despite the old age, Laura Carter still has the classic and decent aura of a high-class socialite. Her beauty still lingers. “You’re always beautiful.”

“Call me Mom, okay? I never had a daughter,” Laura said. “I longed to have one and now that you’re here, I must have been so good because He gave you to me. I couldn’t ask for more.”

“I’m lucky to have another wonderful mom like you.” They turned when the door opened and Nick came out. He took off the lab gown and the hair cap as he met their looks.

“Daphne is sleeping now. I sang her to sleep.” When he neared them, he pulled the two important women in his life into a tight hug. “Things are going to be fine, soon. I will assure you that.”