- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thank you for those who read the story. ;)

 

 

 

“You’re already a big girl, Daphne. Daddy and I trust you to go there with only your nanny. I want you to take care of yourself,” Jessa tells the little girl as she finishes the braided pigtails on her hair. “It’s done.”

Daphne turned to her and hugged her. “Thank you, Mommy.” She kissed her. “I love you.”

“I love you, too. Take care and enjoy yourself, okay?” Daphne nodded enthusiastically. She’s invited by her classmate to a birthday party in a house in Hollywood Hills. Jessa couldn’t come along because of her condition while Nick is out to get something for Jessa. The little girl went to her nanny who nodded to Jessa with a smile and then, excused them. When the two are gone, Jessa slowly walked towards the balcony facing the ocean. It’s already the time of her month, and her sixth-month being married to Nick. Daphne easily recovered and she passed the observation from the doctors who feared that her concussion was serious. But she came out well and alive. The driver of the car who almost hit them died of a heart stroke on that same day of the accident.

Nick also got the kind of wedding that he wanted and deserving for Jessa. In less than a month, he managed to arrange a grand wedding, through the help of a wedding planner in which he paid generously. Their friends and other family members celebrated the day with them.

Jessa turned to go to the master bedroom. She can feel something in her belly and she thinks that it’s her time. She’s still calm although she wished that her mother or Laura is there to guide her with her childbirth. But her mother is at home and although she will call to ask her to come, it will take two hours to get here. Laura is just about to arrive this afternoon from New York. Now, she had to endure this on her own. Nick is on his way home, that’s her consolation. There wasn’t any pain yet so she’s not in panic.

When she got inside the room, she takes out the baby bag that she already prepared for this day. And then she takes out a bag and began putting in some clothes and other stuff. She’s almost done when she heard Nick by the door.

“You’re leaving me?”

There was panic in Nick’s voice at the thought that she’s leaving him. She called her husband to come over. When Nick got near, she removed his eyeglasses and gave him a full kiss on the mouth. Nick’s arms went around her waist. “No, Nick. I’m just preparing to go to the hospital.”

Realization dawned in Nick. “It’s time?” He finished packing the things for her. He slipped the straps of the bags on his shoulders and ordered his wife to go ahead to the car. Nick was about to leave the room when he caught sight of an Elmo doll on the bed. “Where’s Daphne?”

Jessa smiled as she rolled her eyes. “Nick, you’re not that old. The kid asked for your permission last night to allow her to go to her friend’s party.” She didn’t say anything when he rushed her towards his car. And then she felt the wetness. “Oh, my God.”

Nick faced her. “Huh? Tell me what’s wrong, Jessa.”

“I think my water bag broke.”

Nick bit his lower lip as he backed out and drove the car towards the main road and out of the subdivision. “Don’t worry, Nick. It’s going to be fine.” She almost laughed at that. She’s the one soothing her husband from any worries instead of the other way around. She didn’t know that Nick can panic easily at times.

“I couldn’t help but worry, Jessa. You’re supposed to be in panic, not me. Daphne’s not here. Our two Moms are not here. I don’t know what to do.”

“Well, this is your second baby.”

Nick glanced at him and she noticed the worry in his face. “I wasn’t around when Daphne was born. And I’m afraid that our little boy might encounter something just like when Daphne was born…” his voice trailed off. They reached the hospital and he stopped it in front of the emergency room. He faced her and kissed her fully on the lips. “I’m so afraid, Jessa. You couldn’t blame me. I’ve been through so much with Daphne.”

Jessa kissed him again. “We’re great with Daphne. I’m sure that our little boy will be healthy and fine, too.”

“And also you…”

Jessa smiled. “This time, you’re going to be around to see your baby born, Nick. I’m going to make sure of that. This is going to be an experience to remember.”

They kissed once again. Then, Nick went out and went around the car to get her. Later, Nick was brought in the delivery room, wearing protective scrubs to accompany his wife.



~~~



Lord, please make my family safe, Nick prayed so hard as he wipes the sweat off his face. “You can do it, Jessa…” It hurts to see her scream in pain as the doctor instructed her. A little more push and a loud cry of a newborn baby dominated the delivery room. Nick felt a tight knot in his heart from the overwhelming joy of being there and witnessing a miracle before his eyes.

“Jessa, I love you…” He gripped her hand tighter.

“I love you, too.”

“Well, Mr. and Mrs. Carter, let’s all welcome our darling healthy baby boy.” The doctor announced as the baby was already cleansed and wrapped in warm and soft white linen. He surprised Nick when he gestured on giving the baby to him.

“He’s healthy, no defects or any problems, doc?” Nick cleared his throat.

“What are you saying, Nick?” his former colleague asked. “He’s fine, very much fine. Now, take your son. He’s crying. He must have wanted you to take him.”

Nick trembled as he carried his son in his arms. His eyes grew misty as he looked down on him and rocked him gently. He looked up and everyone was watching him. “He’s cute.”

“It’s rare to see Dr. Carter in times like this,” one of the nurses said. They laughed.

Nick smiled and turned to Jessa. He’s been wishing for a person like her in a very long time. She’s a great blessing and it must have been fate that one day, his car broke down that he had to take that taxi and accidentally met this amazing woman. Things may have been complicated at first but they surpassed it together, with lessons learned along the way. He learned a lot and he thanked God for blessings like those. He never expected that he’s going to be on a wonderful ride in his life.

… To think that it all just started in a taxi ride.

 

 THE END