- Text Size +

 

 

“Gina, when I said I need a part-time job, I didn’t mean it to be a catering service crew. I didn’t even know how to lift a tray,” Jessa muttered to her cousin as they entered an exclusive subdivision in the hills where mostly the rich and famous lives. “What’s their celebration anyway?”

“A birthday party for an old woman,” Gina muttered. “Don’t worry, cousin. I’ve already got an assignment for you and that is to only monitor if the food are still full in their containers and if utensils are still enough to accommodate their needs. The manager doesn’t want to mess up this time since she personally knew the son of the celebrant, some doctor in the hospital downtown.”

“Bachelor?”

“Single father.”

“Oh,” Jessa nodded. They reached the house where the party will be held and paid for the taxi fare. When they went inside the property, Jessa looked around in amazement. The homeowner must have been on a high-salary job to live in such a big place like this.

“Close your mouth. The flies may come in,” Gina chuckled. “This is big, isn’t it? They say that a few houses from here lives Reese Witherspoon and her kids. They may drop by later. Who knows? Come on, let’s get started.”

Jessa followed her friend. She has never been to a large house like this. It is even bigger than her employer, Heather Brown's, house. The doctor must have been earning more than the Hollywood actress, she smirked. All her life, she is used to seeing the simplicity of things, the humility of places and the simple joys of life. She didn’t really regard the difference between the poor and the rich but seeing the luxury that is in here, there is really a gap in the society between the less fortunate from the wealthy. She thought that how could a family of three lived in this big place when they can also live in a smaller place that is homier, more comfortable.

It was two hours later when the party is getting started. It’s almost eight in the evening and the guests started coming in. Jessa already saw the birthday celebrant from afar. A simple yet beautiful old woman whose smile never leaves her face as she greets the guests. The party is only a casual one. It’s more like a get-together of old friends for a long chat through the night. There was a jazz band playing at the corner of the garden while some of the guests dance to their music. She also spotted some celebrities and artists, duly respected in the industry. There were also some politicians around. As Jessa made another round to fill up the buffet table, she saw a familiar dark blonde head and her heart skips a beat. She groaned. Why is he here?

She saw him walking with a little girl. The man is laughing about something that the kid is saying and Jessa saw how he seemed to deeply adore the kid. It must have been a pain that surged in her to realize that he’s probably no longer available, that he’s now probably married and dad to a cute girl with adorable pigtails. The man must have felt that someone’s watching him. He glanced around until his eyes rested on hers. She couldn’t tell the expression on his face when he saw her but she’s sure that he’s surprised to see her there. She saw him walked away with the little girl. She, on the other hand, went back to the caterer’s staff area where they can have a rest for a while. She’s the only one there since the others were busy at the party. She will come out later, probably when the man is already gone. He’s probably one of the guests. Who is he? He must be someone of great importance since he’s been invited to this party. She bit her lower lip and looked at herself. She stopped the thoughts that played in her mind. She should not be thinking about the man and what would he think of her. For goodness sake! He’s already married and a father. For sure, he won’t even bother taking a second glance on her and think if she looks pretty.

“Why are you here?”

“Huh?” Jessa looked up and saw the serious face of the man. She stood up. “It’s a part-time job. Is there any problem with that? If I only knew that you’ll be here, I won’t even try to be here.” She frowned. “Wait. Who are you? We’ve been seeing each other lately that I don’t even know your name.”

“Nick Carter.”

“Well, my name is Jessa Adams.” She replied. “And I work here.”

“Can you try not to go out of this tent for about two hours?” Nick asked her.

“What…”

“I’ll give you a thousand dollars just to do that.” Nick snapped. He arranged the eyeglasses perched on his nose. He looked adorable with those spectacles, as if he knows a lot of things, Jessa thought.

“You’re impossible. Why would I do that?”

“Just do it, okay?” Nick turned but stopped when he saw who is at the entrance of the tent. Jessa looked towards the person and met the eyes of a young little girl.

“Daddy, are you and Mommy fighting?”

Jessa looked around to look for anyone but they are the only people there. Is the child talking about her as her mother? Since when did she get pregnant? By this man? Although the fantasies are tempting, it wondered her why does this kid called her mommy. Nick turned to her, his eyes wide.

“We’re not fighting, baby. She’s just asking about you since she just came from Italy.” Nick said while his eyes tell her to go with the flow of the conversation. Jessa still couldn’t get it. She just looked at the father and daughter inside the tent. The little girl has this look of excitement in her eyes when she went in the tent. She ran towards Jessa and hugged her.

“At last, I met you, Mommy.”

Jessa’s mouth dropped open. So this kid is Nick’s daughter. She looked at Nick in question but the man’s face did not give any expression on what is really going on. Jessa hugged the girl in her arms. “Yes, it’s been a long time, baby.”

Daphne looked at Jessa. “Dad didn’t tell me that you’ll be here. Are you the one who prepared everything for grandma’s birthday?”

Jessa stared at the girl. So, she is the granddaughter of the birthday celebrant and Nick is the doctor that Gina was talking about earlier. Nick is the only child of the kind philanthropist, Laura Carter. She wondered why the kid called her mommy. “Uh…”

“Daphne,” Nick called his daughter but his eyes are on Jessa. “Will you go back to your nanny for a while? Your Mom and I just need to talk.”

Daphne quickly nodded and kissed Jessa on the cheeks. “I love you, Mommy. I’ll see you later, okay?”

“Okay, baby.” Jessa smiled to the kid and affectionately cupped her little face. “Now, go what your daddy told you.” The little girl immediately went out of the tent. When the child is gone, Jessa stood face-to-face with Nick Carter. “What was that all about?”

Nick sighed. “I’ll offer you a hundred thousand dollars for a month just to portray as Daphne’s mommy.” He received a slap on the face for that. “Why did you that?”

“What kind of a father are you? That’s lying to your daughter.”

“Yeah, I know but I don’t have any choice. My mother weaved the stories to her when she found your picture in my pocket on the day we met at the taxi.”

“You stole a picture of me?” Jessa frowned.

“No, I didn’t. You actually left it on the floor when you dropped your things. I picked it up and didn’t get the chance to return it to you. When I got to my daughter’s school, she saw it in my pocket and asked if you’re her mother. Before I could reply, my mom affirmed that you are and I don’t know what to say anymore. The girl’s been longing for her mother ever since she had a mind to think about it.” Nick sighed. “Now that Daphne saw you, I want you to be her mother for a while until I finally get the courage to tell the truth to her.”

“Is that an order from you, Mr. Carter?”

“Yes.”

“Where’s her mother, your wife?”

“She’s not my wife but an ex-girlfriend. She left our baby after she gave birth and went abroad, never bothered about Daphne.” Nick looked down on her. “So, what do you say?”

“I can’t lie to a child, Mr. Carter.”

“So do I and I think you can help me make the task easier in telling her the truth that her real mother abandoned her,” Nick replied.

“Why don’t you just tell her instead? We can’t go on like this. It’s really not right.”

“Don’t you think I don’t know that?” Nick is frowning. “I can’t tell Daphne now. It’s complicated.” They stared at each other for a while, weighing each other’s situation. With a sigh, Nick started to talk. “Would you accept my offer now? A hundred thousand dollars payable in cash monthly until we tell Daphne the truth.”

The figures started playing in her mind. That’s enough money for her to start her spa business. But her guilt will eat her. She will work to lie to a child. That’s against her personal values. The image of Daphne appeared in her mind when the child hugged her. She felt the warmth of the child’s embrace, mixed with longing and happiness. She pitied the child. Daphne only wanted to have her mother but her father lied to her about it. Now, Nick Carter will be spending thousands only to justify a mother figure for his daughter until the time that he’s ready to tell the truth to her. “You’re the only person I’ve met who asked a favor but never say ‘please’.” She rolled her eyes. She drew a deep breath. “I will only give you a month, Mr. Carter, to tolerate on your craziness.”

“Good.” Nick quickly replied. “Then tomorrow, you come back here together with your things as if you just came home from Italy. I’ll prepare a contract that we need to sign tomorrow.” And with that, he went out of the tent.