- Text Size +

 

 

“Hi, Katie.”

The petite woman turned around when somebody greeted her and her eyes widened when she saw her longtime friend, Jessa. “Oh, Jessa.” She hugged her friend. “What brings you here?” She pulled her friend towards the side in the store where she is currently working as a supervisor.

“I’m just here to pay the one thousand dollars I owe you,” Jessa shyly replied. “That’s aside from the fact that I miss you.”

Katie smiled. “It’s alright. Thanks,” she keeps the money in her pocket. “I miss you, too. How are you? It’s been a long time. Did you already have a job?” They have known each other since she had her first work as a massage therapist in a spa. Katie worked as a receptionist until she resigned to work in a boutique where she met her boyfriend. “I saw your Mom last week. Please tell her that she lost weight and looked younger.”

Jessa chuckled. “My Mom would be glad to hear that, Katie. I’ll tell her when I see her. I’m currently in a stay-in job right now.” She tucked a hair strand behind her ear. “You looked great, by the way. It seems like you’re being well-taken care of by your boyfriend. Is he here?”

“Mommy?”

Both women turned to Daphne who is holding a doll in her arms. Katie looked at Jessa in wonder. Her friend kneeled down to the little girl. “What is it, baby?” Jessa picked her up and carried her. Katie still looked surprised at what is happening in front of her. Her friend already had a child? Since when?

Daphne turned to Jessa. “I’m hungry, Mommy.”

“Since when did you have a daughter?”

Jessa recognized the voice and saw Alex, Katie’s longtime boyfriend. He is also the manager of the clothing boutique that is located in the heart of LA. He looked at the girl in Jessa’s arms and before anyone can say anything, he takes out a candy from his pockets. “Hi. What’s your name?” he asked before Jessa would know what is happening.

“Daphne Louisse Carter.” The kid leaned closer to Jessa when the stranger spoke with her.

“Ah,” Alex grinned. “I knew it. I know I can recognize that features anywhere.” He turned to Jessa. “She got her father’s eyes. How did Nick’s daughter become yours?”

Jessa didn’t know what to do. How could Alex realize it that easy? It must be a mistake to come and visit Katie because her boyfriend is here to expose the truth to the young girl. And if that happens, Nick will surely be mad at her and they won’t know what will be the kid’s reaction to the truth. “Uh, excuse me.” She walked away.

The two was left in confusion. Katie turned to her boyfriend. “Who’s Nick?”

“He’s one of the young surgeons in the hospital who helped Mom last year. He also happened to be my high school mate.” They looked to where Jessa has gone to. She is currently talking with the kid and entrusting her to someone who seemed to be the nanny. “We’ve known your friend for a long time. I don’t remember her being pregnant or went out with Nick.” He spoke quietly.

“Then we’ll know… here she comes,” Katie said as Jessa returned to them. “What is happening? What does the kid mean by calling you ‘Mommy’?”

Jessa raised her hand to stop her. “Katie, you asked a lot.” Alex nodded. “Anyway, I didn’t intend to let anyone except my Mom know about this but I just wanted to drop by to see you and also give back what I owe you. I didn’t realize that she’ll come out of the car to follow me.”

“So?” Katie’s face grew concerned.

Jessa drew a deep breath and hesitated at first. But she trusted Katie and she’s been a friend for years. She can even borrow money from her like this one now where she came to pay her back. There may not be a problem somehow. Anyway, the contract doesn’t say about not disclosing it to anyone although she felt guilty that others would have learned about this. But drawing another deep breath, she changed her mind. Nick trusted her on this secret. Friend or not, she still should not tell anyone about the agreement. “Nick’s my boyfriend. His daughter and I were so drawn together that she calls me mommy now.”

“Oh, that’s not good. I mean,” Katie glanced at her boyfriend and then to her, “the kid will be devastated if ever you and Nick broke up. Don’t get me wrong, Jessa. I’m just stating on the possibility here.”

“I’ve told Nick about it, too, but he allowed Daphne to call me mommy. It’s weird at first but I got used to it.”

“How long have you been together?” Alex asked her.

Jessa shrugged. “I don’t know. I forgot. I’m so busy with so much happening around plus the overwhelming feeling I have for Nick that I lost track of time.” She laughed. When the two only looked at her, she decided to end the meeting. “Anyway, I have to go now. It’s been nice meeting you again.” She hugged the couple and then went out of the boutique.

Katie shakes her head. “You know, Alex, I know when Jessa is keeping something. And I just felt weird about this one.”



~~~



Nick placed the newly-printed files on a folder and opened the hard-bound book on his desk. Taking the pencil tucked behind his ear, he scribbled something on his notepad. For a surgeon like him, it is also important to be updated on what is the latest with medical technology. It helps to be knowledgeable in his job. Most of his patients preferred him to handle their medical cases. He’s mumbling as he writes on his notepad. He caught eyesight of his daughter’s picture on his desk and stopped.

He is only twenty-nine, one of the youngest doctors in this field of study. His competence amazed his colleagues and he takes it as an advantage to be better in the field of medicine. This is one of his passions in life. First on the list is Daphne.

He sets down the pencil and takes the picture frame. He never had plans of being a father without marrying a woman first but the unexpected came. Tania, his former girlfriend of three years, broke the news one day that her period was delayed and that she found herself pregnant.

Being a doctor and a lover of life, he was glad to hear the news although it surprised him. But Tania wasn’t happy at the news. She had dreams of making it big in the show business and she wanted to abort the child. It angered Nick and prevented her from doing so. On the first quarter of her pregnancy, Nick managed to prevent Tania from aborting his child.

By the start of her fourth month, Nick found out a way for her to continue the pregnancy. He proposed a large amount of money to her during pregnancy and after she gave birth. He also guaranteed that he would solely raise the kid on his own and wouldn’t be in the way of her plans to become successful in the career she chose to take. When Tania accepted it immediately, it angered and hurt Nick inside. He never realized that the woman he thought he loved and imagined to be his wife someday was never worthy of anything from him but only his money. He doesn’t care about money for he will earn it in his job anyway.

He gave her money until when she left the country and wanted to start a new life, never caring about her daughter. Nick knew then that he made the right decision that it’s better to raise his child on his own. And that’s how it has been. Daphne grew up not knowing about her real mother and now, she hungered for a mother’s love.

It frustrated Nick because he wanted to give everything for his daughter. He is very protective of her and no one can blame him. They found out that when she was born that Daphne had a weak heart. Tania has already left the hospital that time as soon as she had the strength. Nick cried a lot at that time. The doctors said that it was the result of the attempted abortion made by the mother and it complicated the growth of the child in the womb. It’s a good thing that she was born complete and normal. It’s just that she has a weak heart and it will be better if the baby was very well taken care of.

That’s the main reason why he couldn’t tell Daphne the truth about her mother. He’s afraid that she might have a heart attack. He’s afraid that he might lose her. He didn’t know what to do. If only he can tell Jessa to portray to be his child’s mother forever, he’d greatly appreciate it, no matter what the cost is. But he knew that the woman would never agree on that.

Nick realized that he already had tears on his face and immediately wiped it off with his white handkerchief. He wears back his eyeglasses and sets the picture frame back on the desk. He continued to stare at it until he heard knocks on the door.

He saw the charming face of his daughter and his heart warmed. Daphne’s bright smile brought an added light inside the room as the little girl happily went inside and hopped on his lap. He was showered with hugs and kisses and he felt that he’s the luckiest man. He had a very affectionate daughter and it guilt him more for lying to her.

“The baby wants to see you.”

Nick looked at the one who spoke and saw Jessa. She definitely doesn’t look like a mother with that yellow summer dress and her hair was braided just like Daphne’s. He smiled in amusement. This woman always reminds him of thinking about the humor in every situation. It always brightens up his mood. “Thank you.” He only said.

“You’re welcome.” Jessa said with a return smile. She glanced around the room. “So, you have a private office.”

“Yes. What do you think?”

“Daddy, you should change this picture.” Daphne told her father when she saw the photo frame that Nick has been staring at moments earlier. “You should put a photo of us now that Mommy is here.”

Nick and Jessa looked at each other. Surely, they don’t approve on that. A family picture will make it seem permanent on the situation they’re in. “Baby, I…” They turned when there’s a knock on the slightly opened door. A woman was standing outside with a clipboard on hand.

“Dr. Carter, oh. I’m sorry.” The woman was about to turn away when Nick called her.

“Is there anything that you want, Dale?”

The nurse smiled shyly as she walked towards the desk and puts down the clipboard. “Here’s your request for the record, doc.” She looked at Daphne. “Cute kid, doc.”

Nick smiled with pride. “She’s mine.” The nurse smiled and looked at Jessa. Then, she excused herself and went out of the room. There was an awkward moment between the two and Jessa chose to turn to the bookshelves on the corner. She should not expect that Nick would introduce her to anyone as Daphne’s mother for it wasn’t the truth anyway.

Nick watched Jessa moved towards the shelves. He actually panicked upon deciding if he will introduce her to other people or not. Just like the picture frame, it would seem permanent if others would see her as Daphne’s mother when she actually weren’t. It frustrates him that he didn’t have the courage to tell his daughter right now. “What did the doctor say about Daphne?” he asks Jessa.

The woman turned to him. “You didn’t tell me that she has a weak heart, Nick.” He saw a sudden concern and fear on her face.

“The doctor said that I’m okay, Daddy. I just don’t have to tire myself too much.” Daphne replied her father. She’s already aware of her condition and got used to the doctor’s check-up every month to monitor her health. Nick made sure of that.

“And eat healthy food, not junk food,” Jessa added to her. She turned to Nick. “She wants fast food.”

“Baby, you know what’s not good for you. Do you want to live here in the hospital? I wouldn’t like that.” Nick ran his hand on Daphne’s hair. He kissed her forehead. “Daddy couldn’t take to see you here in the hospital. This is for the sick people. You’re not going to be here so you will follow what we and the doctors tell you, okay?” His daughter nodded.

Jessa watched the father and daughter. She saw the look of worry in Nick’s eyes. She realized that her role here is more important than she thought it is. And it is more complicated. How are they going to break the fact about Daphne’s mother if the child has a weak heart?



~~~



Jessa is reading a book about massages when Nick came into the room. She stiffened by his mere presence and didn’t say anything. From the corner of her eye, she saw him walked towards the closet. She turned away. She tried to focus on the book she’s holding. Later, she heard the shower running. It didn’t take long for Nick to have his shower and moments later, he’s already out. She can smell the cool fragrance of soap and shampoo in the room.

“I’ll be sleeping now, Jess.”

That’s when she turned to him. Nick is already holding the pillows and a blanket in his arms, ready to make a set-up at the bottom of the bed. He’s only wearing a white shirt and a pair of soft cotton pajamas. “Why didn’t you tell me that she had a weak heart?”

Nick stopped on what he’s doing and looked at her. “It’s my decision not to tell you at first.”

“And what? What do you think would I feel or think when a time comes that something will happen to her that I don’t even know what’s going on? It will panic me, Nick. That’s a very complicated situation. You should have told me.” Jessa closed her book and stood up.

“Now that you know, I don’t know where this conversation will be heading,” Nick retorted. He continued setting up his own bed on the floor. “What do you want me to do? Say sorry that I forgot to tell you?”

Jessa’s mouth dropped open. “Oh! You’re just so arrogant! Why do you have to snap at me? I’m only trying to be concerned…” She saw him roll his eyes. What is he trying to imply with that? She stomped off towards the bed and grabbed a pillow. Without knowing what’s going to happen, Nick almost fell down when she hit him hard on the back with a pillow. He still hasn’t recovered when Jessa hit him with the pillow again. “Hey!”

“I hate you!”

Nick quickly turned to her. “Did you know what I did to the last woman who did that to me?”

“I don’t care about your last pillow fight.” Jessa threw the pillow at him. She glared at him before quickly walking out of the room. Nick followed her.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m going to sleep in Daphne’s room.” Nick heard her muttered and walked away. With an irritated sigh, he went back in the room.