- Text Size +

 

 

Nick couldn’t sleep, thinking about his fault. He couldn’t blame Jessa if she will act that way. He admitted that he forgot telling her about Daphne’s heart condition. He should not have retorted to her that way when she was only concerned of his daughter’s health. It amazed him to see that behavior from her. In just a very short time, she was easily attached to the child. Maybe because it’s the women’s nature to be loving and nurturing.

Jessa has this soft spot in her heart to easily care for Daphne even when she doesn’t know that about the child’s heart problems at first. Her concern may go deeper now that she realized it and will intend to give all the love and care that Daphne needs.

Nick lie his back on the bed. Sleep probably won’t come anytime soon. He decided to rise and grab his pillows. He went out of his room and made his way towards Daphne’s. He slowly opened it and saw his daughter curled comfortably within the arms of Jessa.

It formed a lump on his throat. Seeing his daughter being comfortable in the arms of a woman she thought to be her mother ached him. It clearly depicts how she deeply longed for a mother in her life. He is the worst father in the world for fooling his daughter.

Nick stared at the two sleeping form in a long time. It’s hard for him to think although the action would be only simple. He will just tell Daphne the truth. But what makes it complicated is that he and his mother already started the lie about her mother and second, there’s her heart problem. It may be hard for her to accept the truth. He couldn’t bear to see his daughter gets hurt.

He saw Daphne moved and opened her eyes. Ever since then, the kid is a light sleeper. She immediately saw her father and smiled. He walked towards the bed and knelt beside it. He kissed her forehead. “I love you, baby.”

“Daddy, are you and Mommy fighting?” Daphne whispered to him.

“No, baby. Why did you ask that?” He whispered back.

“She’s crying when she got here and then she hugged me. She thought I’m already sleep. She didn’t know that I know she’s crying.”

Nick looked at Jessa’s sleeping form. “Mommy is only worried about your heart. How are you now?”

“Jane said I’m not fine.”

“Why would your friend say that?”

“Because I told her about my doctor’s appointment every time. She said that I’m always sick that’s why I always go to the hospital.” Daphne said in a hushed tone. “Is it true that I’m not fine, Daddy?”

“Of course, you are fine.” Nick kissed her forehead again. “Do you feel anything in your heart? Do you have any problems with your breathing?” Daphne shakes her head. “If there’s anything that hurts you, tell us immediately, okay?” The kid nodded. She pouted her lips and he kissed it.

“Sleep with us, Daddy.”

“I’m a big guy,” Nick smiled down at her. “I don’t want to crush you. And besides, I might fall off the bed.”

“Then I will hold you so you won’t fall.”

Nick stared at his daughter. The beautiful blue doe eyes stared back at him with certainty that her father will give in to her request. She’s right. He moved to lie beside his daughter on the bed. Jessa is still in a deep slumber and oblivious to realize that there are already three in Daphne’s bed. The little girl snuggled closer to her father once Nick got himself settled.

“I love you, Daddy.” Daphne whispered. Moments later, Nick found his sleep.



~~~



Nick woke up and somehow felt refreshed although he only had a few hours’ sleep. When he opened his eyes, he saw a pair of blue eyes watching him. Daphne smiled. Her hair still disheveled as she sits on the bed facing him. “Good morning, Daddy.”

This is the nice way to wake up in the morning, he thought. He smiled. “Good morning.” He looked down and found Jessa still sleeping. Wow, this woman surely sleeps a lot when she gets the time for it. He slowly moved to rise from the bed and that’s when Jessa woke up. She seemed disoriented at first, wondering where she is.

“Good morning, mommy!” Daphne cheerfully greeted. Nick chuckled, seeing how cute his daughter is.

Jessa smiled, “’Morning, baby,” She was surprised to see Nick when she turned. “Hi.” She sat up. “I must have overslept.” She avoided his eyes. Oh, why can he be so cute even in the morning?

“You have,” Nick said. He was mesmerized by the simple way she ran her fingers through her hair and looked down to Daphne with a smile.

Jessa nodded. “I need to start now. Daphne, take your bath. I’ll prepare breakfast.” She said as she started to leave the bed. Nick does, too.

“Mommy…”

“I need to get going, too.” Nick stretched his arms and yawned.

“Daddy…”

The two turned to the little girl. Daphne is smiling. “What is it, Daphne?” Nick asked her.

“I’ve already asked Betty to prepare breakfast. I’m just waiting for you to wake up.” Daphne stood on her bed and began jumping. “Let’s go!” She opened her arms to Jessa and her ‘mother’ carried her. Nick only shrugged when Jessa met his look. The three of them went out of Daphne’s room.



~~~



Nick looked up when the door in his office opened. He saw the hospital director and also his friend, Dr. Kevin Richardson, entering. He sets down his pen and greeted his boss. “Good morning. What gives me the honor to be graced with your presence?”

Kevin raised an eyebrow and sits down in the visitor’s chair. “I’ve seen your daughter here yesterday together with a woman she’s calling as her mother. What’s her name?” He said directly. Nick knew Kevin too well and he doesn’t take any preamble when he wants to get things straight.

Nick suddenly felt uncomfortable in his seat. Kevin happened to be the son of a family friend and he has known the man since childhood. For whatever circumstances, Kevin would even play Dad to him sometimes ever since his father died years ago. And he knew that when Kevin brought up the topic about Jessa, the elder doctor is only concerned about Daphne’s health. And Nick is sure that Kevin wouldn’t like what he’s doing right now to his daughter. Kevin is already a married man and father to a young boy named Mason. Nick looked up to him for advices when it comes to paternal duties and he knows that he needs one right now.

“Jessa Adams.”

“Is she your girlfriend?”

Nick looked at him. “Yes.”

“Daphne thought she’s her mommy.”

Nick takes off his eyeglasses and rubbed his temples. “I let her to. Daphne’s been asking a lot about Tania lately. It’s frustrating so when I introduced Jessa, I let her call my girlfriend ‘mommy.’ And I know that it’s not right.”

Kevin shakes his head. “You can’t do that to the little girl, Nick. Considering that she has a weak heart, you shouldn’t have done this to her.” He drew a deep breath. “When are you going to tell Daphne that her real mother will never come back?”

“I want to tell Daphne anytime soon but I don’t know how.”

“You can start it by getting the right time now, Nick.”

Nick only nodded. He knows that but every time that he would attempt to bring up the topic about it, he gets tongue-tied and fear gets in the way.

“You should do that, Nick, before things come to worst.”

 

Chapter End Notes:
let me hear what you think. thank you for reading. ;)