- Text Size +

 

 

There was silence among the women when Nick entered the small pantry at the third floor near the nurse’s station. They discreetly watched as the good-looking doctor sets his container of pasta inside the microwave. While heating it, Nick turned to them with a smile. “Hi, how’s the day?”

“Great, doc, now that we see you.” One of the nurses replied. The women chuckled.

Nick grinned as he shook his head. “Well, it’s been great to see you, too.” He crossed his arms across his chest. “The patient at 304, is he okay now?”

“He had ten bullets in his body and amazingly, survived. He’s still in shock though. He never thought that his wife would do that to him.” A redhead nurse replied. Nick nodded.

“Doc, is that your girlfriend who was here with your daughter a few days back?” Dale asked, the nurse who was in his office when Jessa and Daphne were there.

“Oh, Jessa. Yes, great woman.” Nick replied. The microwave dinged and he takes out his food. “And she cooked this, Daphne’s favorite.” He even added and winked to them. “Excuse me, ladies.”

When he’s out of the pantry, the nurses looked at each other. The brunette one sighed. “Oh, I lost my chance with Dr. Carter. He seemed so in love with his girlfriend.”

Dale chuckled. “Yes, Jessa must be so lucky and Daphne’s already calling her ‘mommy’.”

They looked at her. “Really?”

Dale stood up as she nodded. “Well, it’s time to go, guys. I need to be at my post now.”



~~~





Nick saw Jessa reached the top of the stairs when he went out of his room. She stopped when she saw him. “Are you going somewhere?” she asks him.

“I’m going to the hospital. I just received a call.” He replied while juggling the car keys in hand. When he received a raised eyebrow in return, he asked. “What?”

“It’s not that I’m not impressed on what you do for a living. For a young man like you, it’s amazing that you’re an expert in that field. But you’re a father, too.” Jessa said. “You’re supposed to be doing your part to Daphne as well.”

Nick walked past her and down the stairs. “I don’t have the time for this now.” He stopped when Jessa caught his arm. “What?”

“Daphne will be having a part in their school’s talent show this afternoon. She already told you about it last night or have you forgotten?” Jessa released his arm. When she saw the questioning look on his face, she sighed. “Nick, I wasn’t hired to be your daughter’s nanny. If you’re not going to exert an effort on this, then I guess there’s no use that I’ll stay here any longer. You’re not making things easier for us to tell the truth to her.”

“Okay, sorry that I forgot. I promise that I will be there this afternoon.” Nick said and continued his way down the stairs. Jessa followed him.

“I’m going with you.”

Nick turned back to her. He realized that she’s dressed up to leave with him. She planned the confrontation so he will have no choice. “It’s no wonder that you don’t have a boyfriend.” He muttered and walked out of the house.

“What do you mean by that?”

Nick grinned when he felt her following behind him. He went inside the car and she followed too. “Because you’re domineering and you suck all the powers you can get from men.”

“I’m domineering?” Jessa exclaimed.

“And a dictator,” Nick added.

“What? I’m just telling you that…” She was silenced by a kiss. She never saw it coming. Nick leaned closer to give her a full kiss on the lips while his hands gently cupped her face. The kiss lasted for long that she wondered when it will end. And when he did, both of them were breathless.

“And you have the sweetest lips, too.” He kissed her once again. When he’s finished, he started the engine and without a word, he drove towards the hospital.

“Why did you kiss me?” Jessa broke the awkward silence between them. She received a chuckle in reply.

“Does it always have an explanation?”

“Why did you kiss me?” She asked again.

“Because I want to, is that a reason enough? I want to kiss you.” Nick replied. “And if you will ask me about it again, I will kiss you once I get this driving done.”

There was silence inside the car after he said that. Nick didn’t know if he’ll be offended that she’d rather shut up than to be kissed by him again. When they reached the hospital, Nick checked on what the call was all about. It’s his day off and when he was no longer needed in the hospital, they immediately left.

“It’s not part in our contract,” Jessa tried again as they drove towards Daphne’s school.

“I know but that’s a fortuitous event.”

Jessa couldn’t help herself but chuckle on that reply. “Fortuitous? Oh, my God.” She shakes her head.

“What’s the big deal anyway? Why are you so affected? Haven’t you been kissed by anyone before?” He glanced at her for a while before turning back to the road.

“I don’t kiss my employers.” Jessa stated. They reached the parking lot of the school. Nick turned to her when he turned off the engine. Jessa stopped fumbling with the seatbelt and turned to him. “What?”

“Remember what I said before?” He grinned. “You brought up the topic and you will receive my reward.” And with that, he kissed her once again.