- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I don't know how often this will be updated, but I'll try my best to update often. 

Chapter 1: The Beating of the Drum

 She was so excited that tonight had finally come.  Today she finally became “legal”.  The big 21.  Her family had rented the small banquet hall at Avalon, the fanciest hotel this side of Boston.  All her family was going to be there, even though the “family” was not that big.  In fact, it shocked her that they had even rented the hall to begin with.  It was just her, her mom, Faith, her dad, Daniel, her older brother, DJ (Daniel Jr.), and her younger sister, Molly.  Raina was the middle child.  She has aunts and uncles and cousins but the were spread across the United States.  Even some out of the country.  But her parents had invited some of her close friends to the party.  And the most important person in her life, other than her family, Matt Cole, her boyfriend and love of her life.  They had been together since their sophomore year of high school.  The party was scheduled to start at 7. 
 
 Raina was in her room getting ready when her dad knocked on her door.  She stole one last glance in the mirror.  She had went shopping with her sister last weekend to buy her outfit for tonight.  She had picked out a dress the a deep shade of green, her favorite color.  It was not quite figure hugging, tho she did have a killer figure, if she did say so herself, but she was not a fan of tight fitting clothes.  It hugged her hips, had a belted waist and came mid-calf.  It had a V front but not too reveling.  Around her neck she wore the necklace her sister had given last Christmas.  It had the birthstones of her and all her family in hearts.  It was her favorite necklace.  Her hair was swept up for the most part but had a few tendrils hanging haloing her face.  She went to open the door and her dad was standing there and she could tell he had something behind his back and he had an impish grin on his face.

 “Ok dad, whattcha got?” she asked. 

He tentatively took a step in her room and produced a corsage box.  He handed her the box and she opened it to reveal a beautiful corsage of green carnations that perfectly matched her dress.   Her face lit up and she practically leaped into her dad’s awaiting arms.

 “It’s beautiful Daddy, I love it.  Thank you so much” she said as she came out of the embrace to give him a big kiss on the cheek.  “Anything for my girl” he responded.

 He held out his arm for her to take and asked “Are you ready to go?”

 He accompanied her to the car, where her family was already waiting.  It was a well known fact that she was always the last out the door.  
 
  When they arrived at the hotel, she stepped into the banquet room and her breath was taken away.  The room was decorated so beautifully.  The food was on the table on the right.  Her family owned and operated an Italian restaurant so they catered the party themselves. In the far end of the room a DJ had set up his equipment.  Even tho it was a small party she wanted the local DJ there to play music.  She loved music.  Had all her life.   Some of her friends had already arrived.  Sam, Tina, and her best friend, Erica were already there.  They yelled “Surprise!!” and threw confetti at her.  She giggled as she shook her head to get the confetti out of her hair just as Matt walked in.  She squealed and went running for him and jumped into his arms.   He spun her around and put her down, placing a soft kiss on her lips. 

 Everyone had arrived now and the party was in full swing.  Presents were on the table waiting to be opened and everyone was on the dance floor having a great time.  Raina was slow dancing with Matt when she looked up at the door and seen a woman standing there.  She had never seen her before and just assumed she had wondered into the wrong room.  The woman then began making her way over to them.  Matt had finally turned around to face the woman and his eyes widened in horror.

 “Marissa” he said, “what are you DOING here?!”. 

Raina looked at Matt, her eyes full of questions. 

“Matt, do you know this woman?” Raina asked.

  “Yes, he knows me, very well in fact”, Marissa said, with a smirk and irritated look on her face.

 “He happens to be my boyfriend” snired Marissa.

Raina though she was going to swallow her tongue by the way she gasped. 

“What!!!!” she screamed.   “Matt, what in the hell is she talking about?”. 

All the color left Matt’s face.

 “Hunny...” Matt stammered.

 “Don’t you hunny me” Raina yelled at him.

“Just tell me what the hell is going on!”. 

Marissa piped up.   “I have been seeing Matt for over 6 months now. We met in a chatroom on the internet.  We chatted for weeks and then decided to meet.  And now I understand why he was only able to see me on occasional weekends”.

 Matt worked for a delivery service that delivered hardware to some surrounding areas.  Raina felt like she was going to faint but instead ran from the room. 

“Damnit to hell!!!!” Raina shouted at the top of her lungs as she kicked a nearby amp over.  She had somehow wandered into the small concert hall.

 “Damn him” she said again. , “God he’s such an asshole!”. 

She spotted a drum set on the small stage.  She had played a  in high school, and was really good at it.  Her teacher had always told her she had a lot of talent,  but hasn’t picked up a set of drum sticks in a very long time, 4 years to be exact.  Rick Allen, from Def Leppard, was always her favorite drummer.  It always amazed her how he could go on after having his left arm amputated.  What courage and strong belief in himself he had. She sat down on the stool and placed her foot on the bass drum petal giving it a few good kicks.  She started very slowly letting the feeling come back to her.  Then it picked up.  She was very rusty and took a while for the rhythm and coordination come back to her.  She started banging away at the snar drum and the crash cymbal trying to work out all her frustrations.     
 
 She was so intent on what she was doing she didn’t notice a visitor standing in the doorway watching her.  She had been banging away for a good 15 minutes when she stopped, out of breathe and wiped the sweat from her brow.  Then the stranger started clapping his hands.  She looked up and even tho her cheeks were already red with anger and tiredness from her jam session, they grew a little more red.  She didn’t realize anyone was in the small theater with her.  He could see she was visibly shaken by his presence.

 “Sorry I didn’t mean to startle you.  That was pretty good tho.  I was just passing by and I heard someone in here going nuts on the drums and had to stop to see.  Sorry if I interrupted you.” 

Raina once again wiped the sweat from her brow.

“No problem, I just didn’t realize I wasn’t alone in here.  I don’t even know who this stuff belongs to.  I hope no one gets upset that I used their equipment to work out some anger and frustration on.” 

The stranger approached the stage and extended his hand to her.

 “My name is Nick” he said. 

She took hold of his hand in a firm yet soft handshake.

 “Hi, my names Raina”.

 “Raina, that’s a very pretty and unique name” Nick said. 

Blushing, if it was possible to get any more red in the face, she said “thank you.”  She was studying his face and felt that he was somewhat familiar to her. 

“I sure the owner of the drum set is fine with your using it.  See, that’s my drum kit or rather my band’s kit” said Nick. 

Now Raina’s face was really pink. 

“I’m so sorry.  I just saw it there and sat down and wasn’t even thinking straight.  I was so upset I just saw an opportunity to let off some steam and didn’t even think about who it might belong to.”  she said.

“That’s alright.  Hey you ok?  You look like you could use someone to talk to right now” Nick said with concern in his voice. 
 
Raina sighed a deep sigh. 

“Maybe talking to a complete stranger would help me a bit.  But first, do I know you?  You seem so familiar to me but yet I can’t place you.” 

Nick smirked and let out a little snicker.

“Well, I’m a member of a well known vocal group”. 

Then the light bulb flashed on in Raina’s head.

 “Wait, don’t tell me, Nick Carter right?” 

“Yep”, Nick said, “the one and only”.

 Oh God, Raina thought.  She had been a fan of theirs in her teenie bopper years but had lost touch with all that after high school.  Brian had been her favorite.

“What are you doing here in Boston?” she asked. 

“I’m giving a concert tonig.  It’s my final one.  I go back into the studio with the other fellas next week” he replied.

 “Oh, then I’d better not keep you.  I’m sure your very busy.” 

Raina started to turn and leave but Nick grabbed her arm and then jerked back as if a jolt of lightening had hit him.  Raina spun back around giving him a stunned look.  Nick cleared his throat.

“No, it’s ok, I have 3 hours before soundcheck. I was just heading back to my hotel for a bit when I heard you.  If you want to go have a cup of coffee with me there’s a Starbuck’s just around the corner, that is if you have the time and want to.” 

Raina thought to herself, what the hell.

 “Sure if your sure you have the time.” 

“Yeah come on.” Nick said. 

Raina ran back to the hall her family was in and grabbed her coat.  She was in no mood to talk to anyone so she didn’t even bother telling anyone she was leaving.  She was sure they would all understand.  She would apologize later for leaving.  She then rushed back to where Nick was standing by the door.  He put his hand at the small of her back as he guided her thru the door.  He received a electric shock from her.  No, not like static cling but something that rushed through his body.  He shook it off for the time being following Raina out the door.