- Text Size +

Chapter 2: Getting to Know You

Nick still couldn’t get over the electric shock that went through  his body when he touched her.  By the look on her face she might have felt it too.  As they stepped outside a cold breeze came up behind them and made Raina shiver a bit.  She pulled her coat up a little tighter.  

Nick noticed her shiver and couldn’t help himself and he pulled her too him to help keep her warm.  He wasn’t sure why he did this and was more than a little shocked when she didn’t pull back.  They walked the block in silence to the coffee shop.  They got to the shop and Nick held the door for her.  Raina thought to herself ‘what a gentleman’ with a little smirk spreading across her face. 

“Whatcha smiling at?” Nick asked.

 “Oh nothing, I just love the smell of this place.”

“Me too” he replied and they walked up to the surprising empty counter.

 “Get anything you want, it’s on me” Nick said. 

“Well thank you kind sir” Raina replied, giving a soft giggle. 

Nick smiled and Raina ordered a Grande Toffee Nut Latte and Nick ordered a ordered a Grande White Chocolate Mocha.  They sat down at a small table and waited for their drinks.  Nick was playing with his fingers and looked up at her.

 “So tell me a little about yourself.  I know your name is Raina and you’re a drummer but that’s about all I know about you.

“Well” she started “There’s not much to tell really.  My life is pretty much boring.  My name is Raina McKensey, I’m 21 years old,, I started college but dropped out for lack of interest, I work at my dad’s small Italian restaurant as a waitress and I help my mom with the books.  It’s a family run thing.  I have an older brother and a younger sister.  And I was born and raised right here in Boston.”

 “Wow” Nick said, “I would have guessed you were into music or something with the way you were on those drums.” 

“Naw, I got outta that when I graduated high school.  I loved it tho.  Drove my parents crazy. I think that was a little of the draw I felt towards it” she laughed a little.

Nick gave a light laugh.  ‘God he has a great laugh and smile’  thought Raina to herself.  Their conversation was interrupted by the waitress bringing their coffee.  Nick took of the cap to his drink and added 6 sugar packets to it.

 “Not sweet enough for you already” Raina asked. 

“Nope, bad habit I suppose but that’s the way I like it, no pun intended.” Nick said with a wide smirk on his face. 
 
After a few minutes of silence, Raina asked him about himself.  She already knew some stuff about him but she wanted to know something that wasn’t printed in the papers and magazines.  She wanted to know a little bit about the “real” him.

 “So, now you know a little about me, now how about yourself.  Tell me a little about you” Raina commented. 

 “Well” Nick started, “I don’t know if you’re a fan or not, but I’m a member of the Backstreet Boys and have been for 10 years, I’m just finishing up my first solo tour, let’s see, I’m 23, I have 4 sisters and 1 brother, I love the ocean and my boat. That’s my favorite past time.  I have a speed boat race team I recently started up.  That’s all I can really think of at the moment” he finished.

Nick looked back down at his fingers again wondering what to say next.  Then he remembered. 

“Raina, if you don’t mind me asking, what got you so upset earlier?” he asked.  

She sighed deeply, running her hand thru that beautiful copper colored hair and thought for a moment.

 “My boyfriend of 5 years, Matt, has been seeing someone behind my back.  And he met her on the internet of all places.  She actually showed up at the banquet hall and all hell broke loose.  I just ran from the room and that’s how I ended up playing your drums.”. 

Nick looked at her, stunned. 

“Wow, I can’t believe she actually showed up at your party” he finally said.

“Tell me about it” Raina said.  “I mean, I thought we were actually going to get married.”

Raina seemed to have realized something and held up her left hand. 

“I completely forgot about this” pointing at the ring on her finger.  “He gave this to me our senior year, it’s a promise ring.  Well” she said as she took the ring off, “so much for promises.  I wish I would have remembered this forty five minutes ago, I would have thrown it in his face.”

 Nick gave a little chuckle then felt guilty about it. 

“It’s alright” she said as she seen the look on his face, “don’t worry about it.”.

She placed the ring on the table, spun it around and then got up and placed the ring in the trashcan.

 “Perfect place for it” she said.

 “Well, I’m about done, are you?” Nick asked. 

“Yeah but I really don’t feel like going back yet”.

 “Well, you’re welcome to walk me back to my hotel if you’d like.  We can sit and talk there.” Nick offered. 

“That sounds like a plan” Raina said, so Nick stood up and picked Raina’s jacket up off the back of her chair and held it up for her to slip into.

“Thanks” she said softly. 

“Your welcome” came Nick’s reply.

 Opening the door they left the coffee shop.


Nick led her back to his hotel and as he opened the door for her to enter, she thought to herself ‘this guy is a real gentleman.  Matt never did these things for me’.  It was kinda nice to be treated with the respect a woman deserves.  She also wondered, with him being in a boyband and all, if it was all just a ploy, but for now she just played along enjoying it.

 “There’s a bar that has some booths in it.  We can order some desert if you’d like or just sit and talk’ Nick suggested.

 “Oh, you said the right word!” she exclaimed.  “Desert!!!.  I’m such a chocoholic!”. 

“A girl after my own heart” Nick said.      

They walked up to the hostess and requested a booth in the back.  The waitress looked at Nick with big eyes but said nothing, just grabbed two menus backed up a few steps and turned and walked away.  She couldn’t have been more than 16 or 17 years old and by the look on her face, both Nick and Raina knew she knew who he was.   Raina gave Nick a big smile and Nick held his hand out for her to follow the hostess.  Once at the table Raina slid into the booth and picked up the menu, flipping to the back.  Nick did the same.  Raina eyes lit right on a picture of a huge piece of chocolate fudge cake covered in fudge, whipped cream and a cherry on top.  Somehow, when Nick seen the same picture she was going to go for that desert.  When the waitress came to the table Nick ordered the desert with two forks.  The thing was huge so they decided to share.  As they ate their cake and chatted about everything from each others childhoods to the future, Nick glanced at his watch.

 “Man, I didn’t realize what time it was.  I need to get upstairs and change and get back to the hall.” 

Raina looked somewhat disappointed. 

Nick said “I happen to have an extra ticket to my show if your interested”.

 Raina had really enjoyed this evening despite how it began.  She looked up with a huge smile.

 “I would love that.  Thank you.  How about I go home and change into something more comfortable to wear to a concert while you get ready.  I will meet you back at the hall.” she suggested. 

 “Sounds like a plan” Nick said. 

They said goodbye for now in the lobby and Raina stepped outside and into an awaiting cab.  Her parents must be getting worried about her so she pulled out her cell phone and called her mom to tell her what her plans were.