- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I know it's kind of a sad story but it's actually one of my best ones, hopefully you'll think so too.
This is something I was never ready for, it happened so fast that I hardly remember anything about it. But the things I do remember haunt me every day.

My name is Nick and I lost someone very dear to me, someone who I was going to spend the rest of my life with till tragedy struck. It was on a cold November night when it happened. My girlfriend and I were driving along a winding road up to my house when this asshole zoomed around the corner not watching where he was going. I wasn't either I was too into my girlfriend at the moment to realize until it was too late. I slammed on my brakes as Mary grabbed the dashboard. We got hit from the side which caused the car to flip. I was jerked forward into the airbag when it exploded, but on my girlfriends side the airbag never came out. Her head hit the windshield when she got jerked forward. Minutes or maybe hours later I came to we were on our side and my head was spinning, I grabbed my head in pain and when I removed my hands I saw blood on them. How hard had I hit my head? I didn't know. The first thought that came to mind was my girlfriend Mary. I looked over at her she had blood on her face and her eyes were closed. For a moment I thought she was dead but I saw her flinch and open her eyes and faintly say my name.

"Nicky..."

"Don't worry baby," I said reaching my hand to hold hers "It's gonna be ok."

She lightly squeezed my hand, I knew she was slipping. I didn't wanna lose her. I couldn't.

I heard the faint sounds of an ambulance in the background as I turned my head to look out the shattered window. People had started to gather as a cop rushed to my side

"Sir everything's gonna be alright, the ambulance is on their way."

"My girlfriend she...," I felt her hand slip out of mine and looked over at her.

"Mary baby no, you gotta stay awake. Stay with me."

She replied faintly "I'm sorry Nicky I can't. I have to go."

"No you don't, were gonna get out of this. I'm not letting you go till your time comes and now is not that time. Do you hear me?"

She nodded as I brought her hand to my lips. It was cold, she was giving up. The ambulance had made it finally, they ushered everyone out of the way and made their way to my car. The firefighter bent down "Can you move anything?," he asked as I moved my legs, I could still move. "Yeah but get my girlfriend first, she's hurt bad." He hurried to the other side and took a look in.

"We need a stretcher over here, NOW!" He pryed open the door with the help of a few others and pulled her out as another firefighter pulled me out. When he did I felt this really sharp pain in my arm, it was broken. I wasn't hurt that bad but she was. They rushed me to the ambulance and wheeled my girlfriend in. I looked down at her.

"Baby this is all my fault...," I started crying I couldn't help it

"Nick this isn't your fault."

"Yes it is if I had been watching where I was going none of this would be happening." She smiled and I grabbed her hand. The paramedic kept checking her stats all the way to the hospital.

When we got there they rushed her into the emergency room and me to get my arm looked at. According to the doctor it was a bad break but with a cast it should heal fine along with the cuts and bruises that were on my face. When I came out of the hospital room the guys were in the waiting room. Brian stood up and walked to me

"Nick what happened?"

"We got in an accident, some asshole sideswiped us."

"How is she?"

"I don't know...," I looked down "They haven't told me anything yet."

"You got pretty banged up," AJ said examining my face

"Yeah but Mary got the worst of it."

"I'm sorry man."

"No I'm the one that should be sorry, I should have been watching the road."

"Yeah but...this isn't something you could have predicted. She'll pull through."

But she didn’t.

The nurses and doctors worked around the clock to try to save her. She had told me in the car that it was time for her to go. No...she can't be gone. I at least deserve the chance to say goodbye. I got up from my chair and walked to the nurses station.

"Excuse me..." The nurse behind the counter looked up at me

"Yes sir, how can I help you?"

"Um...my girlfriend was brought in earlier tonight and I was wondering how she was doing."

"Mary Anderson correct?"

"Yes ma'am."

"I'm afraid she's still in critical condition the doctors don't think that she'll make it through the night." She must have saw me starting to get upset then said "If you'd like I could ask the doctor if you could go back and see her." I wiped the back of my hand across my eyes to dry the tears "Thank you."

She got up from her chair and walked back then emerged minutes later. "He said you can see her but only for a few minutes." I looked back at the guys and Brian nodded understanding that I needed to do this if she didn't pull through. I followed the nurse back to her room and she opened the door.

I walked in and sat in the chair next to her bed. My baby...My Mary was lying in a hospital bed clinging to life and I was the one that got out of this with only a broken arm. I would gladly take her place if it meant she would be alive. I reached out and placed my hand on hers lightly rubbing my thumb over the top of her hand.

"I'm so sorry baby...This is all my fault," I said in a low whisper. I looked up at her face she had some pretty bad cuts. If she died I would never forgive myself. I sighed still thumbing her hand, then I felt a weak squeeze. I looked up at her then and her eyes were open looking at me. I smiled weakly

"Hey Baby..."

"Hey...Nicky...why are you crying?"

"You can't leave me...I won't let you...," I said through tears

"I have to it's my time to go."

"But why now, why can't it be me?" She reached out and touched my face

"It's all in god's plan. And I won't be gone for good you'll still have me in your heart."

"I know...but it won't be the same. I won't be able to talk to you, hold you, tell you I love you."

"Yes you will I'll be watching over you but...I can't go until you allow me to."

"I promised you that when the time came that I would but I don't want this to be that time. I'll miss you too much."

"I'll miss you too baby. Just remember that if you ever need me I'll be there, maybe not as I am now."

"I love you."

"I love you too so much...," she took a shaky breath and I knew from the monitors beeping that she was slipping.

"Don't ever forget me Nicky..."

"I won't, I promise."

I heard the monitor continuously beep till it flatlined and her hand slipped from mine.

And she was gone.

I sat there in silence not saying a word, crying, nothing. This was gonna be the last time I was gonna see her. I slowly got out of the chair and leaned over her lightly kissing her forehead.

"Goodnight my love." I looked back at her one last time when I made it to the door then walked out. I went back out to the waiting room and rejoined the guys.

"Nick...what happened?," Brian asked as I sat in the chair and started to cry

"She's gone...and she's not coming back..." Brian pulled me into his arms and cradled me as I cried.

"I'm sorry Nick...it will be alright."

No it wasn't cause I still had to go through with the funeral and say goodbye all over again.