- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This story is written by request of a close friend of mine, and my BSBFCP colleague, Mau. This one's for you and for the Filipino fans who still believe in the magic of hope and love amidst the boundaries that come in between.

This was written in 2005.

Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope you will enjoy this. ;)

 

 

Nick frowned when he saw the paparazzi at the corner and taking pictures of him and the woman he’s holding hands with. They can never have enough. The cameras love him and the intrigues that surround him. “There’s my car. Let’s go,” He muttered to his friend, Jean. He will only take her home because she’s hiding from her boyfriend who’s been beating her. They have been friends since 2000 and they never came close into dating each other. The paparazzi, and the fans, didn’t know that fact. They assumed that she is related to him.

Jean followed. “Thank you so much, Nick. This is too much but I don’t know where I will go to.” She bit her lower lip.

“Oh, don’t bother. It’s alright.” There were flashes of light again. Nick sighed. They reached his BMW and sped off.

“My mom is picking me up tomorrow, Nick. Don’t worry,” Jean said. They are on their way to his house. “She’s taking me home to Colorado for a while. I just don’t want to see Greg again.”

“You should sue Greg. You don’t deserve that kind of treatment, Jean.”

Jean smiled. “I never really believed that you did to Paris what Greg has been doing to me. You’re a nice guy but not everyone knew it.”

“Oh, don’t remind me of her. No matter what I said in the interviews, she’s obviously a mistake. I can never love a woman like that. I may hate her but I will never beat a woman.” Nick muttered. “The media never wondered why she didn’t sue me for that. Paris is scared that she might blew her cover of pretending and lying over everything about me that if she sue me for the bruises, the truth will come out. It was all a lie. We broke up in June when everyone thought we did in July. She wanted so much publicity with all that movie crap and Carl’s Jr. Commercial that she had at that time.” He shakes his head.

“Plus the issue about Simple Life with Nicole.”

“That’s her fault, too. Nicole, however naughty she could be, is a sweet and nice woman. Paris wanted to move on and go with people who she thinks are ‘hotter’ than Nicole.” They turned down to a corner towards his place. “Oh, enough of that crap.” Nick smiled to his friend. “Our album will be out at the end of the year. Make sure to get your own copy.”

Jean chuckled. “Sure, Nick. I’ve supported your group in such a long time. You helped me a lot in my career.” She’s part of the Boys’ management staff. She received an affectionate pat on the head. “How about your love life? You’ve dated a lot of women since that particular ‘episode’ in your life but do you have plans in settling down? You’re not getting any younger. You’re rich and famous. I’m sure you put some investment on things. You’re smart and nice. But why being alone?”

“I chose to be single, Jean. It makes my life less complicated.”

“Oh, sure.” Jean glanced down the road. She doesn’t believe him.

“Actually, I don’t believe in marriage.” Nick stated and thankful that Jean didn’t pressed him more about it. It’s self-explanatory, in a way. He had a broken family. His dad is now living with his new wife and his mom is having a life of her own, too. He thought that two people could be very much in love, have children of their own and live happily ever after but it’s wrong. He experienced this side of the reality. His family was torn apart by divorce, his siblings were living on their own now and so does he. He’s happy this way. He doesn’t need to settle down to make himself complete and fulfilled. Being rich, famous and working on something he loves to do is enough for him. This is his life.



~~~



‘Incomplete…’

Nick heard his voice singing the final line of their hit song, Incomplete, as he sat and waited for the other guys to arrive at the recording studio. He smiled thoughtfully at the days when they are just starting. It has been a long journey and after fulfilling their dreams, they are now doing this for fun. It’s something that they are happy to do and something that they wanted to give back to their loyal fans that still supported them through everything.

“You’re reminiscing?” AJ interrupted his thoughts. He looked up to his old friend and nodded. “Since when did you become nostalgic? From the last time I checked, you’re only 26. Reminiscing is only for the oldies like Kevin and Howie.” AJ smirked and sat beside him on the couch. When Nick didn’t say anything, AJ looked at his friend.

“I was wondering about taking a time off. Paparazzi suck. They followed me everywhere.” Nick told him.

“They love you, they always do.” AJ shakes his head. “Where do you plan to go?” Nick shrugged.

“I got plans for you, if you’re interested.”

They looked up at the one who spoke and saw Nancy, their publicist, standing by the doorway. She closed the door and makes her way towards them. “I got a hold of information about this fan club in Asia that supported your group ever since you’re just starting. I talked to their coordinator and they’re willing to sponsor and organize an event to promote the group for the new album. What’s amazing here is that they already got sponsors who can provide everything for free in condition that your group will be in their country. But of course, they can’t answer for some things that you need.”

“What are those?” AJ asked.

“Like plane tickets and having a hotel to accommodate you. They couldn’t have anyone to provide you with those things for free, but they can give you special rates.” Nancy replied.

“We can answer that,” AJ said, glancing at Nick. “We can provide for that. As Nick was saying earlier, he needs to be away from here as much as he could. Maybe, this is his chance.”

“We’re going there at our own expense?” Nick leaned back on the couch. “It’s okay as long as it’s worth it. I mean, if we can sell records in Asia like we did 12 years ago, why not? Will it be in Tokyo?”

Nancy shook her head. “No. The Philippines.”

The two men gave her blank looks. They turned when the door opened and the other three Backstreet Boys came in. “What’s up?” Brian asked Nancy. She’s the one who called the meeting. Nancy repeated what she told AJ and Nick.

“I remember that place. Manila, isn’t it?” Brian smiled. “That’s where I got my little jeep for Baylee.”

Kevin nodded. “I remember that.”

“I don’t.” Nick said.

“You remember that.” AJ snickered. “That’s where you fell down in the stage while playing guitar while we’re singing Just Want You to Know.”

“I fell down so many times.” Nick still reasoned out.

Nancy rolled her eyes. “Anyway, how about if you go there? This fan club already talked to the management and offered to provide you the place to do a home video like that one in ‘A Night Out…’ It’s amazing how these ladies can do for you, guys. Let’s give the fruits of their efforts. How about it, huh?”

Nick glanced around. “I don’t know. I mean, the Philippines? Where the heck is that?” The guys glared at him. He couldn’t blame them. They pretended to love every place they go to but in his opinion, he’s not really elated when their itinerary includes Asia. He’s not patient in breaking through the language barrier.

“Come on, man. Show interest.” Brian shakes his head. Nick is indeed a big kid, a spoiled one for that matter. He got used to being pampered around and had others to make life easy for him. “This is for those people who worked hard to get us there. Well, almost.” Because he remembered that they’re the ones paying for their own transportation and accommodation but still, this is something different.

“We didn’t tell them to do that.” Nick replied. “Anyway, whatever your decision is, I’ll go. But I won’t stay longer than what’s been scheduled. I got stuff to do around here.”

AJ raised an eyebrow. Didn’t Nick just say that he wanted to travel just to get away from the pesky paparazzi which always follow him around?

“Like what? Going around clubs and party all night long? Is that all you want to do with your life?” Howie said. Nancy noticed the tension and discreetly excused herself. She doesn’t want to be in the same place whenever these men started arguing about Nick’s ways.

“The last time I checked, you’re not my father, Howie. And you spent your time a lot in clubs, too.” Nick rolled his eyes. “I said I’ll go, okay? End of issue. Just call me when you need my money to pay for the travel and hotel expenses.”

“You’re not leaving yet, Nick.” Kevin stopped him when he’s on the door. “We’ll talk to the manager about this plan and if it’s worth it. We also have to check this fan club, too.” Nick sighed as he opened the door and called for Nancy instead to come back. There’s no choice. If he wants to get this over with, he had to stay and pursue with the meeting.