- Text Size +

 

 

Anna shakes her head as she listened to the person on the other line. She bit her lower lip to keep herself from crying out of frustration. The person on the other line is telling her something about the investigation made regarding the death of her sister. She won’t let anyone who’s guilty of it to get away from it. Anyone who plotted it must pay.

“Are you telling me that it might not be the last time he’d do that?” Anna drew consecutive deep breaths. She told herself to never cry after the last time that she had when she tried to visit her sister for the last time, in her funeral. “What is the grudge towards my father?” She paused and listened. She started to walk out of her cottage. Her things are already packed and she’s ready for the early morning flight tomorrow going back to Manila.

“I think that it’s injustice. It’s not fair.” Anna looked out towards the sea, with bright moonlights shining over the surface. It looked peaceful and she wished that she can be like the sea someday, that amidst every storm that comes its way, it will go back to being peaceful. She longed for peace in a very long time, both in her heart, mind and soul. “Give me a report after a week again, okay? Thank you so much.”

Anna drew a deep breath as she ended the call. She leaned to the nearby post, her eyes focused to the sea. She turned when she heard footsteps. Nick came. She saw him stood beside her.

“You didn’t tell me that you’re going home tomorrow.”

Here we go again, she thought silently. She couldn’t understand why this man took a sudden interest in her. She’s probably far from what those women he has gone to looked like. She didn’t even classify herself as pretty, compared to her sister Faye. She actually felt insecure and she cannot appreciate that someone like Nick would take an interest in her.

“Why would I tell you? You’re not my father.”

“Have you ever told your father where you’ll be every time you’re away?” Nick asked back.

Anna frowned. “That’s beside the point. You, on the other hand, are not even a close friend.”

“Why are you being this hard?”

“Why do you always want to think that you can always have things go your way?”

“I’m not a spoiled brat, if that’s what you think.” Nick quietly said. They met each other’s look. Anna saw something in his eyes and couldn’t clearly fathom what it is. She tried to turn away but Nick immediately shows her something that is in his hand. It’s a bracelet made of native beads. He must have got it from the resort’s souvenir shop. “A friendship offering for you, Anna.”

She didn’t know why the simple uttering of her name sounds good coming from him. And when Nick smiled, she couldn’t help but smile back. She raised her arm and Nick puts the bracelet on her wrist. “Thanks. I didn’t have anything for you.” Her smile grew wider when Nick shyly showed her a similar bracelet from his pocket. She takes it and wears it on him. “I’d like to make it clear, Nick, that I won’t come with you to the US. I’ve got several things to settle here, including about my family.” She raised her eyes to his. That’s a big mistake. He is really charming. “B-but sure, we can be friends.”

Nick takes her hand and shakes it. Anna was mesmerized by the gesture. There was never a man who can make her feel so special but Nick. Her heart swelled. If only things weren’t complicated now, she can drop everything in her life and just be with Nick. But there’s the matter about the death of her sister and she is hungry for justice.

“I’d love to be your friend, Anna. I will never pass this opportunity to be your friend.”



~~~



Anna yawned for the nth time as she carefully placed her things inside the cab: the laptop and some other gadgets that are properties of the company she’s working for and brought along with her when she went to El Hombre Island. As she slid inside the car, memories of her last night with Nick came back to her.

After their mutual agreement to be friends, they spent the rest of the night talking with each other about a lot of things. She never thought that Nick is an intelligent man. For a famous singer like him, he had other concerns aside from music that includes business, politics and nature. It amazed her how he dedicated some of his time in discreetly helping some foundation in the US in promoting the preservation of the ocean. Nick said it never reached the knowledge of the media and he didn’t mind that not everyone knows about it too. He told her about the scandals he had in his life and how he was prejudiced most of the time but he doesn’t care because as far as he was concerned, he’s not doing anything wrong. It’s only that sometimes though, there are circumstances that led him to do what he needs to do making others misinterpret his actions.

And then, Nick focused his attention on her. Anna never felt comfortable talking with another person about her family dilemma before. With Nick, he made her trust him in a simple way and made her assure that he can be truly a friend to her. And she admits now that like his millions of fans, she has grown a liking for him too. She felt so lucky to be able to spend some time with him, and with the rest of the other guys. They can now consider her a new member of the Backstreet Boys fan club and she doesn’t care what other people may think.

Before she left the island yesterday, she and Nick exchanged phone numbers. The man promised he will call her and she’s expecting for it. But until now, the promised call still hasn’t made. Her musings were interrupted when the cab driver announced that they already reached the building where her office is. She paid the fare and went out. Just as then, someone surprised her when the person tried to grab her things. She looked up and saw Ivan, her gay best friend.

“Oh my God! Since when did you arrive from LA?” she excitedly hugs him and received a quick smack on the lips in return. She smiled. Ivan has been her longtime best friend since high school. He’s also one of the people who helped her get through her life ever since she walked out of her family’s house.

“Hey, you’re crying?” Ivan chuckled. “Come on, darling. I spoke with Regina and asked to take you out for a quick breakfast.”

“Oh, but she’s expecting the details about the Backstreet Boys interview that I had.” She didn’t protest when Ivan led her to his car.

Ivan raised an eyebrow. “Backstreet Boys? I can see that Regina is still a fan.” He chuckled. Regina, Anna’s boss, happens to be a family friend of Ivan’s. They have known each other since they were kids and it was Ivan who referred Anna to Regina, together with all the best recommendations he can provide for his best friend.

Ivan’s face went serious. “Anyway, I heard about what happened to your sister.”

“It’s unfair that it had to happen,” Anna replied. “I’m crying for justice, Ivan. No one deserves to die like that.”

“What are you going to do?”

Anna sighed heavily and she began telling Ivan her plans.



~~~



It was unexpected that Nick will go back to Manila earlier than the time schedule they had. The other guys were left behind in the island. They were surprised by his decision and although they have questions, they chose to respect his decision of following Anna in Manila. He called Intin to ask a favor to pick him up at the airport. He got her number after the taping of the mini-concert. He knew that Intin is a fan and he saw how lucky she felt that he asked for her number. But he just didn’t see her as a fan but also a newfound friend in this foreign country. Intin, and the rest of the people in the fan club, were so industrious in trying to maintain the momentum of their fans in the Philippines. This is one of the things he can do as a payback for all their efforts, by giving her his private number. He made her promise to keep it a secret from the rest though.

“I’m glad that you came to pick me up.” Nick smiled down to Intin. He and Marcus, the bodyguard that he brought along with him, put their luggage at the trunk of the car.

“Coincidentally, I got a meeting after lunch so it’s okay that I pick you up first before going there.” Intin smiled back and they went inside the car. Nick sits beside her in front.

“Are all the members of the fan club already working?”

“No. Would you believe that you still got fans as young as thirteen?” They laughed. “Some were still students, others were already married while most of us were young professionals. You’d be amazed at the diversity of the members during our regular gatherings. It’s fun. We try to do those things regularly not just to bond as your fans but also to reunite as if we’ve been friends for a very long time. It’s like a large female bonding time. You’d be surprised on the things we talked about other than you.” Intin finished her long reply. Marcus is nodding in agreement behind them.

“Well, this is off-topic, Intin. Did you know where Anna is?” Nick asked her.

Intin bit her lower lip. “Uhm, during weekdays, I know that she’s just at the office or somewhere nearby for her work. She used to go around the country for her job but she told me that when Faye died, she decided to stop going around for a while. I think she wants to find out the mastermind behind her sister’s death.”

Nick looked at the road ahead of them. That’s probably the reason why she didn’t accept his proposal to go with them to the US. Anna wants to stay for her sister. “For the years they’ve been apart, there’s still the strong bond between them as sisters.” He remarked.

Intin nodded. “You’d think they’re twins. Anna may have been jealous of Faye before but I know how she loves her sister so much. It’s sad that there’s a rift between Anna and her parents. She grew up in an unusual setting. She went to school through the help from her aunt and some friends and from her part-time jobs. She’s been through a lot and that’s what made her a tough person that she is today.”

“Does she have any boyfriend?”

Intin glanced for a while to him before facing the road again. “There’s none. She only had one but with the big responsibility she had for her own life, she doesn’t take time in love and relationships. We’ve tried to set her up to some men many times but failed. It’s either she thought it’d be a failure before it begins or the men gave up before it begins. She can be intimidating sometimes.”

“Would you set me up with her?” Nick saw the surprised look from Intin’s eyes and he made her speechless for a while. He watched as she struggled for words to say.

“Are you serious?”

“Why would you think that I’m not?”

Intin shrugged. “Well, it’s just that we have different cultures. I know how my fellow Filipinos work to court the women they like. While in your culture, I’m not familiar with how you treat your relationship with women. No offense, Nick. I’m only concerned with Anna.”

“Those things that you read about me in those articles on the internet and on the magazines weren’t all true, Intin.” Nick muttered. He’s frustrated that someone would try to see him as the celebrity boy that has been made up by the foreign media. Here he is, trying to be serious with a wonderful woman and her friend started to see him as the man in glossy magazines. He deserves more than that. “I’m serious with Anna. In a short time of knowing her, I like her in an instant.” He tried again but still, he felt the hesitation in Intin’s eyes.

In almost an hour of travel going to the hotel due to traffic, they reached their destination. When Nick and Marcus were done with the check-in, Intin spoke with him. “I’ll arrange a dinner meeting with you later with Anna. Now, how’s that with you? But I still have to check with her. She’s a busy person.”

Nick’s smile grew wide. “Call me for whatever the plan will be, okay?”

Intin rolled her eyes; a smile is on her face. “Nick Carter, I just don’t know how to resist you.”