- Text Size +

 

 

Anna filed the last copy of what she printed on a clear folder, ready to be submitted to Regina. It’s already three in the afternoon and maybe she can go and grab something to eat at the pantry. Her phone rings while she walks towards the pantry. Her heart skips a beat when she read the caller ID. Nick. She glanced around, hoping that Regina is nowhere nearby. Her boss might shriek in excitement if she will know the person who’s trying to call Anna right now.

“Hi,” she casually answered, careful that Nick wouldn’t notice her excitement from his phone call.

“Anna, guess where I am.” She heard his chuckle on the other line.

“Uh, let me guess. You’re in the middle of a forest and lost your way. Your companions left you without knowing it and now you’re calling me for help.” Anna bit her lower lip as she quickly slipped into the pantry for privacy.

“That’s creative but no. That’s not the right answer.” Nick chuckled once again. “I’m already in Manila.”

Anna almost dropped the phone in hand. “What? What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be back by tomorrow not today.”

“I want to see you.”

That one sentence made Anna speechless. Nick thought she hung up on him. “Do you expect me to believe that, Nick?”

Nick frowned. “What is there in me that people won’t believe?” He asked out loud, more to himself than to her. “Don’t I deserve to be trusted?”

Anna bit her lower lip. “It’s not that, Nick. It’s just that I don’t know you well yet. It’s not that I don’t trust you. It’s just that…” she paused.

“What?”

“I’m far from your league.”

It was Nick who turned speechless. His league? He always doesn’t get it. He sighed in frustration. Here it is, a woman he found interesting to get to know with and she’s afraid to get closer to him just because he’s some sort of a celebrity, a famous person with a high-end lifestyle. That’s unfair. “Anna, that’s not true. I’m just a person. Don’t look at me as that celebrity you see on magazines or on TV.”

“I know. I just can’t help it now. This is unusual.”

“Yeah,” Nick replied. “Listen, can I take you out for a dinner tonight?”

Anna stared at her hand. She bit her lower lip, weighing the consequences of what her decision will be. Maybe it’s time to loosen up for a while. Maybe it’s time to give herself a chance on this. “Yes, Nick. We can go for a dinner tonight.”



~~~



Anna went out of the taxi as soon as she paid the fare. She went in to the lobby of the hotel where Nick is currently staying. Nick told her that she may come in her casual clothes or whatever she feels comfortable wearing with. They agreed that the dinner will be something they need to do to start off as friends. Nick clearly wanted to get to know her better and Anna is not blind to see that the man is interested in her. She is, too. But her modest values advised her to restrain the feelings first. Nick is, after all, still a stranger for her even though he’s been a public property and his fans knew a lot about him. She wanted to see the person that is Nick, not the celebrity one.

She was about to go to the front desk when a big bulk of a man comes her way. “Miss Anna Gomez?”

“Yes, I am.” Anna smiled and carefully looked around for any one who may have recognized her too.

“Nick is at the restaurant on the fifth floor. Please, follow me.”

Anna only nodded and walked alongside the big man. He walks fast and she tries to keep up the pace. He must be some sort of Nick’s bodyguard, judging by his body built and his actions. She knew because her father had lots of bodyguards. Inside the elevator, she tried to start a conversation with the man. “What’s your name?”

“Marcus.”

“Nick’s friend?”

Marcus nodded, “and also their bodyguard.” He showed a smile for the first time. It’s been a quick ride and when the elevator opened to the fifth floor, Nick is already waiting at the lobby. Anna’s heart warmed at the bouquet of flowers in his hand. He’s wearing a white polo shirt tucked in his jeans.

“Thanks, Marcus.”

“Have fun.” Marcus replied and went inside the restaurant, leaving the two of them at the lobby.

Nick looked at Anna. She came in her usual clothes yet she looked so chic. She’s only a simple woman and yet, there’s something in her that stands her out among the women he’s been interested with. “How’s your day?” He gave her the flowers. “They are for you.”

Her smile seemed to light up the lobby more. Nick smiled back. “They’re lovely. Thanks. And my day is fine. As soon as I finished with my article and my pictures with you, my boss was so excited to see them all. You should go to my office sometimes so she’ll shut up, Nick. My boss is your hardcore fan.”

Nick laughed. “I’ll remember that. Let’s go inside.” They went inside. The restaurant is exclusive and the lights give out that romantic feeling within Anna. Nick pulled the chair for her before he sits on the one opposite hers on the other side of the table. The waiter arrived for the menus and moments later, he walked away with their orders. “You should eat a lot, Anna. You’re skinny.”

“I’m trying to.” Anna replied. “So, how was your day?”

Nick shrugged. “Nothing much. I spoke with my sister, Angel, earlier and told her about the beaches in El Hombre. She may want to go here sometime. The Boys are coming tomorrow for our flight in the evening.” With that being said, Nick’s face grew serious. “Anna, we’re going home. Please believe me now when I say that I’m serious about you. I like you.”

Anna was caught off-guard by that direct profession. It wasn’t a wonder for her if she likes him but hearing him say the words about her feelings for him, she finds it impossible. How could he like her? He met a lot of women who were probably prettier and greater than her. She couldn’t understand how he could like her in just a short period of time. “You’re making me feel awkward, Nick.” She admitted.

Nick bit his lower lip. “Uh, by the way, I spoke with my friend in LA. She’s a producer in a media network there and I told her about your job as a travel journalist. She’s interested in meeting you and probably to offer you a job to produce a travel show in the States.”

“That’s great. Let me think about it and let her have my contact number. Thanks, Nick.”

Nick only smiled. “No problem with that. Oh, and also tell Intin that our marketing wants to speak with them about this fan club they’re managing. It seems like they wanted to officially affiliate the club to our official fan club, Weird World.”

“That would be great news for them. Thanks, Nick, for doing all of these.”

“It’s fine with me.” There was silence for a while as they waited for their orders. “So, what do you want to do tonight?”

Anna raised an eyebrow. “Why are you asking me? You’re the one who have thought of this date, you should have a plan.”

“I’m not sure what the proper way to date a Filipina is. I read your cultures on the brochures at the hotel but I still don’t have the idea on where or how. I’m giving you the decision.”

Anna stared at him. He’s letting her handle their date. “Okay. I got an idea. Would you like to go around the city tonight? Since this will be your last night here, I should make use of my profession and tour you around.” Anna winked at him. The tension died between them when she saw the excited expression on his face.

“I’d love to!”