- Text Size +

 

 

Nick just finished with the shower when he heard the constant knocking on the door. He put on some clothes first before answering it. The couple, AJ and Kaye, was standing at the hall. The rest of the group arrived that morning and went straight to the hotel to stay for a while before they go to the airport for their evening flight back to the States.

“You just woke up?” AJ asked and went in the room.

“Hey, are you looking for something?” Nick followed the couple. They amused him, seeing how they fit right to be together.

“Marcus said that you went out with Anna last night.” AJ said.

“Come on, AJ. I don’t go to bed with every woman I went out with,” Nick rolled his eyes. “And Anna is absolutely not the person I’d take advantage with.”

“Have you had a great time?” Kaye asked him.

“Yeah. We joined the karaoke night at the hotel’s bar. You should have seen us.” Nick’s eyes gleamed upon remembering the time he spent with Anna. “It’s like I don’t want to leave here. I want to see her again.”

AJ shakes his head. “Did she know that you like her? What did you tell her?”

“She couldn’t believe it, telling me that she’s far from my league, far from the women I’ve known and dated.” Nick let out a frustrated sigh. “How can I make her see that my intentions were clear? That I really like her? That I even want to help her out in finding a job in the States so that she can go there and I can see her anytime? We may have had a good time last night but there’s still a part of her that regards me as the celebrity. I hate to think about it.”

“Maybe you should not push things for now. Give her time to realize that you are serious. Remember that you have different cultures and that make the boundaries between you. Go home to the States right now but try to maintain the communication lines with her.” AJ said.

“I think there’s this tradition in this country where the women still wanted to be courted by the men who likes them. Why don’t you try it?” Kaye added.

Nick looked at the couple. “You see,” AJ started, “we talked to some people at the island about their cultures and tradition. To be able to show and prove that your intentions were clear, you must undergo a period of courtship where you shower her with love, care and gifts and also the time and opportunity to get to know more about each other. When she thinks that you’re worthy of all the attention and that she likes you too, then that’s the only time that you can call her yours. It’s not like ours where in just a series of dates, we are already a couple. They say that in this country, most women are modest and traditional. I think Anna would like to get to know you better before giving in to the fact that she likes you too.”

“There’s also this matter about Faye’s death. I overheard her talking with someone at the island about investigating on who plotted the bombing in her sister’s car.” Nick sits on the bed.

“Then that’s one of the reasons why she can’t commit to anything especially in a relationship with you, Nick.” Kaye tells him. “If I were Anna, I’d focus on the death of my sister first especially that it’s something that I have to do since we were apart for years due to family circumstances. You should understand that, Nick. Anna is bound to find the person responsible for her sister’s death.”

Nick stood up. “Thanks.” He smiled to them. “I know what to do now. Where’s Marcus?”

“Where are you going?” AJ followed his friend when Nick went out in the hall.

“I’m going to Anna’s office and will say goodbye.”



~~~



“Aimee, kindly fax this orders to…“ Regina stopped on her tracks when she saw the person in the reception area with her administrative assistant. Nick Carter just entered the office lobby and behind him is Marcus, his bodyguard. She knows because she’s a die-hard Backstreet Boys fan.

With all the composure she can manage, she went to Aimee and gave her some instructions about the fax. She tried not to shriek in delight and maintained a professional image in front of her favorite Backstreet Boy. Maybe, she can impress him with her business persona. Nick is much more adorable in person. She turned to him after talking with Aimee. “How may I help you, Sir?”

“You’re Regina, right? Anna’s boss?” Nick smiled and Regina almost melted with that simple gesture. This man doesn’t know what he does to her. And he knows her name!

“Yes, I am, Mr. Carter.” Regina extended her hand and Nick shook it. “Are you looking for Anna?”

“Yes, I’d like to speak with her, please.”

Regina turned to Aimee. She will never leave the reception area as long as Nick is here. “Kindly tell Anna that Mr. Carter is here.” She turned back to Nick. “May I have an autograph and a picture with you, Sir?”

Nick chuckled. “Sure and call me Nick, by the way.”



~~~



Anna is staring at the computer monitor and tried to remove the knowledge that Nick will be leaving tonight. She had a great time with him last night and she will never forget his goodbye kiss before they separated. It was at the corner of the bar where he took her before they go out. It’s just a soft nip on the lips but she will forever cherish it. She knew she can’t be with him. Aside from the fact that they’re from different worlds, she can’t leave unless she will find out the person responsible for her sister’s death.

She looked at the gallery pictures in her phone. She took it last night with Nick. She will never erase it, will even print out a copy of it for her keepsakes. It’s amazing that in just a short time of being with him and knowing him, she has fallen for him. And she never thought that he will feel the same way about her despite the fact that he seemed strict and arrogant at first to her. Or maybe it’s just a part of him to protect his feelings first and when he realized that his feelings for her are for real, he gave in and told it to her. She realized that Nick doesn’t take any preamble about his feelings. If he likes her, he will absolutely make it a point to let her know it.

“Anna, are you okay?”

“Huh?” Anna turned and saw Aimee. “Yes?”

“I said, he’s here. He’s looking for you. Don’t you even hear me?” Aimee gave her a teasing grin.

“I spaced out. I’m sorry. Who’s here?” Anna fixed the ponytail of her hair.

“Nick Carter.”

“Oh,” Anna felt her heart raced upon hearing that. “Do I look fine?”

“Pretty.” Aimee winked at her. “Go there now before Regina abuses him. You know how our boss is.”

Anna straightened her blouse and skirt first before going to the lobby. She caught sight of Regina and Nick being taken a picture by Marcus. The other employees were there too. When she got there, Nick smiled to her, finished the picture-taking first before everyone leaves them alone, except Regina. “May I excuse Anna for a while?” Nick asked her.

“Sure. She may take a day off for a while if you need her. It’s okay.” Regina smiled widely.

“Thanks, Regina. You’re the best.” Nick leaned to kiss her on the cheeks and takes Anna out towards the elevator. His hand firmly gripping hers. Anna mouthed a silent thanks to her boss before they went inside the elevator.

“You just gave Regina a most wonderful gift,” Anna chuckled. “It’s her birthday tomorrow. What are you doing here, anyway?”

“I’d like to say goodbye.” Nick said. When the elevator reached the ground floor and they were out on the streets, a van was already waiting for them. They went inside and it sped off. “I’m taking you out for one last lunch.”

“I already had lunch. It’s three pm.”

Nick looked at their hands. Marcus is sitting in front of the driver and that gives them privacy they need to talk. “I like you a lot, Anna. I will leave for now to go home but I will never forget you. I have your number and your email address. I will keep in touch, okay?” He looked at her. Anna nodded. “Thank you for being a friend to me.”

When Anna couldn’t help herself but pull him into an embrace, Nick silently thanked the Lord for that. “I like you, too, Nick. Maybe in time, there will be a chance between us. But for now, you already know where my priorities lie. I still have to resolve everything here. I can’t go on without finishing everything.”

“Don’t be so hard on yourself, Anna.” Nick kissed her on the forehead.

“But I need to do this, Nick.” Anna looked up to him and smiled. “I know you will understand.” And for the first time in her life, she’s given a kiss full of love and passion and something that she will never forget in her life.