- Text Size +

 

 

Nick looked around his house when he found it clean. He will keep in mind to give his housekeeper, Dinah, a bonus at the end of this month. He pulled his luggage bag inside the house and placed it straight to his closet, as well as his backpack. He will unpack later. No one met him at the airport, not even Aaron who just left for his new business venture. He heard his dogs barking at the other part of the house but ignored them. He’s sure that Dinah thoughtfully took care of his pets too. All he wanted to do now is to grab the phone and make a long distance call to Anna. He didn’t know what is it in her that makes him see the lighter side of being in a relationship again. She opened a new hope for him that being in a relationship doesn’t always end in bad breakups or scandals. He trusted Anna and that she can help make things right and in positive perspective for him.

Anna answered in just two rings. “Yes? Who’s this?”

“Guess who?” Nick chuckled. He missed her lips. He only got to kiss her once and it’s not enough. He realized that he likes to kiss her again and just hold her in his arms. It seems like it’s the only right place he needs to be in this world.

“I’m sorry but I’m not in the mood with the guessing games. I’m busy and I’m tired,” was the snob reply.

Nick frowned. “Hey, Ms. Grouch. This is Nick. What happened?”

There was a moment of silence on the other line. He wished he knew what’s going on. He heard her sighed. “I’m sorry, Nick. I just had a hard day and I’m tired. Do you realize what time are you calling here in our country?”

“Would you believe that I’m not exactly the honor student in geography class?”

Anna groaned on the other line. “Sorry, Nick. It’s evening here. How are you?” The affection in her voice came and Nick began to smile again.

“I just got home and I called you as soon as I found the phone. I miss you.”

“I miss you, too.” They made a mutual understanding about having a distant relationship since both of them have a deep affection towards each other. Nick is proud to call her his. They would like to try on having this long-distance relationship although they know that there may be circumstances that would come their way and may test the bond of their relationship. Nick also wanted to keep it private too since he doesn’t want her to be put under the scrutiny of the press most especially that he wasn’t around to protect her. Keeping it a secret is the best thing they can do right now about their relationship. “Maybe in time, Nick, I can go there or you may go back here.” Anna added.

“There will always be a way. It’s not that complicated.” Nick assured her.

“Did you already eat?” Anna asked him.

“We went to a restaurant first when we arrived before spreading out to different directions,” he chuckled. “I’m just alone here in the house. My brother sent a text message earlier that he’s leaving for work. Incredibly, the place is clean. I still haven’t checked on the dogs though but I think they’re fine. My ever-reliable housekeeper has done a wonderful job here.” He lies on the sofa. “What about you? How’s your day?”

“I’m fine. Since Faye’s death, I was given the assignment to stay here and rather be behind the productions of the travel show.”

“Don’t you like it?”

Anna drew a deep breath. “I can do it. It’s just that my nature is to really go around different places and tell the people on the stories about it, just like I did to you. That pretty much interests me.”

“I think that the management did it out of concern. Knowing about what happened to Faye, they’re just protecting you. Even I am worried, Anna. I don’t want to think that someone might go after you and tried to kill you just to get revenge from your father.” Nick closed his eyes and prayed that Anna will be alright until the time that he’ll see her again.

“If I don’t get to him first,” he heard her reply. Nick opened his eyes with that reply and sat back on his couch.

“What? What do you mean? Anna, don’t do things that might harm you. Please.” He realized that his girlfriend can be stubborn if she wanted to get things done her way, especially to the things that she’s firmly devoted to.

“Don’t worry, Nick. I’ll be alright.” Anna replied on the other line. He can sense that she’s smiling by the way she talks on the phone. But his thoughts never ceased on her plans in finding justice for her sister’s death.

“Anna…”

“Trust me, Nick.” Anna said. Nick stared at the center table for a while, feeling the presence of Anna on the other line. “Nick? Answer me. Trust me. I promise I won’t do any harm.”

Nick shakes his head and sighed in surrender. “Yes, I trust you.” He lies back on the couch. “I trust that you won’t do anything stupid. Please remember that I’m here and if there’s any thing that you wanted to tell me, any advice that you wanted to seek or just any thing, call me or email me. I’m just here, okay? Don’t make me worried, please?”

“Okay, promise.”

Nick begins to smile again. It just feels good to have this chance to talk with her. “So, anyway, I have to tell you about this MySpace account that I had. You see…”



~~~



“How’s your trip? Was it great?” BJ asked her brother as she starts to prepare another dish for dinner. Nick called earlier and affectionately wanting her presence at the house. She gave in, knowing how she actually loves and cares for her brother. She even granted his request to prepare their dinner.

“It’s okay. The people were great. The beach was great. The food was great. We can go there sometime, you know.” Nick carefully placed the ingredients that his sister instructed him to prepare on a plate and segregated each kind. “What about you? Are you really considering that application you submitted in that school?”

BJ smiled. She took the plate from him. “I want to have a career, Nick. You inspired me a lot.”

“You know, sometimes, during the time when we’re just starting that show, I was in doubt if we’d even finish one season. I mean, it’s hard to renew the bond since it’s been a long time that we were together.” Nick tells his sister. He produced a reality show featuring him and his siblings a few months ago. It may have started roughly but in the end, their relationship as siblings went strong. And that’s been his plan all along. He couldn’t think of any other way either.

“But it’s a great experience, Nick.” BJ lowers the fire and let her dish simmer for a while and sits on a stool beside her brother. “We had differences but we’re able to settle it.” She takes his mobile phone. “I thought you’re going to change this.”

Nick looked at his phone. “I changed my mind. It’s not practical anyway. It’s more important that I have a phone where I can monitor you or Leslie or Angel,” he grinned.

BJ rolled her eyes. She started browsing the phone’s menu. “Angel’s in Florida, by the way.”

“Work?” Nick asked her. BJ only nodded in reply. “Sometimes I think that she and Aaron should have gone to school but they have other priorities now.”

“Just let them be to where they are happy with right now,” BJ told him. She looked at him. “Who’s this?”

“Huh?” Nick looked at the phone when she showed it to him. It’s a picture of him and Anna that was stored in his phone’s gallery. He smiled. “She’s my girl.” He said that with pride.

“Where did you meet her?” BJ raised an eyebrow and browsed for more pictures. Then she set it down and went back to the stove.

“In the Philippines,” Nick replied. He began to tell his sister on everything about Anna and how it all started.

“That’s ridiculous, man! You just met, regardless if she’s a daughter of a senator. You don’t even know when you will see each other again.” BJ said, shaking her head. She turned to him. “What were you thinking?”

“What do you mean?”

“Do you think that a relationship with her will work? Come on, Nick. I know you. You’re afraid of commitments even marriage. Now you’re telling me that you’re serious with that woman?” BJ rolled her eyes.

“Her name is Anna, remember that.” Nick stood up. “Besides, she changed my outlook. I like her. In fact, I think that I love her. And I don’t care if you don’t approve of this.” He went out of the kitchen.

BJ followed her brother with a look. She didn’t mean anything about not approving on his relationship with Anna. She’s just concerned. As a caring sister, she witnessed how Nick suffered with his bad relationships. She only doesn’t want to let anyone hurt her brother again. Unknown to Nick, she and her sisters agreed that they will protect their eldest brother from any woman who will try to get near him just to use him. If Nick loves to play the protector to them, they will do the same to him. Leslie and Angel should know about this Anna. They’re not going to intervene. They only wanted to make sure that Nick is going out with a good woman. That’s the only important thing for them.

BJ walked towards the counter and picked up Nick’s phone that he left there. She browsed for messages and luckily found Anna’s on it. She copied the number on her phone and placed the phone back to where it should be.