- Text Size +

 

 

Nick chuckled when he successfully made a pigeon out of paper after a little boy taught him how. The boy is the son of one of the sound engineers in the studio who is there and waiting for his father. While waiting, he focused himself on making origami.

“Wow!” AJ picks up the paper bird and threw it in the air. “It won’t fly,” he said when the paper fell down.

Nick rolled his eyes. “Of course. Hey, did the food already arrive?” It’s already lunchtime and they are currently in the studio to do a demo recording for their new album. They ordered some food delivery and it hasn’t arrived yet.

“Not yet, I’m hungry.” AJ picked up the bird and sits beside the kid whose name is Sean. “I think there’s a way to make a dinosaur out of this. Did you know how, Sean?”

Sean smiled and began taking another piece of paper. He’s deaf and mute and origami is one of the things he enjoyed doing most. Whenever he’s in the studio and the Backstreet Boys happen to be there, they would usually spend their free time with the kid, just like now. In a matter of minutes, Sean showed AJ his artwork. He made hand gestures telling the older man that he can have the dinosaur.

“Thank you,” AJ made a hand sign to Sean. He kissed the kid on the forehead. “The food is not yet here. Are you hungry?” he asks. Sean nodded. He may not hear AJ but he can read lips. They turned when Brian loudly announced that the food has arrived as he made his way inside the pantry. He, Howie and Kevin brought along the take-out food while the other men in the studio followed them inside. Nick immediately takes his order and sits back beside Sean. He just took a sip on his soda when his mobile phone rang.

“Tell Anna I said hi,” AJ tells him.

Nick gave him a look of wonder. “How did you know that it’s her?”

“I saw her at the caller ID. That’s her.”

Nick shakes his head as he went out of the pantry, leaving instructions that no one should touch his food. He answered Anna’s call. “Yes, baby. How are you?” He said as soon as he’s out of the guys’ earshot. They will tease him by how mushy he can be but he actually didn’t care. He just wanted to have his privacy whenever he will talk to Anna. They already know about his relationship with her and they promised never to tell anyone about it.

“I’m fine, just checking on how you are doing today.” Anna replied. “How are you? It’s evening here.”

“And what are you wearing, baby?”

Anna laughed on the other line. “Nick! Stop that. I’m not going to have phone sex with you,” there’s her laugh again. Nick couldn’t help it but laugh too. He’s always been teasing her about it. “Anyway, the reason I called is because I want to know if you already eat. I saw you on TV with the other guys and you seemed to have lost weight.”

“Don’t you like it?”

“It’s better that you lose some but you looked so tired. Are you still having some rest?”

Nick felt the concern in her voice and he smiled. It’s been a long time since someone really cared and tried to watch over him. He wished that she’s near so that he can care for her more than he’s trying to. “Yes, I still have lots of time to rest. Don’t worry though, Anna. This is part of my job. I’m used to this. How about you? Did you already found a lead on who would’ve plotted on your sister’s tragedy?”

“Nothing as of this moment but I won’t lose hope, Nick.” Anna sighed. “I missed you, baby.”

“I wish you’re here. I have lots of things in mind if you’re only here. I’ll take you to different places, let you try some food, introduce you to my friends and even to my family.” Nick sighed, too. He entered an empty conference room where he can have more privacy to talk with his girlfriend. “There’ll be a way, baby. Just be patient. When I found free time from work, I’ll go there to visit you. Or you may go here to visit me.”



~~~



Anna closed her eyes as she listens to Nick on the other line. “I wished you’d hold me tight in your arms and just sit right beside you. We didn’t spend most of the time that we have together and I regret that I took it for granted. We could’ve had at least a number of memories together. We could have had lots of time to talk and get to know about each other like the fact that I don’t like red roses because it seemed cliché or that I love being around children.”

“Yes, we could have known a lot about each other like as much as I love to write, I also read a lot of books.” Nick tells her, “or the fact that I’d also like to try my chance to be an actor.”

“Oh, I saw The Hollow, by the way,” Anna said. “Intin has a DVD and lent me her copy last week. You need more exposure, baby. You have the talent.”

“Thanks, baby.” Nick smiled. “How are Intin and their group, by the way?”

“They’re having this event next month but before that, they are going to be featured in a magazine here in Manila. I’ll send you a copy so that you, guys, can see. It’s gonna be great. It’s about their unusual friendship that was bonded only by the same interest and passion to music, most especially to the Backstreet Boys. You should be proud of them, Nick. They’re doing a lot to promote you here. I think they’re amazing. I sometimes think that they perform better here than on their own careers.” Anna chuckled.

“Really? They’ve done a lot of labor of love for us, baby. I’ll keep in mind to put them in my thank you note on the next album. Surely, they still didn’t know about us, eh?”

“No idea,” Anna replied. “I felt guilty sometimes, especially when I hear Intin told me about your past girlfriends and how lucky your next one is going to be since you may have already learned from the lessons you’ve had. Did you?” There was a pause. She wanted to bring it up, to know what he will say about it. Sometimes, she still thinks if they’re doing the right thing. She’s thinking if being in this relationship is a good decision for both of them. It still overwhelms her sometimes that a famous guy like Nick would be her boyfriend, even in a most unusual way.

“I knew better now, Anna.” She heard him reply. There was silence on the other line. Nick thought she’s fallen asleep when it's just that, she only didn’t know what to answer. “Are you still there, baby?”

“I just don’t know what to say. What do you mean by that?”

“To tell you the truth, baby, that before, I was more concerned about the benefits I’d get when I’m in a relationship. I was selfish and probably that’s why although they’ve had a special place in my heart, my relationships with them failed.”

And what about with me? Anna wanted to ask that but couldn’t voice it out. “Do you think you’ve changed?” she asked instead.

“Would you believe me when I tell you that when I met you, I was curious and interested? I began to weigh out the ideals I had about being in a relationship because I found the right woman for me, someone who’d understand me despite of my shortcomings, someone who’d stick me through the things I’ve been through and will be going through and someone of whom not can only be my friend but also a partner who I can spend a lot of time with just being me, the real person that is Nick Carter. You’re that person, and more. And I think that I’m also the right person for you.” Nick finished. “Do you understand that, baby?”

“Yes.”

“Thank you, baby,” Nick said with so much affection. “I wish I’m there to just hold you tight and watch you sleep in my arms.” Anna smiled but there were tears in her eyes. She sniffed. “Are you crying, baby?”

“You touched my heart so deeply tonight, Nick. Thanks for choosing and trusting me to be part of your life.”

“Now, we’re getting mushy.” Nick said and they chuckled. “Anyway, I cared a lot about you, baby. Take care of yourself until we see each other again. Just hold on, I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

“I think I will wait a little longer. You’re busy and so am I. I understand.”

Nick closed her eyes. “Yeah,” he sighed. “You need to sleep now, baby. I understand that it’s evening there.”

“Okay, I’ll sleep now. I still have to be early tomorrow.”

“Okay, I’ll call you. I promise,” Nick replied. “Good night, baby. Sweet dreams, sleep tight.”

“Take care of yourself, baby. I love you.” Anna hung up the phone. She’s just about to place it on her side table when it’s blinking for another call. She thought that it’s Nick but the caller ID doesn’t say anything but simply indicates ‘Private Number.’ She answered it. “Yes? Who is this?”

There’s a momentary pause on the other line before somebody answered. “This is BJ, Nick’s sister.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

thanks for reading. ;)