- Text Size +

 

 

Anna stared out in the night sky as her mind drifts off to the recent happenings in her life. It’s been almost five months since her life changed after her sister died. She’s never been the same. She felt that her main purpose was to find the person and the reason behind Faye’s death. And now that she did, she actually wished she didn’t try to know at all. It hurt so much to realize that her very own kin is the one behind this. But it also angers her on why they would resort to greed and violence just to get their worldly ambitions.

As Anna continued with her musings, her gaze went to the bracelet in her wrist. It was given by Nick and she treasured it so much. It is identical with Nick’s. She wondered what he is doing right now. She wondered if how many times did he try to contact her and looking for her because she couldn’t help it but doubt his real intentions to her. Once when she browsed the internet about him, she saw a recent picture of him and a woman in Kevin’s birthday party, the night after they talked on the phone when he’s in a charity event. He looked as if he doesn’t have a girlfriend in that picture as his arms were all around the woman. Is he really serious about her? She admits that she’s far from the women he dated. She felt lucky that Nick was even attracted to her and being the charming guy that he is, she fell for that. So even though they were from different sides of the world and of culture, she tried to be in this relationship with him.

Because for her, he’s the man she’s been waiting for in her life.

Being his girlfriend is an overwhelming experience, even if they kept it a secret from everyone. She loves the way he cares for her in simple ways like calling her just to say goodnight, sending email messages and even sent out special gifts a few times to her. She loves the way she felt about having someone around who will look out for her, to check if she’s okay; a man who gave her a moral booster during the times when she vented out her family frustrations and her dreams in life. And she loves the way he trusted her when he shared a part of his life, too, by telling things about him that no one knew, the real him as a person and not the celebrity that the world knew.

But there’s one thing she noticed that he never does. He doesn’t say he loves her. She always tells Nick she loves him over the phone but he will only reply it with ‘same thing here’ or ‘likewise’. Nick never said the L word. And now she’s beginning to think why. She's a very expressive person and it mattered so much if she will hear him say he loves her.

When her family ordeal is over, she will take the chance to talk with him. Not now. Things are still in chaos. She couldn’t make any communication as advised by her lawyer. She received death threats and she couldn’t believe it that someone would really bother to think about her as a threat. She couldn’t understand it. This is a family issue. And if her death will try to be the end of this, they are wrong. Her lawyer had enough weapons to make sure that the people responsible for Faye’s death will rot in jail. It doesn’t matter if it’s her father and uncle. She will fight until the end.



~~~



Nick looked up to Kevin. “Come again?”

Kevin turned the TV on in the conference room and browsed on the channel until he stopped in a news channel in Asia. The Backstreet Boys are in the conference room with their managers as they talk about a contract that’s being proposed to them by a popular fast food chain as the leading endorser. While waiting for the photocopies for everyone, Kevin said something that Nick missed out on hearing except the fact that he must have heard Anna’s name.

“The case is done. The judge has given the final resolution.” Howie tells him.

“Oh,” Nick stood up and stood closer to the TV. Indeed, the news is about Anna’s battle to fight against her father and uncle as the responsible suspects for her sister’s death. The media feasted around her as she walks out of the court house. She’s wearing dark sunglasses, and a woman is escorting her towards a car. She didn’t answer any questions thrown by the reporters around her. Before the video ends, Nick caught a glimpse of her inside the car and looking at her mobile phone. He immediately takes out his phone and called her. It’s busy.

“Damn,” he muttered. He looked around and found the guys looking at him. “What?”

“None,” AJ said and returned to the laptop in front of Howie. Others only shrugged.

“What are you going to do now?” It was Kevin who asked him.

“I want to go there but I know that I can’t.” Nick replied as he tried to call Anna again but still, there was the busy line.

Kevin turned to their managers, Johnny and Kenneth. “How can Nick go there? Is he allowed?”

“Well, Nick can’t just go there to be with her, obviously announcing to everyone that they’re a couple. It’s not that simple. Anna’s situation is still complicated. She may still be in danger and we also don’t want to put Nick in that situation. You have a new album and your time also requires you to be here to perform your promotions.” Johnny answered. “The important thing that Nick can do right now is to talk with Anna. Only they can decide on what to do. We can only be your support team in case things will get out of hand.”

Nick only half-listened to what their manager is saying. His heart beats fast when Anna’s phone is already ringing. Please answer the phone, he thoughtfully pleaded. His prayer must have been heard. Anna answered on the other line.

“Anna!”

Everyone turned to him. He quickly walked out of the conference room.



~~~



Anna’s heart is beating so fast when she decided to answer the phone. She missed Nick’s voice. It’s been a long time and it’s been torture for her on not to be able to reach out and contact him despite his effort when she received his message from her lawyer.

“I love you, Anna.”

“Nick…” She can only say. She’s overwhelmed by the words that he told her. She’s been waiting for that for so long.

“How are you? Are you alright? Just say the word and I’ll be there. Please, Anna.” Nick said on the other line. “Oh, my God. I’ve been very worried about you. I’ve tried to go there many times but they prevented me from it: my brother, my sisters, the guys, the management, said it was dangerous. But I just can’t sit here and not know where you are and how have you been. Anna, please. I’m just waiting for you. Let me go there.”

Anna closed her eyes. She drew a deep breath. “I need you, Nick.”

“Okay, stay put. I’ll get plane tickets today –“

“But don’t go here, not yet.”

“Huh?”

“Things are over Nick, but I’ll settle things with my family.”

“I don’t understand, Anna. Why can’t you just tell me that you don’t want me, or anything to do with me? Why can’t you just admit that you’re ashamed that I’m your boyfriend? You kept on making me wait here to let things slide with the problems that you have. You won’t let me help you, or just even be beside you. And it’s unfair for me. I want to be there so bad and be with you. I only stayed here because I respect your decision. Baby, I’d like to support you. I love you but it seems like you just disregard the feelings that I have for you.”

“I’m sorry, Nick. I just don’t want you to be caught up with this mess in my family.” Anna wiped her tears. “I love you, too.”

“You have an odd way of showing it. I love you still but I’ll give you time. It’s hard to decide on this now. I think that I’ll give you space for a while. If you realize that you really don’t want me, I’ll let you go as hard as it will be for me.” She heard him sniffed. Later, he’s crying on the other line.

“I’m sorry, Nick.”

They were silent for a while. Then, Nick wiped his tears. “Bye, Anna.”

“Nick! Nick! No…” Anna bit her lower lip as she tried to dial Nick’s number. But her phone’s battery is low. She tried again but moments later, the phone died down. “Nick…” Stupid me, she thought as she cried.