- Text Size +

 

 

“Thank you!” Nick said to the crowd as he and the other guys held hands and bowed down. Their promo tour has ended in the Philippines and the next day, they’re bound next to Malaysia. When they arrived yesterday, he was able to talk with Intin to ask for Anna. He learned that after her ordeal with her family, she went to the US. Intin just doesn’t know in what state Anna has gone to.

After his revelation in Oprah about his relationship with Anna, the media grew an interest on the woman that he had a secret relationship with, most importantly on the controversy that surrounded her and her family in this country. Nick was bombarded with paparazzi wherever he goes, asking him about Anna. He only replied briefly and not delving out on the full details about their relationship. That still remains to be private for him.

“I want to go home,” he muttered to himself as they went inside the tour bus that will take them back to the hotel. He went straight at the back and sat alone. He closed the curtains and then closed his eyes. He’s tired. He wanted to rest. He still wanted to stay and interact with the fans but right now, all he really wanted is to go home.

“Here’s your water, Nick,” Brian said. He took the bottled water and drink on it. “I heard you,” his friend said and took a seat beside him.

“What?” He tiredly asks.

“Something about going home,” Brian replied. “Don’t worry. Five countries left and we’ll have a short break.” He waited for Nick to say anything but the younger one only kept silent. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine.”

They grew silent as the bus easily made its way through the busy streets of Manila. “When Leighanne went back to Georgia when I don’t want to push through with that surgery, I nearly lost my mind. I don’t want her to go, let alone be out of my sight. There and then, I made my decision to go through the knife. The experience still made me cringe but it has made her come back to me. I felt so lucky even before I realized that I’m safe and have a healthy heart. Leighanne came back and we decided to get married. It’s been one of the happiest moments in my life…the feeling of being in love and having someone that I cared so deeply for.”

Nick glanced at his friend. “You missed her now, don’t you?”

“Very,” Brian sighed. “Do you love Anna?”

“Yes.”

“You shouldn’t have broken up with her.” Brian tells him. He didn’t say anything. “It’s one of the times where she needed you the most, even when you’re far away. How can you tell now that you love her when you leave her like that?”

“I know. It’s a mistake.” Nick muttered. His eyes are closed. “It’s crazy.” He continued in almost a whisper. “I never thought of having a feeling like this, Brian. She was a stranger then. I barely knew her. We came from different countries. There were boundaries between us and yet,” he sighed, “I fell in love.”

“That’s the thing, Nick. You fell in love. It comes at the time you least expected it and to someone you don’t have any idea you’d fell in love with. When I broke up with Samantha before, it was hurtful. But God has been so good. It wasn’t long until Leighanne comes along. Right then, I realized that I finally found the rest of my life.”

“I’m not going to get married yet, Brian.” Nick said.

“Sure, whatever you say, but you’ll never expect it by the time it comes.”

Nick looked through the glass window of the bus. Of course, he wasn’t ready to get married yet. He’s a man enjoying the fullness of being a bachelor. It just so happen that Anna came into his life and he felt that without her, he doesn’t want to be lonely. He needed someone around, particularly a woman of whom he can take care of and a companion whenever he needed somebody. He doesn’t want to be alone. When Anna never attempted to have any contact with him, that’s what he felt – alone. Maybe it’s time to move on without her. He’ll stop looking for someone who might not want him anymore in any way.



~~~



Anna pulled her jacket together and closer as she sniffed. She’s having colds as she’s still not used to the cold weather in New York. She’s also coming down to flu. She haven’t had any rest from her work at the travel agency especially now in its peak season. Thanksgiving will be in two weeks and the office is busy in handling trips in the different part of the states and outside the country. She couldn’t find the time to take a break for herself because of the heavy demands at work.

Ever since she came to the US to work at a friend’s travel agency in Manhattan, she never even got the chance to call home or check her email for anything. And that was about six months ago, exactly the period of time since she last talked with Nick. She missed him. She even lost contact with him because her mobile phone was robbed then at the airport when she arrived in New York. She came to the US to get away from the negative happenings in the past. She wanted to start on her own and she was lucky that a high school friend offered her once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to sponsor her stay in the States. She immediately arranged her visa and flew as soon as she was approved. She used almost all her savings for the one-way plane ticket. For six months of living in Manhattan, it wasn’t easy for her. She had to adapt to her new surroundings, life and culture. She had to be prudent in saving her earnings so that she have something to eat and she can pursue with her plan of living on her own. It wasn’t easy but she’s struggling. She always tells herself that things start in a hard way. She had enough patience to endure the life she’s chosen now. In good time, God will give her the luck she deserves. Right now, she had to go home and get warm.

‘He must have thought that I forgot about him,’ she quietly muttered to herself when she thought of Nick again. It’s been a long time. She felt nostalgic when she saw a large poster of the Backstreet Boys at the Tower Records. Their new album was a hit, especially the song Beyond Boundaries in which she heard in Oprah was written by Nick for her. She wiped a tear at the corner of her eye. If the Boys are coming to New York, she wished she will have the opportunity to see them even from afar. She’s having second thoughts about showing herself to him. Maybe within the six-month period of not seeing her or hearing anything from him, Nick must have moved on with his life. It may be embarrassing if she will just show up. He’s the one who gave the time off because of her stupidity. She admits it now. She couldn’t balance her time from all that was happening with her and from being Nick’s girlfriend that she set him aside. And she knew that it hurt Nick. She truly regretted doing it to him.

“Anna! Wait up!”

“Huh?” She turned in time to see Ben, a co-worker at the travel agency.

“You seemed to be occupied about something. I’ve been calling you and you couldn’t hear me,” Ben smiled. He gave her a paper cup of hot coffee. “I know you need this.”

“Thanks, Ben.” She sipped a little and they began to walk slowly. “It’s cold here.”

“Yeah, a little. Wait ‘til Christmas comes, it will be a lot colder. This thing is just prelude,” Ben replies. He grew up in the city and one of the first people who became her friends. He toured her around once and he’s really friendly. She felt comfortable being with him.

“C-colder?” Now, she’s trembling. “I’m not used to this weather. Philippines only have cold weather during rainy season. It’s a tropical country and it’s not like this during November.”

“I figured that out earlier. That’s why when you walked out to go home, Halley and I watched you. I decided to go after you since Halley is still left working in the office.” Ben said. “Don’t worry. You’ll get used to this in good time. Otherwise, you may go and find another work in Florida. Their climate there will be more suitable for you. Or if you don’t want to be in that kind of heat, there are still other cities in the south where I can recommend you.”

“T-thanks.” Anna replied. “I’ve thought about going to LA by next year. I have an uncle who lives there and he learned about me being here. He found out about where I am working and he called earlier. He’s inviting me to go there.”

“That’s good. At least, you have a relative here in the States. It’s still lonely to be living alone and has nobody to turn to.” They went silent for a while as they walk. Anna is constantly sipping her coffee and reconsidering her uncle’s offer. She actually declined but thinking of it now, Ben is right. It still feels good to have someone like family when one is in a foreign place. She wanted to feel comfortable and peaceful in her new life. Maybe, seeing her uncle won’t be a bad idea.

It was around twenty more minutes when they got to the apartment building where Anna lives with her friend. “Come inside and take a rest for a while.”

“Nah, I better get going, Anna. I just have to see you home because you’re pale earlier. And now you’re safe,” Ben smiled.

“Thank you.”

“Uh, may I ask you something?”

“Okay.”

“I got premiere night tickets for Angelina Jolie’s new movie tomorrow. Will you go with me?”

Anna smiled. Ben is a good man and it won’t hurt to go with him. Anyway, she’s no longer Nick’s girlfriend even though she still has her strong feelings for him. “Sure. I’m going to bring a lot of jackets.” They laughed.