- Text Size +

 

 

Faye bit her lower lip as she tries not to cry again. She’s afraid to come home in the Philippines knowing that she has surprising news to her mother and most especially to her father. As she looked to the window and saw the fading view of Los Angeles in sight, she knew that there’s no point of turning back now. This is it.

She glanced when the teenager beside her keeps on moving around. “Excuse me. Is there something wrong?”

The young lady blushed. “You’re a Filipino, right?” she asked instead. Faye only nodded. “Kilala mo ba ang BSB?” the teenager asked her if she knows BSB. Who’s that?

“Huh?” Faye gave her a wondering look.

“Never mind. It just so happened that they’re on the same plane with us. Can you believe that? The best guys in the world are here on the same plane. They’re at the first class section, at the second deck.” She pointed her fingers upwards, indicating the first class section on the second deck near the cockpit of the Boeing plane. “I got to do something to at least take a picture with Brian. This is amazing. I love this trip.” The young lady continued to talk. Faye looked to where the aisle leads to the first class section. BSB? Who are they? She must have said it aloud that the woman turned to her in surprise. “Gosh, don’t you know them?”

“Should I know?” Faye politely smiled. “Actually, I’m more into Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

“You’re impossible. By the way, I’m Rhiz.”

“Faye.” They were about to shake hands when she felt something weird in her stomach. She felt like throwing up. “Uh, excuse me.” She hurried towards where the lavatory is. She saw a man probably on his way too and she hurriedly reached the lavatory before he did.

“Hey!”

Faye closed the door and began throwing up. But none came out. Tears formed in her eyes as she thinks of her situation. Her father’s going to kill her for this once she learns it. Damn, going home must be a mistake. She heard a knock on the door. “Are you alright?”

“Go and pee on the other lavatory. I’m so sorry.” She said. She couldn’t mistake the croak in her voice. Anyone who’d hear it obviously can tell that she’s crying. Her eyes widened when the door moved. The man deliberately opened the door. “Get out of here.” She hissed. She tried to close it.

“I don’t know why I’m doing this. Anyway, I already used the other lavatory. The one upstairs are full.” The man shakes his head. “Are you alright? I heard you from the outside. You’re crying.”

Faye looked at the man. He’s cute. She noticed that immediately. She wished she can see his eyes because he’s wearing some cool shades. “Thanks for the concern. It’s none of your business.” She cleaned her face, not minding that the man still stood there. When she’s done, she faced him again. “What?”

The man only shrugged as he looked down to her. He stepped aside and let her pass him by. He then, turned back towards the first class section.

Faye, on the other hand, found her seat and settled herself. Rhiz is now busy with her iPod to even bother acknowledging her comeback. Faye turned to the window of the plane. She must have a plan. It will be very humiliating if her father learns that she’s pregnant. She spent years in the US to study and her family has been expecting a lot from her to manage their business. But once they learn about her pregnancy, she’s going to lose their trust. She’s going to be a shame in her family. That’s how it normally goes in most families in the Philippines.

Being a Catholic country, Filipinos grew accustomed to the sanctity of marriage and the legitimacy of the children who will be born with complete parents. Even in this new millennium, Filipinos were mostly conservative when it comes to moral and religious values in accordance to the teachings of the Catholic Church. And that’s what worries Faye. Her family is a devout Catholic and it fears her that they might not accept that she engaged herself in pre-marital sex and her baby may be born without knowing its father. Her boyfriend ran away from his responsibility when he learned she’s pregnant.

Rhiz left her seat, in which Faye didn’t mind. That girl must have a plan already on how to get an autograph to those singers she’s talking about. She, on the other hand, is hungry. She brought along some fries from McDonalds as she craves for it. She unearthed the take-out food from where she thoughtfully placed it and began munching on the fries.

“That’s a whole lot of cholesterol, considering that you’re pregnant.”

Faye looked up and once again, saw the same man. She only smiled and offered him a share of her fries. “I’m sorry if I’ve been snappy there.” The man sits beside her. “What are you doing? Where do you sit by the way?”

The man gestured his finger upwards. First class. Okay. This is a special guy, considering he can afford first class. “By the way, I need air from the people there. It’s suffocating. So I thought of looking for you down here.”

“Why?”

“Because you have fries?” The man smiled. “”By the way, I’m AJ.”

“Faye.” AJ takes a handful of fries and began munching on it while he’s sitting beside her. “Is it your first time in the Philippines?” She asks him.

AJ shakes his head. This woman obviously doesn’t know anything about him or his group. “It will be my third time. There’s business that I need to attend to with my four other friends. If you’re interested, you can go to our show. I’ll give you VIP passes. You may bring a friend along with you.”

“Business? Show?” Faye thought for a while. “My seatmate here was telling me that there are some VIPs at the first class section. Are you one of them? The singers?”

AJ chuckled. “I don’t see myself as a VIP. I’m just simply doing my job.” He continued eating the fries in his hand.

“So, who are you?”

AJ turned to her with that infectious smile. Faye couldn’t help but felt her knees go weak. “Backstreet Boys.”

Faye looked at him. “Oh. Yeah, I think I heard of you before.” AJ raised an eyebrow. “Really. I’m sorry that I didn’t recognize you. Why are you going to Manila? I didn’t know that you even considered going there. I mean, it’s not the same as Canada or Sydney…”

“But we have great fans there.” AJ smiled. He began telling her the entire story about their trip. He wasn’t finished yet when they were interrupted by a loud gasp.

Faye saw Rhiz. “Oh, Rhiz. I’d like you to meet AJ.”

“I know…” Rhiz said, in almost a whisper. AJ shakes her hand. “I’m sorry but you know that it wasn’t everyday that I find my idol sitting in my plane seat. Can I have a picture with you?” AJ agreed with an amused smile. Faye volunteered to take the picture and afterwards, Rhiz took pictures of them too. It wasn’t long when AJ bid goodbye to them to go back to his seat. When he’s gone, Rhiz hugged Faye. “Wow, Faye. You just made me really happy.”

Faye laughed. “I’m glad I did.” She hugged her back. She’s glad she’s able to make someone happy, even if she is very lonely.