- Text Size +

 

 

 

Nick threw the reading material, if one would call it as it is, in the trash bin and muttered a curse. He didn’t know that there were paparazzi lurking somewhere in the hotel lobby when Julie kissed him. What if Anna sees it? He might lose his chance. He turned to Aaron. It’s Thanksgiving and they are spending it with the rest of the group in the hotel’s restaurant.

“Do you think she’ll see it?” He asks Aaron.

Aaron shrugged. “I don’t know but I seriously doubt it. I mean, by seeing her on the other day, she’s not someone who’d bump into a tabloid and know what Julie did to you.”

“Still, it could happen.”

“It could happen,” his brother seconded him. “But look at the bright side, Nick. It’s weird telling you this because it’s your role to do that. Anyway, just think that you’re in the same country and you’ll be going back to LA next week. You’ll get to see her again. And if may not, you can always go back here in New York to look for her. Anyway, you got her friend’s number. You have a connection with her.”

Nick glanced at the phone in his hand then back to Aaron with a smile. “Thanks, Aaron. Happy Thanksgiving.”

They hugged. “Happy Thanksgiving, too.”



~~~



Anna smiled reminiscently when she saw the familiar Filipino dishes on the table. She missed adobo, a Philippine dish of marinated meat seasoned with garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, and spices, most especially. She heard the voices of her uncle and aunt talking about something as the dinner went on. Paula and her brother are, as usual, arguing again.

Her uncle Mike turned to her. “Anna, we’ve talked about this before you came here. We’re seriously inviting you to live with us here in LA. We’ll help you with all the things that you need.”

Anna opened her mouth to speak but Paula beat her to it. “Dad, she told me that she worries about her job in New York or if she can even find a job here.”

“I, uh...”

Her aunt Luisa smiled warmly. “It’s alright, Anna. We want you to stay here rather than there when you’re alone and just starting. Let us be the family to support you now. There’ll be no problem with us. Paula and Arthur are already working. We’ll be retiring soon. We don’t want to worry so much that you’re just alone there.”

“Maybe, if you’re already settled on your own then that’s the time that we can feel comfortable that you’ll be alright. But right now, we want to help,” Mike added. “You can work here and save your money. And when you have enough to support on your own, paying your rents, food and some bills, then it’s okay. I’m sure that right now, you make several fractions of your salary to get through things. We want to help you lessen your burden for a while. Anyway, this house is big enough for everyone, even for you.”

Anna felt her eyes grew misty. "You're so nice. I feel lucky to have you as a family." She quickly wiped her tears.

"So, that's a yes..." Mike said, hoping.

"Yes, uncle. I'll just go back to New York for my resignation and to get the remainder of my things." Anna said and felt the hugs of the people around her. She saw the look from Paula.

"Are you going to tell Nick Carter?" Her cousin asks her.

"No, not yet."

"Oh, that famous ex-boyfriend of yours," Arthur said. "Have you already seen each other?"

Mike looked at Anna. "Who's that man he's talking about?"

"Dad, it's the guy I told you about, the famous singer, Nick Carter. You saw him at the newspaper I've showed you before who's been linked to Anna during the trial of her dad." Paula explained.

"Oh, I remembered that, Mr. Pretty Boy," Mike chuckled. Anna blushed.

"We've met again before I left New York and he's the reason that I'll extend my stay here until next week when he comes back for their short rest, uncle," she tells him. "If you'll ask me if we're getting back together, I don't know. I can't tell, really. I still love him but if things happened otherwise, I don't know what I'll do..."