- Text Size +

 

 

 

Nick lowered the cap he's wearing as he walked in to the arrival area of the passenger terminal in Los Angeles airport. He wanted to run and see Anna but he had to do some things first. Plus there's this old lady in front of him who's blocking his way. She seemed to carry a lot of things with her and she's only alone. Since he's only pulling one luggage with him, he decided to help along.

"Excuse me, ma'am. May I help you with that?" He politely asks to push her luggage cart.

The old lady turned to him. "I'm not yet old to be helped around," she said. Nick was about to reply when she continued. "But since you're offering, alright. Take me to where the taxis are waiting. I'm tired anyway."

Nick pushed the cart, giving way from the traffic that the old lady has created behind her. "My name is Nick, ma'am," he started the chat to avoid the awkward moment.

"Constancia Montenegro, hijo. Do you live here?"

"Yes, ma'am. Do you, too?" Nick smiled at him.

"I'm a visiting relative. My grandchildren lives here." Constancia replied. "This is going to be a surprise as they don't know that I'm coming." She winked at him.

Nick laughed. He missed his grandparents. They were close and he hasn't got enough time to mourn when they died because he's on tour with the guys. "I hope they'll be glad to see you. Has it been a long time?"

"Yes. How about you? Is there anyone picking you up here?"

Nick shakes his head. "My siblings have their individual appointments today. It's alright. I got my car parked at the pay parking terminal here. If it's okay with you, I can take you where you live. No problem. My schedule is free for the day."

Constancia stopped walking and looked at him. She surveyed him from head to feet. "What is your full name, young man? Take off your cap."

"Huh?" Nick smiled in amusement as he indulged the old lady. He takes off his cap. He couldn't blame her. He's a stranger and asking her for a ride to her place. "My name is Nickolas Gene Carter, ma'am." He takes out his wallet and showed her his driver's license and some cards.

"Well, you're a good-looking man, my dear. Have I seen you before?"

"Maybe not, ma'am." Nick shifted on his other foot. "So how about that offer? Is it okay for you if I take you home?"

"I'm going to Sunset Hills. That's where my son and his family lives. And yes, you may bring me home."

Nick chuckled. "Alright. This way then," he ushered Constancia towards the other way leading to the pay parking area.



~~~



Anna screamed when she almost slipped on the slippery ground in her aunt's garden. Paula immediately came to the rescue. Her cousin shook her head when she found her chuckling instead of blushing pink with embarrassment. "Are you alright?"

Anna looked at her backside and tried to wipe off the dirt from her shorts. "I'm fine, just dirty and sweaty. I didn't know that Aunt Luisa had so many plants enough to start a business." They chuckled. They walked slowly through the slippery dirt path.

"True. Actually, we've already thought about it. Mom is just arranging some stuff before we push through on this." Paula said.

"I can help when I'm settled here. I may not have a green thumb but I can probably scout for landscape architects to agree on a contract with us to supply them with flowers and plants. You know, these are really amazing plants." Anna puts down the potted plant alongside the others. She wiped the sweat off her forehead. "Wow, I'm so sweaty," she grinned. "I'll hit the shower right after this."

"Yeah and I'm hungry, too." Paula dusted off the dirt from Anna's shorts. "Anna, you looked like you've been playing with dirt for a long time." She chuckled. "You've got a little smudge of mud on your cheeks and your hair disheveled. How about if we continue with this tomorrow? This isn't a rush job anyway."

"You're right," Anna followed her cousin as they walked back towards the side path leading to the back door. They stopped when they heard a vehicle parked in front of the house. It is a big black and heavily-tinted Chevrolet van. They wondered who has come. The door on the passenger side opened and revealed their grandmother.

"Get down there, young man, and please help me with my things." The old woman tells the person inside the car.

"Who's she with?" Anna asks as she followed Paula who walked ahead.

"Grandma, this is a surprise!" Paula welcomed their grandmother with a hug. Anna did the same and she turned when the person behind the wheel came out of the van.

"Nick?"