- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks for reading the story. I hope you like it. Please read and review. ;)

For more stories, you my fanfic site at http://aosfiction.co.nr/

 

 

 

 

 

"Cheers to the newlyweds."

It proposed the toast to the guests at the wedding. The wedding ceremony has just ended more than an hour ago and everyone were already celebrating at the reception held in a luxury hotel. It was very exclusive that only family members and close friends knew about it.

Anna turned to Nick with her usual loving look. He winked at her in return and kissed her. In front, the newlyweds Howie and Leigh shared a kiss as the audience applauded to welcome their union. Anna is one of the lucky people that Howie invited in his wedding. He's the most private person among the group and even Anna promised not to disclose the information to her friends in Manila.

"Excuse me but you aren't the newlyweds," Kristin joked. Kevin rolled his eyes as he planted a quick kiss on his wife's lips, too.

Anna only returned the joke with a smile. She turned to see that Nick is already sharing the toast with everyone. They have been together for almost a year now. Despite of the trials they encounter, they faced it together and overcome every one of them.

When Howie's brother, Johnny, referred the mic to Kevin for a message, Anna felt Nick's hand on hers. He moved closer to her seat and had her leaning against his chest as they watched Kevin take the podium to say his message for Howie and Leigh.

"I've known Howie in a long time and I've seen him fell in and fell out of love several times." Kevin started. "He's the person you would rarely see in a relationship you may think he's gay," there were chuckles. "But seriously though, that's because he's a firm believer of what a true love is. When he and Leigh met, it was as if I've witnessed God was working at that moment. You'd know a person if he's been knocked out by Cupid's arrow, literally. I remember that Howie fell down the chair at that time and Leigh noticed that. My friend surely knows how to get the attention of a woman." Another round of chuckles came. "So now, finally, after years of being together, on and off but it doesn't matter, the moment I've been waiting for came. I was actually with my wife at the doctor and waiting for the official announcement of our baby's gender. Howie called me to announce that he's getting married and I have to ask him to repeat it because he's mixing English with Spanish. You can tell how excited he is. We all knew Howie. He’s a very discreet person even when things make him excited. You can see his usual wide smile but wouldn’t say a lot. So when he told me he’s getting married, that's the day I felt blessed because I learned that I'm having a boy and my friend's having a girl, and you know what I mean by that."

Anna laughed along with Nick. "He can be really funny when he wants to," she heard him says. He kissed the top of her head.

"And the first thing that came to my mind then was to tell him that I wished he'd have a baby girl because there are already two Backstreet baby boys in the family." Kevin raised his wineglass. "To Leigh, I welcome you to the crazy world of the Backstreet family. To Howie, I welcome you to a blissful yet challenging life of marriage. It will not be always be a bed of roses but I'm telling you, when you spend it with someone you love the most, forever is not enough to say you want to spend your lifetime with her. To both of you, may God bless you and I wish you good health and lots of kids." He received a big round of applause when he finished his speech.

Anna felt Nick's hand tightened hers as his name was called to give the next speech. She moved to give way for him to stand up. He lost weight after the world tour that the Backstreet Boys just had. But he looked incredible. She watched as he takes the stage from Kevin.

"Hi, everyone. I'm Nick," Anna chuckled for hearing him stating the obvious. "Well, I'm actually nervous to speak here maybe because it's my first time to experience this, and to have my lovely one around to witness this." He chuckled nervously. Anna rolled her eyes. He can be really corny sometimes.

"So anyway, I'm happy that Howie and Leigh have finally tied the knot. It's about time, you know. I'm one of the happiest people who were delighted about the news when he announced it until he blurted out when will I do the same thing that he, Kevin and Brian did. It ruined the moment because I was in an emotional crisis then. But to answer that, I guess, in time. It will all come in good time," he met her look as he said that. "And it's not because I'm averse into getting married. In fact, I wanted to have my own family, a big family, but I'm finding the right time. Despite the truth about me coming from an unconventional broken home, I have dreams of having a peaceful family that is far from what I had. Just like what Howie told me then, the idea of marriage will come. God will take us to that path in good time."

The guests watched him continue. "As for Howie and Leigh, I congratulate you and I wish you a very good luck in life. I wish you'll be happy amidst the trials that will come your way. You've been through a lot and I hope that you keep up your faith and love towards each other. Thank you for making me part of the entourage. It's a very special thing for me because Howie is one of my best friends. And you never knew how my feeling was as I walked down in between the aisles. It's creepy," there were laughter at that, "but it's wonderful. You can feel the blessings of God and his reason for every one of us, to love one another and now we witness the most wonderful of it all through Howie and Leigh. Congratulations and my best wishes are with you.” He raised his wine glass for a toast.

“Hi, I’m Nick,” Anna joked when Nick went back to their seats. They chuckled. “Yeah, thanks for stating the obvious.” He takes her hand again. He smiled.

“Come on, let’s get out of here.”

Kristin and Kevin looked at each other. They chose to ignore the two as they talked about their plan to escape the reception.

“Wait, Leigh isn’t throwing her bouquet yet.” Anna said. Kristin and Kevin chuckled.

Nick tugged her hand. “Come on, you don’t need the bouquet.” He insisted again. When Anna gave him a silent warning look, he stopped whining. The other couple on their table chose to be oblivious as they watched Howie and Leigh’s speech. Then, the announcement on throwing the bouquet came. All single women were called to gather near Leigh. Anna immediately stood up. Nick looked at her. “Do you really have to?” He asks. Anna stuck out her tongue then went towards the other women.

“Let her,” Kristin said. “I’ve been through that. She’s just enjoying her time.” She winked.

Nick watched as Leigh teased the women and he can clearly see Anna right in front and in the center. When Leigh threw the bouquet, Anna did all her might to jump high and beat the taller woman beside her in getting the bouquet. Wow, talking about determination! He smiled in amusement as she caught the bouquet. Howie and Leigh, on the other hand, are now saying goodbye to the guests.

“I got it!” Anna said happily when she gets back to their table.

“Wow, congratulations!” Nick equaled her enthusiasm and hugged her. They waved at Howie and Leigh who are now about to leave. When the guests are starting to leave, too, Nick excused them from Kevin and Kristin and pulled his girlfriend towards the lobby and to the elevator.

“Where are we going?” Anna asked as they stepped inside and they were the only ones there. Nick pressed the P, towards the penthouse. He only winked at her as a reply and pulled her for another hug. It was quiet for a while as they ride the elevator. They are hugging each other. Nick rested her head at the crook of his neck.

“I love you, baby.”

Anna looked at him. “I love you, too.” It’s been a memorable year for both of them. Their relationship was known by everyone concerned and she was accepted by Nick’s fans. She was even offered an acting job in a drama series in which she refused, wanting to focus more on her own career than be in the limelight like Nick. It wasn’t her type to pursue that path. She found a nice paying job in a travel company in downtown LA. Sometimes, she’d had her share of paparazzi and it embarrasses her, especially when she’s with her co-workers. But most often, they would leave her alone. When Nick would drop by to pick her up, he’s sometimes followed by those paparazzi. He’s used to it but she wasn’t and he was very protective of her. And for a year that they have been together, Nick respected her so much that he never touched her. They kissed a lot but when he will come to the point of getting it all heated up, he’d stop. He wanted her to reserve herself when the time comes when they get married.

Yes, they would sometimes talk about that but nothing serious like him asking her to get hitched. Often, during their idle time, he’d share what he wants, his thoughts and more aspirations he planned for himself and for them. Or sometimes, they’d pig out as if there’s no tomorrow.

The elevator reached the topmost floor of the hotel and when they stepped out, the entire floor is the penthouse suite in which only the rich and famous can afford. Nick is one of them but Anna doesn’t think about his financial status or on how much he can give her. Just having him around is enough for her.

“Nick, I thought that Howie reserved this for their honeymoon.”

Nick chuckled. He shakes his head. “Howie has a surprise for Leigh. He bought the house that she’s been dreaming of for months now and that’s where they are going to spend their first night as husband and wife. Isn’t that sweet?”

“Yeah, but why are we here? You want us to spend the night here? Your house is just a few minutes drive from here.”

“Anna, here we go again. I told you that money doesn’t matter as long as I got to spend quality time with you.” Nick pulled her towards the man-made garden at the southern part of the penthouse. It is overlooking the metropolis and it looks beautiful with all those lights as if stars that come from heaven. The wind breeze blew softly. Nick embraces her. “I took you here because I want to tell you something.”

“What? Staying here is a surprise enough,” She reached out to kiss him on the lips. They kissed for a while and when they pulled away, she noticed the seriousness in his look.

“I’ve got another surprise for you...” He showed her a box that must be hidden in his pocket for a long time. He opened it and there is a diamond engagement ring inside. It shone and Anna knew that it’s very real. “Will you ...?” He choked as he felt emotional with the words. “Will you marry me?”

Anna’s mouth dropped open. She never really expected him to ask. “Nick...” She felt like crying. Her eyes began to grow misty.

“I’m not rushing you, Anna. I know that we’re still both busy with our careers and you still wanted to establish more of yourself in this foreign country. We have been together for a year and yet, there’s still so much to learn about each other and I’d like that. But we’ll have this promise for now. Will you accept this ring, Anna, as I promise that I will work hard with you to have the happy ending that you want? Please – “

“Ssshh,” Anna shushed him. She led his hand to put the ring on her finger. “Promise?”

“Yes.”

“Happy?” Anna looked down to the ring. A promise ring. She turned back to him.

“Very,” Nick replied and kissed her. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

Their lips met again in a powerful kiss. It marks the start of a whole new phase between them and their relationship. Someday, they’re going to get married. It’s a happy ending that they both were seeking for. They believe that it will happen one day and they will be ready for that. Once everything in their life is settled, they will make a brand new start of a life together – as husband and wife.