- Text Size +

 

Nick paused when he’s about to open the tap to wash his hands. He’s in the men’s room and he heard someone talking with somebody, over the phone, on something about investigation. He really should stop listening to other people’s conversation. He shakes his head.

He couldn’t help it. It aroused his curiosity as some woman asked about legal stuff he only heard on TV. This must be something serious. He finished washing his hands and after drying it off, he went out of the men’s room. The woman stopped talking when she saw him. Oh, great, must be a fan, Nick thought. But looking at her from head to feet, she doesn’t look like a fan. Hell, what does a fan looks like anyway? They surprised him sometimes. They came from different walks of life.

“Hello,” he politely greeted and went on his way.

“Uh, hi?”

Nick smirked and continued on his way. But then, he turned back. He thought of inviting the woman later for the intimate concert with their fans. He didn’t notice that she’s just behind him so they bumped into each other. “Oops, sorry.” He caught her before she falls down. The woman immediately tried to get away from his hold as if she’s allergic to him. He raised an eyebrow. “I’m sorry. I wasn’t looking.”

“It’s alright, no harm done.” The woman only smiled a little then excused herself to walk away. Nick only watched her go away. He didn’t have the chance to say anything and he even wondered why he needs to bother himself about it either. He saw his bodyguard signaling him to hurry. He went on his way back to the conference room.

Nick saw his friends holding some travel kit that must have been distributed while he’s out in the men’s room. Intin, the travel coordinator, is already there and talking with Nancy and Howie. He sits down beside AJ as the other one gave him his own kit. He reads the brochures and the necessary data they need for their private vacation. It will be in a private and secluded island in a province they called Palawan. The resort where they are going is situated within a bay that is surrounded by many islands. Activities offered there are not far from the ones they used to go to in Bahamas and Caribbean. But surely, Palawan is a new place to explore for Nick and he’s looking forward to it. Among the activities include soft adventure sports such as snorkeling, diving, kayaking or trekking within the island’s forest trails or leisure picnics by the shore. Nick surely wanted this seclusion, even for just a few days. He smiled.

“I hope they have cable TV,” AJ muttered. “This seemed so remote.”

“I learned that it’s safe.” Marcus informed them. Nancy and Intin turned to them.

“Yes.” Intin added. “For your information, a special security system is established in the island to monitor the arrivals and departures of the visitors there. Everyone is well accounted and screened by the chief security guard of the resort that not even terrorists or pirates can go there unnoticed. Any unidentified vessel or object comes within some nautical miles from the island will be immediately be notified to the authorities for quick action.”

“Sounds safe enough,” Brian nodded. They turned when the door opened and a woman comes in.

“I’m sorry for being late. Good morning,” the woman smiled to everyone and it never wavered when she saw Nick. She’s the one he saw at the hall earlier. Nancy introduced her to them as Anna and the woman thoughtfully shook each of their hands. When she reached Nick, the youngest Backstreet Boy decided to lean down and kiss her on the cheeks.

“Hey, you just met,” Kevin teased.

Anna blushed as Nick only chuckled. She never thought that this man would do something like that to her upon her greeting. Sure, he’s cute and all but she’s not impressed. He should be better than that. “I guess that’s his way of saying hi.” She can only say just to make something out of the situation. She went towards the table where Intin has just finished setting up her laptop and connected it with the projector.

“She’s not charmed,” Brian whispered to Nick then chuckled.

Nick rolled his eyes. He stared at Anna and shakes his head. This one’s pretty simple for his usual taste. She doesn’t have the beauty he got used into seeing in women back home. She seemed ordinary but then, there’s something in her that intrigues him. He can sense that there’s a hidden part of her personality that will make her outstanding from the other women he knew.

“Miss Anna Gomez will be the one to brief you about your itinerary for three days in the island resort.” Intin tells them. “She’s a multi-talented and award-winning travel journalist in our country and has her own show on TV. She’s a friend of mine and a former classmate in the university.”

“Thank you, Intin, for that introduction,” Anna bit her lower lip then looked at each man. “I’m honored to be invited here today and to have this opportunity to present to you the wonders of our islands. I admit that I wasn’t one of your fans but to be able to introduce you to my country is an honor. It’s not everyday that famous celebrities would spend their time on our precious beaches like you probably did in the Bahamas or the Caribbean islands. As for this private getaway, I introduce to you one of our safest and our most beautiful private beach resorts, the El Hombre Island…”



~~~



When the presentation was finished after fifteen minutes, including some questions from the Boys, they all get up to shook hands with Intin and Anna. The Boys knew that a three-day rest is something they need before going off to finalize their new album. It won’t harm either if they indulge to a travel package prepared by their loyal fans in the Philippines too.

AJ stared at Anna. “You know, your face seemed familiar. Haven’t I seen you before?”

“AJ, you already got a girlfriend.” Nick remarked.

“I know. It’s not that. I mean…”

“I’m Faye’s sister.” Anna replied. Everyone looked at her after she said that. She nodded. “It’s a coincidence that Intin is my friend and invited me to make a presentation today with you. It also happened that my boss gave me an assignment to go to El Hombre too for a new project in my show.”

“Whoa!” AJ stared hard at her once again. “Oh, God. How are you doing, honey?”

“I’m fine.” She looked at each of them. “It’s been nice meeting you again. Thanks for visiting our country.” With that, she walked out of the conference room. The Boys, Nancy and Intin were left in silence.

“Your friend seemed distant,” Nancy whispered to Intin as she helps her keep her things.

Intin quietly sighed. “You have no idea.” The Boys started going out of the room except Nick. He excused himself from them and went to Intin.

“The guys and I talked about going to Faye’s wake after the performance tonight. AJ doesn’t know yet. Anna seemed distant. Is there something we should know about so that we are prepared for what to avoid to when we go later?” Nick asks her.

Intin looked at him. “Don’t mention Anna. She’s the estranged daughter of the family.”

“Huh?” Nick frowned.

“It’s a long story. You would not want to go in to the mess.” Intin gave him a smile. “Now, aren’t you supposed to be preparing for your performance?”

Nick stared at her for a moment. Intin couldn’t understand what’s going on in this man’s mind. Oh, she’s been a fan for more than ten years and she realized she never knew them at all. They’re one-of-a-kind people when she met them personally. This man, in particular, is far from the guy she thought that he is. He must have adopted Kevin’s serious attitude. He must have really grown up. “AJ’s so affected from what happened, Intin. That’s primarily our concern. It’s not everyday that we witness someone as sweet as Faye would die in such tragedy. Realizing now that Anna’s her sister, I’m sure AJ will find a way to talk with her. Knowing him, it’s something to help him feel better after what happened.”

“You don’t know Anna. She wouldn’t like to speak to anyone relating to her family. I was surprised when she admitted her connection with Faye earlier to AJ. She wouldn’t do that.” Intin excused herself from him and went out of the conference room. Nick was left pondering on what to do with Anna. Knowing AJ, he knew his friend won’t stop until he reached out to Faye’s family for their loss. AJ can care a lot like that, even though the person was a stranger to him.