- Text Size +

 

 

Anna felt goose bumps as she listened to this group sing. They can truly sing. They have this amazing talent to sing a Capella harmoniously. That is surely one of their weapons to remain strong in the industry they are into. She looked around to find that the fans that came to the intimate concert were silent and ‘religiously’ listening to them sing. She, on the other hand, accepted Intin’s invitation to watch them. She was given the front seat. She can see them clearly. She never saw them make some dance routines. They sang slow songs and they amazed her. Somehow, being here meant that she also wanted to know the people who have been with her sister before she died. On the other hand, there’s also a part of her wanting to leave as painful memories surged in mind.

And now, they are singing a song they dedicated to Faye. She tried so much as not to let a tear fall when memories of the past flashed in her mind. She missed her sister and she never showed that fact to anyone.

As she watched them sing the ballad, Nick’s eyes met hers.



Guilty road to an endless love
There’s no control
Are you with me now?
Your every wish will be done, they tell me




Her eyes locked with his. She was mesmerized. He continued singing but his attention seemed to be on her now. It only broke away when Nick closed his eyes when he made a solo bridge on the song. AJ gave the background vocals and they shifted to another song in which she still doesn’t know what the title is. The guys started to leave the stage except Nick, who stayed and hummed the song. The piano filled the place and his voice feels soothing. For Anna, it felt so amazing that there were tears in her eyes.



And I need you tonight
I need you right now
I know deep within my heart
It doesn’t matter if it’s wrong or right
I really need you tonight




“He’s amazing…” Anna only whispered but Intin didn’t fail to hear. Intin smiled. She hoped that her friend is having a great time. This is what Anna needs right now, to soothe the loneliness she’s feeling from the loss of her sister. Intin noticed Nick kept on glancing their way, particularly on Anna. Is he attracted to her friend? Or maybe just curious. Nick looked at Anna again.



I figured out what to say to you
Sometimes the words
They came out so wrong
Oh, yes, they do
And I know this time you will understand
That what we have Is so right This time




Anna turned to Intin. “Do they really do this?” She asks in a whisper.

“Is there anything wrong with that?” Intin smiled teasingly.

Anna didn’t reply and looked back at Nick. The combination of five voices is so wonderful. She didn’t expect that they will sing solo parts and Nick took his turn first. He amazed her. She doesn’t know the song he’s singing but she’s beginning to love it. He mesmerized her merely by just singing. If there will be a chance to know him better, she’d like to try it. But he’s a famous guy and he will never give attention to someone like her. Nobody, not even her family, likes her. So why wish for someone like Nick, anyway?



~~~



“I got some medicines at the hotel. I’ll give you some when we get there.” Howie tells AJ at the backstage. The taping has finished and the Boys are being prepared to go back to the hotel.

“You can borrow my laptop battery, Howie.” Nick said when he passed by them. They turned when they noticed a group of women coming in the backstage, expecting that some fans might have successfully barged in to the backstage. But it was only the officers of the fan club. Anna was among them. Nick was amazed as the woman didn’t hesitate on walking over to them, unlike her companions who stayed further behind.

“Could you help me?” Anna asks. AJ is already in full attention to Faye’s sister.

“Maybe. What is it?” AJ returned the reply with another question. Nick folded his arms across his chest as he looked down at this woman. He wondered what happened between Anna and her family to have a cold relationship. He wondered how she was as a sister to Faye.

“Since I’m also bound for El Hombre, may I request for an interview with you?” Anna is looking directly at AJ. Nick shakes his head and turned away. This woman thinks she can charm AJ to get what she wants since she’s Faye’s sister, in which the death has affected AJ in a way. As he walks away to search for another source of interest to engage with, he heard Howie’s reply to Anna.

“You can talk to Kyle and Nancy about this. They’re the boss.”

Nick is about to smile but he heard AJ’s additional statement. “I’ll help you talk with the two. And you might as well have Nick around to guide you. He’s voted to be our spokesperson in this tour.” Yeah, he knew that particular detail. The other guys will be busy starting tomorrow since their better-half will be arriving in Manila while he, on the other hand, has no one. Any inquiries with their activities will be handled by Nick and Nancy. “Is that right, Nick?”

Nick only nodded. He looked at Anna. The woman is looking at him directly in the eye and he wondered why he felt uneasy. “But can we do that on the plane on our way to the island? I believe that’s my only spare time.”

“Yes, no problem. Thank you very much.” Anna gave him a smile and shook his hand. “I’ll better get going. See you later.”

“We’re leaving at 8AM later, Anna.” AJ added as she walks away. Nick gave her one last look before going on the opposite way. AJ turned to his friend and wondered why Nick acts so weird earlier at the video shoot. He noticed his younger friend kept on glancing Anna’s way. He knew it wasn’t something romantic. Nick gave up on it a few years back because of an ex-girlfriend. The younger guy wanted to steer clear from any women with a hidden agenda. But AJ recognized that look. It’s curiosity. Why is Nick curious at Anna?



~~~



Anna wearily sat on the old sofa as soon as she got home. The day has been an exhausting one from the moment she received a call from Intin. She never thought that a lot will happen in just two days: her sister died and she met a man she found interesting for the first time but never seemed to like her in return. She shakes her head and chuckled. When did she start having a crush on a pop star? That wasn’t like her but Nick made it possible. He’s got this charismatic appeal over a woman without making effort.

Her mobile phone rang and noticed it is Regina calling. That’s the part she hates about her boss. Regina is so inconsiderate and demanding. It was as if Anna is upon her beck and call whenever she’s needed. Regina would usually call at wee hours in the morning just to tell her something about work. She’s very workaholic and it’s no wonder if she’s still single and virgin at the age of thirty-six.

“Yes, Ma’am?” Anna answered.

“I know you’re still awake. How’s the assignment?”

Anna sighed inwardly. “Are you a Backstreet fan, Ma’am?” When her boss excitedly agreed, she rolled her eyes. That’s not surprising. Regina is very enthusiastic. If Anna can only tell her boss to do the project herself rather than her, it will save her a lot of energy. She’s been through one busy week and she had plans of spending the weekend lying on her bed and channel-surfing on the TV but this event changed everything. “Trust me, Regina. I’m working on this. By the way, I don’t have money. How am I going to go to El Hombre when I haven’t got plane tickets, hotel reservations and pocket money? Those guys will take the 8AM chartered flight later.” That’s one of the things that she doesn’t have much, money. Her parents never supported her. Only her kind aunt, who lives in this old apartment, helped her through it all. Others may see her as a successful career woman but she’s not financially well-off. She still had to struggle to live and eat and with dues to pay.

“Aimee took care of everything. My driver will pick you up at 5AM.” Regina replied and hung up. Anna glanced at her watch, 5AM? It’s already four in the morning. She stood up to start packing her things when she heard her Auntie Del calling her.

“I heard noises here. You just got home?” Del asks her as she went to the kitchen, which is only divided by a wooden shelf, and began heating up water for coffee. With the simplicity of their life, no one would think that she’s a daughter of a senator. The only luxury they have in the apartment is the TV, a cheap DVD player, a small fridge and an electric fan.

“I just got home from some concert I’m obliged to go to. I’ll be leaving in an hour. I’m going to El Hombre.” Anna yawned. Her aunt got used to her unusual working time. She stared blankly into space.

“Your Mommy told me that you came at Faye’s wake.”

Anna looked at her aunt. “You went there?”

“I stayed only for a while. I can’t take it when those people began saying things about you.” Del frowned. “Anyway, go pack up. I’ll prepare you breakfast.”

Anna muttered her thanks and went to her room. It was about a half and an hour later that she found herself struggling to carry her backpack. She reached the lounge of the chartered airline and several foreign people were already there. After undergoing the usual check-in, she looked around. She easily spotted the group of the Backstreet Boys. They’re early. Did they ever sleep? One of them, she remembered as Kevin, greeted her. He’s holding a blonde woman’s hand of whom he introduced as his wife. Anna noticed the glow in his eyes as he spoke about Kristin.

“It’s nice meeting you. I didn’t know that someone is married in the group.” Anna shook hands with Kristin.

“Have you already had breakfast? They serve complimentary meals here.” Kristin glanced at her husband. “Kevin will get you one. Right?” Kevin nodded and stepped back to follow his wife’s suggestion to get Anna something to eat.

“Oh, it’s okay. My aunt already prepared me one at home. Thanks so much.” Anna found this couple so nice and accommodating, and so much in love. She wondered if they already have kids.

“I’ll bring you coffee instead.” Kevin insisted and went off. The other members of the group saw her, including AJ who is with a woman, probably his girlfriend or his wife. They introduced everyone to her and found out that Kevin and Brian are cousins and both married while the other three were still bachelors but Nick is the only one unattached. When they mentioned Nick, Anna realized that the youngest among the group was nowhere in the crowd.

“Where’s Nick?” She casually asks AJ. She’s actually curious.

“He’s inside the exclusive lounge, having an overseas phone interview. I told you, he’s our main man for now.” AJ winked and chuckled. “He’ll be out soon. He’s the most excited among us. He never had any sleep since we left LA days ago.”

Anna nodded. They turned when they heard the announcement that it’s time to board the plane. They all began clearing the place. Just as when Anna picks up her carry-on bag, she heard Nick’s voice.

“You’re sitting beside me so that we can proceed on that interview.”

She looked at him and saw him holding his phone near his ear. He’s still probably talking with someone on the other line. She only nodded and walked ahead.

 

Chapter End Notes:

i hope you're enjoying the story ... ;)

thanks for reading.