- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So... when I posted the last chapter, I remember thinking, "Hm, this looks really short." Well, today, when going to post this one, I realized I never posted ALL of the last chapter. Its there now if you want to check it out. Sorry. :)

“Shoes!” Carmen cried. “Let’s go in here!”

I groaned. “You just bought a pair of shoes twenty minutes ago.”

“Yes, but those are flats. Those are high heels,” she pointed in the window and went inside without another word.

Diana and I exchanged glances. “She does know how to accessorize. I have to give her credit for that.”

Carmen looked for any excuse to shop. Currently, it was: new man, new wardrobe. The economy was benefiting from her happiness, too. She handed me her bags, sat down, and tried on a pair of black heels.

“Well, you’ll certainly give Nick a run for his money on height in those,” I laughed.

Carmen, deciding I was useless, looked past me to Diana. “They’re cute,” she said.

The mental clock I had of the group’s departure was ticking away in my head. This week was going to fly by.

Diana read my mind. “The tour probably won’t be as long as you think… well, it is long. But maybe it won’t seem it.” She was trying, but she didn’t sound very convincing.

I nodded. “I mean, they’ll have small breaks here and there between legs of the tour…” I said this mostly to myself.

“Aren’t we supposed to go frolicking around the world with them? Especially, you, Diana. You’re a Backstreet girlfriend. That’s how it is in all those stories, right?” Carmen asked.

“Well, maybe those fan fic girls can drop their lives at the drop of a pin, but I have a career,” Diana smiled.

“Well, get Howie to put a ring on your finger. You can retire to the lifestyle of a rich and famous,” Carmen winked.

“Carm,” I said, “It’s a good thing you have such high aspirations in life, or I’d think you were a shallow gold digger.”

Carmen gestured to her shopping bags. “You know, I get that a lot.”

“Everything’s so hectic. I wish we could get everyone together one last time before opening night,” Diana sighed. “I barely see Howie, much less the other guys.”

Carmen was putting her shoes back in the box, having decided to buy them. “Did I hear party?”

I laughed. “We don’t have time or space to throw a big party.”

“Well, maybe something more intimate. Us, the guys, and…”

“Natasha,” I finished, rolling my eyes. “Yeah, we’d have to invite her, wouldn’t we?”

“I’ve been painting my living room and haven’t set everything back up yet…”

“We could have it at our place,” Carmen offered.

It would be a little squished, but I couldn’t think of an alternative. We’d be able to make it work. I started mentally planning a grocery list and wondering when I was going to have time to clean the place. Carmen dragged us to a few more stores. We passed by the bookstore, my usual must-see location in the mall, but I let her walk us right by it. That novel was still looming over it like a dark storm cloud.

“All right. I don’t think my credit card can handle anymore action today.”

We headed to our car, bid farewell to Diana, and started driving back to the apartment. We each had plans with our respective Backstreet Boy that night. Carmen needed forever to get ready.

“Hmm… maybe I’ll wear one of my new outfits tonight.”

“It only makes sense to show off your new Nick wardrobe to Nick,” I said. “Don’t forget to tell him about the party when you see him. We have to make sure they don’t have plans that night.”

She nodded, putting in one of her CDs.

“Where are you guys going tonight?”

“Second base, hopefully.” She laughed.

“Oh, jeez… There are things I really don’t need to know. Forget I asked,” I turned up the volume of the song.

~*~Brian’s point of view~*~

“And what are you doing here?” I reached the door to August’s apartment only to find my blonde Backstreet Boy counterpart standing there. “I just can’t get rid of you can I?”

“You just can’t separate Frick and Frack, man,” he put his arm around my shoulder and a cheesy, sentimental grin on his face. Looking down at my hands, he asked, “What are those?”

“What do they look like? All that homeschoolin’ never quite sank in, did it?”

“You’re going to make me look bad!”

I shook my head. “You don’t need my help for that. That shirt is going to handle it on its own.”

He looked down, self-consciously, and I had to reassure him that I was only joking.

“I didn’t bring anything for Carmen.”

The boy looked so desperate, I decided to be nice. I’d brought three roses. A dozen seemed a little much, since there was no real occasion, and one hadn’t seemed enough. As I was handing him one, I heard August’s voice from the other side of the door.

“Are you guys going to knock, or are you going to stand out there and talk all…” The door opened and she saw me handing him the long-stemmed red rose. “Wow, boys. I had no idea. We can stay here if the two of you had a romantic evening of your own planned…” her blue eyes sparkled, giving away the smile she was trying to hide.

“You sure got yourself a funny one,” Nick teased.

“Well, Nick didn’t want these, so I guess you can have them,” I handed the remaining two roses to her.

“Thanks,” her smile lit up her whole face. I’d asked Carmen, and she’d told me they were August’s favorite; Carmen had obviously been right. August went to the kitchen to find something to put it in.

“Is Carmen ready?” Nick asked.

“Have you met Carmen?” August asked.

Carmen yelled from her room, “I heard that! I’ll be out in a minute!”

“Which means at least five,” August whispered. “You guys can have a seat if you want.”

Nick sat on the couch, and August joined me on the loveseat.

“Where are you headed tonight, Nick?” I asked. “What?” I turned to August, when she started to laugh.

“Nothing. Just don’t ever ask Carmen that…” she kept laughing.

“Dinner somewhere,” Nick shrugged. He looked at the rose in his hand and then at me. “Where are you going?”

“It’s not a competition, Carter.”

He blushed a little. “I know.”

“August, did you tell them your good news?” Carmen called out again.

I looked at August, and her face turned as red as Nick’s. She avoided my gaze.

“It’s not really a big deal,” August called back to her.

“Are you kidding?” Carmen said.

“What?”

She finally looked back at me. “I’ve got an article that’s going to be in the newspaper tomorrow.”

“You write for the paper?” Nick looked confused.

“No, I’m just an intern there, but whenever I have free time at work, I write blurbs about whatever assignments I’ve seen the boss give out… just for practice. I had one sitting on my desk today after I’d printed it off. He saw it and really liked it.”

“Oh,” I managed a smile. “That’s really great.” I successfully managed to put the proper amount of enthusiasm in my voice.

“Really?” August bought it. “Thanks.” Her smile returned. “I’m really excited about it… I mean, it’s not a big deal. Who knows if anyone will even see it, because it’ll be in the back. The article’s basically announcing a line-up of events for the rest of the summer in the area. Like festivals and stuff, and I wrote a little about what each one was.”

“Congratu-“ Nick started, when the door to Carmen’s room opened. She stepped out. “Wow.”

Smooth, Nick, I thought, laughing. He was so young at times. Right now, the boy was practically drooling.

She walked in, knowing she owned the room, and Nick gave her the rose.

“That’s so thoughtful of you!” she smiled, and gave him a kiss.

August grinned knowingly. Then the three of them started talking about some party. My thoughts returned to the article. There was a pang in the pit of my stomach as soon as she mentioned it. I knew August had the internship at the paper, but I hadn’t realized how much writing she’d been doing. I should have been happy for her. After all, this was a great accomplishment. But it only made me sick.

August helped Carmen find another vase for her rose.

“You ready to go?” I asked August, not wanting to be noticeably quiet.

“Yeah, I’ve just gotta grab my purse.”

I offered to get it for her, looking for any excuse to leave the room for a few seconds, and she sent me to her room. I picked it up off of her desk and was turning to go back to the living room when something caught my attention. Walking over, I got a closer look at what was sticking out of the trashcan.

I smiled at the sight of the all too familiar book. In the back of my mind, Nick was telling me again that August was different. I handed August her purse and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.

Smiling, she asked, “What was that for?” She tried to read my expression.

I just smiled back. “No reason.”

Once we got to my jeep, I said, “Let’s go celebrate the newly published.”

And I meant it.