- Text Size +

“We’re about to perform in front of two point eight billion people…”

“Because that’s not an exaggeration,” I laughed.

Nick ignored me. “…and you guys are just piling it on. Brian, next time we pick girlfriends, we need to make sure that they aren’t best friends first. They are teaming up on us.”

“Hey, I saw her first,” Brian put his arms around me from behind and leaned over to kiss me on the cheek. “You find someone else.”

“Wait a minute. You two are best friends,” Carmen retorted.

“But that’s different.”

“How?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Well,” Nick stammered, “because we’re boys.”

Backstreet Boys,” Brian corrected him.

“Nick, that is so sexist!” I said. “What does that have to do with…”

Nick raised a finger. “There you go, piling it on again! You know, there are tons of people waiting for the show who would love to be talking to the two of us right now. I think you’re both unappreciative.”

“Well how about I go find you a Nick fan to replace me?” Carmen shot back. “I’m sure the tabloids would love it if you got yourself a twelve year old girlfriend.”

“Not all the fans are twelve,” Nick defended.

“No, just all of your fans.”

“Oooh,” Brian was enjoying himself.

“Aw, that hurts,” Nick pretended to pout, pulling her closer.

“Get off me,” she said, but not seriously. They turned towards each other and she adjusted his mic.

“You ready to go?” I asked Brian. His hands were still on my waist, and I put mine over his.

“That depends. You got your ticket?”

I nodded. Front row. This would be my first Into the Millennium concert, aside from the run through. I was beyond excited. When we’d reconciled, he had had to fly out again the next day. Then we had to wait a few weeks, as I started classes again and my new job, before I could see him. I was glad to finally be back in his arms again. Although the last few weeks hadn’t been too bad, since he called almost daily. This long-distance wouldn’t be easy, but we could make it work.

I turned around and Brian leaned in slowly, his blue eyes gazing into mine. As soon as he kissed me, I heard AJ approach.

“Man, you guys need to get a room,” he laughed.

“Can we help you?” Brian asked.

“Nah, Rok. I’m just getting ready to go perform. What about you?”

“I’m warming up,” Brian laughed.

AJ laughed, too, and went to join Kevin and Howie.

“I better let you go, so you can have time to make it to the merchandise table and then your seat.”

“Merchandise?”

“You know you want a t-shirt,” Brian teased me.

I shook my head. “I’ve already been there. I wanted this.” I reached into my bag and held up a paper-sized picture of Brian, dressed in white with blue in the background. It was from the Millennium cover photoshoot.

Brian cracked up, taking it from me. “A picture, huh?”

“Yeah, I thought he was cute.”

“You know, August, I may be able to get this signed for you.”

“Really?”

“He looks kind of familiar. I’ll see what I can do,” he grinned.

I knew I would never tire of seeing him smile. Especially when it was aimed at me.

“I wish we had longer,” he said.

This was just a long weekend for Carmen and I. “Me, too. But I gotta work.”

Brian’s face lit up. He was obviously remembering something. ‘

I tried to read his expression, but, as usual, I found no answers. I gave him a questioning look and waited.

“I think you should talk to the paper you were working at this summer. You really liked it there. And they were just starting to realize how talented you are.”

“Um… I think that ship has sailed,” I said. “They aren’t going to take me back. I was… a little distracted my last few weeks there.”

“I don’t think that’s anything an interview with a pop star couldn’t cure. And we’re in luck! You happen to have one as a boyfriend.”

I stared at him, surprised. Was this some kind of trap? “I can’t write about you.”

“Sure you can. You just take some paper, and write some letters. Those letters will form words…”

“You know what I mean!”

Brian kept his comical expression, but his voice turned more serious. “You’ll have an in-depth exclusive for the hottest tour in the world right now,” he said. “If I do say so myself,” Brian joked, not wanting to sound smug about it. He was simply stating a fact.

I had to admit, the paper would love to have an interview with the Brian Littrell. It would be an easy article to write, too, when the subject matter was so important to me.

Still, I shook my head. “It’s not worth it. I don’t want…”

“August,” he held my face in his hands. “I want you to.” He sounded sincere. “You have my full permission. And I will jot you down in my busy schedule for right after this concert. Be thinking of some intriguing questions, Ms. Journalist.”

“Are you positive?”

“Who am I to stand between you and your dream? Especially if there’s something I can do to help. Whatever you want, you’ve got it,” Brian said. “After all, you’re here supporting my dream.”

“You are without a doubt the best boyfriend in the world,” I said.

“You just wanted an excuse to say boyfriend.”

“Darn right,” I said, giving him another kiss. “Now get out there and be the Backstreet Boy I know and love.”

“No,” he shook his head, smiling. “Just the Brian you know and love. And I love you, too, August.”

My heart sighed happily. “Alright, well get out there Brian.” My Brian, I thought. I liked the sound of that.

Brian exploded with energy, prepping himself for the show. “I may run and hide when you’re screaming my name, alright?” he spoke the lyrics, taking his position with the other guys.

I stood next to Carmen as they prepared to get raised up.

“You better get hooked in,” I laughed at him, “or you’ll be the one falling while they’re flying…”

I’ll be the one,” he sang, “to hold you, and make sure that you’ll be alright.”

Shaking my head, the others guys laughed at him. “Seriously, Brian,” I wanted to make sure he was harnessed correctly. “I don’t care—" I should’ve seen what was coming.

Who you are, where you’re from, what you did,” Brian sang, blowing me a kiss as the five of them started lifting into the air.

The Backstreet Boys put their arms around each other. They joined Brian and harmonized, “As long as you love me.”

Carmen and I hurried to our seats. He’s impossible, I thought, still laughing.

But I could get used to this.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! Hope you guys enjoyed the story. "One In A Million" is sort of the sequel to this story if anyone is interested. :)