- Text Size +

“He kissed me,” I told Carmen, after much needling. “Last night.”

“I knew it!” she turned around from the stove, where she was cooking us dinner.

“What? How could you possible know?”

“You’ve been smiling for no reason all day. Not to mention daydreaming more than usual,” she pointed a spatula at me matter-of-factly.

She was right. I’d zoned out so many times at work today, it wasn’t even funny. I kept reliving that wonderful moment in my head. So far, I’d managed to keep the next moment out of my mind, but the euphoria from the kiss was eventually going to die down, and it was slowly edging closer to the surface of my mind.

I set out two plates and started pulling out some silverware.

“So?”

“What?” I asked.

“Was he a good kisser? I bet he was.”

“Why do you say that?” I avoided the question, but smiled to myself.

“August, he’s a Backstreet Boy. I’m sure he’s had plenty of practice.”

I shook my head and laughed. “He doesn’t exactly give off the rock star image. You act like he’s had two dozen girlfriends.”

“Oh, no. I was thinking groupies.”

She was still trying to be funny, but the comment wiped the grin off my face. Carmen gave me a puzzled expression, sensing the sudden change in my mood. Groupies, I thought. The worry finally surfaced and filled my mind. I tried to force it out of my head, but to no avail. “No, I’m definitely sure that Brian would never be hooking up with any groupies. Or fans.”

“What are you talking about?” She scooped pasta on each of our plates, and then poured the alfredo sauce on top.

“Brian doesn’t date fans.”

“Um… yeah he does,” she said pointedly.

“That’s just it. He doesn’t know I’m a fan, remember? At first, I didn’t think it mattered. Then I figured as long as I wasn’t… you know, crazy about it that it’d be fine. But I was so wrong.” I told her about the conversation I’d had with him.

Of course, he was right in a way. I hadn’t recognized him at first. But the realization had hit me that very night. By the time I’d seen him again, I’d been able to act normal since I’d already met him once. Even though the first encounter at been that way because I’d thought he was a regular person, it made it easier to stick to that same habit.

Brian didn’t make it difficult to treat him like any other person. A lot of other fans would probably be able to be calm around him, too, if they saw him outside the concert setting, when they were surrounded by all those other thousands of screaming fans.

How could I tell him the truth now? That I owned his new CD, as well of the first CD. That I even had a poster. I didn’t see that conversation going well.

“I’m sure he’ll understand,” she said, but her voice wasn’t very convincing.

I shook my head. “You didn’t hear how he said it.”

“Have you talked to him yet today?”

“No. I expect he’ll call later though.” I took a bite of dinner, but I soon realized that I’d lost my appetite. I pushed it away and rest my arms on the island.

What was I going to do?

~*~Brian’s point of view~*~

It didn’t matter that I’d gotten woken up incredibly early by my manager to discuss the newest interview booking. Or that the skies were threatening to start dumping rain at any moment, complete with the thunder I could faintly hear in the distance. Or that I’d tripped over something Howie had left lying in the living room and twisted my ankle. Not too horribly, just enough that it was going to be sore for a few days. Dance rehearsal was not going to be fun tomorrow.

But I didn’t care. Nothing could spoil my good mood. Hello, cloud nine. I’d wanted to call August all day, but I didn’t want to seem too pathetic, calling her first thing. And I was worried if I talked to her that she’d be able to hear the contentment in my voice. Not that I didn’t want her to know I was happy. Just not this happy.

I felt like I was a teenager again. This hadn’t been my first kiss by any means. But… I couldn’t explain it.

“What’s with you?” Kevin walked into my room, bringing me my mail.

“Nothing,” I said, keeping my face steady.

“Oh,” he bought it. “I thought I heard you humming.”

“Well, I don’t know if you know this about me, but I like to sing occasionally…”

He sent me a look, unimpressed by my joke. “Still…”

I noticed Howie was standing in the doorway. Kevin looked at me again, trying to read my face, but then simply shrugged. Turning, he noticed Howie, too.

“Talking about me, huh?” he said, noticing our sudden silence and assuming it was because of him.

“Oh, you know it, Howard,” I said, cracking up at his expression in response to me using his first name.

“Only my mom calls me that,” he said. “And last time I checked, you weren’t my…”

“There’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you, Howard,” I repeated him name, giving me a sympathetic looking, patting the spot next to me on my bed, motioning for him to sit down.

He reached over, grabbed a pillow, and threw it at me.

Using a higher voice, I said, “Is that any way to treat your mother?”

“Please, God, don’t make me share a tour bus with them,” Kevin looked up and put his hands together.

“We’re all getting our own buses…” Howie said.

“Except you, Kev. You’re sharing one with Nick.”

Kevin grabbed the same pillow Howie used and launched that at me.

“That’s my mother you’re hitting!” Howie let his own sense of humor show for a moment.

“I swear,” Kevin shook his head and left the room.

“What’s with him?” I pretended like his sudden disappearance was for no reason.

Howie didn’t follow, starting to explain.

“I know,” I silently said goodbye to his humor again for the time being. “Thanks,” I said sarcastically, shoving him out the door and laughing. It was nice while it lasted,

I looked out the window and saw that it had finally started to rain. Huge drops were pounding the window and a huge bolt of lightning streaked across the sky. It didn’t bother me in the least. Not even the sudden realization that I might’ve left the top off on the jeep. Too late to do anything now, I changed my mind right after I grabbed my keys and threw them back on the dresser.

I picked up the stack of mail that Kevin had dropped off and plopped down on the bed right after I turned on the stereo. At first, I didn’t see anything of interest. My car payment was due soon. No problem. I was pre-approved for a credit card. Woo-hoo.

The last envelope I flipped to was a letter. My breath caught as I stared at the return address in surprise. What did she want? Sighing, I ripped it open and read the contents. An unwelcome flood of emotions crashed over me as I stared at the ceiling.

Something had managed to destroy my day, after all.