- Text Size +
Carrie sighed to herself as she smoothly ran the charcoal colored pencil across the thick paper of her sketchbook. She glanced out at the skyline of Stockholm from her position in the easy chair. Her eyes slowly diverted back her sketch and she pursed her lips in frustration. She was less than satisfied with the final product of her sketch. Her first thought was to crumple up the drawing and toss it into the trash. Instead, she put the sketchbook on the bed and pulled her throw blanket up to her waist. She continued to stare out at the skyline as she grabbed her coffee cup and took a sip. Carrie cupped her hands around the warm, ceramic mug and slowly sipped her coffee as she glanced at the clock. It was almost six. Nick would be back any minute. Sitting alone in the hotel room wasn’t exactly her idea of a vacation, but it felt nice to sit back and relax without any disturbances of people around her. It was the first time she’d had quiet time since she’d finished her last final in school. She knew she had no reason to complain.

She found herself falling into a daydream about her and Nick. He seemed to be the center of her thoughts lately. She couldn’t get enough of him. Her heart fluttered a little as she pictured him talking to the press. He had a boyish charm that no one could seem to resist. A smile crept across her lips as she continued to think about him and where their future might be headed. Nick wasn’t the type to believe in marriage, but she couldn’t help but wonder if he was the one. After being together for over a year, she had no reason to doubt that their relationship would not go on to the next step. She wondered what Nick’s intentions were by flying her in to see him. He didn’t throw his money away easily, so an all expense trip to Europe was more than a big deal.

Carrie snapped out of her daze when she heard the sound of Nick turning the doorknob. She smiled as he stepped into the room with A.J. close behind. Nick beamed when he caught sight of her sitting in the chair.

“Hey, you,” he said as he made his way around the bed and sat down. “Whatcha doing?”

“Just sitting here enjoying the scenery,” she said as she put down her mug. “How was the promo meeting?”

“The usual,” Nick said with a shrug.

“Same old people, same old questions,” A.J. piped in as he reached into his pocket for his pack of cigarettes.

“So, are you done for the day, or what?”

“We’re done and we’re all starving. Wanna come to dinner with us?” Nick asked as he brushed a stray hair from her cheek.

“Definitely,” she said with a smile. “I’m famished.”

“Good, get freshened up. We’re leaving in a few minutes.”

“Okay, I’ll just change my clothes,” Carrie said as she removed her blanket.

“You coming too, Jizz?” Nick asked while checking the text message on his phone.

Carrie snickered at Nick’s shortened version of A.J.’s nickname. “That sounded so wrong,” she added as she pulled out a sweater from her suitcase.

A.J. laughed along with her. “In more ways than one,” he said while still laughing.

“Ya’ll have got your minds in the gutter,” Nick said while shaking his head.

“You said it, not me,” Carried stated.

“Hush, you,” Nick replied, not looking up from his phone.

“I’m going down to the lobby. I’ll meet you down there.”

“Okay,” Carrie said as she began brushing her hair. “Well be there shortly.”

“Peace,” A.J. said as he left the room.

Carrie pulled off her T-shirt and noticed Nick staring at her from the reflection in the mirror. “Yes?”

“Nothing,” he said with a smirk.

“Uh huh,” she said as she pulled off her sweatpants.

“Come here,” Nick said softly.

“What do you want?” Carrie said playfully, slowly walking toward him.

Nick stared at her straight faced and rubbed his hands on her sides. “I just wanna hold you for a few minutes,” he said while kissing her stomach.

“You know if I let you do that you’ll suck me into staying in here with you.”

“You make that sound like a bad thing,” he replied in a low tone. “Come here,” he said as he pulled her down on his lap.

Carrie faced him and linked her arms around his neck. “Only for a couple of minutes and then I have to get ready.”

“Okay,” Nick said as he kissed her neck.

“Nickolas,” she said while giggling. “Stop.”

“Why?” he said as he held her tighter. “You know, we could just blow off dinner and stay here tonight.”

Carrie shook her head and kissed him. “We promised Jizz that we’d meet him in the lobby.”

Nick held onto her waist a little tighter and devilishly grinned. “Why are you worried about that Jizz when you should be worrying about mine?”

Carrie smacked him on the arm with her brush. “Nickolas!”

“Ow! Damn, woman!” he said while laughing.

“You’re disgusting,” she said as she wiggled away from him. “Let me finish getting dressed.”

“Fine,” Nick said with a fake pout.

“Don’t start with me,” she replied with a giggle. “I will not hesitate to use this brush.”

“I know where and how you can use that brush,” he said with cackling at his own joke.

“Nickolas Gene Carter! You are so gross!” she said as she tossed her brush in his direction.

Nick collapsed onto the bed in a fit of laughter. “I’m sorry, I had to say it.”

“Uh huh,” she said as she turned back again began freshening up her make up.

As she was applying her mascara, she could see his reflection in the mirror. He was still lying on his back in his own little world with his Blackberry phone. She snickered as she watched him squint at the screen and type a text message. By the look on his face, she could tell it was from his brother, Aaron. She looked down at her make up bag and pulled out her lip gloss. When she looked back at him in the mirror, he was sitting up and looking at her sketchpad. Before she could even react, he had already picked it up and began observing her work.

“Hey, you drew!” he said with a twinkle in his eye.

“Nick, don’t,” she said as she quickly whirled around.

“These are great!” he exclaimed as he flipped through the sketchpad. “Ooh! I like this one!”

“Give that to me,” she demanded as she attempted to grab it from him.

“Hey, don’t be so grabby,” he said as he held it away from her. “Unless you’re grabbing me then that’s okay.”

“Ugh, you,” Carrie said as she snatched the sketchpad from him and lightly smacked his arm with it.

“Ouch! Damn, you’re violent today,” he said as he rubbed his arm. “Why can’t I look at your sketches.”

“You know why,” she said as she shoved the book into her bag.

“Yeah, because you think you suck.”

“It’s just a hobby, no big deal,” Carrie said as she put a new shirt on.

“You’re too damn hard on yourself,” he stated. “You really are talented. I’m not just saying that.”

“Nick, it’s just something I do to relax. I don’t plan on making a career out of it or anything.”

“I just don’t get why you want to hide them from me. I suck at drawing too, but I still show my work to people.”

Carrie rolled her eyes and slipped on her shoes. “Nick, you designed your own comic book. Don’t even give me that “I suck too” speech.”

Nick shook his head and laughed. “You are getting upset over nothing, but if you don’t want me to look at your sketches, I won’t.”

“Thank you,” she said as she grabbed her coat. “Are you ready?”

“I don’t know, am I?” he replied coyly.

“You are testing my patience tonight,” she said while laughing.

Nick smiled and stood up. “Just let me go pee and we can head down there.”

“Hurry up,” she said as she lightly tapped his ass.

Nick leaned in to kiss her, but slowly backed away. Carrie watched him as his face scrunched up to the obvious sign of an oncoming sneeze. He held up his index finger let out a sneeze.

“Bless you,” Carrie said.

“Thank--thank--,” he said as he prepared for another sneeze.

He sneezed again and blinked back his watery eyes. Carrie observed him as he waited for another sneeze.

“Bless you again,” she said softly.

“Jesus, did you put perfume on?” he said while plugging his nose.

“No,” Carrie said while shaking her head. “You better not be getting sick on me.”

“Nah, I’m fine,” Nick said as he sniffled. “Okay, now I’m going to pee.”

“I’ll wait right here,” she said as she sat on the bed.

She observed herself in the mirror, gently smoothing out her shirt. She pursed her lips as another sneeze from Nick was heard from behind the door. Carrie sighed as she heard him blow his nose and run water in the sink before emerging from the bathroom.

“Damn, I can’t stop sneezing,” he said as he threw away his tissue.

“Are you sure you’re not getting sick?” she said as she eyed him suspiciously.

“I swear I’m not getting sick,” he said as he put on his jacket. “Let’s go eat.”

“Alright,” Carrie said as she followed him out of the room.

She watched him as he continued to sniffle as they waited for the elevator. Nick looked at her and chuckled.

“Stop, I’m fine,” he assured.

“I know how you are, Nick. You never admit when you’re coming down with something.”

“It’s probably dust,” he replied. “Stop worrying so much,” he said then kissed her. “I’m fine.”

“If you say so,” she replied then followed him into the elevator.

Carrie didn’t know what it was, but it was almost like a sixth sense. Her gut instinct was telling her that he was lying. She softly drew out a breath and shook the thought of her head. He was right, there was no sense in her worrying about it. She knew that he’d cave in when the time was right.