- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'd like to thank all my supportive readers for being so patient with me. I've been really busy with school. Summer classes were really fast paced and I needed to stay focused. I hope you enjoy this chapter and I do intend to update now that I'm on vacation for a few weeks! Enjoy!
Chapter 4

Carrie scrunched her nose as she heard the muffled sound of her cell phone ringing inside her purse. She blinked a few times and looked around the room, her mind still cloudy from slumber. A sigh escaped her lips as she heard her phone continue to ring. Carrie rolled her eyes and attempted to slide out from underneath Nick. His body heavily laid on top of her as he softly snored in her ear. She carefully slid to the left and sucked in a breath of annoyance as she felt him grip tighter onto her waist.

“Dammit, Nick,” she whispered as she tried to pry his hand away from her hip.

Nick babyishly whimpered as he pulled her back over to him. Carrie pursed her lips as she was being tugged. The phone continued to ring and Carrie gave up trying as she looked over at Nick who still had his eyes closed. The room fell silent as her phone stopped ringing. She listened for it to go off again, but no sound was heard from her distant purse. She shrugged off her annoyance and settled herself back into Nick’s arms. Carried rolled over to face him and studied him for a moment. He laid beside her, his breathing was steady and his eyelashes rested against his cheek. His hair was tousled against his head, slightly damp from sweating overnight. Her eyes diverted to his kissable lips and softly smiled as she traced his lips with her thumb. Carried cupped her hand over his feverish cheek and slowly moved closer to plant a soft kiss on his forehead. Nick lightly stirred and breathed in deep as he fell back into his slumber. She moved her hand his back as he nuzzled his head against hers. His shirt was sticking to his skin and warm to the touch. Carrie slowly exhaled as she licked her lips and looked up at the ceiling. The room was moderately cool and still dark with the curtains drawn. She tried to relax and go back to sleep, but she was still alert from being woken up by her ringing phone. Nick cleared his throat and jerked awake. Carrie glanced at him and smiled.

“Good morning, Sunshine,” she said as she smoothed out his hair.

“Morning,” he said in a hoarse mumble.

Carrie observed his face as he stared off into space. She kissed his cheek and rubbed his arm.

“How are you feeling?” she softly asked.

“Fine,” Nick said as he sat up and scratched his scruffy chin. “What time is it?” he asked.

Carrie glanced at the clock beside the bed and sat up. “Almost nine.”

“Still kinda early,” he said as he loudly yawned. “We gotta meet the guys for breakfast in an hour.”

“You want the shower? I could stand to wait until we get to our next stop,” she said as she pushed the blankets off herself.

“Yeah,” Nick said then sniffled. “It’s fucking hot in here,” he said as he pulled off his shirt.

“The heat’s on low,” she said reached to check his forehead.

“Don’t start,” he said as he grabbed her hand. “I’m fine.”

“You are too stubborn for your own good,” Carrie said while shaking her head.

Nick smirked and kissed her cheek. “Will you pack up my bag while I’m in the shower?”

“Of course,” she said with a smile.

“Thanks, Babe,” he said as he slid out of bed.

She watched him as he walked to the bathroom and shut the door behind him. Carrie got out of bed and stretched her stuff muscles as she stepped over to the dresser. She picked up her brush and worked through the tangles in her hair. She sat on the edge of the bed and reached for the remote. Carrie flipped through the channels until she found a familiar show to watch. A smile crept across her lips as she watched an old episode of Full House. Carrie swept her hair up in a messy bun and picked up Nick’s bag from the floor. She glanced at the TV as she organized his suitcase, separating his clean clothes from the dirty ones. With a nod of satisfaction, she moved the bag to the side and repeated the process with her own bag. She pulled out a clean pair of powder blue jogging pants and a white sweatshirt. A commercial break came on as she changed out of her pajamas. She had just put on her socks when Nick opened the bathroom door. He loudly coughed and cleared his throat as he stepped out in his towel.

“I left your bag open since I didn’t know what you’d want to wear,” she said as she stood up. “I’m going to brush my teeth while you dress,” she said then kissed him.

“That’s fine,” he said as he returned the kiss.

Carrie looked at him and slid her hands down his bare chest. The scent of his soap reached her nose and she softly exhaled. She was concerned as she gazed at his tired face. Nick stepped back and chuckled.

“You worry too damn much,” he said as he sniffled.

“I didn’t say anything,” she protested.

“You didn’t have to,” he said as he pulled out a pair of jeans from his bags. “Go finish getting ready. I’m starting to get hungry.”

“Fine,” Carrie said as she went into the bathroom.

She swiftly brushed her teeth as she glanced in the mirror, watching Nick as he stepped into the bathroom in his favorite white T-shirt and grey hoodie. He sniffled as he zipped up his hoodie and looked in the mirror. Nick place his hands on her hips and gently moved her to the side as he gathered his toiletry bag from off the counter. He kissed the top of her head and swiftly left the bathroom with his bag under his arm. Carrie spit out her toothpaste and rinsed her mouth as quickly as she could. She wiped her mouth with a towel and gathered her stuff from off the counter.

Nick was zipping up his bag when she walked over to the bed. She dumped her toothpaste and toothbrush into her zip lock bag and sealed it shut. Nick shoved his bag over to the side and plopped down on the bed as she shut her suitcase.

“I’m almost done, babe,” she said as she zipped up the suitcase.

“No make up?” he teased.

“Not when I’m going to be sitting on a plane for hours,” she said then stuck out her tongue.

Nick smirked and grabbed her waist. “You don’t need any of that stuff anyway,” he said as he pulled her down onto his lap.

“Thank you,” she said then kissed him. “You know, you really are warm,” she said with a giggle.

“I’m not sick,” he defended. “It’s just hot in here.”

“Alright, fine. I won’t pester you,” she said as she hugged him. “I’m all ready to go.”

Nick looked at the clocked and drew out a breath. “Yeah, I’m sure they’re already down there waiting on us.”

“Then let’s go,” Carrie said as she stood up.

Carrie grabbed her bags and followed Nick out to the elevator. She straightened her sweatshirt as she patiently waited for the elevator door to open. Nick pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and began texting. Carrie leaned her head against his arm and stared at the shiny elevator door.

“You’re still tired, aren't you?” he said while texting.

“Can you blame me? You were snoring like a giant pig last night.”

Nick laughed and shoved his phone in his pocket. “Sorry, I guess I was a little tired.”

“Uh huh,” Carrie said as the elevator door opened.

Nick let her into the elevator first and followed closely behind. She pressed the button for the first floor and crossed her arms as she watched the numbers go down. Nick loudly cleared his throat and gently stroked her back as he leaned against the wall. The elevator came to a stop and the door opened with a loud ding. Carrie stepped out of the elevator and waited for Nick to lead the way. She followed him to the front desk and watched as he dropped off the room key. He turned around and looked around the lobby.

“We’re meeting the guys up at the hotel restaurant,” he said as he brushed past her.

Carrie followed closely behind Nick as they came to the entrance of the restaurant. The smell of fresh bacon made her mouth water. Her stomach growled as she followed Nick to the table. She smiled as A.J. stood up and took her bags from her.

“Thanks, Alex,” she said as she took a seat beside Nick.

“Any time,” he replied as he sat down. “We’ve already ordered, so you guys go ahead.”

“Man, nobody ever waits on me,” Nick complained as he opened his menu.

“That’s because you’re always late,” Brian joked.

“Shut up,” Nick muttered. “I wasn’t late. Ya’ll were just early.”

“Keep telling yourself that and maybe it’ll be true,” Howie joked from across the table.

Carrie snickered and placed her hand on Nick’s thigh. “What are you getting?”

“The usual,” Nick said as he put the menu down and smiled at her.

“Egg whites, toast, and orange juice?” she replied as she squeezed his thigh.

“You’ve got it,” he said then placed his hand over hers. “What are you getting?”

“I’m thinking pancakes,” she said with wide eyes. “That sounds so good.”

Nick laughed and linked his fingers with hers. “You sure about that?”

Carried shrugged and looked at him. “I’m on vacation. Why not?”

Nick nodded and leaned in closer to her. “I’m just teasing. You can have whatever you want.”

“Good,” Carried replied then kissed him.

“Oh, god, get a room,” A.J. joked. “Nobody wants to see that.”

“Alex, stop being a pest,” Carrie said as she tossed her napkin at him.

A.J. laughed as he lifted up his glass. “Nick, what’s with you, man? Did you wake up on the cranky side of the bed this morning?”

“He’s sick and doesn’t want to admit it.”

“I am not,” Nick said as he leaned back in his chair.

“Stubborn,” Carrie whispered loudly.

“Well, you look like shit,” A.J. commented.

“Thank you, Dr. McLean,” Nick snapped. “Where the fuck is our waiter? I’d like to eat some time this century.”

“Stop bickering and chill,” Carrie said. “Have some patience.”

“Meh, screw patience. I’m not in the mood.”

“Nick!”

“Don’t start,” Nick muttered as he signaled the waiter. “I just wanna eat and go to the airport.”

Carrie let go of his hand and sat back in her chair. She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms as Nick ordered their food. She glanced at A.J. from across the table and he was chuckling at Nick’s behavior. Carrie closed her eyes and looked the opposite direction. It was obvious that it was going to be a very long day.