- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I want to thank my best friend Melissa for her constant feedback on this story! Thanks so much!

"Madi, are you okay?" Evan asked through the door.

"No, go away." I called back.

"Not working, open the door." He called back through the door.

I cursed as I stood from my desk. I knew he wouldn't leave until I opened the door. I stared up at him once I opened the door and I saw the concern flash through his grey eyes. "Darlin, what is going on?" I wanted to yell at him for trying to sound southern. He was as gay as the day is long, and the southern accent wasn't needed and it didn't help him at all.

"Nothing," I lied and turned on my heel before he could see it in my face.

"You're good but you aren't that good. Now tell me what is wrong." He said entering my office closing the door behind him. I watched as he settled in the easy chair across from my desk chair. When he had crossed his legs and straightened his pants he looked up at me.

"I told you I'm fine." He sighed and I groaned. "I'm single."

He gasped, "Oh Lord, what happened?" I looked away from Evan the tears stinging the back of my eyes. "Madison, what happened?"

I looked back at him and I saw pity, the one thing I didn't want to see. "He doesn't 'trust' me." I said making the motion for quotation marks.

"Why not?" His voice rose just like mine had.

"Because I won't drop everything that I'm doing here and follow him around like a lost puppy. Hell I don't know. We have fought all night, and I just left."

"So, you aren't actually single, you are assuming you are single." Evan asked.

"How can I not be? I just left, you know I don't do that. It was easier than staying there and seeing him there." I said and sighed. I blinked to clear my eyes and two tears left my eyes. I sniffled and wiped my eyes.

"Honey, you have to give him time."

"Why do I have to give him time?!" I asked looking at Evan.

"Well he's used to being in control, I'm sure he's never had a girl like you before."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked looking at him out of the corner of my eye.

"Don't you give me that look. He's never had someone who is as career driven as you are. You're as bad as he is, if not worse." Evan said with a coy smile.

"Good cover." I said with a smile.

"I thought so. Give him time darling, it will all work out."

"Not if I don't want it to." I said.

"You don't mean that."

"Like hell I don't."

"Okay Madi, whatever you say." He said and stood. "You know you don't." He looked over his shoulder as he stopped at the door.

"Whatever Evan."