- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much for all the feedback!

 

I didn’t see my mysterious beach angel again until Sunday. I spent the afternoon with Anna and her family. She made pot roast with roasted potatoes and carrots and then we just relaxed in the living room, discussing the different current events of the world before playing some cards. She was always so relaxing to be around; no pressure to get over what I’m dealing with, no pressure to move on with my life, just me …being myself and feeling how I feel. Her husband, Greg, was probably one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He was so genuine and pleasant, very considerate and always went out of his way to make you feel at ease and welcomed. They had an adorable toddler, Abigail, who looked just like her mother and adored her father.

It was a nice, relaxing afternoon and I decided to stop by the grocery store in the way home. I preferred to get my errands done while I was already out as opposed to having to go out just to do them. That way on my days off, I could just relax and enjoy them. Not have to worry about what bills I needed to mail, or making a list then doing some shopping. I hated grocery shopping. It was so tedious to have to figure out what you wanted to eat that week then walk aisle after aisle deciding which brand was better and what price you wished to pay. Such a hassle for me and so I’d usually end up waiting until the very last minute which of course then meant I’d come home with a car chock full of bags.

But on that warm, Sunday evening, I made the dreaded stop. Fortunately I wasn’t inside for too long, I took my cart and cruised the aisles, selecting the different items before making my way to the checkout. After paying, and loading the bags into my cart, I strolled along towards the exit, stopping just outside to slip on my sunglasses. The sun was very bright that early evening and I didn’t want to have to squint while driving home.

As I slipped my sunglass case back into my purse, something caught my eye and I looked, feeling a chill run down the middle of my chest and straight into my stomach. It was my beach angel; no he wasn’t really an angel, he was just another regular human. But still, there he stood, watching me behind dark shades with a cigarette pinched between his thumb and forefinger.

He stood straighter when our eyes met and flicked some cigarette ash onto the ground. “I wasn’t expecting to see you here.”

That rich voice made my heart beat just a little faster. “I uh… always shop here.”

“So I see.”

“Are you stalking me?”

He took a drag from the cigarette before speaking, plumes of smoke escaping his mouth and nose. “Sure seems that way, doesn’t it. Us always running into each other.”

I shrugged. “Maybe it’s just a coincidence.”

“A very weird coincidence.”

“So you are stalking me.”

“I’m not stalking anyone.” He smashed the butt of his cigarette into one of those trash cans with the ash tray that circled the rim.

I didn’t think he was. “How’s um… Bernie?”

He was now pulling a pack of gum from his pocket. “Doc called me with the results Friday. It’s definitely cancer.”

“Gosh, I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be.” He popped a piece of the gum into his mouth before offering me the pack. I just shook my head. “Doc said that it’s treatable and that it’s not usually the cancer that kills dogs. Long as his kidneys and liver don’t start malfunctioning we have a fighting chance.”

“That’s… that’s good news, right?” I was teetering on the edge of either hope or despair.

He gave a nod and repocketed his gum. “It’s better than what I had been expecting. I have this long list of things I have to do now.”

“Well um…” I shifted and rolled the cart back and forth, wanting to tell him everything would be fine, but knowing that is the last thing you are supposed to say. It’s not going to be fine, and it may never be fine again. “I um…I’m sorry and I wish you the best with everything.”

“Thank you.”

He sounded so somber and suddenly I wanted to console him, cradle him and sooth his fear away. “You’re welcome.” I offered a hopeful smile then motioned towards my bags of food. “I’m gonna get going…don’t want to spoil the milk.”

“Right, don’t want that.”

I nodded. “Exactly. I’ll um… see you around.” Then I turned and started for my car, feeling his eyes still on me.

I had only gotten a few feet away when he spoke.

“Have dinner with me.”

I froze, his words registering and causing my heart to leap up into my throat.

“Please.”

Slowly, I turned to face him, seeing he had removed his shades and was watching me with such a raw and honest expression. It made my chest twinge.

“Wednesday night.” He stepped from the sidewalk and onto the black pavement of the parking lot. “Unless you’re busy Wednesday night. I could do Thursday. Even Friday.”

I didn’t know what to say, so I just stared at him feeling a pressure welling inside.

He was moving closer to me and those eyes were making my knees knock together. “Maybe even Saturday.”

“Y…wh…I…”

He stopped just a few inches from me, reaching a hand up and gently brushing my cheek with it. “Whichever day works best for you.”

I felt like I could topple over sideways. “Y…you aren’t… you aren’t serious.”

Those allusive eyes bore into mine. “As serious as a heart attack.”

“Well I… um you.. um I um…”

His lips curved into a smile. “Wednesday night it is.” His hand smoothed down my arm and gave it a gentle squeeze. “I’ll pick you up at seven.” And then he turned and strode towards the entrance of the grocery store without so much as a glance back.

I stared at his retreating form. What the hell had just happened here? I was thoroughly confused and felt my head swimming at trying to wrap it around how this man, whose name I didn’t even know, had talked me into having dinner with him.

The honk from a car jerked me back to my senses and I quickly pushed my cart, and myself, out of the way.

As I loaded my grocery bags into the back of my Aura, I was still trying to figure what exactly had transpired. It had happened so quickly and left me stumbling over myself and unable to comprehend it in time. And now I had this date with this man … and I was still at a complete loss for words.

~*~*~*~*~

On Monday I was back at work. I spent most of the morning and afternoon showing houses. I had three prospective clients. Brandon and Kaitlyn Martin, a newly married couple that had just moved from Arizona; he was an orthopedic surgeon and she was a hair stylist. They were a picturesque couple with their blonde hair and dreamy blue eyes, perfect bodies and complete and total adoration for each other. He wanted her to have the house she’d always dreamed about so we had spent a good three hours touring two perspective locations. They, of course, wanted a couple days to think it over but promised to call before the weekend. One property was a hot commodity so I had let them know, the sooner the better.

Next up were Kyle and Gayle Weatherly. They were a middle aged couple married going on 20 years with two teenage boys and a tween girl. The Weatherly’s were looking for areas with good schools, safe neighborhoods and places not too far from the activities their children liked to participate in. Aaron was a soccer fanatic, trying to gain a scholarship for college, Kevin was working towards his black belt in martial arts and little Melody could bend over backwards and walk on her hands from all her gymnastics training; a very active family that needed a house that represented exactly that. It was trying to find something that fit all of their needs, but I had uncovered one home hidden away in lush foliage with a backyard big enough for a makeshift soccer field. They fell in love immediately and made an offer.

And my final client of the day was Peter Berkins. He was in his mid 50’s and strikingly handsome, with blond hair tinged with steaks of silver, a golden tan; sparkling green eyes and a smile that made him look ten years younger. This was his third home; he already had one in Florida and Colorado. He was single and not looking for anything more than someone to warm his bed at night; a rich playboy who kept the champagne flowing and girls satisfied. He wanted a beach house with big floor to ceiling windows and a deck that would lead you directly down to the beach. He hadn’t been easy to accommodate and after our third beach home, we’d finally called it a day and agreed to try again on Friday.

I was back in the office by four. I filled in the paperwork required and sent over the offer the Weatherly’s had given me. I should have an answer back by Wednesday. They had been very excited and I could tell would probably go a bit higher in their bid if need be. Hopefully it wouldn’t come to that. I was pretty sure the current owners would feel satisfied with the offer and accept. Then we’d be in escrow and deal with the bank until finally everyone was approved and they had their home. A tedious process, but very rewarding.

I had signed off my computer account and was straightening up my desk when Zoe Houghton stepped from her office. She wore a crisp, tailored, dark blue suit and her red hair was piled high atop her head. She always moved with finesses and power, and just one look at her and one would definitely know who was in charge. I slipped my files into my desk drawer and closed it, turning the key so the lock slipped into place and watched as she stopped at the head of the room, folding her arms across her chest and clearing her throat.

“I have an announcement.” She finally spoke, her voice ringing clear throughout the room.

All eyes turned towards her, their motions ceasing.

“The National Association of Realtors will be hosting their annual expo in three months, over the last weekend in June. And of course, I would like for this company to have a few representatives there. It’s going to be a four day event and will consist of a variety of conferences and meetings, as well as an opportunity to browse the expo floor and learn about new techniques, new software and much more valuable information.” She paused and gave her words time to register.

“I will be selecting the attendees, but it will be based off of your ratio on how many homes you are able to market and sell to how many clients you have taken on. The top two will be chosen and put up in a hotel; accommodations and meals taken care of. In the event of a tie, then all the winners shall attend. There is one catch though…” She paused and scanned the room over.

A few murmurs sounded, but for the most part all kept quiet waiting to hear what Zoe had to say.

“The conference this year will be in Hawaii.”

Suddenly everyone was talking at once.

“Hawaii?!”

“That’s great!”

“Where do I sign up?”

“I want to go!”

“Count me in!”

Zoe let them converse in excitement for a moment before holding up her hand. “Obviously, not everyone can attend. So I thought the top two sales agents over the next three months should be the ones to represent our firm. It’s only fair and I think it’s going to be a good incentive to sell some houses.” She looked around the room, taking in all the eager and excited faces. “So, good luck. And if you have any questions, I will be posting the information and brochures on the bulletin board. Anything else, just let me know. I’m expecting to see fabulous results.” Then with a final grin, she turned and headed back into her office.

Of course that’s all anyone could talk about for the last couple hours.

Anna stopped by my desk, propping her hip against the mahogany wood. “How exciting is that? Hawaii?!”

I leaned back in my chair, turning my baby blues onto her. “Yeah, it’s very exciting.” Truth be told, I was not that eager to go. Yes, I knew that at the moment I was the top realtor the agency had, but in three months I might not be. And secretly I wished I wouldn’t be. I never wanted to go to Hawaii again.

Hugh and I had honeymooned on the white beaches of the beautiful island state. We’d made love in the surf, gone scuba diving, hiked and toured a volcano in a helicopter. We’d island hopped and gone out on those little glass bottom boats. We swam with dolphins and took lazy walks amongst the wildlife. It was probably the most amazing time I’ve ever had and now all it would do was drudge up more feelings and memories I didn’t want to be having.

“What’s wrong?”

Anna’s voice cut through my reverie and I blinked, focusing on her once more. “Um, nothing.”

“You sure? You looked….a little out of sorts.”

I nodded and sat up again. “Yeah, I’m good.”

She eyed me with a knowing look, but let it drop. “So, rumor has it, you’re the top agent as of right now.”

How had that gotten out? “Really?” I pretended not to know.

“Mhm, apparently Maureen overheard Zoe talking with her secretary.”

“Oh.”

“That’s great, Morgan. Means you have a head start on everybody else. You showed some houses today, right? How’d that go?”

I rubbed the back of my neck and gave a little shrug. “Well, the newlyweds have to think it over, the married with kids couple made an offer and the Hugh Heffner wannabe didn’t like anything. We have another appointment Friday.”

“So that’s one for sure…possibly even two.”

“Unless the offer falls through, or the bank doesn’t accept the loan.”

“I’m sure none of that will happen and you’ll be basking in the warm Hawaiian sun before you know it. Ooh, I wonder who that second person will be.”

“Let’s hope it’s not Dixon.”

“Speaking of which, do you know he’s going around telling people you slapped him?”

My brows shot up. “Really?”

She nodded, her dark hair bobbing. “Yeah, he said he stopped by your place to see how you were doing and you went crazy on him.”

If he were standing here right now I’d go more than crazy on him. “I should have clawed his eyes out.”

Anna took in my frown. “What happened?”

“He showed up out of the blue, let himself into my house and then proceeded to look through my belongings before I found him.”

Anna’s eyes widened as I spoke and she brought a hand to her mouth, obviously shocked.

I nodded my head in affirmation. “He was looking through all the photographs on my mantle.”

“So you slapped him?”

“Not yet. First, I asked what he was doing in my house and how he’d gotten in. It was when he was going on about…” my voice dropped a notch. “…Hugh and how it must have been a divorce I couldn’t let go of… that’s when I slapped him.”

Anna gawked. “He seriously said it was a divorce you couldn’t let go of?”

I nodded, a rather annoyed expression on my face.

“I’m surprised you didn’t kick him in the balls.”

“I didn’t think of that.”

“Geeze, what a bastard.”

“Tell me about it.” A snort. “And now he’s telling people I went crazy on him? I oughta go kick him in the balls right now.”

My friend waved her hand. “While that is something I’m not totally against, I think it’d be much wiser if you just ignored it. Everyone knows Dixon can be all hot air and no one really takes him seriously.”

“I don’t want rumors spread about me.”

She shook her head. “There won’t be. They all know how level headed and rational you are and how slimy he can be. I’m sure they figure he put the moves on you and was turned down; so now he’s telling people you went crazy so he doesn’t look bad.”

I frowned. “Well that doesn’t sound much better.”

“It’ll all blow over in a day or two.” Anna slipped from the desk and gave my shoulder a squeeze. “Don’t let it get to you. Don’t let him get to you.”

Yeah, that’s definitely something I was trying not to let happen. “You’re right.” I nodded and tucked some hair behind my ear. “Let’s not talk about this anymore.”

“Sure thing.” My friend merrily chirped as she changed the subject. “So, when you win the trip to Hawaii, are you going to buy a new bathing suit? Ooh, we could go shopping together.”

I chuckled low and tilted my head, deciding to amuse her. “Sure, but on one condition…”

“What’s that?” She lifted a brow.

“You have to go with me.”

Anna chuckled and waved a hand, dismissing my statement. “I already said I would.”

“No,” I laughed. “You have to go to Hawaii. You have to be the second winner.”

“But I-“

“Come on, Anna. Don’t make me go with anyone else…like Dixon.” I chuckled. “He may not make it back in one piece.”

“You’re right. That would not be a good combination.”

I beamed. “You’ll come then?”

She gave a little sigh and seemed to be mulling it over. “I suppose I could. Greg could take the weekend off and we could leave Abi with my parents.”

I rose from my chair, grabbing up my leather-bound bag. “Good. It’s settled then.”

Anna gave a firm nod. “Yes. We’re going to win the contest and go to Hawaii.”

“Right.” I slipped a few folders into my bag before flipping it closed.

“Hawaii, here we come!” She was excited now.

Me? Not so much.

Chapter End Notes:

 

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? Lemme know.