- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow, thank you so much for all the wonderful reviews! Sorry this update is a little late, I was out of town. Enjoy and I can't wait to hear what ya'll think of this one.

 

The next couple days passed uneventful, yet busy for me. I was suddenly swamped at work and stayed till 9pm both Wednesday and Thursday night. I probably took on more clients than I should have, but things were just moving along so easily I thought I could handle it. And so far, I seemed to be doing well. Peter Berkins finally put an offer on his beach house and Brandon and Kaitlyn Martin had found another home they wanted to make an offer on. Picking up three new clients on Wednesday hopefully won’t have been a mistake.

I didn’t get a real chance to talk with Dianna since I had cancelled our Sunday plans. She called and left a few messages, but when I wasn’t swamped in the office, I was out in the field giving tours and trying to barter between prospective buyers and homeowners on selling prices. I had it on my to-do list to call her when I got home Friday evening. I had made a promise to myself not to stay late and try to get out of there by seven at the latest. I knew she was dying to find out about this guy that had taken precedence over her Sunday plans, and while I was still guarded with all the details, I knew I could let her in on a little bit.

I was trying not to let Alex get too far into my head at the moment. He knew I wanted to take things slow and so we hadn’t spoken since he left my place on Tuesday night. I think we both needed a few days to digest everything that was happening and forming between us and so we had agreed not to speak until this weekend. He had said it was my turn to figure out the weekend date and I hadn’t even had the opportunity to think about what I might want to do. So after my conversation with Dianna, I’d be pouring over Google and trying to come up with something he’d enjoy as much as me. Almost two years in the city and I still wasn’t sure what all there was to do.

It was Dixon Giles’ voice that pulled me back to my surroundings.

“You’ve been pretty busy lately.”

My clear blue eyes blinked and I turned to find him leaning over my desk with his hands placed squarely on the wood surface. “Wh…what um…can I help you with?” I hadn’t even heard him approach.

He gave a simple shrug. “Just taking notice of all the clients you’ve been taking on.” A pause. “You trying to win the trip to Hawaii?”

A frown settled on my features. “No, I’m just doing my job.”

“Ah.”

My eyes narrowed. “What do you want, Dixon?”

He remained hunched over my desk. “I’m going to be one of the winners. With all the work you’re taking on, maybe you’ll be the other.”

“What do you want?” I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

He seemed to lean in towards me more. “Wouldn’t that be nice? Both of us together in Hawaii?”

I arched a brow. “Why would that be nice?” Nice is the last thing it would be.

“An exotic place? The two of us? My looks, your grace…we’d be good together.”

Was he seriously coming onto me? I mean, seriously? “You’re joking right.”

He blinked, and for a split second a look of hurt passed through his eyes before quickly disappearing. “Why would I joke about that? You and me, Morgan, we’d be one of those powerhouse couples. Beauty, brains, style,” his eyes seemed to rake over me, “sensuality.”

“I hope you’re not suggesting what I think you’re suggesting, because if you are then I’m going to have to report you to Zoe,” I kept my voice calm and even, “sexual harassment is not tolerated.”

His laugh made me want to shove cotton balls into my ears. “Oh, you think this is sexual harassment?” He seemed to lean even closer to me and I recoiled back. “If you want sexual harassment, I could show you sexual harassment.”

My eyes met his without flinching at his threat. “If you don’t get out of my face and back off my desk, you’re going to wish you had never come over here.”

“Are you threatening me?” His eyes seemed to be dancing with amusement.

I wasn’t in the mood for any of his games. “Dixon, go back to your desk and leave me alone.”

“You know I’m right, baby.” He pulled back and stood straight, smoothing his shirt. “And when we get to Hawaii, you’ll finally see just how good together we are.” Then with a wink, he turned and strolled back towards his workplace.

I watched him go with utter disgust. His so-called threats had made my stomach churn and I didn’t even realize how hard I was gripping the arms of my chair until I finally flexed my fingers and found them stiff. Dixon had better not be one of those Hawaiian trip winners unless I was not one. If I did win, and that being a big if, and if I even decided to go, that being an even bigger if, Anna or someone else had better be the other ticket claimer. If it came down to me and Dixon, there’s no way I’d agree to go.

“What’s wrong?”

I looked over to find Anna next to me. She watched me then glanced off in the direction I had been looking then back to me again.

I rolled my eyes and sat up straight in my chair. “Heh, Dixon was just here going on about how good together we’d be and how he’s sure he and I will win this contest.”

“Oh whatever,” She gave a laugh, “he’s so full of hot air, you know that, Morgan. Besides, I think you and I are leading. Zoe’s gonna post a chart on the bulletin board on Monday.”

“I know he is, but it doesn’t stop the fact that he made a few rather crude and sexual comments. I have half a mind to report him to Zoe.”

“Right, and make it your word against his. There’s no proof and you know how clean a record Dixon has. You’re the newbie here.”

“What does that mean?” I frowned at her.

“Put your claws away,” She touched my shoulder, “it just means that Dixon hasn’t done anything or acted in any way to support your claims.”

“You don’t believe me?”

She sighed. “No, Morgan, that’s not what I was saying. I believe you, but as for Zoe believing you, that might be kind of hard to pull off.”

I frowned and slouched in my seat. “Why would I make something like that up?”

“Because you’re trying to get back at him for passing word around the office about what happened when he stopped by your place the other week?”

“People would seriously think that?”

A shrug. “Some might.”

I huffed and folded my arms across my chest. “Heh, whatever, but if he says or does one more thing, I won’t hesitate to report him.”

My friend squeezed my shoulder. “I think he’s just trying to get under your skin.”

“Well, it’s working.”

“You can’t let it though. He knows that and so he’s going to keep doing it.”

I sighed and tried to shrug the conversation off my mind. “Dixon just pushes my buttons in ways I can’t even describe, and not in a good way.”

“You’re going to have to figure out a way you two can co-exist without him getting on your last nerve.”

“If he would stop talking to me, I think we’d be just fine.”

“I don’t think that’s going to happen.”

I frowned at my desk, crease lines appearing on my forehead. “Then I’m going to just have to try harder to ignore him.”

~*~*~*~*~

That evening, Dianna and I lounged on my couch. She sipped on a glass of chardonnay and I googled different activities Alex and I could do on Saturday, or Sunday, whatever day we decided. I could feel her eyes on me as I scanned a webpage filled with different date ideas and glanced over the top of my notebook at her. “Hm?”

She took a sip of her wine then rested the glass on her leg, one curled up under her. “How much do you like this guy?”

I shrugged some and scratched my shoulder. “I’m not sure yet. We’re taking things very slow.”

“How slow is very slow?”

“Um,” I tilted my head, “I don’t know, just slow. We haven’t even called it …dating. We’re keeping things simple and not giving labels.”

“And he’s cool with all this?” She watched me curiously.

I nodded. “He’s amazingly cool with it. I’ve never met someone so patient and…” I searched for the words, “understanding and supportive and just…chill.”

“Wow,” she arched a brow, “you seem in very serious like of this man.”

I felt a slight blush creeping up onto my cheeks. “I do like him, but at the same time I’m scared to death.”

Dianna gave a nod before taking another sip of her wine. “That’s understandable, but you don’t want to take it too slow.”

“Whatcha mean?”

“I wouldn’t want this guy to grow impatient or lose interest because things weren’t progressing quickly enough for him.”

Pressing my lips together, I thought back on the conversations held between us and his determination that we were brought together for a reason and supposed to be together. “I don’t think that’s going to happen.”

“Good.” She smiled warmly and I returned it then went back to my task at hand.

“I’m at a total loss for what we can do this weekend.”

“Why’s that?”

I sighed and maneuvered the browser back to the Google search results. “I don’t want it to be the typical date, like dinner and a movie. I want something a little bit different.”

Dianna rose from her spot on the loveseat and sank down next to me on the sectional. “Well, what kinds of things does he like?” She peeked to the screen of my notebook.

“He likes art and movies…um water sports…” I listed off a few more things and scanned over the list of selections that had been found in my search.

“You could take him horseback riding.”

I looked at her. “Horseback riding?”

“Yeah,” she nodded and leaned forward, setting her wineglass on the coffee table, “he’s a pretty chill guy, right?”

I nodded then let her take the laptop from me and settle it in her own lap. “Yeah.”

“Maybe he’d like it. You could call and ask him.” She began typing something into the web browser.

“Ooh, I could text him.” I leaned and got my phone from the coffee table. “I hope he doesn’t think it’s stupid, cuz I love horseback riding.” Quickly I directed a text to his phone asking about the activity.

A moment later he sent one back telling me he loves horses and has gone a few times in his day.

I giggled low and showed it to Dianna. “We can do that, it’ll be perfect. Thanks.”

“Anytime, hon.” She slipped the notebook back into my lap. “Okay, here’s a place not too far from here. The owners are really great and they have some of the prettiest and most behaved horses.”

“Ooh, okay.” I looked to the screen and took note of the page, reading about a ranch nestled in the mountains with breathtaking views of the pacific and beautiful trails for the horses. “This sounds really nice.”

“Mmhmm, the owner’s a good friend of mine. I’ll give her a call in the morning and I’m sure she’ll fit you in either tomorrow or Sunday. Whatever day you decide.”

I sent my friend a grateful smile. “Thank you so much.”

“Ooh, you know what else you could do?” Her eyes widened some at her idea. “Take a picnic lunch with you. There are some nice places to spread a blanket and admire the view while you eat.”

“Ooh,” I mirrored her expression, “that’s a good idea. I could make up some sandwiches or something and pack it and we could have lunch.”

“Or you could get it from some restaurant.”

“Or he could make it.” I giggled. “He makes amazing lasagna.”

She arched a brow in a teasing manner. “Does he now? I’m sure that’s not all he’s good at.”

I blushed some, picking up on what she was hinting at. “I told you, we’re taking things slow.”

“So, he hasn’t even kissed you yet?”

I ducked my head.

“Ooh, he has!”

“A little bit.” I held up a hand, showing a little bit with my finger and thumb.

My friend’s eyes danced with merriment. “Uh huh, I bet he can’t keep his hands off you.”

“Yes he can,” I pushed some hair from my face, hoping the pink on my cheeks faded quickly, “we’ve only kissed a few times.”

“Please tell me you’ve learned his name?” She reached and picked her wine glass back up then settled into the couch next to me again.

I laughed and closed the laptop, setting it aside. “I have. It’s Alex.”

“Alex,” she mulled it over, “I like it.”

“Me too.”

Dianna watched me a moment, sipping on her wine some before speaking. “You get this little look on your face when you talk about him.”

I blinked. “I do?”

“Yeah,” she nodded, “it’s not very noticeable, but your eyes just look a little different than they normally do.”

“Is that good or bad?” I watched her warily.

“Oh, honey, it’s a very good thing. Means there’s something there.”

I couldn’t help but smile at that. “I think there just might be.”

Dianna matched my grin with one of her own. “I think so too.

~*~*~*~*~

The middle of the night my phone rang. I fumbled in the dark, trying to locate the receiver and succeeded in knocking my clock radio off onto the floor before finally grabbing it from the nightstand.

“Hello?” My voice was thick and laced with sleep.

“Morgan?” My mother’s voice flowed through my ear.

I immediately sat up, her tone instantly waking me. Something was wrong; she wouldn’t call me in the dead of night to chat. “Mom, what’s wrong?”

“Oh, honey…it’s your grandfather….”

The way she said it made my blood run cold. “What? What happened to Poppy?”

“He had a heart attack. He’s in the emergency room.”

I felt my own heart do a flip then push up into my throat. “Oh my god…”

“I called you as soon as I could.”

I threw the covers off my legs. “Do.. are… um…what do the doctors say?”

“They haven’t been out much, we’re not sure how severe it is …but I think it’s pretty bad.” Her voice was trembling and it made my eyes tear up.

“Where’s…where’s Mimi?”

“She’s here… with your father and Grayson at the moment.”

“How… how’s she doing?”

“Worried out of her mind.”

I didn’t expect any less. “Do they… how um…” my mind was racing, “what… what do I do?”

“Well…” she took a shaky breath, “everyone is here….we’re waiting on the doctor’s. I can call you later after they see us.”

I glanced to the phone, feeling guilty for the first time about being so far away. “Do you need me to come there?”

“It would take you hours to get here. Who knows what will be going on by then, how ‘bout you just sit tight and I’ll call you as soon as I know something?”

I nodded. “I can do that.” Though I had no idea how I was going to be able to function with this weighing very heavily on my mind.

“Okay, baby. I’ll call you as soon as we find something out. Try to get some sleep…I’m sorry I woke you.”

“No, mom…it’s okay. I’d want to know something like this.”

“Mmkay, baby. I love you.”

My fingers combed through my hair and I nodded. “Love you too.” Then she was gone and I slowly hung up.

I think I was in shock; I sat there in my bed another few minutes just staring ahead into the dark. Next to me, Daisy was nuzzling my side, but I didn’t seem to notice.

My grandfather, Jameson Douglas, had always been an active, loving, engaging man and the idea of him frail and stricken with something as horrible as a heart attack brought me to tears. What if he didn’t pull through? What if it led to serious heart issues? What if they weren’t able to save him?

Those thoughts, and many more, plagued me and I sank back into the covers, tugging a pillow over my head in an attempt to block them out. The tears continued to pool in my eyes and stream down my cheeks and I was reminded of the night of Hugh’s death. Suddenly I couldn’t breathe and I threw the pillow across the room, not caring that it hit my dresser and knocked things to the floor. I scrambled from the bed and pulled on my tank top, that familiar and tight pressure in my chest.

It was closing in on me and so I did the only thing I could think of, I grabbed the phone and called Dianna.