- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'd love to hear what ya'll think about this story so far. Reviews would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to Sapphire for her thoughts.

 

 

“You look hot.”

I glanced down at myself, taking in the flirty, black skirt and purple halter with a beaded empire waistline. “Thank you.”

Dianna gave her broad grin and slipped an arm around my shoulders. “Andrew’s eyes are going to bug out when he sees you.”

A slight blush crept over my cheeks. “Maybe I should go home and change.”

“No, no, no.” She began steering me towards the doors of the restaurant. “You’re staying exactly like you are.”

“Are you sure this is such a good idea?” Knots were forming tighter and tighter in my stomach. And I suddenly didn’t want to go inside. “I can wait in the car.”

“Nonsense.” She waved away my nerves.

“Dianna…” I placed a hand on my belly. “I think I’m going to be sick.”

“You’re acting worse than a bride on her wedding day.” She got us inside Malo and greeted the maître d'.

“I can’t help it. What if he.. he turns out to be some …” I lowered my voice, “…sexist, piggish, snob?”

“He’s not.” She was brushing my nerves off with a mere flick of her fingers, like one would react having found lint on their clothing. She was treating me like lint. I frowned at that but followed along with her through the tables and to the corner booth where her husband sat with a tall, dark and handsome man.

They both rose upon our arrival and Manuel kissed his wife’s cheek before doing the same to mine. I squeezed his arm then stepped back as Dianna greeted my date. She gave him a warm hug, commenting on how his suit made his piercing blue eyes stand out so strikingly. Manuel reminded her that Andrew was my date and he was hers then tugged her into the booth with him, allowing the handsome gentleman to finally look my way.

“Um…h…hi…” the words wanted to stay stuck in my throat. He was a beautiful man; with tanned skin, boyishly handsome good looks, soft dark hair and those piercing blue eyes.

He smiled and it reached his eyes, the corners crinkling. “You must be Morgan. It’s nice to finally meet you.” And then his hands were enveloping mine. They were large and thick, but surprisingly warm, and his touch gentle.

I couldn’t help but smile. “Yes… and … you’re Andrew.”

“That’s right.” His teeth were so straight and white.

“It’s nice to meet you. Dianna talks very highly of you.”

Andrew chuckled and smoothed his suit jacket. “Likewise, I don’t believe she has stopped once since I learned about you.”

I felt my cheeks growing warm and peeked over to her, finding her smirking my way with a rather ‘I told you so’ look about her.

“Well, here…have a seat.” He motioned towards the booth and I thanked him, slipping into it and setting my purse between me and the wall. He slid next to me and I felt his arm brush mine, the fabric of his jacket tickled my bare skin and a few goosebumps rose.

“So, Dianna tells me you’re from Connecticut.” His voice was a rich baritone and it matched him perfectly.

“That’s right.”

“I spent a few summer’s in Connecticut.”

I watched him. “Really? What part?”

“Just south of Redding. My aunt and uncle lived there for about five years and for two summers I went out and helped around their farm.”

I flashed a little grin as our server came over and introduced herself as Brandi, letting us know that she would be taking care of us and wondering what we’d like to drink.

After taking the drink orders and leaving us to look over the menus, Dianna spoke up from her spot across from me. “Morgan does real estate.”

“Yes, I remember you telling me that.” Andrew gave a little nod. “You just got your license for it, correct?”

“Right. Three months ago, in fact.”

“What did you do before that?”

I gave a little shrug and flipped a page of the menu. “Some PR work.”

“PR to real estate; that’s quite a change.”

“Yeah…” I tucked some hair behind my ear. I didn’t want to give too much away and I didn’t want to get into why I moved careers. “Well, everyone needs a change every once in awhile, right?”

He must have sensed something in my voice because he dropped it and the next few minutes were spent pouring over the menu and trying to decide what we all wanted. Brandi returned with our drinks and promised to return in a little bit for our orders. Then she hurried on her way to the next table. We took another little bit before everyone was ready and our server returned, taking the orders and heading to the kitchen to turn them in.

Once she was gone, and we were all settled in the booth sipping our drinks, Dianna turned the conversation onto Andrew. “He’s from Sonoma Valley in Northern California.”

“Ooh, wine country, right?”

Andrew chuckled low and gave a little nod. “Right. My grandparents actually own a vineyard.”

My brows lifted. “A real vineyard?”

His eyes met mine. “A real vineyard.”

“Wow, that’s really neat. Do they sell their wine to different companies?”

He nodded and relaxed back into the booth. “Some they do. They also make their own.”

“I bet it’s so beautiful up there.”

“It really is. I recommend you take a trip up there sometime. It’s something everyone should see at least once in their lifetime.”

I nodded at that, looking over the table at Dianna and Manuel. “Have you two ever been up that way?”

“A few times.” Manuel Torres answered, his big, burly arm wrapped comfortably around his wife. “It’s like a whole different world compared to Southern Cali.”

I gave a little nod, imagining the clear air and miles upon miles of vineyards, with the hills and valleys and beautiful coastline. “Maybe I should have moved there.”

“We like you right where you are.” The other female replied.

I sent my friend an appreciative smile and fiddled with the straw in my glass.

“Do you like California so far?” Andrew questioned, resting his arm onto the back of the booth behind me, the fabric of his jacket giving the slightest brush against my shoulders.

“It’s a lot different than Connecticut, but I like it. I think my favorite part is the weather.”

He gave a good natured laugh and I found myself liking the way his eyes crinkled at the corners. “Yeah, those Northeastern winters could be pretty rough, huh?”

“That’s putting it mildly.” I shook my head some. “I do not miss shoveling snow or having to dress all up just to go to the mailbox.”

My date made a little face. “That’s why I only went to Connecticut in the summertime.”

“Smart move.”

He chuckled and squeezed my shoulder.

Just then the food arrived and we spent the next few minutes getting the dinners situated and busying ourselves with eating. Manuel told some story about some of the construction guys that worked for him that ended with one of them getting beamed in the shin and having to go to the ER for stitches.

I winched a little bit and Andrew shook his head. “Those guys have got to be more careful.”

“That’s exactly what I told them.”

Wiping my mouth with a napkin, I turned to Andrew. “So, Dianna tells me you and Manuel worked together?”

“That’s right.” He gave a nod and set his glass down. “One of the new office buildings downtown. Manuel had been the contractor hired and I was doing the design.”

“How long have you been in that field?”

“Since college … I love it too much to even want to do anything else.”

I smiled at that; he sounded really passionate. “Have you done a lot of buildings?”

“A few.” He took a bite of his taco and wiped his mouth before speaking again. “One in New York and a couple here. I mostly stick to houses though.”

“That’s so fascinating. You must be very creative.”

“Well, I do try to be.” He flashed a warm smile my way.

Manuel questioned him about what projects he was currently working on and the next few minutes of conversation were filled with architectural talk, something I wasn’t too familiar with. Andrew did his best to answer any questions and explain the different terms, but Dianna and I both finally gave up and fell into a discussion about a new movie that was coming out we wanted to see.

“We should all go see that next Friday.” The words blurted out before I think she realized what she was doing.

I blinked, wondering if she meant … her and me… or her, me, Manuel and Andrew.

Next to me, my date looked her way. “What movie?”

I felt a sudden panic inside. No, this was supposed to be just one date; baby steps. I sent her a discreet look, hoping she would pick up on that.

Either she was oblivious or trying to ignore me. Instead, she informed him of what movie and suggested we all go see the 9:30 and have dinner first.

Manuel said that sounded great and I could feel Andrew watching me. I met his gaze and tried to give a smile.

“Is that okay with you?” He watched me with curiosity and concern.

“Uh …” I hated being put on the spot. “Well, honestly …I don’t know.”

“Morgan…” Dianna was sending me look. It was my turn to ignore her.

“You’re um… you’re a great guy and all … but I… just don’t think I’m ready for another date that soon.”

Andrew watched me for a second longer then gave a little nod. “That’s okay. Keep it a ladies night.” He directed the last sentence over to Dianna.

She sent me a frown and I scowled in her direction.

Manuel suggested maybe another time and then changed the subject.

The rest of the dinner went smoothly despite Dianna’s disapproving looks my way every so often. I did my best to ignore them and forced myself into a pleasant conversation with Andrew about Sonoma Valley and northern Connecticut. He didn’t seem offended by what had happened and I didn’t let it bother me.

An hour later we were finally exiting the restaurant. Dianna and Manuel walked ahead of us a little ways, giving us plenty of privacy.

“I had a good time.”

I smiled. “Me too.”

“Thank you for letting me buy you dinner.”

“Well, thank you for doing so.”

He had his hands shoved into his pockets. “Would you mind if I called you sometime?”

I peeked my eyes his way, mulling that question over in my head. ’You let him go, Morgan. Hugh is gone, but you’re not. And you have to live your life. You have to be happy.’ Dianna’s words echoed in my ears and I finally nodded. “I think that would be just fine.”

Andrew slowed as we approached the Torres’ car. “Great.” He reached out and touched my arm. “I’m glad you agreed to let Dianna set us up.”

I turned and faced him, wondering if he was going to try to kiss me. He wouldn’t, would he? No… especially not in front of Manuel and Dianna. That calmed my racing heart and I returned the friendly smile he was offering. “I am too.”

“We’ll have to do it again.”

“Sometime. Yeah.”

His large hand enveloped one of mine. “I’ll give you a call soon.” Then he was brushing his lips across my cheek and I could smell his aftershave; spicy and warm.

I bade him goodnight and he pulled open the back door on the Honda Civic. I slipped into the vehicle with a ‘thank you’ and he wished Dianna and Manuel a good night, promising to be in touch with them soon. We watched as he hurried over to his own vehicle and slipped behind the wheel. Manuel shifted the Civic into drive and pulled from his spot, heading for the exit.

“So …” Dianna turned her lively eyes on me. “That was fun, huh?”

I met her gaze and gave a nod. “Yeah, he’s a nice guy.”

“How come you didn’t want to go on another date? It’s just the movies.”

“I just wanted to get through this one first. This is … hard enough as is. I … really don’t need the pressure of a second date right now.”

My friend gave a little nod. “You’re right. I’m sorry … I think I just got caught up in it. I mean, you two were hitting it off pretty well.”

I held up a hand. “It’s okay. I did tell him he could call me.”

“That’s a start.” She smiled softly and for a moment I thought she looked somewhat proud.

I felt somewhat proud too.

~*~*~*~*~

Daisy was out the door the minute I unlatched it and had it open enough for her to fit through. Poor thing had been cooped up all evening and probably had to pee something terrible. I flipped the back patio light on so she wasn’t wandering around in the dark and left the door open enough for her, then headed towards the kitchen, removing my earrings as I walked. Setting them down on the counter, my eyes darted back towards the backyard. I should probably go out there and monitor her. I didn’t need her taking off and going down to the beach at this time of night.

Before I had a chance to do just that, the cream colored phone hanging on the wall gave a shrill ring, cutting through the quiet in the house like a knife. It surprised me and I gave a jerk, grabbing it up on the second ring.

“Hello?”

“Hey, honey.”

“Mom. Hey.” The clock on the microwave said 10:15pm. That meant after 1am in Connecticut. “What’s wrong? Is dad okay?”

“Your father is just fine. He’s in his chair in the den snoring away.” Miriam Huntley’s voice flowed through the line.

I left out a relieved breath. “Why are you calling so late?”

“Well, I tried to reach you a couple hours ago and there was no answer. So I was just checking to make sure things were okay.”

I gave a little nod and lifted myself up and onto one of the barstools at the counter. “Yeah, things are fine. I was just out with Dianna and her husband.”

“Oh good.” My dear mother had been so worried when I announced the move to California, but being a good mother, she supported me. That didn’t stop her from fretting from afar and she would call often to make sure things were going well. She and my father worried, she would inform me in just about every conversation. Losing someone is never easy, but getting through it on your own must be next to impossible.

“How are you?”

“Oh, I’m managing. How is Dianna?”

“She’s good. She’ll have another book coming out next month.”

“I’ll have to check that out.”

I peeked my eyes to the phone, knowing she was waiting for me to tell her what I had been out doing, or give her an update on how I was feeling. I would do neither. “How’s daddy?”

“Oh, your father is your father. He’s taken up golf.”

“Golf? Really?” I arched a brow.

“Yes and he thinks he can practice in the den. He almost put a hole in the window.”

I chuckled low at that mental. “I’m sure you banned him to the backyard.” My parents were the couple that complained at each other so much some wondered how they stayed married. Despite all the nit picking, they remained very much in love.

“I sure did. And he looks absolutely ridiculous in his plaid golf pants and that hat.”

“He bought golf pants?”

“Yes!” I could hear the unbelievable tone in her voice. “The kind that you pull the socks up over. At least I think that’s how it goes.”

That made me laugh.

“Next he thinks he’s going to get me out there.”

I laughed more. The thought of my mother out on a golf course brought tears to my eyes. She would be hitting more grass and sod then she would the ball. Then she would get frustrated and just pluck the ball up, carry it to the hole and place it right in there.

She gave a chuckle. “I’m glad you find that thought so amusing.”

“Aww, mom…” I wiped the corners of my eyes and took a breath. “I’m sure with enough practice you would do great on a golf course.”

“Who am I kidding?” I could almost see her shaking her head. “I’ll leave the golfing to the people that can actually hit the ball.”

I laughed low and peered towards the back door; Daisy hadn’t come back in yet. Hell, she was probably cavorting with her boyfriend.

“So, you’re doing okay, Morgan? Honestly?” My mother’s voice grew serious.

I rubbed my forehead, knowing better than to lie to my own mom. “I’m … okay.”

“I worry about you.”

I could feel tears pricking my eyes. “I… I know you do.”

“I wish you would come home.”

“I… I’m making this my home, mama.”

A sigh. “Maybe your father and I will come for a visit.”

I cleared my throat and wiped under my eyes. “I think…. I need a little more time.” My words were soft.

“Morgan, you can’t keep us away forever.”

“I know…” Tears threatened my vision. I was scared though. Scared they’d come out and bring all those memories I was trying so desperately to avoid. This was a fresh start and tonight had been my first date since Hugh. I finally wanted to be happy again and my parents showing up with the ghost of Hugh was scaring me to death.

“We’re so worried.”

“I just need more time.”

“Morgan…”

“Please, mama…I just …need more time.” The words echoing throughout my head as I spoke them. That’s all…just more time.