- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So glad ya'll enjoyed that chp! LOL and I hope you enjoy this one too. Thank you for your wonderful reviews and I can't wait to find out what you think about this chp. :)

 

“Hey, kiddo, how’s it going?”

I looked up from the photos project I was working on to find my Aunt Lindsay sinking down into a chair next to mine at the dining room table. She had her long blonde hair pulled up into a funky twist and the deep blue scoop neck top she wore accentuated her sapphire eyes. Lindsay had always been model material to me, though she quickly scoffed at the idea if mentioned. For being 52, she could easily pass for mid forties despite having given birth five times; once to twins. They were a very active family that stayed in shape with hiking, bicycling and other outdoor activities. I don’t think I remember a time when any of their brood was happy unless they were moving.

“I’m okay, how are you?”

She gave a shrug and reached out for one of the pictures I had strewn on the table. “I’m okay, too.”

I nodded some and studied her a moment then glanced back to the project I had been assigned. It was my duty to look through all the family photos and make up a “Poppy” picture album to display at the dinner after the funeral. My cousin, Abigail, was the lucky one who had been chosen to go through the different mementos of his life and make up a display of things that people might be interested in viewing. She was at his place doing just that and I was camped out at my parents’ house, trying to stay out of the way.

It was Sunday and we had the first visitation in a few hours. I was trying to gear myself up for it, already knowing it was going to be hard to see my parents and Mimi in the condition they were in, not to mention, having to deal with my own grief. But emotionally, I felt quite a bit better than I did two days ago. Even yesterday. And 99.9% of that was due to Alex.

After we had made love and had that little talk, we had made love again then showered together and did it once more. Alex was insatiable and the things he did to me, the things he evoked in me broke me apart each time. It was like I couldn’t get enough of him; the way his body moved with mine, the feel of his hands exploring, his mouth tasting and those intense eyes watching me with a look of raw passion. I finally had to force myself to leave and got back to the Huntley residence close to midnight. Luckily, the house had been silent and I slipped up and into my bedroom unnoticed. I don’t think my mom even knew I was home until I joined everyone at breakfast. I know they were all wondering where I had been all day, but so far they’d kept the questions to themselves. Though I had a feeling Lindsay was going to be the first to break that.

“We missed you yesterday.” Score one for me.

“Yeah, I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to visit with you, yet.”

“That’s alright.” She reached over and gave my shoulder a squeeze. “We have all week.”

I turned my gaze back to her. “How long are you guys going to be staying?”

“Claude and the kids until Saturday, but I’ll probably stay a few more weeks or so. Your mom, Spencer and I have to help Mom go through Dad’s things and sort through his business matters.”

“Yeah,” I gave a nod, “there’s a lot to do.” I remembered all too well the kind of legal things that needed to be done when someone passed away. Could take a month or more to tie up any loose ends.

She looked at a few of the photos then gave a sigh. “He was a good man, I’m really gonna miss him.”

“Me too.”

“Makes me wish I lived here again, so I could be closer and see them more.”

I gave a little nod. “I know how you feel.”

Her azure eyes studied me a moment. “Yeah, I imagine you do.”

“Yeah.” I blinked back a few tears and returned to the matter at hand.

“So, how’s California treating you?”

“Actually, really good. I work at this great real estate company and the ocean is literally my backyard and the weather is gorgeous.”

“I bet it is. California’s always been so nice.”

I gave a little nod then changed the subject before she could question me more, “How’s Germany?”

“It’s wonderful,” the grin on her face showed she meant every word.

I smiled. “I’m really glad you like it. Everyone here misses you guys though.”

“Yeah, they’ve been telling me that for twenty years.”

I giggled low. “And they’ll keep doing it for another twenty.”

“Probably, because I don’t have any plans to move back here. Germany’s my home now.”

“Oh, of course.” I nodded in agreement. “And we all know that and are okay with it.”

“Yeah.” She smiled then leaned her elbow on the table and propped her chin in it. “So, any boys yet?”

I blinked and quickly glanced at her. “What?

Lindsay gave a simple shrug. “You’re a beautiful, young woman living in a place that probably has more hot guys than this entire state. There has to be some guy somewhere in the picture.”

I chuckled and busied myself with the pictures. “Connecticut has a lot of hot guys.”

“Unless it’s changed since I’ve lived here, not really.”

“And that’s why you had to go all the way to Germany to find one, right?”

“Exactly; you finally understand.”

I chuckled and gave a little nod then began to slip the pictures behind the clear plastic that would keep them in place.

“So, any boys?”

She just wasn’t giving up. I gave a little shrug and kept my eyes trained on my task. “Of course there’s boys. I work with boys, a few of my neighbors are boys, my mailman is a boy.”

“Any you’re romantically involved with?”

I chuckled and chanced a glance her way; she looked rather amused. “You’re just a curious little cat, aren’t you?”

A teasing smirk tugged at her lips. “I can be. Now spill, I know you’re hiding something. I have too many kids to not know when someone is being evasive.”

“I’m not hiding anything.”

“You so very well are.”

“No, I’m not.”

“I think you are.”

I gave a low laugh and shook my head some, still not meeting her gaze. Instead, I continued to fill the album with different photos of my grandfather and his life. “We sound like a couple of children.”

“This conversation could be over by now if you’d just answer my question.”

Finally, I met her eyes and bit my bottom lip, just studying her for a moment. “Promise you won’t say anything to anyone? I… um… I’m really not ready for anyone to know yet, not even you.”

Lindsay’s brows rose slightly at that and she leaned forward, crossing her finger over her chest above her heart. “Cross my heart.”

“Okay,” I finally relented and glanced around to make sure we weren’t being overheard. The coast was clear. Wetting my bottom lip, I turned back to face my aunt and leaned forward some. “So, um… I kind of met someone. It’s….” I mulled over how to explain this, “well, we’re taking it slow.”

“Really?” She got a little grin, her eyes dancing with merriment. “That’s really great, Morgan. I’m thrilled for you.”

I couldn’t help the blush that slowly crept up onto my cheeks. “Thank you.”

She gave a little nod then rested her chin back in her hand, her elbow back on the table. “Are you happy?”

I tilted my head some and thought on that. “I’m getting there.”

“Good, honey. You know that’s all we want; for you to be happy again.”

I studied her face, giving a little nod with my head. “I know.”

She smiled then reached over and ruffled my hair. “Good, you deserve it.” Then she stood and placed an endearing kiss to the top of my head. “I’ll letcha get back to work.”

“Okay.” I hunched back over the table and resumed the project I had been assigned, Lindsay wandering off to be of use somewhere else.

I had just finished the first album and was separating the pictures for the second one, when my mother sank down into the same chair my aunt had vacated earlier.

“How’s it going?” She questioned as she peered over my arm to the work I was doing.

“It’s good.” I nudged the first picture album towards her. “I’m done with that one. It’s all the pictures we have from his childhood up until you and your siblings were married. This next one is going to be his life with his grandchildren and you guys as adults.”

“Oh, Morgan, this is wonderful,” she exclaimed as she flipped through the finished album, pausing to savor a few of the photos and relish in the memories they stirred up.

I smiled and watched her for a moment, feeling my eyes growing wet. “I hope everyone enjoys them.”

“They will, baby.” She reached out and took my hand, giving it a loving squeeze. “Thank you, this really means a lot to me, to your grandmother and aunt and uncle.”

I returned the heartfelt squeeze. “I know it does and I’m happy I could help.”

She smiled and released my hand, looking over the different pictures still strewn about on the table. “Lot of crazy memories.”

“Yeah, there are.” I laughed low and located one I had found earlier. “Check this one out.”

My mom took it from my outstretched hand and studied it, a laugh slipping from between her lips. “I thought he was going to kill us once he woke up.” She was referring to a picture of my grandfather napping on the sofa with a baby rattle tucked into one hand, a pacifier placed into his mouth and a bib resting on his chest.

I giggled lowly. “Whose idea was that?”

“Mine.” She laughed again and shook her head. “It was just after Grayson was born and your father and I had our first date night. Mimi and Poppy babysat and when we returned home, your grandpa was zonked out. So we dressed him up and took the pic.”

I giggled and shook my head some. “Did he wake from the flash?”

“Of course,” she laughed more, her shoulders jerking some because of it, “but he wasn’t mad. He just laughed and told us to save him a copy of the photo.”

“He had such a great sense of humor.”

She sighed and set the picture back down where I’d taken it from. “He really did.”

A silence fell over us as I continued my task and my mother observed. It was a comfortable silence, not one that you were racking your brain to something to talk about, but one where you could just relax and know the other person felt the same way.

After a few minutes, she spoke again, “You seem to be in better spirits today.”

My eyes drifted over to her then back to the album. “What do you mean?”

She shrugged. “You seem lighter, not as tense or on edge.”

My mind immediately went to the previous night and to what had transpired between Alex and myself. The sex hadn’t just brought us closer and filled our souls; it had released a lot of the tension and stress I had been dealing with for the past two years. And I hadn’t even considered the aftermath or that it would come across to others around me. But I wasn’t about to tell my mother that. “Oh,” I gave a simple shrug, “I dunno. I think getting away from everything for a day really helped.”

She didn’t respond right away and when she did, her voice held a knowing tone, “You don’t want to tell me who you were with yesterday, do you?”

I hesitated in placing the photo into the album, but just for a moment. “What do you mean?”

“Exactly what I said; there’s something going on and you don’t want me to know.” She didn’t sound upset or annoyed by it, so that was a good thing.

I finally looked at her, feeling incredibly guilty for wanting to hide something from my own mother. It was on the tip of my tongue to tell her there wasn’t anything going on, but I couldn’t lie to her. And when she did meet Alex, in a day or so, she’d know there was and the last thing I wanted to do was upset her more than she already was. But telling her about my safe haven, the one place I felt truly at peace I wasn’t sure I could do, quite yet.

“Mom,” I gave a little sigh and set down the photos in my hands, “there are a few things I’m going to need you to just trust me on. I’m not trying to hide anything from you, but I’m just not ready to tell you about it. So, I need you to just trust me and know that I’m okay, really.”

She gave a little nod, uncertainness flickering in her eyes. “Okay, baby.”

I offered up a reassuring smile. “And when it feels right, I’ll tell you. Okay? I promise.”

“I do trust you, Morgan. And while you have me thoroughly confused and quite curious, I can wait however long you need it to be.”

That made me feel a lot better and I leaned over, placing a kiss to her cheek. “Thank you, Mama.”

She smiled and brushed her fingers through my hair, pushing it from my forehead. “Anything for you, baby.”

~*~*~*~*~

The visitation started promptly at six. Immediate family had arrived at five and been allowed some time with each other and the body before it was open to the public. It had been an emotional hour, each one of us getting a few moments to say our final goodbyes and shed more tears. And then others family and friends began arriving and the whole process started again.

I was seated in a chair against the far well, dressed in a simple black dress that hung mid thigh. It was funeral appropriate, but still something I could wear to a dinner out. Dianna had helped me pack my belongings before I’d left and I was thankful because I would never have packed thinking I’d be attending a funeral. As people milled about around me, talking and reminiscing, crying and hugging, my eyes wandered around at the different floral arrangements that had been sent from different people saddened by the loss of my grandfather. Surprisingly, my coworkers had pitched in and a beautiful bouquet of daisies and peonies, carnations and gardenias was delivered. Dianna and Manuel had also had one ordered; roses with chrysanthemums sprinkled with baby’s breath. And there in the corner sat one from Alex; a beautiful display of yellow and white daisies that held much more a meaning than any of the other arrangements in the room. It was beautiful and I suddenly wished I’d told him to come tonight instead of just attending the funeral.

“Morgan! Gosh, it’s good to see you!”

I was pulled from my thoughts by a voice I instantly recognized as my Great Aunt Edda’s; my grandfather’s youngest sister and now the only living sibling. “Hey, Aunt Edda,” I greeted her, rising to my feet and allowing her to envelope me into a tight hug.

She was a big woman with thick, powerful arms and a strong build. She towered over me at nearly six feet tall and had a head full of hair as black as a moonless night. Her eyes were the same emerald green color as my poppy’s and they shared the same nose and jovial smile. Growing up and living on a farm her whole life had kept her in shape with lean muscles and given her a strong character. She hardly looked her age, but instead appeared ten years younger. And from the hold she had on me, I knew she hadn’t lost any of that strength, or even come close.

“How are you holding up, dear?” She finally questioned after she released me and allowed the air to come back into my lungs.

I gave a half shrug-half nod and took a step back to put a little space between us. “I’m okay. How are you doing?”

“I’m alright. He lived a long and wonderful life so that helps ease the hurt some.”

“That’s very true.”

She gave a nod and then surveyed me, placing her hands on her hips. “You look great, Morgan. California’s really been treating you well, huh?”

I blushed just a tiny bit at her scrutiny. “Yeah, I like it out there.”

“I can tell. You really have a spark about you.”

“Really?” I lifted my brows.

“Oh yeah, you have a look in your eyes and this glow just radiating from you.”

I felt my stomach do a flip; a look in my eyes and a glow radiating? I had a feeling it didn’t have anything to do with California. “Oh, um, well, thank you.”

“You’re welcome, darling.” She reached out and pinched my cheek.

I asked her how the farm was going and we made small talk until she spotted one of her cousins and excused herself to go greet them.

I was grateful and sank back into the chair. Fiddling with the tissue in my hands, I observed the people around me, trying to place names and remember who the ones I wasn’t too familiar with were. I recognized a few more relatives and some people from my dad’s office and realized there were quite a few people I didn’t know.

My mom waved at me from the other side of the room, motioning me to join her and I rose to my feet, smoothing my dress some and crossing over to join her and the group she was with. And then suddenly I was in the middle of a barrage of questions as people began asking me about California and what I did out there, how I was holding up, handling things with losing my grandfather, if I regretted moving, if I wanted to come back, how long I was here for, that they were sorry once more about Hugh. My mom tried to field the questions until she was pulled aside by her brother over something and I was alone.

This was exactly what I didn’t want to have happen. I did my best to keep my cool and answer them, but a slow panic was starting to spread up through my chest and I realized I had to get away before I screamed. Uttering some kind of apology, I finally broke from the crowd and headed for the doors that would take me outside. I felt like I couldn’t breathe and was hoping the fresh air would help.

I made it outside, unnoticed, and let the doors shut behind me, cutting off the noises of chatter. The cool evening air greeted me and I shivered some…rubbing my upper arms and heading down the steps and away from the building. It was probably close to seven and the sun was starting to head towards the horizon, but probably wouldn’t go down for another hour. Overhead, the sky was clear and I smiled some at the streaks of gold that highlighted the blue.

It was nice to get away from everything inside and the silence around me felt like heaven to the constant murmurs and voices from the funeral home. Tomorrow was yet another visitation and then there’d be a day’s break and the funeral on Wednesday. I would probably try to head back to California on Friday. I had a life I needed to get back too. I missed my dog something awful and though I was dreading returning to work and facing the sympathy of my coworkers, it was something I needed to do. I really wanted to get back to my routine.

Stepping off the main walkway, I followed the path that would take me around to the side of the building. The funeral home had been fashioned from an old colonial type house and the yard was probably the best feature. Trees and shrubs and flowers dotted the lush green grass and if you didn’t see the sign out front advertising the business, one might think that a family lived here. No one would suspect that this cheery yard and well maintained home was actually the place for the undead and their loved ones to bid adieu.

Spotting a porch swing nestled on the porch there at the side of the house; I climbed the steps then sank down onto it. From here I could see out to the side street the house sat against. Cars were lined against the curb and I knew most of them were inside the home while a few probably belonged to the houses that lined the residential street.

I lost track of how long I saw there, letting the swing gently glide back and forth. It could have been just a few minutes or an hour might have slipped by. I had no idea. But when a figure emerged from around the side of the house and into my line of sight, I was pulled out of my reverie and blinked, sitting up straighter and staring in complete shock at the person standing at the bottom step.

Andrew.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Uh oh, Andrew's in town. Whatcha think is gonna happen?