- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you again for all the wonderful reviews. You guys really make me feel humble and giddy. I'm glad you're enjoying the fic and hope you'll continue to. As always, I can't wait to find out what you think about this next chp. Enjoy! :)

 

The swing stopped in mid air as my foot hit the ground and I gaped at the man standing before me.

Andrew wet his bottom lip and fiddled with the designer sunglasses in his hands. “Hey.”

“Wha…” my mind was reeling, “what… what are you doing here?”

“I um…thought you might need a friend.” He looked so nervous and worried and it made my heart go out to him.

I still wasn’t sure what to say, however, and stumbled over my words, “You, um…you.. you didn’t have to come all the way out here.”

“I know,” he took the steps up onto the porch, “but you were just so upset the other day and I wanted to be here and offer any support.”

I wet my bottom lip. “That… that’s really sweet of you, but … I’m okay.”

He sank down on the bench next to me. “I just wanted to make sure, for myself.”

“How.. did you find out where I was?”

“Google maps. I remembered you told me Coventry is where you grew up, so I looked it up then checked the obits for where your grandfather’s visitation was.”

I chuckled low at the lengths he had gone through to locate me. “You could have just called me. I woulda told you where it was.”

I know,” he settled back into the swing and pushed us to start rocking again, “but I wanted to surprise you.”

I studied him a moment and then blinked. “Have you been inside?” The last thing I needed was everyone to meet Andrew before I had a chance to explain he was just a friend.

He shook his head then hooked his sunglasses on the collar of his navy blue polo shirt. “No, I saw you sitting here as I got out of the car.” He nodded in the direction of his vehicle.

I looked towards his car then back to him. “Oh, okay.”

“Yeah.” He watched me a moment before speaking again, “You need some fresh air?”

“Yeah, I thought it would do me good to take a little break.”

“Probably, things in there can get pretty emotional, I’m sure.”

“Ain’t that the truth.”

Andrew chuckled and settled back in the swing, his eyes trained on me. “You look beautiful.”

“Oh,” I glanced down to myself, feeling a slight blush creeping up on my cheeks, “thank you.”

“You should wear black more often; it’s a good color on you.” His hand reached out and touched my shoulder.

“Um, thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” He hesitated a moment. “Have you given any more thought to what we were talking about the other day?”

I wet my bottom lip, feeling a slight twinge in my stomach. “Um…which thing?”

“About having another date.”

“Oh.” Great, what was I supposed to say to that? Taking a little breath, I decided the best thing was to just be honest. “Andrew, listen-”

“Morgan, there you are!”

I glanced over at the new voice and found my Aunt Lindsay climbing the steps of the porch.

Upon seeing Andrew beside me, her lips formed a little ‘oh’. “I…didn’t realize you had…company.” She looked the newcomer over and then her eyes met mine and she winked.

Oh no, I sat up a little straighter. She thought Andrew was the guy I had told her about earlier. But before I could quickly amend her thoughts, Andrew stood from the porch and introduced himself.

“I’m Andrew Holden.”

Lindsay shook his hand, a small grin falling over her features. “Lindsay Schellden, Morgan’s aunt. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise.” He flashed his most charming smile. “You don’t look old enough to be Morgan’s aunt.”

Flattery, just great. I groaned in my head and stood as well.

“Oh, you are such the charmer.” She giggled softly then finally released his hand. “I’ve heard some good things about you.” She wrapped her arm around my shoulders and gave me a squeeze. “I’m so thankful that you’re making my niece, here, happy again.”

Andrew looked at me and I could see surprise in his eyes which faded into warmth and he grinned ear to ear. “I’m doing what I can.”

I wanted to bang my head against the siding of the funeral home. This was not good at all. Lindsay thought Andrew was the guy I was talking about and now Andrew thought I was talking about him and, despite having reservations, was very much interested. I felt like I was sinking into quicksand and there was no one around to save me. Could this day get any worse?

Just then, Lindsay took hold of his arm. “Come, you’ve got to come inside and meet everyone.”

My eyes stretched. “Lindsay!” She had promised not to utter a word. But I guess she figured since I had brought him around, I had changed my mind.

“Oh, you too, Morgan, Mimi has been asking where you ran off to.” Then she proceeded in leading Andrew off the porch and back around to the front of the funeral home.

With a heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach, I begrudgingly followed behind them, trying to rack my brain with a way to get out of this situation and not make it any worse than it was quickly becoming.

But I didn’t come up with a plan before we were back inside the home, moving amongst the family and friends and heading right for my parents and grandmother. The only thing I could think to be grateful for was that Alex wasn’t here.

“Morgan, darling, there you are.” My grandmother reached for my hand as we joined the group.

I gave a little nod. “Yeah, I’m right here.”

“We hoped you hadn’t run off somewhere,” my father joked before his eyes landed on Andrew and he lifted a brow.

“She might have had I not found her when I had,” Lindsay teased, ignoring the warning look I shot her.

“Well, aren’t you a handsome young man,” my grandmother spoke up as Andrew caught her attention as well. “What’s your name, dear?”

“Andrew Holden,” he reached and took my mimi’s hand, holding it gently with both of his, “and it’s too bad we had to meet this way; I’m so sorry for your loss.”

“Thank you. I’m Sophie, but everyone calls me Mimi.”

He squeezed her hand then let it go and turned to my mother, taking hers and brushing his lips over the back of it. “And you must be Morgan’s older sister.”

I had to control myself so I didn’t roll my eyes at his cheesiness.

But my mom was eating it up. She gave a soft laugh and her cheeks tinged a slight pink. “Why, thank you … I am.”

Beside her, my dad chuckled and slipped his arm around her waist. “Flattery will get you everywhere with my wife.” Then he reached for Andrew’s hand, giving it a firm shake. “I’m Neil and this is Miriam; we’re Morgan’s parents.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Andrew returned the firm handshake before releasing my father’s hand.

“So, where are you from, Andrew?” My grandmother questioned with a piqued interest.

“Well, California. I’m just out here in business in New York and after finding out what happened,” his eyes shifted to me then back to them, “I wanted to come pay my respects and support Morgan.”

“Morgan!” My grandmother spoke in a loud whisper. “Why haven’t you told us you had a gentleman caller?”

I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me whole. I was appalled that Andrew was leading my family to believe we were a couple and embarrassed at the situation it was now presenting to my parents. “Um…well, actually-”

“She’s wanting to take things slow,” Andrew interrupted me.

I bit back a frustrated scream.

“We understand,” my mother’s voice was sympathetic and she sent me an understanding smile. “But, we’re so glad to meet you. I was just telling my daughter today that she seemed to be in better spirits.”

Andrew’s eyes met mine and I saw a grin tugging at the corners of his mouth. “Well, I’m just glad to help. You have a wonderful daughter and I only hope once we’re both back in Los Angeles, that I can take her up to wine country to meet my family.”

“Ooh, wine country?” Mimi’s eyes widened and she slipped her arm through his. “That sounds absolutely breathtaking.”

How had this situation gone so terribly wrong so quickly? And each passing second grew even worse than the last. I needed to remedy it without embarrassing anyone and still saving face. Wetting my bottom lip, I took a step forward and spoke up, “Um, actually, I was wondering if I might be able to talk to Andrew for a moment.”

“Oh, dear, you have all night to talk to him.” My grandmother waved my request off. “Now,” she smiled warmly at him and I knew she was already enthralled with his handsome features and professional demeanor, “come and tell me more about this wine country. You know, I’m going to be traveling out to visit Morgan in a few months and I would love to take a trip north to see the vineyards,” her voice began to fade as she led him off to a quieter place so they could converse.

I watched them go with a sour feeling in my stomach. Why was this happening to me? And how was I supposed to get out of it? Things could only get worse now that they’d met and taken to him so well. I could already see images of him being invited to the dinner after the funeral and over to the house later tonight. Clenching my hands into fists, I turned to my parents, my aunt being called off by one of her children.

“He’s a nice young man.” My mother smiled and touched my cheek. “I’m glad you decided to bring him here.”

My father nodded his head and watched me with a concerned expression. “What does he do?”

“Uh.. he’s an architect and actually…” I nervously fiddled with my dress, “we’re um… we’re-”

But my words were cut off when a group of newcomers joined us and began giving their regards to my parents. I was nudged aside and gave a sigh of defeat when they were quickly caught up in conversations with the mourners.

Turning from them, I wove my way through the room, moving amongst the crowd and heading back for the doors. This time, I exited through a side door and once outside, dropped down onto the stoop. I was just going to have to wait until things calmed down and Andrew was on his way back to the city before telling them what was really going on. They’d be confused, and my grandmother would be disappointed, but I couldn’t just lead them to believe something that wasn’t true.

And then there was Andrew. I needed to figure out what I was going to tell him. He obviously thought I had been talking about him to my family and that he was the reason for my sudden change in attitude. And when I let him down easy and explained that he wasn’t, he was going to wonder who was. I was going to have to tell him about Alex sooner or later if we intended on staying friends. After tonight, I was sure he was going to take it worse than he would have before. Drats! I knew I should have just told him what was going on at the restaurant. The hole I had dug myself was quickly filling in on me. When had my life gotten so complicated?

~*~*~*~*~

“So, tell us how you two met?”

I glanced from my father over to Andrew and gave an inward groan. Just as I had suspected, Andrew had indeed been invited back to the house afterward. And now, he sat amongst my family conversing and having a grand ol’ time as if this all was second nature to him. My family absolutely loved him and it showed as they monopolized his time. I had hardly been given an opportunity to pull him aside and speak with him to explain everything. Nor did I have a chance to tell my parents or grandmother what the real deal was.

My grandmother wouldn’t stop gushing about him when we had been in the kitchen preparing drinks and some snacks. Telling me he was wonderful and charming and so handsome. She hugged me tight and said how glad she was I was moving on with my life, declaring she could sleep a little better at night now. I didn’t have it in me to spoil her mood, or make things awkward for anyone, so I just let it go. Which probably was a mistake, but I was going to absolutely correct things once he was on his way and I was alone with my family.

“No kidding, a blind date, huh?” My aunt chuckled and shook her head after Andrew explained how a mutual friend had set us up.

“I knew the instant I saw her she was something special.” He flashed a warm grin my way then reached and squeezed my knee.

“That is just so sweet,” my grandmother gushed from her spot in the oversized armchair. “Morgan, Andrew had promised to take us out on his sailboat when I come visit.”

“Oh yeah?” I glanced over to the man next to me, slowly slipping his hand off my leg.

“Definitely,” he grinned then reached for my knee again, holding it a little firmer this time, “and we’ll take her up to Sonoma Valley.”

I could feel the situation starting to snowball and tried to rack my brain with a way to correct everything and not embarrass anyone.

“Morgan tells us you’re an architect.”

Around me the conversation continued as my loved ones chatted and tried to get to know Andrew better. He was eating it up and had them in stitches as he relayed some story that happened to him last week. I glanced around at their faces and could just tell how captivated they were by this man. My grandmother loved him, my father found out they shared a passion for golf and my mother was impressed with his charm and manners. My younger cousins thought he was hot and I could already see my aunt with wedding bells in her eyes when she looked at us.

“How long are you in town for?” My father’s question pulled my attention back to the conversation and I felt a sudden panic start in my chest. I could just feel what was coming next.

“Um,” Andrew glanced at me and squeezed my knee again, “I’m not sure, actually. I hadn’t really planned anything out.”

“Well, you most certainly have to stay for a few days,” my grandmother injected.

“We can hit up the golf course in the morning,” my dad suggested as he nodded in agreement with his mother-in-law.

Andrew glanced around at my family, a warm smile spreading over his face. “That’d be great. I just have to find a hotel.”

“That is not necessary.” My mother shook her head. “You are going to stay right here. We have plenty of room.”

“Oh, I couldn’t be a bother.”

“You are no bother,” she spoke firmly in a tone that you knew not to reckon with.

I was in trouble and knew I needed to just forget making things awkward and fix the situation. “Um, actually,” I spoke up, interrupting as Andrew relented and agreed to stay with us.

For once, all heads turned my way.

I wet my bottom lip and glanced from Andrew back to my parents. “Andrew and I are-“

“Morgan!” My cousin’s excited squeal interrupted me as Gina rushed into the room, her dark curls bobbing and her big green eyes wide with glee.

I blinked. “What?”

“You know the Backstreet Boys?!”

I frowned. “What? No, I don’t know any….” Then my voice trailed off when it hit me and my eyes widened in surprise. Oh no, no no no, no, this couldn’t be happening.

“Gina? What’s going on?” My uncle Spencer questioned his youngest daughter.

Gina laughed with delight, barely being able to contain the excitement that was flooding through her. “Yes, you do!” She ignored her father. “I was coming in from taking the trash to the curb and I saw this guy in the yard. He was throwing rocks at Morgan’s window,” she began rattling off her tale in a fast pace, “so I went over to find out what was going on and…” her eyes danced, “I saw it was AJ McLean! AJ freaking McLean was in your yard throwing rocks at your window!” She pointed at me.

I could feel my heart starting to slide down into my stomach. “Wh…where… is… is he?”

No one seemed to notice the panic in my voice, they were too caught up in Gina’s excitement and on whom this newcomer throwing rocks at the house was.

Gina laughed and clapped her hands. “Right here!” Then she disappeared into the foyer and reappeared again, tugging Alex in behind her.

My heart was now in my toes and I frantically tried to push Andrew’s hand from my knee. Alex wore a pair of dark jeans, a studded belt and plain black tee. A dark ballcap was pulled low on his head and despite the shadow over his face; I could tell his cheeks were flushed with embarrassment.

For a moment, no one spoke. I think they were too confused by what was happening to make sense of the situation.

My grandmother was the one to break the silence, “My goodness, young man, aren’t you all decorated.” Her clear eyes were trained on his tattooed arms and I couldn’t tell if she was appalled or just shocked.

He shifted nervously on his feet and shook his arm from Gina’s grasp. His eyes sought out mine and then traveled down to where Andrew was still holding to my knee like it belonged to him. I saw a flicker of something pass through them and he shoved his hands into his pant pockets.

I felt sick to my stomach, like I was going to throw up any minute. Forcefully, I pushed Andrew’s hand from my leg and shot to my feet. “Alex.”

“Morgan,” He nodded his head at me, his tone even and emotionless. Taking in the occupants of the room, he hunched his shoulders. “I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

“You’re not interrupting!” My newly turned 21 year old cousin quickly injected.

“Are you a friend of Morgan’s?” My mother was looking between us with a confused expression.

Alex turned his mesmerizing eyes on me then let them drift to Andrew. “Yeah, something like that,” he finally spoke after a moment. Then he was backing from the room. “I’m sorry to um…interrupt your evening. I’ll let myself out.”

His eyes met mine once more before he disappeared from view and all sets of eyes turned back to me.

I hesitated, not even sure if I could move. That last look he had cast my way was making my heart crumble; he had looked crushed, like I had taken his heart out and stomped on it. I felt rooted to my spot, waves of nausea starting in my stomach and trying to take over my body. But the instant I heard the front door shutting firmly, something inside me snapped and I bolted from the room.

“Morgan!” I heard my father call after me.

But I ignored him. I only had one thing on my mind and I needed to get to him before he was out of my life for good.