- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here is your long awaited chapter. Sorry it's so late, but life gets in the way sometimes, you know. I want to say thank you to those who still read this and thanks to those who give me that much appreciated feedback. I hope you all enjoy this chapter and I can't wait to find out what you think about it. Hehe. :)

 

The airport was busting with people as I stood at the baggage claim waiting for Alex’s mom, Denise, to show up. Her plane had landed about 20 minutes ago and they had just posted what baggage turntable the luggage would be coming out on. Inside, I was a ball of nerves, my stomach was fluttering with butterflies and my palms were clammy. I wanted this woman to like me and to accept me into her life with her son. I knew they were close and I knew that he valued her opinion greatly, so this had to go well for me.

This must have been what Alex felt like just before meeting my parents, I thought to myself as I scanned the crowds that headed into the baggage area. I know he had been nervous, but I wondered if he had been as nervous as I was. Probably so, or maybe even more, considering he was meeting most my family. I could do this for him; he’d done it for me.

“You must be Morgan.”

I turned at the voice to find a shorter, slightly plump woman with glasses and brilliant red hair standing before me. Denise McLean Solis; and she looked exactly like the photo Alex had showed me.

“Yes, hi.” I shifted my purse on my shoulder and held my hand out, feeling my heart knocking against my chest.

“It’s so good to finally meet you.” She ignored my hand and pulled me in for a hug. “Alex has told me so much about you.”

“He’s told me about you as well,” I spoke once she had released me. “He’s really looking forward to your visit.”

“Of course he is.” She flashed a broad smile then slipped her arm through mine. “And I appreciate you picking me up. It’s unfortunate he couldn’t be here as well.”

“Yeah, he totally forgot about Bernie’s appointment until Friday night.”

“That poor pooch.” She shook her head in a sympathetic manner. “I do hope he’ll be alright.”

“The doctors seem to think so.” I watched as the turnabout began to start up and suitcases began coming from behind the flap.

“Alex has been through so much, he doesn’t need to deal with a dying dog.”

“I know, I feel horrible for him.” I gave a little pout then looked to the moving belt. “What do your bags look like?”

“They’re red and there’s two of them.”

I gave a little nod and watched for her suitcases. A few moments later they came rolling by and we grabbed them off the turntable and headed for the parking garage. I had opted to take Alex’s SUV, letting him take my Saturn to the vet. I had gotten it back from the repair shop that morning, Alex insisting that I allow him to pay for it. Against my better judgment, I did, vowing that I would pay him back.

“So, Alex let you drive his Cayman,” Denise voiced as we headed from the parking garage and for the ticket booth.

I pulled the parking ticket from the visor. “I’ve been driving it since someone slashed the tires on my car.”

“Alex told me about that. That’s absolutely horrible.” She shook her head. “Do they have any idea who it might have been?”

“Not a clue. The parking lot surveillance camera wasn’t working so there’s no tape and of course, no one saw anything.”

She tsked. “Such a shame.”

“Tell me about it.” I slowed for the ticket booth and lowered the window, handing the man the ticket and the requested amount of money. He gave me some change and then I headed off and away from the airport.

“My son tells me you’re in real estate,” Denise spoke as we headed for the freeway.

“I am.”

“How long have you been doing that?”

“Almost two years.” I glanced over to her then back to the road.

“And before that you were in advertising?”

“Right, then I moved out here and changed professions.”

She watched the road ahead of us. “That’s interesting. Which do you like better?”

I wasn’t sure what to make of her comment, but brushed it aside. “The real estate. I think I’m much better at it then I ever was at advertising.”

“Alex says you do a good job at it. He was telling me about the contest to Hawaii and that you’re one of the top ones.”

I glanced at her. “He was?” Just how much about me did he tell his mom?

“Mmhmm. He’s pretty proud of you.” She looked to me and lifted a brow.

We exchanged glances and I looked ahead of me again. “He is?” While I knew he was proud of me for some things, like overcoming my grief and getting on with my life, I guess I’d never considered he’d be proud of me in my work and the success that came with it.

“He really cares about you. I can tell he’s very invested in the relationship.”

That made me smile and a warm feeling grow inside of me. “I’m pretty invested in it, too.”

She smiled at that. “I’m glad, because I’d hate for him to be more invested and have his heart broken.”

I could hear the slight chill to her tone and it sent a shiver down my spine. Merging lanes onto the freeway, I glanced to her then back to the road. “I’m not going to break his heart, Mrs. Solis.”

“Please, call me Denise.”

“Denise.”

“Well I sure hope not. My son has had his heart broken more times than I can even count. He doesn’t deserve it again and it’s not going to happen again.”

Rarr, talk about a mama bear. “Well, I haven’t had the easiest with relationships either.”

“I think your situation is completely different.”

I glanced to her. “I think we both have been hurt.”

She gave a little nod. “As long as he’s not hurt again.”

My fingers tightened on the steering wheel. Did this woman seriously think I was going to hurt her son? I had to remind myself that she was just being like any other mother and concerned about her child’s wellbeing.

She gave a little sigh, probably noticing the way my jaw had tightened. “I’m not trying to be mean, but I just worry about him. He’s not made the best of decisions in his past and he doesn’t have the best taste in women either. Not that you’re like the other women he’s dated in the past,” She quickly added.

I gave a little shrug, trying not to let her words bother me. “I know that he has had problems in relationships in the past, we’ve talked about it.” I looked to her at that, wanting to
smirk. “And I am very different then the other women.”

“How so?”

“Well, for one, I don’t want to be famous. And I don’t want to use him for his money, or his fame.”

She watched me warily. “That’s a start.”

I took the exit that’d take us to his neighborhood and gave a sigh, wondering if I really needed to prove myself to this woman. “I’m not shallow or superficial, I don’t cohort with his fans and I don’t go online looking for information.”

“Those are very good things.”

For an instant, part of me wondered if Alex had set it up so I would have to be the one picking his mom up and forcing us into this one on one conversation. But then I thought there’s no way he’d do something like that. I had to give him the benefit of the doubt until I could get him alone and question him. Lord knows I had every intention of doing that.

“How serious are you about my son?”

Her question pulled me from my thoughts and I glanced to her again. “We’re very serious.”

“I know that he was talking about moving in together.”

Damnit, how much did Alex tell his mother? There were some things you were just not supposed to discuss with your parents, no matter how close you were. “Um, we had discussed it.”

She gave a little nod, watching me. “Alex and I are very close, he tells me everything.”

“Yes, I’m learning that.”

“Does that bother you?”

I slowed for a red light and met her gaze. “Honestly, a little bit. There are some things that should just be between the two people in the relationship, not between them and their parents, or even their friends.”

Denise gave a little nod like she understood. “I agree with that to a degree. Alex has had a very difficult life and he’s struggled with things, more things than a normal person should or has. I’m the only constant in his life and the only one he’s ever been able to fully trust.”

I looked to her. “Well, he has me now.”

“Yes, but for how long?”

I blinked, my brows lifting. “Excuse me?”

“None of my son’s relationships ever work out.”

“And what’s to say ours won’t.”

“History has a way of repeating itself.”

“Mrs. Solis,” I began, and she didn’t correct me with the name, “with all due respect, I really think you need to give your son a lot more credit and have a little more faith in him.” Did Alex know his mother thought this way? Maybe there was one specific reason none of his previous relationships had worked out and she was sitting two feet away from me.

“Do not tell me what I need to do for my son.” Her words were sharp.

I wet my bottom lip and started through the intersection when the light turned green. “I’m sorry, I don’t mean any disrespect by it, but not every relationship is the same and ours is certainly different than any he’s had in the past.”

She watched me then turned to face the front window. “You’re right. What do I know? I mean, I am only his mother after all.”

I gave a sigh. “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to offend you. But Alex and I,” I glanced her way, “we’re real and we’re solid and we’re talking about a serious future.”

“Honey, I have heard that exact phrase over and over with my son and his girlfriends.” She watched me for a long minute, waiting until I was stopped at another traffic light before speaking once more. “Look, I’m not trying to be the evil boyfriend’s mother here, but you have to look at it from my perspective.”

I turned to meet her gaze, wondering if I really wanted to hear this. “And what’s that?”

“Every time Alex introduces me to another one of his women, he claims that they’re the one. That what they have is serious and that he is madly in love with them. And then again and again, I have to help him nurse his broken heart back together.”

“But eventually you do find that one.”

Denise gave a half shrug. “If you get lucky.”

The red light changed to green and I accelerated into the intersection with the other traffic going the same direction we were. “And I truly believe we both did. We found each other out of all the people in the entire world.”

“Morgan, I’m not trying to be mean, or talk bad about my son-”

“Then why are you?”

“Because you need to know. Alex is very finicky and he has serious commitment issues. Things always start off wonderful and go smoothly and just perfect for the first few months, but then slowly it changes and before you know it, it’s over. That’s just how it’s always been.”

I frowned at her. “Why are you telling me this?”

“Because, while I know my son is not always at fault, he has had his share of breaking other’s hearts and I really don’t want to see it happen again.” She cast her eyes at me. “Especially to someone who feels so strong about him and their future together.”

“Are you trying to start trouble?”

“Of course not. I’m just trying to give you a heads up. I should have done it once I saw the pattern starting years ago and I didn’t. I think it’s high time I speak up.”

I slowed for the turn into Alex’s neighborhood. “And you chose to tell me instead of your own son?”

“Alex can be difficult to talk to about this stuff.”

I gave a little nod and chewed my bottom lip, steering the SUV down the tree-lined neighborhood. I wasn’t sure how to interpret what she was telling me or her reasons for it. And I didn’t know how much, if any, of it I should believe. Maybe she was just spinning tales to freak me out, or trying to stir up trouble, or she was trying to break us up for whatever sick reasons she may have. Or maybe she was being completely honest with me. Whatever the case, I needed to talk to Alex. And I needed to do it soon.

~*~*~*~*~

“Penny for your thoughts?”

I glanced back from where I’d been watching the waves crash upon the shore of the beach down below Alex’s deck to find him standing in the doorway. “Hey.”

“Hey.” He moved out onto the deck and shut the door behind him. “You alright?”

I gave a little nod and smoothed my hands over the top of the railing. “Yeah, are you?” It was after dinner and I had escaped out to the balcony for some fresh air while Denise and Alex cleared the table.

After dropping Denise off at Alex’s, I had escaped to work for the rest of the afternoon and didn’t arrive back to his place until nearly seven. They’d been keeping dinner warm and we’d sat around the table talking about the different things going on in our lives. Nothing too serious, but a little bit more than usual small talk. I had tried to join in on the conversation, but the entire time all I could think about was if Denise had said anything to her son. Or if what she had told me was really true. And then, how was I going to bring it up to Alex. Or if I even should. Maybe I just needed to forget it ever occurred and continue on with my life in a merry little way. Yes, that sounded like a wonderful idea.

“Yeah, I’m good.” He moved closer then reached and smoothed his hands down my arms, turning me to face him. “But you’ve been awfully quiet tonight.”

I gave a little shrug. “I’ve been letting you and your mom catch up.”

“Oh.” He gave a nod then pulled me closer to his chest, his large hands smoothing around to my back. “Is that all?”

“Mmhmm.” I slipped my arms around his waist and hugged him close.

“Okay.” He kissed the top of my head before resting his cheek against it.
We were quiet for a few minutes, letting the sound of the ocean below fill the silence in the air around us.

“You’d tell me if something was wrong, right?” He finally spoke up, pulling back enough to see into my face.

I couldn’t meet his eyes, instead directing my gaze to the middle of his forehead. “Of course.”

I knew by the crease lines in his forehead that he didn’t believe me. And inside, I was struggling with rather to talk to him about it or not. I needed to, that much I knew, but I also knew the setting was important and having a serious conversation about our relationship and his mother with her on the other side of the door was not something I wanted to do.

“I’m fine, baby.” I reached and smoothed my hand over his cheek. “I’ve just had a long day and I’m a little tired.”

“I’m sorry.” He took my hands in his. “Long day at work?”

“Yeah, I had three showings today on top of some problems with the bank with one of my clients, and I had to get your mom, thankfully her flight wasn’t late.”

“Sounds like you could use a nice, warm bath.” He pulled me to his chest again. “Maybe some bubbles, soothing music, chocolates.”

I sighed at his suggestion and could already feel myself melting. “That sounds so nice.”

“Let’s go upstairs and I’ll run you a bath. Maybe even get in with you.”

I pulled back and smoothed my shirt some. “What about your mom?”

He drew me back to his chest, his lips locating my ear and nibbling gently at the lobe. “She’s a grown woman; she can find something to entertain herself with for a couple hours.”

I chuckled. “I know, but I’d feel weird knowing your mom was right downstairs.”

“So does that mean I won’t be getting lucky tonight?” His hands smoothed to my rear and gave it a firm squeeze.

“Probably.” I peeked to his face. “What if she hears us?”

“Then you’re just gonna have to make sure you stay quiet.”

I laughed at that. “I can stay quiet by not doing anything.”

“Aww,” he gave a little pout, “and here I was looking forward to some hot loving tonight.”

“I’m sorry.” I kissed his mouth gently.

“Does this mean there won’t be anything going on until my mom leaves?”

I pulled back and gave his arm a squeeze. “I just don’t think I can do anything while she’s here. Knowing she’s right down the hall and could hear us, or come knock on the door while we’re in the middle of something. I’d be so embarrassed.”

He chuckled; his arm smoothing back around me and not letting me escape from him. “I can’t go a whole week without you, baby.”

That made me want to giggle. “Well,” I smoothed my hands over his sides then around to his chest, “I’m sure we could figure something out.”

“Oh, like what?” He lifted his brows.

“I don’t know.” I gave a slight shrug. “Maybe we go to my place one day, or if your mom happens to go out somewhere sometime.”

“Baby, I love the way you think.” A grin spread over his face and he hugged me close to him.

“We’ll just have to get creative.”

“Oh, I can definitely do that.” He began nibbling at my ear again, tracing the lobe with his tongue. “In fact, I could get creative right here, right now.” His hands began making their way to my rear again.

“Alex,” I laughed and pulled back, glancing towards the French doors and into the house, “we can’t do anything out here.”

He laughed and glanced towards the house then back to me. “We could go down to the beach.”

I chuckled and shook my head, reaching for his hand and starting for the door. “Let’s go back inside. This is her first night here and I’m sure she wants to spend some more time with you.”

He relented and let me lead him back to the doors and insides. “Alright, but I’m thinking tomorrow after work, you make a stop by your place before heading on to mine.”

I laughed low and shut the door securely behind him. “We’ll see.”

He kissed my head then gave my butt a squeeze. “Your place; six sharp. Then we’ll take my mom out to dinner after.”

I took his hand into mine and headed for the family room where I could hear the television going. “It’s a date.” Actually, that would work out perfectly. Tomorrow at my place we could have the conversation about what his mom and I discussed. Hopefully, he wouldn’t be too upset that there wasn’t any ‘hot loving’ going on. Only one way to find out.