- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
You guys are awesome! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Enjoy and as always, let me know your thoughts! :)

 

Alex called me as I was leaving Dianna’s. He was wondering where I was and wanted me to meet him and Denise at Katsuya. Seems Japanese Cuisine was a favorite of hers. He’d heard that we had mended ways and were getting along now and felt we ought to celebrate. I didn’t have the heart to tell him I’d already eaten; so instead, I promised not to be late then raced home to change. 45 minutes later I was being escorted into the restaurant and shown to the private table he had called ahead and secured.

“There you are,” he greeted me as I approached and he rose to kiss my cheek and pull out my chair.

“Hi, yes, I’ve arrived.” I squeezed his hand and thanked him before slipping into my seat. “There’s so much traffic out front and the camera people were going crazy because Hugh Jackman was leaving and they were trying their best to get good shots of him. I had a heck of a time trying to just get into the building.”

“Aww, I’m sorry, baby.” He reached over and gave my knee a loving squeeze. “Sometimes they can make things difficult.”

“They were outside when we arrived as well,” Denise joined in. “My son chatted them up like they were old friends.” She sent him a disapproving look before returning to her menu.

He chuckled low. “They’re just trying to get information out to our fans.”

“No, they’re trying to make a buck or two, or ten thousand.”

I watched between them and gave a low laugh. “Well, that’s Alex for you. He knows no enemies and everyone is his friend.”

“Aint that the truth.” We exchanged a look as Alex grinned sheepishly.

“It’s just my nature.”

I leaned over and kissed his cheek. “I know, baby, and I think it’s wonderful you’re so sweet and friendly with everyone.”

“Except when it’s with people who take advantage of him,” his mother voiced as she examined her menu.

“Hey now.”

But she ignored him and looked over at me again. “That’s what gets him into trouble. He can’t tell anyone no and so he ends up letting people walk all over him and then some. Did you know that he’s still paying for some of his ex-girlfriends bills?”

I lifted my brows and turned to Alex. “You’re giving your exes money?”

He sighed and shot his mother a frown then turned his beautiful eyes on me. “I don’t give them the money directly. I send it to the companies that do the billing.”

“What bills are you still paying?” I was baffled that he would pay for their bills. Since when did any ex boyfriend do that?

Alex gave a little shrug and his mother smirked just slightly, obviously pleased that I disapproved as well.

“Alex…”

“Just some cell phones and a few credit cards.”

“What? Why?”

“Because they wouldn’t have those bills if it hadn’t been for me. I … sort of owe it to them to pay ‘em.”

A frown graced my features. “You don’t owe them anything. Were you married to any of ‘em?”

“No!” He blinked a little and shook his head vehemently.

“Then you owe them nothing.” I set my menu down and faced him more. “I understand if when you were together, you picked up some of the tabs, but you’re not with any of them.” A beat. “Wait a minute, how many exes are we talking about here?”

“Just two.” He didn’t look pleased at the conversation, but luckily he wasn’t trying to evade it. I was sure his mother had been over it quite a number of times and he knew better than to try when she was around.

I gaped at my boyfriend, not even sure what to say to him.

Luckily, the server arrived at that time and we ordered our drinks.

Once he was gone, Denise continued like we’d never been interrupted, “He feels like he owes it to them considering it was because of him that they now have these bills.”

My brows rose once more and I glanced over to Alex. “So, it’s because of you that they continue to use these cards? That cell phone?”

“Yes, because he continues to keep paying them,” his mother answered for him. “I keep telling him if he’d stop then they’d either pick it up themselves, or just cancel the service.” She shot a look at her son that seemed to say she was speaking more to him than to me.

“Yeah, and then they call me up all upset and remind me that I said I’d continue the payments.”

“So,” I gave a snort, “that’s their problem. You tell them you have no obligations to them any longer and they’ll just have to suck it up and figure something else out.”

“Morgan’s right,” Denise threw in. “Listen to her, Alex.”

Her son gave a heavy sigh and slouched some in his seat. “Can we not talk about this right now? We’re supposed to be here celebrating that my mom and my girlfriend are finally getting along.”

His mother sat back, but I wouldn’t. “Alex,” I reached over and took his hand, forcing our eyes to meet, “if your ex-girlfriends decide to keep using their cell phones or credit cards, then that’s their decision. Has it ever occurred to you that they’re only doing it because you’re still paying them? And who cares if they call you up bit-complaining about it. Tell them to grow up and pay their own way. Or whine to the men they’re currently dating.”

“Listen to her,” his mother stressed. I had a feeling she wanted to run around the table and hug the life out of me for trying to convince her hard-headed son.

Alex frowned and gave a sigh, his jaw flexing some.

I touched his cheek then sat back again. “Alright, baby…we’ll drop it. Just…think about what I said.” I squeezed his hand then pulled it over into my lap.

“Thank you.” He sent me an appreciative look before turning to the menu in front of him. “We need to figure out what we want before the server returns.”

I nodded and we spent the next few minutes deciding on our dinners and placing the order. After we were left to sip our drinks, Denise began to tell some story about a neighbor of Alex’s that she has known a few years, since her son moved into his current house.

I chuckled low and Alex insisted that he had been hitting on her. She just waved him off, telling him that the neighbor knew she was happily married.

“Mom, I’m telling you,” he began, but didn’t get to finish when a voice interrupted the conversation.

“Alex? Hey! I thought that was you.”

We all turned to find a young woman standing at his elbow. She wore a sleek black dress and had her dark hair pulled back from her face. She was more cute than beautiful, but had a killer body; ample chest, thin waist and toned arms. I didn’t think she had a single ounce of fat on her.

My boyfriend watched her for a half second then recognition lit his face and he grinned. “Aubrey. Hey!” He smiled then starting to rise, but she touched his shoulder.

“Don’t get up on my account. I just had to come say hi. I feel like I never see you anymore.”

“Yeah, it’s been awhile.” He gave a nod then took her hand. “How are you, darlin’?”

“I’m doing really good. How are you?” Her emerald colored eyes shimmered at him before glancing to Denise and me.

“I’m actually doing really well.” He squeezed her hand in a warm gesture then released it. Following her gaze, he motioned towards his mom. “Um, Aubrey, this is my mother,” then he reached and touched my arm, “and this is Morgan. Ladies, this is Aubrey.”

“Gosh, it’s so nice to meet you both.” She reached for my hand, but I was too stuck on the fact that Alex had introduced me as just ‘Morgan’, not ‘my girlfriend, Morgan’, to take hers. Instead, I watched him with a perplexed expression.

Slowly withdrawing her hand, she turned and held it towards Denise. “It’s a pleasure to meet you. Mrs.…McLean?”

“Solis actually, but please, call me Denise.” She warmly shook the younger woman’s hand. “And it’s nice to meet you, too. How do you know my son?”

Before Aubrey could respond, Alex chimed in, “Through mutual friends. We’ve known each other,” he looked to the cute brunette, “how long now?”

She giggled and touched his shoulder. “Probably about four years.”

“Yeah, about four years,” he echoed her response, his eyes meeting mine and a confused look passing through them as he noted my expression.

“Mmhmm, we were friends for a long while before I finally got up the courage to tell him how I felt.” Her hand stayed on his shoulder and I began to realize what was going on here. She was some ex-girlfriend of his. Though, I had no idea why he had not mentioned exactly who I was. Should it bother me as much as it was?

Alex chuckled and I noted a slight blush on his cheeks. “I kind of already knew how you felt.”

“Yeah,” she giggled lowly, “but we never could seem to get it right, could we? Well, except for that one night when we took that trip to Puerto Vallarta with some friends.”

“I remember that.” He nodded his head some, shifting slightly in the chair and peeking his eyes my way for a brief moment.

“Mmhmm.” Her fingers brushed his shoulder. “You know, we really need to get together again. It’s been forever since we’ve hung out.”

“It has been awhile, hasn’t it?”

“Yes,” she tilted her head a moment then flashed a dimply grin his way. “What are you doing tomorrow night? Some of us are meeting up at The Lounge. You could join us, then maybe later…” she purposely trailed off and giggled low.

“Um, actually-”

“Actually,” I quickly interrupted before he could turn her down. “He’d love to go. How’s nine sound?”

All three sets of eyes turned to me and I could have sworn I saw a hint of amusement in Denise’s.

“Morgan…” My boyfriend, if that’s what he wanted me to call him, was watching me rather confused.

I patted his arm in a friendly manner. “It’s alright. Go have fun. Your mom and I can find something to do. I’m sure you and Aubrey have so much to catch up on.” My lips were smiling, but my eyes were anything but.

He frowned and caught my hand. “Well, I’m not going without you.”

“You don’t want to disappoint your friend.”

He matched my gaze. “We can catch up some other time. Right, Aubrey?” He turned back to the brunette who gave a quick nod.

“Oh, absolutely. If you two have plans or something, that’s totally cool. This was just a last minute invite.”

“And I appreciate it, but I think I’m gonna pass. Maybe next time.”

“Of course.” She smiled and glanced between Denise and myself. “It was so nice meeting you.” Then she leaned and kissed Alex’s cheek. “Give me a call and we can figure something out.”

He returned the kiss on her cheek and told her of course before bidding her goodnight.

As soon as she headed off, our dinners were served and silence fell over the table as everyone concentrated on their meals. It gave me a good excuse to not speak to Alex and I didn’t, making sure I took as long as I could to eat my small portioned dinner.

Finally, after we were finished, Denise excused herself to use the restroom, leaving us alone at the table.

Alex waited until she was out of earshot then turned his attention onto me. “What’s going on?”

I set my water glass back onto the table and met his gaze. “What?”

“You’ve been giving me the silent treatment for the last half hour. What gives?”

“I’m not giving you the silent treatment.” I arched a brow at him.

“I beg to differ.”

I blinked a little at his attitude, taken back by where it was coming from. “What’s with your attitude?”

“I don’t have an attitude.” But the expression on his face said differently.

“Can we talk about this later?” I really wasn’t in the mood to have this conversation in a crowded restaurant.

He ran a hand over his face and sighed, looking as they brought the check. “Fine, but later.”

“Yeah, yeah… I’m gonna go give the valet my ticket. It might take me awhile to get through the crowd.” I shrugged him off and rose from the table, not giving him a chance to object before I headed away and towards the exit.

~*~*~*~*~

I didn’t head to Alex’s after leaving the restaurant. Instead, I went home and sent him a text, telling him I was tired and was going to call it a night. He didn’t respond right away and I shut my phone off before he had a chance to later on. I wasn’t in the mood to talk to him. Maybe his not mentioning who I was exactly was just a slip up, maybe he assumed she’d know who I was. Or maybe he was so entranced by this previous bedmate that he completely forgot who I was. I’m surprised he remembered my name.

Trying to shake those thoughts from my head, I took a hot shower then dressed in some lightweight, blue pajama pants and a cream tank. I tied my hair up then made sure Daisy had enough water for the night before finally retiring to my room. She settled herself at the bottom of my bed and watched me with her big brown eyes.

I chuckled and ruffled her head before settling myself under the covers. “What’s that look for?”

She shifted her head, settling it over her paws, those eyes just watching me.

I couldn’t help but wonder if she was scolding me for my disagreement with my boyfriend. “Stop with that look. I haven’t done anything wrong.”

But instead of looking away, she rose from her spot and moved up next to me, nudging my arm with her wet nose.

“Daisy!” I frowned some and pushed her head gently away. “What’s going on with you?”

But she ignored me and nudged me again.

“What is your problem?”

Jumping over me and onto the floor, she shook herself out some and padded to the dresser where my phone lay. Then lifting onto her hind legs she rested her front paws on the edge of the dresser and craned her neck, leaning until she could get the phone into her mouth.

I watched in amazement as she brought it back to the bed and dropped it into my lap. “What the…” trailing off, I blinked and looked between the cell phone and my chocolate Labrador.

Seemingly proud of herself, she jumped back up onto the bed and settled herself next to me, watching me with a persistent expression, as if she were telling me to pick up the phone and call my boyfriend.

“You are a uniquely weird and amazing dog, you know that?” I picked up the phone and fiddled with it, smoothing my thumb over the on button and debating if I wanted to do this.

Luckily, I didn’t have to make that decision because I heard footsteps on the stairs and Alex’s voice filled the hallway. “Morgan?”

Scrambling from my bed, I dropped the phone onto the nightstand and moved to the closed door, yanking it open and nearly colliding with him. “What are you doing here?”

He jerked back some to keep from ramming into me, the look on his face one I wasn’t sure I could interpret. “What am I doing? You scared the shit out of me just disappearing after dinner and then not returning any of my texts. And when I called you it went straight to voicemail. I was worried sick.” He brushed past me and moved into the bedroom.

I blinked some, watching him. “I did send you a text. I told you I was tired and was going to just come on home and go to bed.”

“I never got it.” He frowned and glanced around the room, raking a hand through his hair. “God, you had me freaked out. I was worried something horrible had happened to you.” His eyes met mine again, flashing angrily at me.

“Well, nothing did. I’m perfectly fine; just tired and wanting to go to bed.”

“You didn’t even think I’d be worried?” He folded his arms over his chest.

“Frankly, no. I sent you that text. How was I supposed to know you never got it?”

“Well, maybe if you hadn’t turned your phone off you’d have seen that.”

I opened my mouth to respond, but nothing came out. He was right. Snapping it shut again, I frowned and turned towards my bed. “I’m tired. I need some sleep; I have a long day tomorrow.”

“Is that your way of telling me to leave?”

I climbed up into the bed and tugged the covers back some. “It’s my way of telling you that I need some sleep.”

“So, you don’t even care that I was going outta my mind thinking you were lying dead in a ditch somewhere, or that Andrew had escaped and jumped you?”

“You know what, Alex,” I looked up at him, “I’m really not in the mood right now. Why don’t you go talk to Aubrey, I’m sure she’ll help you feel better.” With a frown, I yanked the blankets up over my legs and tucked ‘em around me.

His brows shot so far up his head they nearly came off. “That’s what this is about? Aubrey?! Are you serious?”

I could feel the anger starting to boil. “Yes, I’m serious!”

“Are you jealous of her?”

“No, I’m not jealous of Aubrey,” I spit her name out. “But I’m beyond pissed that not only did you not tell her who I was, you had to let her go on and on about her sexual experiences with you!”

He hesitated and took a step closer to the bed. “I told her who you were. I introduced you.”

“Yeah, ‘oh and this is Morgan’,” I did a bad imitation. “You treated me like I was an acquaintance or some friend of your mother’s and not your girlfriend. You didn’t even tell her that’s who I was.”

His brow furrowed. “That’s what you’re so upset about? Because I didn’t make sure she knew we were dating?”

“Not just dating,” I could feel my voice give a tremor. “We’re in a relationship, Alex, a very serious one at that. And you didn’t even let her know. Nor did you object or say a word when she talked about bedding you.”

“What was I supposed to do? Jump up and cover her mouth?”

My eyes narrowed. “You don’t get it. Just leave so I can sleep.”

“I’m not going anywhere.”

Why was he so damn hard headed? Instead of arguing with him though, I gave a shrug and reached for the lamp on the nightstand, flicking it off. “Suit yourself. Good night.”

He waited until I was settled into the bed, Daisy having fled the angry voices earlier, before approaching. I felt the mattress shift as his weight pressed into it and then he was pulling me into his arms, tugging me gently to his chest and wrapping himself tight around me.

“I’m sorry if I didn’t tell Aubrey exactly who you are,” he murmured against my hair. “And I’m sorry that I didn’t ask her to stop talking about our sexual experiences.”

I felt my heart melting at the sincerity in his voice. I pressed my face to his chest and found it bare, knowing he had probably shucked his clothes and intended on staying here with me the rest of the night. “I’m sorry too. I didn’t mean to scare you, or yell. Or act like a bitch,” I added as an afterthought.

“You definitely were acting like one.” He chuckled low and gave me a squeeze when I objected to that comment.

“I’m sorry. I normally don’t fly off the handle like that.” I leaned my head up some, stroking my fingers over the smoothness of the bare skin on his side.

“I know, love.” He kissed my lips lightly. “You’ve had a rough last few weeks. Sometimes things just build and build till finally one little thing can set it all off. Like an avalanche.”

I sighed and rested my head back on the pillow, reaching a hand up to trace his features. “I suppose. But can I make a request?”

“Anything.” He brushed his lips over my forehead.

“Never let something like that happen again.”

Alex chuckled then pressed his forehead to mine, the moonlight filtering in through the window allowing just enough of a light to see each other’s outlines. “I promise. I’ve learned my lesson. From now on it’ll be ‘my girlfriend, Morgan’.”

“Good.” I smiled then closed my eyes and snuggled close to him again. “I love you.”

He brushed the hair from my face and wrapped his strong arms around me once more. “I love you, too.”