- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I have to thank those of you that nominated this fic for all the nominations it received in the Felix Awards! I was so floored and very honored. So a big thank you! And on that note...enjoy this chapter. :)
Two weeks went by and no word from Sarah. I was pretty sure Alex had made a phone call and threatened her within two inches from her life if she bothered me again. I didn’t really care because I didn’t like her one bit and it was nice not to have to worry about her threats. Whatever my boyfriend had done was working and I wasn’t going to question it.

Instead, I was on my way to the airport with said boyfriend to pick up my parents and Mimi. They had flown out to visit like promised and Alex had even gotten the whole week off from recording save for tomorrow, but he said if he went in extra early he should be finished by noon or one at the latest. We had plans to travel up to Sonoma and take a yacht out on the ocean, go to Catalina Island, whale watching and whatever else we felt like doing during their time with us.

I was thrilled that both parts of my lives were finally going to merge and become one. Dianna was insisting on having a barbecue at her place the following night and I tried to persuade her otherwise, but she wouldn’t hear it. She wanted to meet my family as much as I wanted them to be out here.

“You excited?” Alex questioned me as we made our way into the LAX airport baggage claim area.

I giggled low and gave his hand a squeeze. “More than you realize. I can’t believe they’re finally going to be out here.” My eyes grew misty and I wiped under them with my free hand. “It’s like both parts of my life are finally converging and it’s finally whole again.”

My boyfriend smiled at that and kissed my head. “No more sadness or tears now; this is a happy time.”

“I know and I’m happier than ever.”

He grinned at that then led the way to the escalators that were bringing the passengers down to claim their luggage. We didn’t have long to wait before I recognized my mother, father and grandmother. Tears filled my eyes and I covered my mouth as they rode the moving stairs further down to greet us.

“Morgan!” My mom exclaimed, her own eyes shimmering with tears. We met halfway and she wrapped me in her arms, hugging me tight.

I laughed and hugged her back. “It’s so good to see you, Mom.”

“Oh, baby, it’s wonderful to be here and see you.” She pulled back and cupped my face, kissing my forehead then looked me over. “You look beautiful.”

I smiled and kissed her cheek. “You do too, Mom.”

She smiled, squeezed my hands then moved out of the way and my father engulfed me in a hug. He too commented on how wonderful I looked and then my Mimi brushed him aside and it was her turn.

I couldn’t wipe the smile from my face as I hugged the petite woman before me. Her tears mirrored mine and she finally had to pull a tissue from her handbag and wipe her eyes.

“Goodness me.”

I chuckled and kissed her cheek. “It’s good to see you, Mimi.”

“Oh yes it is, Morgan. I’m so glad we could come.”

“Me too.” I gave her one more hug then moved back so she could greet Alex. Both my parents had already given their hello’s with handshakes and hugs and now my Mimi moved to him and pulled him into her arms.

I had to wipe the tears from my cheeks as I watched them. Alex was talking low to her and my Mimi’s laugh filled the air around her. Her eyes shone and I knew my wonderful boyfriend had to be charming her.

“Careful,” I cautioned as I approached and slipped my arm around my grandmother’s slim shoulders. “He’s taken.”

“Oh, child,” she chuckled, “If I were a few years younger.”

Alex laughed then slipped his hand into mine. “Well, shall we gather the bags then get on the road?” I turned to my parents. “I thought we could head back to my place and Alex and I can make up some lunch.”

“That sounds good to me. The airplane food is never enough.” My father patted his stomach then slipped an arm around my mother. Together, the five of us made our way to the carousel that their luggage would be coming in on.

“AJ, yo man, what’s up?”

The voice came from our right and I turned to see a man there balancing a camera on his shoulder. He was recording us and I held my boyfriend’s hand a little tighter as I realized he was a paparazzi of some kind.

“Hey.” Alex nodded politely at the guy.

“What’s goin’ on, man? You comin’ in from somewhere?”

“Nah, man, just picking up my girlfriend’s parents,” He kept his eyes trained on the carousel, but his voice was friendly.

Next to me, my mother leaned close and whispered, “Who is that?”

I shifted my gaze her way and replied back in a voice as soft as hers had been, “The paparazzi.”

“Oh.” She straightened up and shifted uncomfortably as the cameraman continued to question Alex. This time about the album and how the rest of the guys were doing and if Kevin was ever going to join them again.

My boyfriend responded to the questions politely and once the man seemed satisfied he’d gotten enough information, he moved off to find another celebrity.

“Gosh, that was something else,” Mimi declared as my father and Alex began grabbing up their bags and placing them on the luggage rack my dad had procured. “Does that happen often?”

I shrugged some. “I’ve only seen it a couple times.”

“It depends on where you go,” Alex replied as he situated a bag on the cart. “The airport and certain locations around town the paps are guaranteed to be there.”

“Yes, but we don’t go out that often; we try to keep a low profile.”

“My word, that gives you a rush.”

I laughed at my grandmother and slipped my arm around her shoulders. “Wait till you see Alex’s home; you’re going to die, it’s beautiful.”

“I can’t wait!” She clapped her hands in excitement and I couldn’t help but giggle; she was like a schoolgirl going on her first field trip.

“Alright, that should be everything,” my boyfriend mused as he checked the cart over. Then he looked to the rest of us. “We ready?”

“Let’s hit the road.” My dad clapped him on the shoulder then fell in step with him as they headed for the double glass doors that would lead us to the parking garage. The rest of us trailed along behind and soon we had the SUV loaded and were making the trek across town toward my home where they would be staying.

“So what are we doing first?” My mother questioned from her place in the middle seat next to my grandmother. My father sat in the very back. I had tried to offer the front seat to Mimi, but she ignored me and climbed on into the back.

I turned in the seat to face them. “Well, we thought you might want to rest up a bit and adjust to the time change. Then tomorrow we were going to show you around LA. Alex knows a few places he thought you might like. We wanna do dinner out somewhere like Koi one night soon; which is a really excellent Japanese place you’re going to love.”

“What about tonight?”

I shared a look with my boyfriend before turning my gaze back onto my mother. “Tonight we thought we’d just lay low and let you guys rest up from the trip and time change. Dianna is going to have a barbecue at her place tomorrow. So you’ll get to meet her.”

“Oh, I can’t wait!” My mother’s eyes shone brightly and it made me smile.

“She’s pretty excited to meet you guys. I didn’t want her going out of her way for the party, with her pregnancy and all, but she insisted.”

My mother couldn’t stop smiling herself. “I can’t wait to meet her and thank her for taking care of my baby when I couldn’t.”

“Mom.”

“Don’t ‘Mom’ me; she’s been like your den mother and I want to thank her.”

Alex chuckled and squeezed my leg. “Dianna’s been taking very good care of Morgan. She makes her eat her vegetables and everything.”

That made my dad laugh. “She never did like her vegetables when she was home. We’d find ‘em crumpled in napkins or under the placemat.”

My boyfriend laughed with him. “I think I found some green beans under one of mine once.”

“Hey now,” I lightly pinched his arm and chuckled, “I eat them now.”

“Sure, sure,” Alex teased, winking then looking back to the road ahead.

“Lately though,” I turned the subject back to Dianna and away from my food aversions, “I’ve been the one taking care of her. She’s really starting to show and her morning sickness has been so difficult. This past week I’ve been taking meals over for Manuel because she just isn’t up to cooking.”

My mother frowned in a concerned way. “That’s too bad, but I’m glad you’re helping her out.”

“Of course, how can I not? She’s done so much for me and I love her to death.”

“How’s the job coming along?” My father questioned after a short silence drifted through the vehicle.

I shifted in my seat to face him. “It’s going well; I got a huge bonus check from Zoe two weeks ago. She says I’m still the top agent.” I shifted my eyes toward my boyfriend then back to my dad. “She thinks within a year or two I’ll be able to open up my own office and hire a staff.”

“Oh honey, that’s wonderful!” My mother’s face shone with a sense of pride.

I smiled and nodded my head, not wanting to bring the fact up that I wasn’t sure where I would be in a year or two. With Alex’s tour and how long it would be and the fact that he wanted me to basically travel with him, I didn’t know if I’d be available to achieve that goal. The thought was a dream come true; but the reality of it was that…just a dream.

Of course I hadn’t talked that over with Alex yet and I could see the surprise on his face. He reached over and took my hand. “Why didn’t you tell me she said that?”

I shrugged in a casual manner. “It must have slipped my mind. There’s so much we talk about and such little time to fit it all in with our schedules.”

“Oh, well that’s definitely something to be proud of.” He kissed the palm of my hand. “And if you wanted to keep it just yourself, you could even work out of your home.”

“But I want an office building with a staff. I want to do what Zoe does.”

His eyes met mine and I felt my heart melt at the love held in them. “Then do that, baby. You’re so great at it; I know you’ll be wonderful at managing everything Zoe does and then some.”

“Thank you.” I giggled low.

“How are things going for you, Alex?” My mother questioned after the moment between he and I had passed.

Alex glanced his eyes into the rearview mirror before directing them back to the road. “Busy, crazy, hectic, but wonderful. We’re back in the studio about every day working on our new material.”

“Oh, making another record?”

“Yes, ma’am. We’re looking at it dropping the beginning of February. Then we’ll hit the road around then to promote it and the tour would start up probably April.”

My grandmother looked confused. “What’s dropping it? Where’s it going?”

That made me giggle and my boyfriend laughed low. “No, Mimi,” I shook my head, “dropping is just another term for it being released to the public.”

“Oh,” she laughed and waved a hand, “you youngins and your slang. I never know what the kids mean anymore.”

My dad chuckled. “How long do your tours go?”

“It really depends on where we go; if they’re overseas then it’s longer, but if we stay here or Canada it’s usually a few months. But it also depends on how long we drag it out for and how many breaks between dates we do.”

We were now turning into my neighborhood and I pointed out to my mother the direction of the Pacific Ocean while my dad and Alex continued to discuss what all a tour entailed.

“So, Morgan, what are you going to do when Alex is gone for months at a time?”

My dad’s question pulled me away from the conversation my mother, grandmother and I had fallen into and I glanced to him then to my boyfriend. “Um, well, we hadn’t really figured it all out yet.”

“I want her to come with me,” Alex announced as he slowed to make the turn onto the road I lived on.

“On tour with you? Is that possible?” My mother’s eyes widened with surprise and curiosity.

He gave a nod as he straightened the wheel out. “Of course. And it’s an experience you never forget; getting to sightsee at all the cities and experience everything the different countries have to offer. Not to mention, being able to attend our show every night we have one,” the last part was directed at me and he winked.

I rubbed my hands on my pantlegs before speaking up, “I told him I wasn’t sure yet. I don’t know if I can just take off like that; especially with work and Daisy.”

“Daisy! I bet she has grown up!” My grandmother seemed clueless to the conversation. “I hope she remembers me.”

I chuckled, thankful for the moment that eased some of the tension gathering between my shoulders. “I’m sure she will, though be careful because she’ll probably try to knock you over with all her lovin’.”

“I’m gonna have to bring Bernie over while you folks are here so you can see how the two interact. It’s really something else.” Alex shook his head at the thought and slowed for the turn into my driveway.

I was thankful the tour discussion seemed to be over. Smiling, I glanced to my home then to the back of the SUV to my family. “And this is where I live.”

“Oh Morgan, it’s beautiful,” my mother breathed out in a stunned tone. Her brilliant eyes so much like mine took it in and she smiled brightly at me. “It really is; just absolutely beautiful.”

I blushed and gave a little shrug. “It’s nothing compared to Alex’s, which we’ll have to take you to go see, but I like it and it’s home.”

“I can’t wait to get the tour.” She waited until my boyfriend had the vehicle in park then unbuckled. “How many bedrooms did you tell me it had again?”

“Four of them. And three baths,” I added as an afterthought. “Though the bedroom on the first floor I’ve converted into an office. But no worries, I have the two guest rooms upstairs all set up for all of you.”

“Oh, we’re not worried, honey.” She smiled at me then thanked my father when he slipped from the vehicle and helped her out then my grandmother.

Alex rounded the SUV and opened my door then extended his hand to me. “Morgan can give you the full tour while I make some lunch.”

“That sounds wonderful.” My mom slipped her arm around me as I exited the SUV and hugged me to her side. “I’m so proud of you,” she spoke softly before pressing a kiss to my temple.

I returned the squeeze. “Thank you, I’m pretty proud of myself too.”

Alex grinned at the two of us. “How ‘bout you take your mom and grandmother on inside and your dad and I will bring in the luggage?”

“Sounds good. Thank you, honey.” I rose on my tiptoe and kissed his cheek then extracted the house keys from my purse. “Alright, ladies, this way.” Then I led the way up the path and to the house.

~*~*~*~*~

That evening after the sun had set for the day and a soft breeze blew fresh ocean air through the open patio doors, my mother and I were settled on the sofa in the living room. My grandmother had retired for the night, citing extra exhaustion from the time change and long trip and my father had gone upstairs to take a shower. Alex had headed home a bit ago, which was a little early for my taste, but he had to be back at the studio before six the next morning and needed some decent sleep. I would have preferred he stay the night, but I didn’t know how my parents would feel about that, so we thought separate houses for sleeping would be best.

After a delicious lunch of tuna salad with pita bread, we’d taken Daisy on down to the beach and walked along the shore. My mother had collected a few shells for souvenirs and my grandmother and I had walked arm in arm while my father and Alex strode ahead lost in a conversation of some sorts. Then we’d retired to my patio to sit and catch up and just enjoy the beautiful weather and finally being together again.

“I am just so glad to finally be out here,” my mother spoke from the corner of the sofa she was curled up in. In her hands she held a cup of hot tea and a throw blanket was draped lightly over her legs.

I smiled and sipped my own tea then lowered the mug. “I’m really glad you guys are finally out here too.”

She matched my smile with one of her own. “We’re so excited to be doing all the fun things you have planned for us, but even if we just stayed here every day I’d be just as happy.”

That touched something inside me and I reached out and touched her arm. “I know the feeling, but we want to show you all that California has to offer.”

“And I’m not complaining one bit,” she winked at me over her mug before taking a sip from it.

I giggled low and snuggled back into the sofa, extending my legs and resting my feet on the coffee table. “I hope we don’t run Mimi ragged.”

“I don’t think we will; that woman has more life in her than I have in my pinky. She seems to be doing more and more since your grandfather passed, which I think is good for her. Beats sitting around an empty house filled with memories.”

“True,” I slowly nodded my head in agreement, “but she’s really doing okay?” My eyes studied my mother’s face as she gave a nod of her own in response. “How are you doing?”

She gave a sigh and her shoulders dropped some. “I have my moments. Some days I just break out into tears in the strangest places. Couple weeks ago I was buying meat at the deli and I just broke down. The poor guy behind the glass probably thought I was a crazy woman.”

I chuckled then reached and squeezed her arm. “I’m sure he didn’t think that.”

She wiped at a few tears her thoughts had conjured up. “I hope not. But for the most part I’m doing alright.”

“Good.” I offered up a sympathetic smile.

She nodded and took another drink then lowered the mug to her lap. “But you, how are you doing?”

“I’m okay. I keep busy, so that keeps my mind off things and I know he’s in a better place now.”

“Yes, that he is.” Her lips pressed together for a moment before she spoke again, “and things with Alex are going well?”

I had finally relented shortly after Candace’s admission to Grayson’s job offer in England to tell my mother what had transpired between Alex and me. With her going to be out here with us, I didn’t want anything unexpected to occur and the idea of Sarah popping up and being trifling was on the front of my mind.

She’d taken it all in stride of course and hadn’t said one bad thing about him. I know I would always have her support and would continue to do so even if I didn’t make the same decisions she might if she were in my shoes. But that’s part of being a mother and I think we both had that same understanding about our relationship.

“Things with Alex are going really well at the moment.” I drew my bottom lip into my mouth and held it between my teeth for a moment, thinking everything over. “I feel like it’s going too well and something horrible is going to jump out at us.”

“What makes you think that?”

A shrug. “Because that’s our luck. Every time we’re in a good place something has to come and try to ruin it.”

Her eyes looked at me with understanding. “But you don’t let it. You two seem much stronger today because of everything you’ve been through and dealt with.”

“I think we are. And I know neither one of us is going to give up on the other or let go without a fight. So I know we’re not gonna like…break up or anything. But the idea of having to deal with more drama or hurt or surprises just exhausts me and makes me want to climb under a rock with him and hide forever.”

My mother chuckled low at that. “Oh honey, then you’d miss out on everything that was wonderful in life and the things that being with someone makes your life even that much better. Besides, all the drama and hurt and hard times you have to go through only makes the joy and satisfaction of your lasting relationship that much better.”

I tilted my head. She had a point there. “True.”

“And I think it makes you both realize how precious love is and you don’t take it for granted.”

My eyes lifted to her. “When’d you get so smart?”

“When you grew into an adult according to you, but I’ve always been this smart.”

That made me laugh.

“So, can I ask how serious you two are about each other and your future?”

I eyed her with a knowing look. “Are you wanting to know if there will be wedding bells in the future?”

“Well that,” she shrugged sheepishly, “and the pitter patter of little feet. You know I want some grandchildren.”

“And you’ll get them.” I laughed and nudged her gently. “But all in good time. Just think how precious and sweet it will be when they finally do arrive.”

“If I’m still young enough to enjoy them.”

I knew from the look in her eyes she was teasing me. “You will be. We don’t want to rush into anything and we’ve both been dealing with things in our past, as you know. But the time will come, Mom. He’s definitely the man I’m going to marry; we’re just not sure when yet.”

“Oh Morgan, you know I don’t want to rush you into anything.”

“And you’re not; believe me, no one is going to rush into anything. Every decision we make is going to be with the right amount of thought. We both want this to last for the rest of our lives so we’re going to do all we can to make sure that happens.”

She nodded in understanding. “What about this tour he was talking about earlier?”

I sighed and slouched into the back of the sofa. “I have no idea. He really wants me to go with him, but Mom, I can’t just take off for a year and go follow him on tour. I can see myself flying out to visit a few times, but quit my job so I can be with him while he’s off doing his,” I shook my head sadly, “I don’t know if I can do that. Besides, I really love what I do and I want to work toward my own office. Taking a year off will only delay it for who knows how long.”

“So it’s definitely going to be a year tour?”

I shrugged. “Worst case scenario.”

She nodded some then pressed her lips together again and studied me. “What happens after you’re married and he has to go tour? Do you go with him then? And what about when you have children?”

I hadn’t even thought about those scenarios yet. “I…” I wet my bottom lip, “I have no idea,” my voice sounded vacant. “How could I raise children on my own? Am I supposed to drag them around with us while we go from hotel room to hotel room and country to country?”

“Honey,” she shifted on the sofa until she was closer to me, “love is never easy, we both know that.”

I nodded, but remained silent, and she continued, “You know that we love Alex and I know that you do. I know you want a future with him and I know one day you want to be a family and have children. And while I don’t want to tell you what to do or support you giving up everything you’ve been working hard for, sometimes relationships require giving a little even when you may not want to.”

“You think I should quit my job and follow him on tour?” My brows lifted.

“No,” she shook her head and squeezed my shoulder in an attempt to diffuse the anger that was slowly beginning to form, “I am only trying to say that you don’t write it off yet. If you go into this with your mind set on all those things; not quitting your job and that you’re gonna have your own agency within 12 months then you’ll only be driving a wedge between the two of you. You need to leave some room for leeway and really listen to him, take what he says to heart and truly think it over.” She took my hand in hers and squeezed it firmly, forcing our eyes to meet. “Don’t make a decision on your future before you talk over all the possibilities with him.”

“Of course I’m going to talk it over with him.”

“I know, but if you’ve already made up your mind that you’re not going and nothing’s he going to say will change your mind, then what’s the point of even hearing him out? His words are going to fall on deaf ears and he’ll start to resent you. Then you’ll be sending your man out there to the other side of the world where he’ll be surrounded my thousands of women who adore and love him and would give their right arm to be in your shoes, and it might not be that difficult for them to get there,” her tone held a warning.

My stomach pitched at that thought. “You…you think that would happen?”

“I’m just saying that this is a decision not to be made lightly or with that stubborn streak that you have.”

I frowned and rubbed my forehead. Great, now I would have that running through my mind every time I told myself that going with him wasn’t going to do me any good.

“They always say that love is 80% giving and 20% receiving. Maybe you two could come up with a compromise of some sorts; three months on and two months off, or you go visit him every other week. That way you both get a little of what you want, no one loses completely and your relationship doesn’t suffer because of it.”

I simply nodded, not wanting to have this conversation anymore. “I’ll really think about all that, Mom, and I appreciate your concern and advice, but can we talk about something else? The idea you just put into my head is really unsettling and I need to get it out of my mind before I call him up and start yelling at him for something he hasn’t even done yet.”

She chuckled and kissed my forehead. “Anything for you, baby.”

“Thank you.” I smiled at that and then we fell into a mindless conversation about Grayson and Candace and when we would get to go visit them and I finally began to relax once more. Hopefully I would never have to think about that again.
Chapter End Notes:
As always, feedback is so appreciated. Please let me know what you thought about this chapter. Thank you :)

And don't forget to check out my Facebook. I'm gonna be doing some exciting stuff with previews/sneak peeks of chps or fics and I may even answer some questions or give away secrets hehe. http://www.facebook.com/heavenly.tales