- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is my response to the January Challenge!

 I chose to use this challenge to write a teaser for the future of my in-progress story, "I Know Who You Are" (in response to the challenge of writing about Alex's 31st birthday). I hope you enjoy it! You're thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Author's Chapter Notes:
January challenge and future teaser for "I Know Who You Are". Enjoy! You're thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated! ~ C
It was a long shot attempt, but Alex thought he’d try anyway. Most of his friends were still riding out the holiday buzz. He was pretty sure the one person he’d wanted to call most was not.

What the hell? he thought. She has to pick up sometime.

He picked up the phone and dialed the number he’d become familiar with over the last 8 months, even though most of the time, his calls went unanswered. He hoped this time would be different – it was a new year after all.

“What can I do you for birthday man?” She’d picked up his call after the sixth ring. Impressive. Her voice gave him chills.

Alex smiled into the phone. “Isn’t the expression birthday boy?” She was such a fucking smart ass with him. He’d snap her out of it one day though. If only she’d let him in…

“Traditionally, yes, but you’re 31, which officially defines you as old. You may be a Backstreet Boy, but you’re getting up there, dude.” Yup. Chanel Valadez was a smart ass when it came to her – was he her friend? She couldn’t decide. She knew he wanted to be more than, however, because he never stopped calling. She barely gave him the time of day when he showed up to her downtown LA apartment. Whatever Alex McLean was, she did like having him around some days.
    “Okay, then I’m old. Fine. Whatever. But today is my day to celebrate and your big 2-0, darling, is less than two weeks away! So we’re going out tonight! You can’t say no. I haven’t seen you in over a month.”
    “This is true. But tonight? Ugh. That means I have to go buy you a present and I really--”
Alex cut her off.
    “No, no way. No excuses. I don’t need a present – I already bought myself the new iPhone – I just want to spend my birthday with you.” He got quiet. “Stop hiding from me already. Can’t you see that I---”
    “Okay, okay. I’ll go…but…ummm…”
She grabbed her hip. She didn’t know how much longer she could take the spasms. She thought this part of her life was over; she’d worked hard enough for it to be.
    “Babe, are you okay?” Alex asked nervously.
Of course, he noticed her voice trail off.
    “Yep, I’m fine!” Chanel squeaked out, “And will you stop calling me that…do I look like a big blue ox? Listen AJ, I can’t drive right now, so pick me up at 9. I gotta go.”

    Chanel hung up the phone abruptly; that’s not what left Alex in a worried stupor (hanging up on him was one of her many defense mechanisms). She called him “AJ”. Something she’d never done.

    “She can’t drive? She definitely drove herself to our concert in Hollywood…” He was speaking to absolutely no one and his chocolate lab, Lyric, was looking at him like he was delusional. “Do not look at me like that, missy. Something is definitely wrong with your favorite ear-scratching girl.”

***

    Seven-thirty quickly rolled around, leaving Chanel in a scramble to get ready. She wanted to get out of her condo the minute Alex showed up. He couldn’t see her like this; she needed to pull it together. Her hips flexors were killing her, but she managed to spend a half hour stretching before getting ready. She had no idea where Alex was taking her, but she wanted to look nice for him on his birthday. From the first time they’d had coffee together, she'd given him attitude, never fully let him in. Never letting him fathom more than friendship. She couldn’t let it happen. And now, it was only getting worse. He really couldn’t see her like this. He didn’t deserve her baggage in his life. He thought he knew everything…

    He thinks he can really see me. She rolled her eyes at the thought. Bullshit. If he really knew, he wouldn’t stick around.

    She finished off her mascara, slicked on her sheer wine-colored lip gloss, and looked herself over. She ran her fingers through her dark loosely waved hair; she felt proud of herself for fitting into her favorite park of dark trouser jeans for the firth time in 3 months. Her empire waist jade green top hugged her curves nicely, showing off the slightest bit of ample cleavage. She’d humor the birthday man…just for tonight. As she reached for black patent leather peep-toe pumps, a sharp pain bolted through her left Achilles’ tendon. She inhaled deeply.
    “Owww!” Chanel groaned through gritted teeth.
Thankfully, she had the exact pair, but as a flat. She glanced at her bracelet watch: eight forty-five. After putting everything she had into getting rid of all the physical pain she’d grown up with, she never expected it to possibly return. She had fifteen minutes. Alex could not see what she had become in the last six weeks…she needed to pull it together. There was a knock at the door.
Shit!” He was early. She reached for her purse, slowly walking to the door. “This is the last thing I need jackass!” she muttered under her breath, secretly hoping Alex would hear her. It hurt like a bitch to put weight on her foot, but she did her best not to limp. It wore off eventually. Usually, anyway… Taking a deep breath, she opened the door and closed it tightly behind her. She looked up and their long-lashed, brown eyes met. Her stomach flipped. Could she really hide all this from him?
“Hi you,” she murmured coyly.

***
    She looked beautiful. As much as he couldn’t get over how much she stunned him, he also couldn’t get over the egging notion that she was hiding something.

     “Ya know, it is your birthday, you shouldn’t be this pensive.”
Chanel was flipping through Alex’s iPod, still not satisfied with a song choice for the car’s entertainment. Alex glanced at her quickly.
    “I wish you would just tell me what’s wrong. You think I can’t tell, but you asked me to pick you up. Red flag, number one. You think I didn’t notice that instead of you making me wait twenty extra minutes for you – like you
usually do – when you answered the door completely ready? You ushered me to the car…you’ve never, ever, called me AJ…” he hesitated. “I just hope you’ll let me in soon enough.” She reached for the steering wheel, placing her hand on his.

    From the moment he had picked up the phone that morning, Alex knew he wanted to spend his night at the new Yard House steak house at LA Live. It was definitely one of his top five restaurants – not for the steak, certainly not for the variety of alcohol, but for the lemon soufflé cake. The two had chosen to share a filet and the private booth the restaurant had reserved made Chanel feel cozy. Cozy was what Chanel desired. Especially now…
Taking a final bite of mashed potatoes, she scooted over and rested her hand on his, locking their fingers and thumbing the back of his tattooed hand. It was the second time that night and something she hadn’t done since soon after they met. He was always initiating the “affection”. She may have been on the verge of twenty, but Alex wished for nothing more than for the world around her to experience her wisdom: the wisdom that amazed him every time they we together. Through his eyes, she could be all succumbing. Her grip on his hand tightened. A bolt shot through her both hips now; the burn in her heel had yet to really subside.  His eyes questioned her; she gave him a small smile.
    “I’ll be right back,” she assured him. She moved her hand, using both to hold the edge of the table, helping herself up. She could feel her balance slightly giving way, but she fought it. Chanel stepped from the booth and her thoughts swarmed as she scoped out the restaurant manager. Her left knee popped. She gritted her teeth, catching her balance, hoping no one had noticed. She had worked years to not be back at square one, but there was never a guarantee. Her doctors had doubted her, yet she had proved them wrong. She proved everyone wrong. She even hated crying in front of people…how could she possibly let Alex see her like this? She couldn’t tell him. Not yet. After finding the manager, and tipping him off about the occassion, she made her way to the ladies’ room.

    Fifteen minutes had gone by once Alex’s birthday dessert arrived: lemon soufflé cake with a child’s #1 birthday candle. The gesture put a big smile on his face, but Chanel hadn’t been there to see it. She was still in the bathroom. Another five minutes passed, and the wax on the candle had begun to drip. But he wasn’t going to blow it out without her. This they had to share. He felt a nervous stomachache coming on. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a glimpse of jade green. Chanel was walking back to the booth; for the first time that night he noticed her strides were slow, slower than normal. She'd always walked slowly... Her faced glowed with excitement for him, he loved that cake. She was half way back and she opened her mouth as if to say something while walking around and through all the other tables. She cried out in pain. Alex couldn’t tell that her left knee had buckled as she fell to the left, landing hard on her elbow as she skidded across the floor. The nerves in his stomach became fear.

    “Babe!” Chairs fell over as he rushed to her, kneeling at her side. “Sweetheart…what happened? Talk to me…” he urged, trying to pick her up. Her eyes were that of a frightened and embarrassed little girl, but her arms pushed him away.
    “I’m fine, just leave me alone.”
He reached for her.
    “I got it!” she snapped.
    “Okay, okay,” he said softly.

Patrons seated near them were watching. She felt their stares burning her skin and she had always hated that feeling. She sat up, struggling to get to her feet. Another moment to prove the outsiders wrong… Her weakened balance gave way once again, too quickly for him to catch her and she landed on her right butt cheek, discomfort going through the stronger side of her body. She was flustered and even more exasperated. This wasn’t supposed to happen! Not in public. Not on his birthday. She let out a shaky sigh and her eyes were rimmed with tears as she looked up at him. This was a first. He was still on his knee.

“Alex…” her voice broke.

He put one arm around her shoulders and the other under her knees, lifting her up in his arms. There was no way she could walk out of there. The Yard House manager and staff had rushed over, flooding them both with questions. He knew she wouldn’t talk if he didn’t even fully understand what was happening. He held her close as he made his way through the maze of knocked down chairs to the exit. Her head rested in the crook of his neck, tears soaking through his black dress shirt. The manager called out, assuring he could come settle the bill the following day, as well as an injury report. Alex nodded in acknowledgement.
He stepped outside the restaurant, holding his wonderful smart-ass – was she his friend…closer to his warm body. Holding her tighter. His throat was dry. The cold winter air breeze hit her face. Her tears kept spilling down her cheeks; she bit her bottom lip. The pain had yet to subside.
“You need to tell me what is going on with you.” His voice was low. That’s all he wanted.

Inside, the candle continued to burn…