- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This is rated PG 13 for strong language and questionable situations...lol
Author's Chapter Notes:
ok....i wasn't sure about warnings...there's some suggested slash but no actual M/M slash takes place. The PG is mostly for some questionable language and situations. More warnings will be listed as I post chapters. ENJOY!!
Chapter One: Panic

"Guys, please don't fight right before the show starts," a tired Kevin Richardson groaned, rubbing his aching temples for the millionth time that afternoon. Nick and AJ had been at each other's throats since they stormed into rehearsals screaming. During sound check that night, Kevin had to break up a fist fight between them. In fact, all five Backstreet Boys had been arguing that morning at some point, but Nick and AJ had been at it all afternoon.
"Nick started it," AJ said as he plopped down and sank into the soft leather couch cushions in their green room backstage. Nick walked in shooting AJ a dirty look before taking out his Sidekick and texting furiously. Kevin grabbed the phone and threw it into the corner of the room.
"You guys have been going at it all day...Kevin's getting a headache..." Howie said softly as the person in question grabbed for a bottle of asprin. Nick brushed his blonde hair out of his face and scowled without a reply. AJ muttered something to him and Nick's face instantly filled with rage.
"I'LL KILL YOU!!" he screamed as he pounced on top of the rebel. Brian ran over and held him back, Nick swinging his arms wildly and without hesitation.
"ENOUGH!!" Kevin roared from behind them.
"Will you two give it a rest? Nicky, calm down." Kevin begged. Nick shot him a dirty look at the sound of his nickname.
"Stop calling me that, I'm not a baby anymore." he snapped bitterly.
"If you didn't act like a spoiled brat all the time, we wouldn't treat you like one, Carter."
"AJ, don't!" Brian warned.
"Jay, apologize to Nicky." Kevin said, downing the aspirin and sighing.
"Why does it always have to be me?" AJ asked.
"Because it usually is you," three of the guys said in unison. Nick had a smug grin on his face as he stood in front of AJ, relishing the apology he had coming.
"Drop dead, Carter!" he shouted. Nick stared at him in shock, then exchanged looks with the other three guys before mumbling something.
"I said drop dead, get the fuck out of my face and my life. I don't want anything to do with you." AJ repeated, every word stinging with pure hatred. As soon as the words left his mouth, AJ saw that Nick's eyes began to tear.
"Oh, here come the waterworks..." he muttered.
"AJ, stop." Brian pleaded as he noticed the sudden change of mood in the room.
"He didn't mean it, Nicky." Kevin said as he led Nick out of the room and into the hallway.
"Why did you say that to him, Jay? What the hell were you thinking? You know he and his mother had another fight over the phone today, why do you need to stress himn out for?" Brian whispered angrily. AJ didn't answer but shoved past Howie and left the room, Brian's question hanging in the air. About ten minutes or so later, the concert was to start. The boys were lifted high above the crowd in their harnesses, having practiced numerous times and feeling safe as they glided over the throngs of screaming girls. As the music began to play, Nick was starting to feel nervous, and rememebred he hadn't taken his anxiety medication at all that day. The first notes of the Star Wars theme began to play and Nick took a reassuring look over to Brian who smiled back. Suddenly, one of the cables attatched to Nick snapped right in half. Screaming, Nick was held on by one wire and swayed over the panicking crowd of girls below.
"Someone grab him!!" Kevin screamed. Nick tried desperately to stay up as AJ swung near him and grabbed onto his arms.
"Don't let go!!" Nick pleaded, his eyes sparkling with unshed tears. His face flushed with sheer terror, Nick cried out as his other cable snapped. AJ began to lose his grip when the second wire broke, but regained his hold on his bandmate's wrists.
"AJ!!" Nick shouted when his hands started to slip a few moments later. He tried so hard to hold onto AJ but his hands were sweaty. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion as Nick tumbled down and slammed into the floor below, his microphone screeching as it landed on the concrete floor and a small pool of blood forming under his head. Nick Carter's mind was overtaken with darkness as the echoing screams of his bandmates filled his ears.