- Text Size +
Chapter 11

Nick opened his eyes and blinked. He was in the apartment again, laying in the king sized bed with its satin sheets. It was then he realized this really was his life and he had to make the best of it. After taking his shower he walked out to find AJ sitting there.
"Feeling better? You sure acted strange yesterday." AJ commented as Nick downed a cup of coffee.
"AJ, do you ever feel like this is not the life you are supposed to be living?" he asked suddenly. AJ looked at him in suprise at the question.
"Wow, that is a deep question. What brought this on?"
"Imagine if you had this whole other life, then you wake up one day and its completely different?"
"Nick....God has a plan for all of us. You live the life you choose to live. If you are happy, it will all turn out exactly the way you want." AJ said wisely. Nick nodded and AJ left to go to church. Nick sat there for a while and decided it was time to just accept he would never be a Backstreet Boy again. He wandered out into New York again and decided to look for a job. Heading into the crowded subway again, he heard singing. Howie was standing nearby singing again as people passed him by without a glance.
"Not you again!" Howie shouted as Nick walked over.
"I am sorry for yesterday. Can I make it up to you? I am sure you are hungry." Nick said with a grin. Howie happily accepted and the two of them went to a diner nearby.
"So who did you say you were?" Howie asked as Nick dumped 10 sugars in his coffee.
"You don't know me but I know you. This is not how things are supposed to be."
"Okay..."
"Look, I am so sorry if I freaked you out." Nick apologized again. The waitress brought their food and Howie ate like he hadn't eaten in a month.
"Thank you for the food." Howie said after a while.
"You look hungry, need something else? Something to take home?" Nick offered. Howie wiped his mouth and shook his head.
"I can't put it anywhere but my pockets....I lost my home a few years ago." Howie explained sadly.
"How did that happen?"
"Well, I owned my own business and it went under. I lost my house because I owed the bank money. I live on the street now, move to a different place every night. Its not that bad." Howie told him.
"How would you like to come live with me and my roomate in our apartment? We have plenty of room." Nick offered. Howie looked like a kid on Christmas morning. He jumped up and hugged Nick tightly, tears in his eyes.
"Oh, thank you! Of course I would! Thank you!" the Latino exclaimed happily. Nick took him home and AJ greeted them.
"I am so proud of you, Nick. Its great what you did for him." AJ beamed as Howie settled in.
"Sometimes we all need some help getting where we need to go. I am giving him a second chance." Nick explained.
"We all deserve one. Maybe this is what you were meant to do, help people."
"In a way he helped me too." Nick said with a smile.