- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Well it has been a month or so since I updated this one. I am having trouble with this story. I was inspired a little bit to write this chapter, so hope you are all still with me here. Thanks for reading!
Chapter 9


Brian looked up when AJ walked into the hospital room. AJ looked angry as he stomped in and sat down.
"I can't believe that asshole doctor wants to take him off life support." he snapped as he took off his sunglasses. Brian shrugged his shoulders and squeezed Nick's hand again. The guys had all been visiting Nick several times a day since he had been in the coma, and it had been a month and a half since the accident. Nick still was unresponsive to everything they had tried.
"Jay, the doctor knows what's best for Nick. You don't want him to be a vegetable forever, do you?"
"Well, I don't want the kid to die either though." AJ said, looking sourly at his bandmate in the bed.
"Did you talk to him today?"
"Yeah, I was singing to him before. He hasn't moved yet." Brian explained sadly. The doctor had been in to see Nick and had said Nick's parents gave permission to take him off of life support to see if he would come out of the coma.
"This is all my damn fault, we shouldn't have fought."
"Jay, stop blaming yourself. Nick wouldn't care about whatever it was anyway."
"Brian, it wasn't that simple. I told him to drop dead! Imagine if you were me, you wouldn't be able to live with yourself if those were the last words you ever said to him." AJ said, his eyes starting to water again. He sniffed as Brian put a hand on his shoulder.
"You didn't mean it, I am sure. We have to stay positive for Nicky. He can hear everything we are saying." he said with a comforting smile. AJ still felt guilty for telling Nick to drop dead. The image of Nick's was burned in his brain and when he closed his eyes he swore he could hear Nick screaming. He had been seeing a therapist but stopped because he couldn't handle it anymore. The reality of it all was starting to sink in, that Nick was gone.
"But I said it, Bri. I still said that to him. It was a stupid fight anyways." AJ replied, looking away and wiping his eyes. The two of them called Nick's name all afternoon until Howie and Kevin showed up.
"Hey, Kaos." Kevin said as he ruffed Nick's hair playfully. Nick didn't stir, his heart monitor beeped in reply.
"You are a dickhead, Kevin." AJ said suddenly. Howie and Brian exchanged looks, suprised that he would pick a fight with Kevin here.
"What is it now? I am not the one who said they can pull the plug." Kevin stated angrily.
"Nick is going to die! Can't you see that? He is coming back, he is just lost!" AJ yelled.
"He is ready to go and its the doctor's orders, not mine."
"Bullshit! That is fucking bullshit."
"AJ, stop it! You aren't helping matters."
"Nick will die...."
"Calm yourself, Jay. Nick is ready. His vitals keep dropping and he is still in the coma. He isn't coming back," Kevin shouted back, tears in his eyes as well. While this was going on, Brian could have sworn Nick was squeezing his hand back.
"You're too busy being the goddamn boss! Nick is in there!" AJ hollered as Howie was trying to quiet him down. Brian was praying under his breath and holding Nick's hand. Nick's eyelids fluttered but after a minute he was still again.
"Maybe he is right, Kevin. Can't we wait a little longer?" Brian begged.
"Look, I want him back as much as the rest of you. His parents want this done, there isn't anything I can do. This is killing me to see Nicky like this," Kevin cried.
"Kev, he moved." Brian said suddenly, as he felt Nick squeeze his hand again.
"Nick! Nick, come back!" AJ shouted, shaking his shoulder gently. Nick didn't move again after that and the guys left, but AJ stayed behind.
"Come on, its getting lAte." Kevin said, waving for him to come to the door.
"I am not leaving his side. Backstreet Boys stick together." AJ said. Kevin walked out and smiled, but he didn't have the heart to tell AJ that they were pulling the plug on Nick the next morning.