- Text Size +
Arriving in Europe I felt like I was about burst at the seams. I met Q from security who filled me in one what the guys were doing that day and how I would fit into that picture. It was pretty overwhelming to suddenly be thrown into the whirl wind otherwise known as a tour. Everything around me seemed to be moving a hundred miles a minute. As we arrived at the hotel I was completely taken aback by the swarms of girls waiting outside the hotel. I had no idea they were waiting for the guys until I asked Q who was staying here and he laughed “We are”! Amazed that all these people would be here for my friends I was anxious to get inside and find out first hand from them what the hell I had been missing. I had been trying to keep up on their career as much as I could be back in the States but there wasn’t much buzz for boy bands yet and it was difficult to get any information on what was happening here. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that their album had already gone gold. That was the most amazing news I heard about them so far. But it only got better. They were selling out shows left and right and had fans following them everywhere they went. They even needed personal security guards! I couldn’t have asked for more for them. To think that all this was happening and not even a year ago we were all sitting in a recording studio making up stories about what they hoped would happen for them in the future. Let me just say that none of those stories even compared to what I was experiencing that day.

However, my excitement quickly faded when I was finally ushered into their hotel room. I was shocked to find the guys sprawled out a couple beds completely passed out. I looked over at Q with a questioning look and he informed me that the guys hadn’t gotten in until about three hours ago and had been up since 6am the previous day. I couldn’t believe it! I expected to walk into the room and see the guys hanging out chatting and laughing about all that they had accomplished and then rush up to give me hugs and gush about it all. But here they were utterly exhausted! I wasn’t sure what to do so I decided it would be best to let them rest but as I was putting down my suitcase Kevin must have heard me and started to wake up. I encouraged him to go back to sleep but being the persistent guy he is wouldn’t think twice about leaving me alone while I was there to visit them. Immediately he started to wake up the other guys much to my dismay as he came over to give me the biggest hug I could have ever asked for. It was then as the guys were rousing from their sleep that I got my first good look at them again and I was surprised to see how much they had changed. I mean yes they had been gone for almost a year and I’m sure I had changed too but I guess I hadn’t really expected it.

I instantly realized that Nick had changed the most. He was so much taller and looked like he could have easily been three years older. Alex, now sporting some of his first tattoos, was starting to show signs of his gradual change into the “bad boy” image most people know him by. Howie had a new hairdo but for the most part seemed like same “Sweet D” I knew and loved. Kevin hadn’t changed very much and the second I looked at Brian I knew I could have picked him out of a crowd. But the biggest change I noted in them all was how worn down they all looked and that concerned me. Here they were looking completely drained when they should have been enjoying every last minute of this.

It didn’t take them long to perk up though and start telling me all the crazy stories they already had from the road. Even though they were tired, I could tell they were having the time of their life. And I could see a sparkle in all of their eyes that reassured me that they were happy. And that was all I could ask for. Brian and I were able to find some time alone and he reminded me how much he cared for me. It was then that we finally brought closer to our relationship and agreed we were so much better off as friends. I will always care for Brian and I am so glad that he was first person I ever loved and I know that he and I will share a special place in each others hearts always. Nick and I wasted no time falling back into our old ways too. It’s always so easy with him to just be myself. He really opened up to me during my visit telling me how he felt lonely sometimes and missed having me around. I knew it had to be tough to be on the road all alone. The guys had each other but sometimes they would get sick of each other and just needed family and friends around to make it all a little easier. I was glad to know that Nick wanted to lean on me in his time of need and I was ready and willing to be his shoulder to cry on. He made a promise to me during that visit that no matter what, he would always find time to call me at least once a week so that our friendship stayed strong. And I am happy to say that he fully lived up to his word and still calls me whenever he is on tour to this day, usually more than once a week to might I add.