- Text Size +
Unfortunately, not everything goes the way we plan. You see, Alex and I were just starting to turn a new page our life together and I truly believe were both happier than we had ever been. We were nearing the two year point of our relationship and the Backstreet Boys had decided to take some time off to recuperate after having spent the last eight years touring the world. Brian and Leighanne announced that they were expecting their first child which brought tears to my eyes because I knew how much of a great Dad Brian was going to be. Nick had decided to work on a solo album, which all the guys supported. Kevin and Howie wanted to spend time with family and AJ was focusing on his sobriety. Over the years I had somehow managed to stay focused on my passion for writing and had been working at a PR firm in California. Alex had just recently bought a house in Cali right near Nick so we were able to spend a lot of time together. Everything was going so well for everyone that I did not see the next curve ball life was about to throw me.

It had been about six months since the Backstreet Boys had decided to take a break and all the guys were getting a little antsy to see each other again so we all arranged a get together for a weekend to catch up. Brian and Leighanne, Kevin and Kristin and Howie and Leigh were all flying into Cali for five days. I was excited to see them again and I knew AJ was too. One night after going to dinner we all gathered at Alex’s place to just hang out. The guys had managed to challenge each other to a game of poker so the girls decided to chat in the kitchen and leave the boys to be. I was having a blast hanging out with my girls. And there was even a new addition to our little clan. Nick had been seeing a girl named Chrissie for about four months and had invited her to our get together. I assumed she must have been pretty serious for him to introduce her to all of us, and at one time no less. I could tell she was a little overwhelmed by it all but I had been in her shoes once before so I knew how she felt. All in all she seemed like a nice girl.

It had been about an hour and we could hear the guys getting pretty worked up over the poker game they had going on. I decided it was time for a break and figured what guy doesn’t love beer so in I walked with a six pack of beer and a bag of chips. But what I found took me completely off guard. The guys were so engrossed in their game to even realize I had come in the room. It was the quintessential image of a guy’s night. All five of them were huddled around the table, cards and poker chips were strew everywhere and what looked to big a very large sum of money had been piled in the centre of the table. Nick and Alex were smoking which meant the game had to pretty intense because Nick only ever smoked when he was pissed off or really needed to relax. Every moment that passed their voices seemed to rise a little more. I could tell Howie was bluffing by the look on his face and just soon as I had thought so he folded his cards. Brian was very clam, as usual and looked on with an amused smile before throwing in his cards as well. Kevin took a second to contemplate his move before forfeiting his turn. It was down to Nick and AJ and if I was betting my life on it this was not going to end well. Both of them were stubborn as a mule. I knew this was too much to pass up so instead of approaching I leaned against the wall to watch on with a small smirk on my face. That might have been my biggest mistake ever.

You see, as the years had gone by Nick and I always seemed to remain great friends. I would even say he was probably my best friend out of them all. We always seemed to have this special bond that I could never really explain. And it had never crossed that friendship line which I was grateful for. Although, from the beginning I was with Brian and not long after that I ended up with AJ so there wasn’t really any time to consider being any more than friends. And that’s not to say I wasn’t happy with AJ because I was. We had made it through so many things together and he never ceased to amaze me everyday. So why was it that at that moment, I felt a sudden attraction to Nick? There he was, sitting with such an intense expression on his face, a cigarette in one hand, cards in the other and smirking every time he took a glance at the cards and then back up to AJ. He was wearing a pair of jeans and a casual shirt with the first few buttons undone showing just a hint of chest. His hair was disheveled but in a way that you knew he took time to get it just right. And when he caught me standing in the doorway his blue eyes seemed to pierce right through me. I had to stop myself from starring and mentally kicked myself for even considering such thoughts when I knew very well Nick would only ever be my friend. Not to mention the fact that one of his best friends, who just happened to be my boyfriend, was sitting in the very same room not a foot away from us.

I decided now was a good time to interrupt as I walked up to the table informing the boys their game had gone on long enough and it was time to call it a night. AJ whined that they were in the heat of the moment and to give them more time while Nick just looked up at me with a devious little smirk and a glint in his eyes. I would dare say that at that moment I too was caught up in the heat of the moment but it definitely did not involve a poker game. I had to once again stop myself from starring too long back at Nick and encouraged that they finish the game and start paying us girls some attention. He reluctantly agreed and threw his cards down to reveal his hand. Nick to a quick glance over and with a loud “HA” triumphantly showed his winning hand. The guys then began cleaning up the game all while AJ pouted, adamant that Nick had somehow cheated. I couldn’t help but laugh at them feeling somewhat proud of how far they had all come together and everything they had overcome. As I headed back to the kitchen I took a quick glance back at the guys only to find myself starring directly into Nick’s eyes once again. It was then I realized that that there may be a few more things we are going to have to overcome before all was said and done.