- Text Size +

~*~Nick’s point of view~*~

Brian had a knack at bringing out the worst in me. I was about to tell Kevin myself that I couldn’t go to lunch. That I had plans with Brian that were too important to miss.

But he’d tried to step in and make the decision for me. It was kind of ironic that, because he was treating me like a child who couldn’t make his own decisions, I’d acted like one. It was only a few hours delay, though; he could’ve waited, instead of acting like it was the end of the world. When had Brian become like a Mr. Doomsday?

I tried to put it out of my mind. I followed Kevin into a sandwich shop. And I’ll admit: I was curious to see who Kevin had pegged as Brian’s soulmate. Did she play professional basketball? Burst into song at odd moments? Crack herself up with her own jokes?

The interior was decorated with colorful tables and framed pictures on the walls of celebrities who’d eaten here. The chairs were on the small side. I was about to groan at the thought of having to cram my legs under the table and hunch on the chair when I realized whose body I was in.

Not a problem. Heck, I could probably fit in one of the highchairs.

There were two girls sitting at a corner table, and they greeted Kevin.

“Brian, this is Kelly,” he said, and I nodded my head towards her. “And this is Madeline.”

“Hi,” I said. I took the empty seat next to her and Kevin on my other side.

Kelly was tall and slender, with thick, blonde hair cut above her shoulders and a very sophisticated look about her. This was a casual eatery, and a casual lunch, but she wore a khaki skirt and a small pearl necklace.

Her friend Madeline was a little shorter. Perfect for Brian, I thought smiling. She also had blonde hair, although hers was long and straight. Her eyes were a light shade of green, and she was dressed sportier than Kelly, with tennis shoes, shorts, and a simple tank top. Still, there was an indescribable beauty about her.

“Have you guys ordered yet?” Kevin asked.

“No, we were waiting for you,” Kelly answered. She glanced meaningfully at Madeline, who was looking out the window. “Why don’t you and I go on up? Maddie already told me what she wanted.

Kevin took the hint and nodded. “You want the usual, Brian?”

I had no idea what that was; I hadn’t known he and Brian had ever been here before. Nevertheless, I nodded. Madeline and I were left to ourselves.

“Umm…” Well this was awkward. I wasn’t used to meeting girls in such quiet settings. What was I supposed to say to her? Especially since this was the potential future Mrs. Brian Littrell. I had to make the first impression for him.

“Wussup?”

Crap.

I hadn’t meant to slur the words. Actually, I hadn’t meant to say that at all.

Madeline gave me an odd look but laughed a little. “The ceiling? Wussup with you?” she asked with a laugh.

She was quick like Brian, too. I smiled sheepishly.

“I hear you guys are back in the studio. Making another CD, huh?”

“Yeah.”

“It was a pretty long break. Although I guess when you guys come together, it’s like no time has passed at all, right?” she prompted.

“Mm-hmm.” What was wrong with me? Speak, Carter, I commanded myself. Was it so hard to have a simple conversation?

“So… you’re best friends with Kelly? How long have you known her?”

Phew. That was better. But I didn’t even listen to her answer. I was trying to think of what Brian would say, were he here, as she went through the story. Finally, I came up with something. He’d probably be making her laugh.

“Do you wanna hear a joke?”

She paused, and I realized that she’d just finished speaking. Transitions weren’t my forte today. “Sure. Lay it on me.”

It was then that I realized, of course, that I didn’t know any jokes. Not off the top of my head. Luckily, Kevin and Kelly returned. Kevin handed me half a sub and a drink. Upon closer inspection, I saw that it was sweet tea. Man, Brian and his southern version of it, drowning it in sugar. I was hoping Kevin was going to hand me the other half of the sub, but he’d only gotten me the six inch. Oh, well, free meal.

And they couldn’t have come back sooner. I tried to give Kevin a look that said “don’t ever leave me again.” Which was not something I ever thought I’d say to him.

“Do you have something in your eye?”

Attempt at nonverbal expression? Fail.

We started eating. I managed to take a few sips of the grossly over sugared tea- which most places didn’t even serve in Florida. No wonder Brian liked this joint. Madeline worked in retail at the mall- she was an assistant manager at a clothing store. She lived near the store, on the outskirts of downtown Orlando.

“Did you finally kick your roommate out?” Kelly was asking Madeline when I zoned back into the conversation.

“Yeah. Thank goodness! She was crazy,” she explained to Kevin and I, rolling her eyes. “The one thing I can’t stand with people is dishonestly. This girl loved to come up with stories on why she couldn’t pay the rent. Every month it was something different.”

“Oh,” Kevin laughed, “tell her about the aunt. That was my favorite excuse.”

Madeline smiled and said, “Brian, you should’ve heard her go on about her sick aunt. Maria, that’s my roommate, was telling me how she’d had to take several days off work to go take care of her. Her paycheck was small from all of the time she was nursing the aunt. Blah, blah, blah. She needed a break on her rent because of helping family. Wouldn’t I do the same thing in her position? Especially since her aunt might not have a lot of time left.” Madeline mimicked the girl’s overly dramatic voice, making appropriate gestures throughout the story.

“What’d her aunt have? Or, supposedly have?” I asked.

Scoliosis.”

I forced myself to laugh. Kevin whispered in my ear scoliosis was, and then I sincerely laughed. “Are you kidding?”

Madeline shook her head. “I don’t know what disease she’s mixing it up with either. Maria’s not the brightest crayon in the box.”

I laughed. “Well, at least she’s gone now.”

“Not a moment too soon. I think I’m going to turn her room of the apartment into an office. I can’t deal with any more crazy people. You wouldn’t believe these girls I’ve lived with.”

“You’re telling us you have to deal with crazy girls?” Kevin raised an eyebrow, smiling.

“Oh, right,” Madeline laughed. It was infectious. “I forgot who I was talking to for a second!”

“Her mom sure could cook though,” Kelly pointed out. “I’ll miss the leftovers she’d bring to us.”

“Yeah,” Madeline agreed. “The Italian? That’s my favorite kind. What about you guys?” she tried to bring us back into the conversation.

“Anything my mom makes,” Kevin said. “There’s nothing like a home-cooked meal. Especially in the days when we were on the road all of the time.”

I realized they were all waiting for me to answer. It was such a simple question, too. What was Brian’s favorite food? She’d just said she hated dishonestly, too. Who knew a double date could be so stressful?

I stared. Man, Madeline was going to think that Brian was retarded.

“Um, is there a restroom here?” I abruptly turned to Kevin.

His eyes widened. No transition, once again. “Yeah, to the left of the register.”

I headed that direction. They were sitting by the front door, so they were out of sight. Maybe I could just feign food poisoning and head home? No, I decided. Madeline would think Brian had water butt or something. That was only going to make my, and therefore his, first impression worse.

If that was even possible at this point.

Just then, my prayers were answered in the form of a teenybopper. I heard the familiar melody of Quit Playing Games. A preteen was sitting at a table by herself, texting.

“Hi!” I said, sitting down next to her without thinking.

“Oh my gosh,” she breathed. “Brian Littrell? I was just…” she held up her phone, blushed, and shoved it in her purse.

“Yeah. Hey,” I said. “Listen, can you do me a favor?”

“Sure!” she said eagerly.

“What do you know about me?”

She stared. “What do you mean?”

“Anything. Favorite color? Food? Vacation spot? Whatever! I’m… it’s a long story. But please. Just keep talking.”

I didn’t know Brian very well anymore, not since the break. And I’d never paid attention to the little things that fans seemed to cling to. Why did I need to ask his favorite color when we were working out pranks on the stage crew? Or his favorite TV show when we were working on harmony?

I started soaking in the facts she was throwing at me. It took a little convincing, and she still looked confused, but just as I’d hoped, she seemed to be a Backstreet encyclopedia. Sandra Bullock was my favorite actress. I slept in a waterbed I’d purchased at a yard sale. Blue was my favorite color. My favorite show was The Fresh Prince of Bel-air.

“Hasn’t that been off the air for like a decade?”

“Well, yeah…” she said sheepishly. “Then what’s your favorite show now?”

“Um. Desperate Housewives.” I don’t know why that was the first show that had come to mind. Did guys watch that show?

“Brian? What are you doing?” Kevin demanded.

“Oh,” I said. “Just talking with a fan. Here,” I grabbed a napkin, and she dug a pen from her pocket. I had to cross out the “N” I’d written in my haste, but finally handed her Brian’s autograph.

“Your handwriting’s different than it used to be,” she commented.

Jeez, the fans could recognize our handwriting?

I returned with Kevin, wondering how much more I could screw up Brian’s date.

“Macaroni.”

Madeline looked up from the conversation she was having with Kelly.

“My favorite food,” I added. “Macaroni and cheese.”