- Text Size +

~*~Nick’s point of view~*~

“What’s wrong with your voice?” Kevin asked me.

“Um, what do you mean?” I replied.

We were in the studio, and we were recording our first possible song for the album. Brian was already looking at his watch, wondering when we were going to get out of here and make it back to the Skull Shop- which I’d dubbed it, since

A. It sounded cool and was fitting since the skull was the reason why we’d be wasting a day there, and

B. I kept forgetting the actual name.

I wanted to be singing the chorus, since that was where the song picked up. It was catchier and had more of a “rock” beat. Perfect for me. Which was exactly why they’d given it to…

“Me.” Only I was reaping the benefits at the moment. I’d been given a verse, and it was softer and higher than I was used to. As Brian, it should’ve been easier for me, I suppose. But I was trying to sing… my way with his voice. It wasn’t coming out pretty. And Kevin had no problem pointing it out.

“You sound like you stabbed your voicebox with a number two pencil.”

“Well, as long it was a number two. Imagine what a cheap number one pencil would’ve done?” I shot back. I was tired of standing in the booth recording, and then getting criticized for my efforts.

Brian came to my aid, if only for ulterior motives. “We’re all bound to be a little out of practice. It’s been awhile since we’ve been in the studio. And we don’t want N-Brian hurting his voice…”

“Like he could sound any worse,” Kevin muttered.

“So maybe we should call it a day?”

Howie stepped in, “We’re never going to get anywhere if we keep cutting it short. We haven’t worked a full day yet this week.”

“Yeah,” Kevin agreed, turning to the producer and giving him the nod.

“Um… how about we try AJ’s verse?”

“Sounds good,” AJ nodded, and went into the recording booth.

The producer turned his attention to him.

“You know,” Kevin commented, “I’m usually on his case.” He jerked his head to Brian, meaning Nick. Figures that even in a different body I couldn’t escape the wrath of Kevin. I managed a weak laugh and promised I’d start working harder to getting my voice back into shape.

I was looking forward to watching Brian get the same treatment when it was his turn, but to my dismay, he didn’t seem to have any trouble adjusting to my singing voice.

“Sounds good Nick,” Kevin sounded surprised. The producer agreed. We were talking to him through the speaker at this point. He pushed the button again and said, “You can come on out of there, Nick. I got what I needed.”

“Thanks for your work today, Andy,” AJ told him.

“No problem, man. I’m just going to work on some mixes today, if you guys want to head on out of here.” Brian looked relieved. Almost two hours had passed since he’d suggested that. “Come on,” he said to me.

On our way outside, I asked, “How come I had so much trouble being you, but you flew right through the chorus?”

Brian shrugged. “I imitate you guys all the time. This was extra easy.”

“Oh,” I said, then thought about what he said. “You imitate me?”

“All four of you,” he said. Then he added, “And… everybody else on the planet. It’s nothing personal.” He opened the door and headed out into the parking lot.

I put on my sunglasses. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky, and the heat was beating down on us. “What do you do when you’re me?”

Brian raised an eyebrow, motioning to his body. “Just about everything right now.”

“You know what I mean!”

He just laughed, but he wouldn’t tell me. A little pouty, I followed him to the car. “I still don’t see why you had to pick me up this morning. I’m not a little kid.”

Brian gave me a look, and I knew what he was thinking. He didn’t trust me not to bail on him again. We had already not been able to go the last two days; while we hadn’t worked the full days in the studio that Howie had wanted, we’d had meetings and had needed to deal with the “business” side of the record. As Brian unlocked the doors and started to get into his jeep, AJ came out.

Looking at me he said, “You’re letting Nick drive your car? You never let anyone drive it. You’re so paranoid something will happen to it.”

A wicked grin spread my face. “You’re right, AJ. What was I thinking?”

Brian tilted his head and gave me a look. “Brian.”

“No, sorry. No exceptions. Not even for you, Frack.”

I walked over to the driver’s of the side and wrenched the keys from his hands. Lowering my voice, I said, “This is my impression of you driving.” I grinned. Brian angrily went to the passenger’s side. “Thanks a lot, AJ.”

AJ quickly retreated to his own car, and Brian gave me directions to the Skull Shop.

~*~Brian’s point of view~*~

“I cannot believe you!” I shouted. “Look at that!”

“It’s microscopic,” he argued. “I am really, really, really sorry.”

“Yeah, so you’ve said.”

We had made it through the entire ride here, though I didn’t think I’d breathed the whole way. It wasn’t until we were parking that it had happened. I heard a slight bump. Nick’s “oops” soon followed.

He’d pulled into the space too far, while singing along to the radio, trying to better imitate my voice better, but still sounding off. The music distracted him so that he didn’t hit the brakes fast enough.

“Brian, I’ll pay for it. I’m sorry,” he said, looking sincere. “And hey… we’re even now.”

“Even? Even for what?”

“For…” he tried to think of something. “You insisting on driving me! And for doing impersonations of me. And… well, other stuff. I just can’t think of them at the moment.”

I was too angry to say anything else about it. “Come on,” I said, heading across the street. “That’s the store right there.”

“Hey. Had a good week?” Kate looked up.

“Yeah,” I said. “Listen, there’s a book I was wondering if you could order for me?”

She nodded and headed back behind the cash register, logging into the computer. I dug the piece of paper with the information out of my pocket and handed it to her.

Kate started doing a search on the computer. “You do like your skulls, don’t you?” she gave me a half smile.

“Long story.”

“So you’ve said,” Kate answered. “I do have some good news, though.”

“Really? I could sure use some at the moment.”

“I talked to my grandmother yesterday. She’s cutting her trip short. Gran should be back sometime next week.”

I looked at Nick to make sure he’d heard. “Did you hear that?”

“Thank God.”

Kate was looking from me to him and vice versa, trying to figure out where she’d seen us before.

“This is Nick,” I said, still thinking about the news.

“You mean Brian.”

“What?”

Nick raised his eyebrows. “You’re Nick.”

“Oh, right. This is Brian,” I said. “Is the book coming up?”

“Um…” Kate was looking at me like I was crazy. “Yeah, it’s in stock in a warehouse nearby, actually. It won’t take long to come in. Can I have your phone number?”

“Huh?”

She laughed, and said, “To put into the system. So I can call you when the book gets here.”

Nick was snickering behind me.

“Oh, right,” I said, and gave it to her. Speaking of numbers, my phone rang. “Sorry, one minute,” I told Kate and answered it. “Hello?”

“Hey… Nick? Can I talk to Brian?”

“Right,” I said. “Nick, it’s for you,” I threw him my phone.

When I turned back around, Kate was studying me again. “I thought you were Nick?”

“Excuse me?”

“Nick Carter, right? At least I thought. No offense, but I get you guys confused sometimes,” Kate said. Then quickly added, “But I love the music! You have some great songs… sorry,” she said again.

I laughed. “No problem. And you’re not… well… Brian, Nick. I’ll answer to either these days.”

She laughed. “I didn’t mean that you guys look alike or anything. I’m sorry, I just talk before I think. All the time. It’s a real problem I have.”

“So is apologizing,” I laughed.

“I’m sor-” she laughed again and caught herself. “I’ll add that to my list of flaws. Anyway,” she turned back to the computer. “Like I said, the book shouldn’t take too long to come in.”

I nodded happily. Between that and her grandmother coming back next week, things were looking brighter than they had all week. I would read the book, talk to her grandmother. There was finally a plan.

“Thanks so much, Kate,” I told her, looking to see if Nick was off the phone with AJ.

“No problem. I’ll talk to you soon.”

I nodded and headed toward the door.

“We’re not going to play librarians today like you did last time you were here?” Nick wondered, handing back my cell phone.

“No need to, if that book has the information we want. I’m being hopeful. What did AJ want?”

“He says you borrowed a pair of sunglasses from him, and he needs them back tomorrow for a date.”

“That man has how many pairs of sunglasses and he needs the specific ones that are at my house?”

“I asked him the same thing. AJ said they match his outfit the best.”

I laughed at the absurdity and made a mental note to bring them with me tomorrow.

“Hold up,” Nick stopped dead in his tracks as we were about to cross the street.

“What?”

Nick pointed to a girl on the sidewalk, walking in our direction. I guessed by the look on his face that he knew her, and she seemed his type. Tall, blonde, skinny and wearing a short skirt and halter top.

“That’s Janie.”

“Who?”

He shook off my question. “No one you know. I met her through some friends a few times. I’ve been wanting to go out with her, but she had a boyfriend. They broke up recently though,” he sounded hopeful.

“Well now isn’t the best time for you to start dating her, unless she’s blind,” I pointed out. “And as there’s no seeing eye dog leading her, I’m guessing that’s not the case. Let’s go before she sees us.”

Nick grabbed my arm to stop me again. “I’m not saying to ask her out. Just say hi and be nice. Please.”

It wasn’t long before she spotted us. “Hey Nick,” she said. She was chewing a huge piece of gum, so her voice sounded chompy.

“Hey,” I said, attempting to sound nice, but I could hear the apathy in my voice.

“Hey, listen,” she said. “Can I talk to you for a minute?” Janie eyed Nick, obviously wanting a minute alone.

“Um,” Nick looked disappointed in having to leave. “I’ll be over here.” He went to stand on the corner, gazing purposefully at a shop across the street. I could tell that he could still hear us though.

“I guess you heard that I broke up with Steve?”

I nodded.

“Does that offer to go out sometime still stand?” she asked curiously, twirling a strand of long, blonde hair between her fingers.

I grinned. “Sure does.”

“Really? Great?”

Nick had wanted to see me impersonate him, my smile widened. “I think you made a good choice.”

“Over Steve, you mean?” she tilted her head to the side.

I nodded and said, “If you want it to be wild, gotta know just who to dial, baby.”

She stared at me for a second. “Excuse me?”

“If you really like it hot, someone who hits the spot,” I shrugged, mustering up an overly confident expression.

“Look at the time,” she glanced at her wrist, which only had a bracelet on it. “I have to get going.”

“But you didn’t get my number,” I said as she walked away.

“Seven digits. Start guessing and maybe you’ll get there eventually.”

I laughed, not expecting her to have any wit.

Nick looked exasperated. “What was that?”

“For the night club, and for my jeep. Oh, and for that date you went on as me. Now we’re even.”