- Text Size +
CHAPTER 1
“Married! Married? Me, married to him! But, we don’t like each other! He’s a liar, a jerk, a…a…”

“Go on.”

“The other things I have to say, I can’t.” I huffed out. Frustrated, annoyed, fuck, even really pissed off was my only feelings right now.

“Well, you have to stay together for at least six months before you can even file for divorce.” I gasped at my best friend.

“You have to be kidding. I can not live with that conceited jack ass for no six months.”

“Resa, why did you marry him in the first place?”

“I have no clue. I wasn’t drinking yesterday Kathy.” She only shrugged her shoulders. “Six months of living with Howie Dorough?”

“Yes. Rules we have in France.” I just glared at her. “Your choice to get married here.”

“Yes, but it was your birthday party that I was celebrating.”

“Sorry, no more parties.” I sighed and shook my head.

“It’s not your fault and I know that. But, it’s just the thought. I don’t like him Kathy.”

“You know what Resa, just give it some time. As it goes, he starts touring here shortly.” I smiled.

“You’re right. And he’ll be gone for a large portion of time.”

“So, all is good.”

-----
“AJ, why the fuck do I have this band on my finger?” AJ glanced at the wedding band that was now so nicely placed on his friend’s finger and a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

“Because you’re married.”

“To whom?”

“Resa. Don’t you remember?” His eyes opened wide. “I take that as a no.”

“I woke up with a killer headache, but no memory of what happened.”

“You didn’t drink at Kathy’s party?”

“No.” AJ just shrugged. “I can get a divorce.”

“No. Not if you were married here.”

“What in the world do you mean?”

“People would get married for the hell of it and with in months would divorce. So, they passed a law that stated you weren’t allowed to get a divorce until after six months. They figured if you could stay together for six months, you could make a marriage work. So, with that law passed, more marriages worked out.”

“Than when I go back home I can get a divorce.”

“No.” Howie just rolled his eyes, his frustrating
building.

“Do you realize how much I despise that woman. The way her sweet voice rakes my nerves, the way her smile is always so handy, the way she walks into the room, her all mighty head held high. Oh, and above all, I loath her personality.” AJ had to laugh to himself, knowing this plan had to work otherwise he was screwed. His girlfriend, Kathy of course, and himself had come up with a simple idea. A simple idea that had to work!

“Are you so sure you hate her?”

“Oh, hell yes. I just, ugh, she makes me so angry. Always claiming she’s right, never thinking to ask for help. Fuck AJ, the list can go on.”

“Sorry man, don’t have the time to hear.” Howie got up from the table and raked his fingers through his hair that was now short.

“I don’t get it. Why would we get married if we don’t like each other?” AJ just shrugged his shoulders, yet his mind just congratulating him on this goal.

-----
15 minutes, I had to stay with this man for another 15 minutes! We had barely been together for ten and I wanted to kill him. I truly can not recall why the hell I would marry someone like him. His eyes bore into mine and I was clenching my fists. Now, the good part, how was I to explain this to the world? My fans are well aware that I printed enough stories and articles to prove my dislike for Howard. Yet, never truly making him look so bad in the public eye. He sighed and my eyes looked him over. BORING! ANNOYING! ASSHOLE! The words that came to mind when I looked him over. He never changed, and never would. Truly never would. Never wanted to get married, never wanted kids. How can two people so different, get married? I shook my head, my leg slightly swaying.

“Look, Resa…” My eyes bore into his.

“Do not call me that name. You do not have that right.”

“I think I do, seeing how I’m your husband.”

“But not by my consent damn it.” I sighed, my anger boiling.

“Nor mine. Yet, we don’t have a choice. It’s six months till we can file for divorce.”

“Which that means in those six months, you stay the fuck away from me!”

“That’s going to be hard to explain to them, isn’t it?” he asked, pointing to the press who were waiting for a statement from the two of us. “Look, we have to bear with each other and I will not be the laughing stock.”

“Like I choose to be?”

“I’m sure you don’t Theresa. We have to deal with each other and after much thought,” I rolled my eyes, “I figured we would show up in public when the time calls for it. My award shows, concerts, little other shit.”

“Excuse me Howard, have you forgotten that I can not possibly be by your side? I have my own magazine to run and to edit. I’m the one who reports, not the one who hangs on arms.”

“For a couple nights, I’m sure everything will be fine. Look, we have to make this work for them, it’s not truly up to us. Unless you want them to be right, and seeing how you hate most of the press people, I would say you’d want to prove them wrong.” Put in that light, I had no choice but to agree to go along with this little joke. That’s what it was, just a fuckin’ joke on the two of us. I sighed and nodded my head. And than, as an afterthought, something bounced in my mind. The fact that Howie knew something so personal about me.

“You’re right. Of course, I would love nothing more than that.” Without realizing it, I flashed a smile at him. “Shall we Mr. Dorough?”

“Of course Mrs. Dorough.” His hand reached out for mine and lifted me up. ‘Resa Dorough’ my mind thought. It tumbled around in my mind and I smiled. It sounded completely nice. I shook my head, not understanding where the fuck that I idea that came from. We were being civil, the most important thing in order to survive this thing, this relationship.

-----
“Back home!” I yelled as we stepped off the plane. Just four days ago, I was married. In those four days, I saw Howie only once. That was rather nice on both ends I’m sure.

“Shh, don’t attract attention to yourself,” Howie said.

“I’m sure it won’t be me. After all, you’re the Backstreet Boy.”

“It must eat you up that I make more money than you do.” I shrugged my shoulder.

“I don’t care how much you make, actually.”

“Than it gets to you that our name made your magazine.” That crossed the line and he damn well knew it. I turned around and glared at him.

“It was my fuckin’ hard work that got me my name. Not the Backstreet Boys. Or, did you forget that before you, I had plenty of hit stars come out?”

“No, but it wasn’t a big seller till you printed us in there. Face it, ICE Magazine was not all that.”

“Do you realize that if we weren’t in this airport, I would fuckin’ slap you and enjoy it to no degree?”

“I figured.” He took my elbow and planted a smile on this face. “But seeing how we’re married and already people are looking as us, you must contain that urge. Put a smile on, pretend you’re happy to be back home.” I wrapped my arm around his waist, loathing the close touch we were having. Yet, a smile was on my face and I kept my head down. Once we reached the awaiting limousine, Howie told it to take us to his house.

“Oh, no, I have things at my house.” He sighed and just quickly glanced at me.

“Theresa, in order to make it work, you have to stay at my house. You do not have to sleep in the same bed however. The press are going to be watching us very closely damn it, or did you forget that they tend to do that.” A red color over took my cheeks. Sure, being the press wasn’t half that bad, but there were numerous people who gave the other reporters a very bad name.

“Not all press people are like that Howie.”

“No, they’re not Resa. You have proven yourself not to be like that.”

“Thank you.” A smile came upon my face, not one that I had to plant there.

“As it goes, I rather enjoy your writing. You always seem to put some new kind of twist on something. Makes things interesting, more fun.” Did he just pay me a compliment?

“Thank you Howie.” A smile was placed on his face and I knew that wasn’t fake either.

“We’re here.” I glanced up at his house. Truly wonderful and okay, maybe staying here wouldn’t be all that bad.