- Text Size +
CHAPTER 2
“WHAT?” In less than one week, I was dealt two blows that totally changed my life. One, I married Howie and no, I can’t get over it. The second, their tour was canceled. Of course, for the life of me, my mind could not grasp that idea nor the reason why.

“Theresa, it’s like I’m totally happy with that either.”

“Well, of course not. That means we have to stay together, we have to go out together. In other words, we’re screwed.” His eyes softened and he started laughing. “What?”

“Nothing.”

“Damn it Dorough, what?”

“Screwed, just sounds good right now!” I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

“Well, you can look else where to get laid.”

“Well, no I can’t.”

“Why?” He raised his ring finger and flashed it before my eyes. “Like I could forget that!”

“I took the vows.”

“Oh, ugh!” I turned around and stomped upstairs, slamming the door behind me.

-----
One month, just one month we’ve been together! I could feel his eyes on me and yet I wouldn’t turn to look at him. He’s presence had annoyed me and I wasn’t talking to anyone. There was something behind me and him getting married. It just didn’t make sense. I mean, why? We were always fighting, well, for the most part. There were times we got along. Rare though, very rare. I sighed, throwing the calendar on the table and looked at D.

“Yes?”

“Do you know how cute you are when your upset?”

“This is not funny. We’ve been married for a month.”

“Never thought I would picture my married life quite like this.”

“You had planned on getting married?”

“Oh, of course. Just the timing. I was always busy and when I get married, I want to be able to spend time with my wife. Not this see you in three months bit. It doesn’t make me happy. And I don’t think I could do that to my kids.”

“You want kids?”

“Of course. I adore kids.” I glanced at my wedding band, finding my self playing with it. “Why?”

“Just had you pegged wrong. Didn’t think you ever wanted to get married. Thought you enjoyed those women falling at your feet.”

“Sure. I am a man, I won’t deny it. But I want the married life more than anything. And you? Didn’t think an Ice Queen could get married.” My spine stiffened and I sat straighter. ‘Ice Queen huh? So, he did peg me as a bitch.’

“No, I do want marriage, kids, the whole lot. But, finding time, it’s hard. Finding the right person is even harder.”

“Looking for the soul mate?”

“Nah, just someone who respects me, who can make me laugh, make me smile, and stop the tears from flowing.”

“You want the perfect man.” I laughed and shook my head.

“There’s no such thing.” I stood up and walked over to the stove, turning it on.

“There is a such thing. Just like your soul mate, but you have to believe.”

“I don’t. I once did, but it burned me and I lost that sight. What would you like for dinner?” He softly touched my arm, turning me around and we locked eyes.

“You can’t lose sight of that Resa. Your soul mate is out there, you have to believe it.” His hand cupped my cheek and his soft brown eyes dropped down to my lips. He wanted to kiss me! But, but, but, but, he couldn’t. We were not supposed to want this, at all. His lips softly brushed mine. Ah, not so bad. His hand ran through my hair, his hand cupping my head and pulling me against him. Oh good Lord! His lips were softly upon mine and I sighed. His hand slid themselves around my waist and my arms wrapped themselves around his neck. His lips became urgent, his tongue seeking out mine. ‘No, this can’t not…oh, but you don’t…no,’ my mind was going back and forth, not knowing what it wanted to do. Our tongues caressed each other, our bodies straining to touch each other. Never before had a man’s kiss done that to me, burned me in such a fashion. And slowly, the sound of a bell was ringing through our ears. ‘No, go away, please go away’ my mind screamed at them, yet it didn’t heed my mind. The ringing still going. Howie pulled away and caught his breath. “I see the Ice Queen can burn others.” I narrowed my eyes, the passion lost between us. I stomped toward the door, opening it to find AJ and Kathy there.

“Everything okay?” Kathy asked.

“Of course, Ice Queen is doing wonderful while dip shit, is being dip shit.”

-----
“She’s getting to you? In what way?”

“Well, the things I pictured about her are wrong. She’s not the Ice Queen I took her as. She’s smart, funny, and quite the charmer.”

“D, are you actually liking this woman?”

“No AJ. But it’s nice being her friend.”

“Let me tell you something D. Theresa, she’s been hurt plenty of times by men. If she was an Ice Queen, that’s why.”

“No, she’s just an all around bitch.”

“D!”

“I mean that in the good light.” Howie laughed and took a sip of his beer.

“So, can I ask you a personal question?”

“What?”

“You slept with her?” Howie stopped his drink midway and looked at his friend.

“Blunt, aren’t ya? No, I haven’t. God, we can hardly be in the same room and not fight. We just kissed the first time just a few days ago.”

“What, a woman is actually resisting the Dorough charm?” Howie thought about it and smiled.

“Yeah, I suppose so.” Howie laughed and they talked some more about other things.

-----
“You kissed him?”

“Yes Kathy.”

“And you enjoyed it?” I sighed.

“Yes Kathy.”

“And yet you haven’t slept with him?”

“No Kathy. He’s still rather annoying.”

“But not repulsive?”

“He was never repulsive. He was, okay.”

“You know most girls tend to find him rather handsome.”

“Most girls do not know him.”

“And you do?”

“I’ve been married to him for a little over a month.”

“And you just stated you hardly talk to him. So, you can not possibly know the true Howie.”

“I do. Damn it, he’s not the sweet one that everyone proclaims him to be.”

“Yes he is. You just refuse to see that. But you know what, that’s your choice. You were given a gift, use it.” My eyes narrowed at her.

“Why are you in such favor of us getting married?”

“No reason. Just think he’s prefect for you.” She stood up, saying our lunch date was over. I followed her and once we bid goodbye, I drove to Howie’s house.