- Text Size +
I had been in a deep sleep when I was woken up to a hard kick on my shin. I opened my eyes and Ella was tossing and turning. “Get off…no…” Her words were quiet but I knew she was having a nightmare.

“Ella, Ella wake up,” I sat up and shook her gently. She sucked in a sharp breath and started to sit up. “Shh, it’s a dream.” I put my hands on her shoulders and she lay back down. Placing her palms over her eyes she let out a long sigh. She sat up, reached for the ground, picked up the tee shirt that I had removed only a few hours before and pulled it back on.

Ella swung her right leg over the bed and picked her left leg up with her hands and carefully put it over. Her head hung, both hands gripped the edge of the bed and I heard her sniffle.

“I’m sorry Nick.”

“Hey it’s alright.” I rubbed her back, propping up on an elbow. “You’ve been doing really well, it’s just because you saw him earlier.” The rain patted against the window steady.

“I feel like I have no control over myself.”

“Things will get better, they are. You had a setback today.” She turned and faced me; look of desperation on her face. I heard her stomach rumble and she placed her hands over it. “Hungry?” I asked giving a light laugh. “You only had a salad for dinner.”

“No.” She picked her left leg back up and brought her right one over with it; then lay back down with me.

“I think we should get your ankle looked at tomorrow if you can’t lift your leg. The bones may not be setting right.” She nodded her head and nuzzled her face into my chest.

“Get some sleep,” I kissed the top of her head and within minutes we both fell back to sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“Well, I have good news and bad news,” the Doctor told Ella walking in placing two xrays up on the light board.

“Good first,” Ella said raising her eye brow. Your right ankle is nearly healed. I’m going to go ahead and give you a walking boot and a pair of crutches. However, at first it’s going to be a lot of strain on it not being able to use your left foot at all. You’re going to want to keep the wheelchair for a while longer until it’s completely healed.”

“I can take off this walking boot?” she asked.

“Yes but not to walk. It needs to be on at all times except for bathing and sleeping and lying around on the couch. I’m going to set you up with a physical therapist start rehab.” I watched Ella’s expression and she just nodded.

“The bad news then?”

“Bad news is, your talus, which is this front bone right here is not healing at all. This could be a number of reasons. One is that there was too much damage to the tendons around it from healing properly. It could be just because it needs more time. Your tibia, that is right above your talus has also not set the way it should. This could be the main reason for the talus not healing.“

I tried to stay with the doctor the best I could, from what I was getting was that none of it was good. Ella seemed to understand what he was saying and I could see fear in her eyes. “You need to re-break the bone and if the talus doesn’t heal right; I may not be able to use my ankle like I should.”

“I’m afraid so. We can get you in tomorrow morning at eight. So after eight tonight, no eating or drinking. I’m going to go get some paper work for you to fill out and your boot and crutches.” He walked out of the room and I looked at Ella trying to read her.

“Good thing we came this morning,” I said standing up from the chair I was in.

“This sucks.”

“It does. I’m sorry babe.”

“There goes dancing.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Nick, another surgery. That means six to eight more weeks in a cast; that’s three months. That’s this summer. I’m twenty-five, my career is short as it is. I’m going to need at least six months of therapy.”

“It’s going to be alright. I promise you. Everything will work out how it’s supposed to.” I took her hands into mine and kissed her cheek.

“Alright, what I’m going to do is cut off both casts right now. I’m going to put a boot on your right food and a different kind of cast on your left. I want you to ice when you get home; an hour of ice, an hour off and keep going until you’re in bed. You’re actually going to want to do it with both legs; you’ll swell after I remove the casts. You are to get out of bed only to use the rest room and that is it.”

Ella let out a sigh and laid down on the table. “Let’s do it,” she said and I held her hand. The Doctor put on a pair of safety glasses and began to cut the right leg cast off. Five minutes later it was removed and he was onto her left leg. Ella squeezed my hand as the saw was toward the bottom of her foot.

“Should this hurt her?” I asked the Doctor worriedly.

“It’s going to be sore, especially this leg. That’s why it’s crucial to be careful without a plaster cast on today. Almost done,” he began prying the plaster off and set it to the side. He then gently began to examine both ankles. The right leg didn’t look to bad too me. A little discolor but compared to the left leg it looked great. Her left ankle was already swelling and was a deep blue/purple with yellow spots.

“I’ll have a nurse come in and wash you up a bit, let your legs air out a little before I put casts back on.”

He took the casts out with him as he left and Ella
remained lying down.

“You need shave girl.” I joked with her and she shot me a nasty look.

“I’m supposed to do nothing today?”

“Just one more day.”

“And then a day of being drugged up from anesthesia tomorrow.”

“How about today we watch any movies you want and I’ll get us a pizza.”

“Sounds good, but I should probably just have a salad.”

“Or both. You’re losing too much weight.”

“I’m totally gaining without being able to work out.”

“I’ll just work out later,” I winked at her and there was a knock on the door. A nurse came in with a bucket of warm soapy water.

“Hi there, I’m Jennifer and I bet you can’t wait to wash up. I’m even going to shave for you.”

“Good, she has more hair on her legs than me,” I laughed and she slapped me. “I’m going to go call A.J. he asked about you. I’ll be back in a couple minutes.” I told her and walked out of the room.

“You two been together for a while?” The nurse asked her as she began gently washing Ella’s legs.

“Not really.”

“Oh no? I know it when two people are in love and you two definitely are.” She laughed.

“It’s new.”

Fifteen minutes later Ella was cleaned up, her legs were smooth and the doctor was now wrapping her left leg up.

“Are they supposed to be throbbing this way?” Ella asked scrunching up her face.

“Yeah. Elevate and ice. I’m afraid no pain killers until after tomorrow. Alright you’re all set. So, no eating or drinking after eight be here tomorrow by seven and we’ll see about what we can do to get you fixed up.”

“Thank you,” Ella said and shook the Doc’s hand. I shook it as well and left the room.

“You ready?”

“Yeah, more than ready.”

“Okay, no moving your legs.”

“I couldn’t even if I wanted to,” she scrunched her nose up and wrapped her arms around my neck. I picked her up and gently set her down. She held her crutches as I pushed her out to the car.

~*~*~*~*~*
“Good morning sunshine,” I said to Ella as she struggled to open her eyes. “How are you feeling?”

“Sleepy,” her eyes fluttered.

“The surgery went well babe.”

“It’s all done?” She asked confused, her eyes closed.

“It’s all done. You got out about an hour ago. As soon as you’re up to it, I can take you home.” She nodded her head and fought to keep her eyes opened. “You can sleep some more, it’s alright.”

“I wanna go now,” she started to push herself up onto her elbows.

“Easy there,” I settled her down. “Let’s give you another hour. You’re pretty pale.” Her eyes closed and tears began streaming down her face. “Hey you, it’s alright. You’re okay. I’m not leaving.” I was now standing over her bed.

“She alright?” A nurse asked checking her vitals.

“She just started crying. I don’t know why?”

“Ella, are you in pain hon?” The nurse asked. Ella brought her hands up to her face, an IV in her left hand. “Sometimes the anesthesia makes people emotional.
I’ll give her a little more pain medication.”

“She said she just wanted to leave.”

“Who wants to stay in a hospital? I’ll just give her a little, not enough to keep her knocked out; although you’re going to want to make sure she takes her meds tonight to get sleep.”

I watched as the medicine went through her IV, into her blood stream, she began to relax and her eyes closed. I took her hand into mine again and thumbed it. I hated seeing her in pain and in this state. My phone began to vibrate in my pocket and I took it out to look at the number. Not recognizing it, I stepped out of the room to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Nick Carter please.” The voice spoke.

“This is he.”

“This is Lieutenant Michael, Tampa Bay PD.”

“Oh hi, how can I help you.”

“I just wanted to let you know we have Anthony in custody. He’s given his statement and confessed to being guilty.”

“Thank God. What’s going to happen now?”

“He’ll see a judge but I don’t believe that Ms. Ella Sawyer will have to testify.”

“Good news. She’s actually just getting done with another surgery for her leg from that bastard.”

“That’s too bad. Well, anything else comes up, I’ll be in contact.”

“Thank you Lieutenant.” I hung up the phone, let out a sigh of relief, closing my eyes briefly. It’s been a long few weeks and I was ready for this to be over. For Ella to go to sleep without fear. Forty-five minutes later, Ella was coherent enough to be taken home and a nurse helped me get her ready.

The cast they put on her this time came up a little higher, up to her knee. It was a pink cast that she had requested before going into surgery.

The short ride home, she had dozed off in the back seat.
I had left her wheel chair at home because there was no need for it. I pulled into the drive way and went to the front door to unlock and open it up to bring her inside.

I went back to my truck, opened the back seat and felt guilty for having to wake her up.

“Hey baby girl, we’re home,” I put her arm around my neck and gently began to slide her out.

“Mmm,” she moaned.

“You hurting?” I asked stopping what I was doing. She nodded her head and wrapped her other arm around me. “We’ll get you some pain killers when we get inside.” I pulled her out all the way, my arm went under her legs and I carried her inside; up into my room. She had on a tank top and a pair of cotton shorts and I lay her on the bed. I propped her leg up with two pillows; took out two pills for her to swallow and gave her some water.

“I have some good news if you’re up for it.” I smiled sitting next to her.

“So up for it,” she said.

“They got him Ella.” I told her and she cocked and eye brow at me. “Anthony’s in jail. You’re safe.” I thumbed her cheek.

“Really?”

“Yeah. I got the call today.” Ella gave a large grin and let her head fall back.

“I’m tired.”

“I know. I’m going to take a nap with you alright?”

“I’d like that.” I climbed into bed with her and within minutes we were both passed out.

~*~*~*~*~*~
“You sure you’re up for going out? You just had surgery yesterday. The guys will understand.”

“I’m fine, we’re just doing dinner. It’s a beautiful night out.” Ella said curling her hair.

“Well, I must say you’re turning me on in that sun dress of yours.” I wiggled my eye brows and kissed her neck. She had on a white halter top dress with a nice low cut v-neck.

“Good, so you can do me later when I’m too tired to move,” she laughed and unplugged her curling iron.

“You ready?”

“Good as I’m getting I guess.”

“You look stunning.” She smiled and pushed herself up
from the chair in the bathroom. Ella placed her crutches under her arms and slowly began walking out. “I think we should bring the wheel chair.”

“I’ll be fine. Could you carry my purse though?”

“Ella, this is the first you’ve moved around in the past forty-eight hours.” I took her purse from the bed and followed her out of our bedroom.

“I just may have problems with stairs,” she said looking down.

“Yeah, don’t even think about it.” I had her hold her crutches as I carried her down the stairs.

“You smell amazing,” she said placing her lips on mine as we reached the bottom step.

“Mmm, I think I could eat you,” I kissed her neck.

“Not now, or we’ll be late. Let’s go,” she pecked my lips and carefully set her down. “Good?” I asked her as she situated her crutches.

“Yup, let’s go,” she said excitedly and I held the door open and she walked over to my car. I opened the door and helped her in, then placed the crutches in the back. I got in myself and she was already playing with the radio. She landed it on a Shinedown song. I drove out the pier, where we’d be having dinner with Howie, Leigh, Alex and Sammy. I knew it would be somewhat packed because it had rained for nearly three days straight.

“I feel like I haven’t seen them in forever.”

“You haven’t. Tonight will be good.”

“It will,” she reached over and took my hand. I found a parking spot near the restaurant we’d be eating at and parked. I got out of the car, Ella opened her door and put her feet on the ground. I helped her to her feet and handed her the crutches.

“Easy now, first day walking on that ankle.”

“I know Dad,” she said rolling her eyes.

“I’m more worried about you falling on the other leg you just had surgery on oh let’s say YESTERDAY!” I told her as we walked to the restaurant.

“Hey Gimp,” A.J.’s voice popped up behind us. He was with Sammy.

“Hey!” Ella turned around slowly. Sammy gave her a half hug as did A.J. both seemed afraid to knock her over. Which, I can’t say I blame them.

“Howie already got us a table, come on,” Sammy said, placing her hand behind Ella’s back as we made our way over.

“I thought you said Alex and you were just friends?” I heard Ella ask Sammy with a smirk.

“We are, with benefits,” Sammy winked and we reached to where Howie was. He was sitting at a large round table that sat outside.

“Hey there,” Howie stood up and kissed Ella on the cheek and then Sammy.

“How are you?” Ella asked sitting down. I took her crutches and set them against the rail.

“Great, you guys remember Leigh from the pool party?” Howie asked.

“Of course, how are you doing?” Ella smiled.

“I’m doing well. How about you? I’ve heard you’ve you had a rough month,” Leigh said sincerely.

“I’m getting there. Thanks to Nick,” she looked over at me and winked.

“I’ve ordered us a bottle of wine and A.J got you your club soda.” Howie explained and as if the waiter had been near he brought over the drinks. We made light conversation and ordered our food. I got a steak and Ella ordered a Maui Maui dish.

“You guys ready to get started with this tour stuff again you old men?” Sammy asked taking a sip of her wine.

“WE are not old and yes we’re ready,” I shot her a look.

“Nick, we are old,” Howie laughed. “But as long as don’t act like it. I think we should start getting together and working out. Especially this guy here,” Howie patted A.J.’s belly.

“Hey I gave up drinking and took up eating sweets.”

“Yeah well, when you’re coughing in the middle of ‘Everybody’s’ dance you’ll wish you had worked out.”
Howie pointed out.

“Alright so maybe we should start. We can go to that Gold Gym, start Monday?” Alex asked.

“Why not tomorrow?” I asked.

“Ugh,” Alex groaned. “I’m eating all this bread then, I don’t care about carbs or sweets tonight.” He took the bread basket and we all laughed. Our entrees were brought out and we began to dig in.

I glanced over to Ella who had remained pretty quiet and she was picking at her food.

“Do you not like it hon?” I asked and taking a bite of hers.

“No it’s good, I’m just a little sore,” she reached into her purse I had hung behind her chair and took out a prescription bottle. She tapped two into her palm and chased them back with a long sip of her wine.

“That probably wasn’t smart,” I said after the fact.

“What wasn’t?”

“Taking pain pills with wine.”

“Eh, not like we’re out drinking. It’s just a glass of wine.” She put a small piece of fish into her mouth.

An hour later the waiter came back and asked if we wanted dessert. We had talked earlier how we were going to walk down the pier to the Gelato place. Howie took the bill and graciously paid for us. I said I’d get us all dessert.

“You sure you don’t want to bring that home? You had a quarter of it and just the broccoli.” I asked Ella. She looked up to me with a grin and shook her head.

“Nope, I’m good.” I raised my eye brow at her questioning what was going on but didn’t want to start anything here. I helped her stand and she stumbled into me a little.

“Are you drunk?” I laughed.

“Hmm maybe a little tipsy?”

“You had one glass of wine?”

“So I’m a cheap date,” she shrugged and I gave her the crutches. I instantly wished then I had brought her wheel chair.

“Come on,” I rolled my eyes and took her purse following the rest of the crew. Nearly ten minutes later we reached our destination and we ordered. “What do you want?”

“I’ll just have a bite of yours,” she said sitting down on a bench. I shook my head and ordered then paid for all of ours.

“Why are you not eating?” Sammy asked spooning her gelato into her mouth.

“What? I ate? Don’t be silly.” Ella waved her hand in the air carelessly.

“Yeah a bite of your dinner and no gelato.”

“I’m sharing with Nick.”

“Dinner?”

“Eh, I had a big lunch?”

“Liar. What’s going?” Sammy asked being more stern and I was interested into what Ella was going to say. Howie and Sammy had walked down a little further to look at the water and A.J. was by me.

“Nothing is going,” Ella sounded annoyed. “I’m just watching what I put into my body.”

“You’re not with Anthony anymore; you don’t have to stay underweight to keep Nick.”

“If I gain weight, there’s no way I’ll get into shape for tryouts for the school. That’s if I can even get my ankles strong enough for Pointe again.” Sammy sighed and nodded her head understanding Ella.

“You need to take care of yourself though. Your body has been through so much physically and emotionally.”

“I’m fine Samantha,” Ella struggled to stand but once she did she walked over towards balcony to look at the water.

“Anthony was put into prison yesterday. Give her a little more time, she’ll come around.” I told Sammy and then walked over to Ella. “Hey gorgeous,” I wrapped my arm around her small waist and kissed her shoulder.

“Hey,” she whispered. “It’s an amazing night out. I wish we could go down to the beach.”

“Maybe this weekend?” I asked slipping a small spoonful of the cold gelato into her mouth and then kissed her lips. She nodded her head. We had finished our gelato’s and began heading back to our cars.
Noticing Ella was moving slower than before, I stood closer to her, my hand on the small of her back as walked down the ramp of the pier. She stepped forward, cried out a little in pain and as her crutches hit the ground I caught her.

“I’ve got you.” She tilted her head back, her eyes squeezed tight and then she opened them again taking in a deep breath.

“Over do it?” Alex asked kneeling next to me looking at Nick.

“Yeah, it’s her first day on crutches and her right leg isn’t even healed completely.” Standing up with Ella in my arms, A.J. picked up the crutches and walked down to our cars.

After getting Ella in, everyone else came over to say good-bye to her and I climbed in. “You did well for your first day,” I patted her hand and started the car.

“I did,” she smiled. “I thought I could go the whole night.”

“It’s okay, you’ll get there. You start therapy Monday right?”

“Yeah, can’t wait.”

“Want me to stay with you when I bring you?”

“I’d like that,” she smiled at me and then began playing with the radio.