- Text Size +
Another month has come and passed; Ella and I have grown what I’d like think is closer. We’ve actually spent less time together because I’ve been getting together with the fellas working on tour stuff.

Her right ankle has improved tremendously, she’s still on crutches because her left leg is still stuck in the cast but the Doctor said that it was healing nicely. She may even be able to get the cast removed in another month.
Our songs were picked out; we had three new songs to add to the tour and were working on a couple more.

“Ella, I’m home,” I called out to her throwing a bag down by the stairs.

“Kitchen!” She called and I could hear music playing. I made my way to the kitchen and laughed at the sight I was seeing. Ella had one Pointe ballet shoe on her right foot, there was pasta boiling on the stove, and she was stirring tomato sauce while going up on and toe and coming down slowly.

“What in the world are you doing?”

“Making dinner, what does it look like?” She asked. I put my arms around her waist.

“What’s with the ballet?”

“I’m trying to get this ankle stronger to get up on Pointe. I have a theory.”

“Oh do tell.”

“Well, I get this leg good and ready so the time I get this damn cast off I can work immediately on it to get stronger and I won’t have to worry about hurting this ankle again.”

“Hmm,” I said and took the spoon out of the sauce to try it. “Good.”

“Go shower you’re all sweaty.”

“Yeah from the gym and that was after we rehearsed songs for five hours.”

“Poor baby,” she went up on toe and kissed me. “Shower. Dinner will be ready by the time you get out.”

“Alright.” I said and headed up the stairs. I started the shower, put it on extra hot to loosen up my muscles.

Stepping out of my clothes and into the shower I welcomed the beating of the shower. Ten minutes later, I was cleaned up, a pair of sweat pants and a tee was on and I went downstairs.

Ella was still working on her ballet, she was up on her toe, her left leg behind her almost in a straight line with the rest of her body.

“You’re going to hurt yourself,” I said putting my hands on her hips.

“No I’m not.” She rolled her eyes and took her crutches that were against the counter. “Could you carry this out to the table?” She asked at the large bowl of pasta, sauce and turkey meatballs.

“Of course.” We went to the table and sat down.

“How was rehearsal?”

“It went well. We just have to get Fatima out here to help us start choreography. And we have to get an audition in for dancers.”

Ella took a sip of her milk and nodded her head. “Maybe for the second leg of our tour you could dance for us.” I suggested.

“If I’m not away in school for dance.” She pointed out. I must say the girl’s attitude had turned around for the best. She’s been through a lot and for a while I hadn’t heard her talk about dancing again.

“That’s true,” I smiled and took a bite of the pasta. “This is great, thank you for making dinner…again.” I smiled.

“Welcome. So when do I get a whole day of just you and me?”

“Hmm, I don’t know babe. The next couple of months are real crunch time for us.”

“I know,” she took a bite of the meatball.

“I’ll see what I can do for this weekend alright? Why don’t you and Sammy go shopping tomorrow?”

“Maybe, I don’t really need anything.”

“That’s the point of shopping, you get things you don’t need.”

“Mall isn’t me Nick, you know that.”

“Beach?”

“She can’t carry me out to the sand like you can.”

“Hang by the pool.”

“Yeah I may. Now that I have water proof cast on.” There was a few moments of silence as I ate and she pushed around her food the way she usually did. “Nick?” She poke up.

“Yeah?”

“What’s going to happen once the tour starts?”

“With you and I?” I asked and she nodded.

“Well, it depends Elle. One on your leg and your dance; I want you to peruse in your dream but if your leg isn’t ready then I’d like you to come on tour with me.” She put her fork down.

“You’d want me to come with you? I wouldn’t be in the way?”

“No, the guys bring their other halves all the time. I’d get lonely without you.” I said sincerely and she smiled. “You don’t think I’d just leave you?”

“I don’t know?” She shrugged and I got the feeling she felt really small at that moment. I stood up from my chair and went over by her side. I spun her chair to face me.

“I can’t imagine my life without you Ella. You’ve turned me into this man I’ve always wanted to be.”

“I don’t want to be in the way of your career though; it was there before me.”

“Ella, I’m not him. Don’t compare.” Her chin dropped and I tilted it up to kiss her lips. I pulled away and my eyes met hers. “Girl, don’t you know how much I am in love with you?” Her head snapped up a little more.

“You love me?”

“Isn’t it obvious?”

“I’m in love with you.”

“I know you are baby.” I tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear. “I thought you knew I loved you.”

“I guess I did, but hearing the words for the first time just…”

“Means more. I know. Well, Ella, I love you.” I kissed her hard, and her hands wrapped around my head pulling me deeper with her.

“Take me,” she whispered and I picked her up and carried her into our room. Needless to say, we skipped dinner and went straight to dessert.

~*~*~*~*~*

“It’s so hot today,” Sammy called from in the pool lying on a float. Ella was on another on the other side of the pool.

“I know, I love it.”

“I’m getting all the way in,” Sammy hopped of her float and disappeared underwater. The guys and I decided to call it an early day because it was an unusually hot day for Florida. It was over a hundred degrees and we went to my house to go swimming; knowing that the girls would be there.

“COWABUNGA!” Brain yelled and did a cannonball into the pool. The giant wave knocked Ella off her raft.

“Brian!” She yelled spitting water up and grabbing her raft. She then looked up and saw me with a smirk on my face and I jumped in, nearly on top of her. I grabbed her waist as I got in and pulled her into me.

“What are you guys doing here?”

“Came to see my girl, isn’t that obvious?”

“No.”

“Too hot to work!” A.J. jumped in and dunked Sammy under.

“You have sun screen on?” I asked Ella whose shoulders were red.

“Yeah, like an hour ago.”

“Let’s get more on you; I need to put some on too.” We swam to the edge of the pool and I watched Ella struggle to push herself up from the water which was unusual. I gave her a boost and pushed myself out also.

I took a towel and the sunblock from the patio table and dried Ella’s shoulders before applying it to her skin.

She then did the same for me. “I need to use the bathroom, could you hand me my crutches?” She asked and
I walked to the other side of the pool where they were and brought them over. She dried her legs and her cast the best she could and I helped her to her feet.
Her eyes blinked a bunch of times and took her crutches. “Be right back,” she smiled and headed for the house.

Ella went into the bathroom that downstairs and shut the door. She placed her crutches against the door and ran the cold water. She then cupped her hands under the running water and splashed her face a number of times.

Feeling light headed she sat down on the closed toilet she took a hand towel, soaked it and put it on the back of her neck.

“Get it together Ella,” she had whispered to herself. Feeling nauscious all of a sudden she dropped to her knees, opened the lid of the toilet began coughing. Nothing was coming up though besides water she’d been drinking.

“You okay in there?” Alex had asked knocking on the door.

“Uh, I’m fine, be out in a sec-” And she started to dry heave again. This time the door opened, her crutches fell to the floor.

“You sick hon? Want me to get Nick?”

“NO! I mean, I’m fine. I think I got too much sun.”

“Ahh, yeah that will happen.” He rubbed Ella’s bare back. “Nothing will come up huh?”

“No. I need water.”

“Be right back,” Alex closed the door then came out to find me. “Hey man, Ella’s in the bathroom. She’s sorta getting sick but nothing is coming up.”

“What?” I made my way into the house and to the bathroom. I walked in and Ella had her right leg pulled up to her chest, her head on her knee. “What’s going on?”

“Too much sun?” She asked.

“You get sick?”

“Nothing came up.” She started to get to her feet, or I should say foot and I helped her. She fell into the counter and grabbed it hard. “Did you eat today?”

“It’s just too much sun Nick.”

“TELL ME.” I was getting upset now.

“No. And don’t yell at me,” her head was still hanging low.

“You need to eat, have you looked at yourself in a mirror lately? Elle, you’re just skin and bones, you’ve lost any muscle you had; you couldn’t even get out of the pool.”

“Because I can’t work out.”

“But you do and you’re not gaining anything because you’re not fueling yourself. Your ankle will not heal if you have no muscle Ella. You’re smart you know this.”

“Here’s some water,” Alex had come back handing her bottled water.

“Thanks.” She took it and drank a few sips. I watched as her hand shakily brought the bottle to her lips and back down. I was genuinely afraid for her and I didn’t know what to do.

“She’s white as a ghost Nick,” Alex pointed out and I only nodded my head.

“I need to sit,” Ella started going down to her knees again but I put my hand under her arm.

“You’re going to go lay down.” My voice was stern and I handed her the crutches. A.J. took he water and as Ella moved slowly forward we followed. Half way to the living room she stopped.

“I need to sit now,” her voice was low and I picked her up, her crutches crashed to the ground and I put her on the couch. I then disappeared into the kitchen, Alex had stayed with her. I came back out with a yogurt and a spoon and handed it to Ella.

“Eat,” I told her.

“I’m sick to my stomach. In a little bit.”

“No. I’m not doing this. You’re sick because you haven’t eaten. Did you eat yesterday besides the two
bites from dinner?”

“Nick don’t-”

“Don’t what? Watch you kill yourself.”

“Leave me alone,” she threw the yogurt and rolled toward the back of the couch. She curled herself up into a ball and I could hear her crying. I stood up, not having any of it and went back outside.

“Ella,” A.J’s voice softly called rubbing her back. “He’s worried about you; as we are. You’ve been through too much not to take care of yourself. You need to eat girl.”

“I do. I just don’t need to eat as much as you guys.”

“No, but right now you’re eating nothing.”

“I-have to be perfect for Nick.”

“What? You are Doll, what are you talking about? I’ve never Nick be so much in love, the way he is with you.”

“Ella what’s going on?” Sammy came into the room, a towel around her waist.

“Nothing. I’m fine.”

“Not what Nick said. He’s really upset and you’re being a selfish bitch.”

“Sam-”

“A.J. no. She needs to hear this. Sit your boney ass up.” She pulled Ella to a sitting position. “Nick is amazing for you. He’s saved your life countless times and it’s a good thing he stepped in because I was getting tired of it. It’s draining being your friend and to live with you and love you the way he does; you cannot treat him this way. He is NOT Anthony, do not compare. He’s more than attracted to you but not if you’re going to waste away.”

“He’ll fall out of love, and my dancing will be done and-”

“Ella he’s going to fall out of love if you keep being this bitch you’ve become. He’s seen this amazing person who you really are and if you lose that, then yes; he’ll fall out of love. You need to find that girl you once were before you brother died. You could walk into a dark room and light everything up but now darkness follows you.”

“ And this dancing Ella, you’ve had two surgeries on this leg. You need to make new dreams because the way you pop those pain killers tells me it’s going to be a long time before you can even start to walk on it normal. Nick could be that dream. The truth hurts, I’m sorry.” She said the last two words softer as she realized the tears that were streaming down Ella’s face continuously.

I had been standing just outside of the living room listening and it took everything for me not to walk in and hold Ella into my arms. She looked small, weak and vulnerable. Sammy had stood up, took Alex’s hand and walked out. Sam just looked up at me, saying ‘I said what I had to’ and kept walking.

Ella had reached for her crutches that were on the ground and she shakily tried to stand and crashed to her knees.

“Damn it!” She yelled holding her un-casted ankle and more tears streamed down. I walked in at that moment.

“Shh, no hyperventilating today.” I thumbed her cheek. “You hurt your other ankle?” She only nodded her hand still squeezing it. I pried her fingers off to examine it. “You probably just tweaked it.” I picked her up into my arms and carried her up the stairs into my bed room and lay her down.

Ella continued to cry, her hands over her face, her breathing rigid. I gripped her wrists, pinned them behind her and forced her to look in my eyes. “Ella look at me. You’re fine. You need to calm down for me.” Her body was burning up and she was sweating in just her bikini. I stood up, picked her back up into my arms and carried her into the shower. I turned on the cold water and with Ella in my lap, we sat on the floor of the shower.

Almost immediately, she began to relax, her head dropped onto my shoulder and her breathing slowed down. “I’m here, I am not leaving you. We’re together in this no matter what.” I had my own tears form in my eyes as I kissed her forehead.

Five minutes later I felt her body begin to tremble as was mine from the cold water.

“Nick I-I’m sorry,” she whispered and I stood up with her in my arms still. I turned off the water and set Ella on the sink counter. I grabbed a towel from the bar and began to dry her.

“Shh,” I brushed my lips over hers. I dried her leg off and when I reached to her ankle I saw that it had began to already swell up. “Oh boy,” I gently ran my fingers over her foot. I helped her take her swim suit off, wrapped her in a large bath towel and carried her to my room. I then changed into another pair of shorts and went downstairs to get ice.

I took it as though Alex had everyone go which was fine, I didn’t feel like dealing with them all. I also grabbed the yogurt that was on the ground and brought it up with me. I set the ice down on her ankle and sat down next to her.

“Eat half?” I asked stroking her wet hair back. She hesitated and then nodded. I propped a pillow behind her because I could tell how weak she was. She pulled back the seal and stuck the spoon and slowly began to eat.

“You’re going to be alright.” I kissed her temple and wrapped my arms around her.